S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 Factory Defect Possibility

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
W221 Factory Defect Possibility

Hi

My 2007 S550 has Sirius Sat Radio. The antenna on my roof is not 100% secure as I just found out.

Brooklyn, NY is under a serious rain storm - and when I got in the car 1 hour ago, I was reversing out of my driveway, and I noticed that my back seat had about 20 drops worth of water on it - and then looked up at the rear Park Distance Control unit - and saw the drops were forming at that area. I got out of the car and went into the back seat, and a circle area with a 1 foot diameter was soaked! The rain was coming in I assume from that Sat antenna!

I called to schedule a service appointment, but I imagine I will have to now have them SERIOUSLY clean (and I mean SERIOUS) the roof liner of the car or else that is going to start to smell like mold/mildew and god knows whatever else - in about 3 weeks!

Does anyone else have this problem??? This is VERY serious! Leaks!? Isnt that a problem only for old Italian and British Cars??!?

Also - hehe, my horn is broken! It makes an AWFUL sound like an OLD BUICK when I beep Thats gotta be fixed

Bradley

Last edited by Chucky300; 10-11-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
i had a C class couple years ago that had a similar problem. I had a leak thru my front reading light. The leak was fixed under warranty and the headliner was replace as a ring had formed in the headliner around the light as a result of the leak.

good luck
Old 10-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by LETO
i had a C class couple years ago that had a similar problem. I had a leak thru my front reading light. The leak was fixed under warranty and the headliner was replace as a ring had formed in the headliner around the light as a result of the leak.

good luck
Wow!

Good point. I may have them replace the headliner - because this HAD to have happened before since we had quite a few heavy rains in the last couple of months here.

Ill keep you posted.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:46 PM

I would suggest that you go into there and take a look at the roof yourself once the headliner has been removed. Just to make sure it's clean. If you have the Pano roof, aren't there some pretty fancy electrical things up there? I wouldn't want problems to pop up in a few years.

Actually, on our ML, the antenna base has a piece missing, so there's a little hole. Since we park in a garage, we've never noticed anything but I'm srue there's some slight leakage, I'm just too lazy to take it in (also beacuse we're planning to get rid of it soon).

Last edited by kevine310; 10-11-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by kevine310
I would suggest that you go into there and take a look at the roof yourself once the headliner has been removed. Just to make sure it's clean. If you have the Pano roof, aren't there some pretty fancy electrical things up there? I wouldn't want problems to pop up in a few years.

Actually, on our ML, the antenna base has a piece missing, so there's a little hole. Since we park in a garage, we've never noticed anything but I'm srue there's some slight leakage, I'm just too lazy to take it in (also beacuse we're planning to get rid of it soon).
I'll defintely ask to see it. I do have the Pano roof.... I want to see what the deal is here.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Leaks

I doubt its your Sirius antenna. Based on the photos I've seen of your car - that one is on your trunk! Was your car outside during the whole storm? Silly question - but are you sure the roof was fully closed? Where the water comes in, and where it comes out, is not always in close proximity - especially if your car was parked on a slant.

Please keep us updated regarding the root cause of the problem. I also have the Pano roof and was out in the rain yesterday and Tuesday. I didn't notice anything prior to reading your post, but I am now very concerned.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by NJS430
I doubt its your Sirius antenna. Based on the photos I've seen of your car - that one is on your trunk! Was your car outside during the whole storm? Silly question - but are you sure the roof was fully closed? Where the water comes in, and where it comes out, is not always in close proximity - especially if your car was parked on a slant.

Please keep us updated regarding the root cause of the problem. I also have the Pano roof and was out in the rain yesterday and Tuesday. I didn't notice anything prior to reading your post, but I am now very concerned.
Hi!

All your questions are good - and i'll do my best to answer them.
a) My serius antenna is on the roof as you said. Funny enough - today - I saw another S550 with the same antenna - and he had TAPE (BLUE COLORED TAPE) around it. I can only imagine that it is the same problem.

b) My car was parked, ON A SLANT in my driveway, the entire time, outside.

c) My sunroof was totally closed. I am not big on keeping it open because in NY - it has been to humid outside for the past few months - and I just prefer my a/c.

d) If I were you, I would go to the antenna, and give it a slight wiggle - see if it moves. That is supposed to be TOTALLY stuck to the roof - not wiggling a bit like mine. (The way I know that is because I wiggled a friend's Sirius antenna and it was stationary completely)

I will of course keep you all posted - I have my appointment next week.

Bradley

Trending Topics

Old 10-13-2007, 02:09 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Antenna leak

If your SIRIUS antenna is on the roof, then what's the one on your trunk for?

My Pano antenna is tight - very tight. No leaks and I was in the same rain you were.

Do you think your's came that way or did it lossen up over time?

In any case, I'll keep an eye on mine.

Good luck with the repair! Its not fixing the antenna, its getting to it that's going to be the headache. Hopefully they will put it back together correctly.

You should ask them to replace it with Alcantara for your trouble
Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
I was walking on 5th Avenue on the 11th(thursday) at 5pm, right after buying a Diamond Tiffany's earrings for my mother. The city was so flooded that intersections to cross the street were at least 10-12 ft covered in water in length. Meaning its almost impossbile to cross the street. So there is a bunch of people on 5th avenure standing near store fronts. When i See a S550 going at least 40 MPH INTO THE PUDDLE. OMFG. SPLASH so big like a tidal wave, that whole block got WET, everyones suits and bags and everythnig got wet. they were fully soaked. haha