S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

w221 Wood/Leather versus Wood/Plastic Dashboard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
w221 Wood/Leather versus Wood/Plastic Dashboard

My Service Advisor recently commented that the wood+leather dash of the S/CL600 etc (and I assume Designo models) has slightly more "give" and inherent flexibility than the wood/plastic dash of the standard S550, which can sometimes result in more audible ticks or occasional flexing/creaks. This got me wondering how the wood/leather dash is actually constructed, if this really is true, and if anyone else has observed this?

If I start my S600 from overnight cold, in the first few driving minutes I do get a few (really slight) audible ticks and creaks in my dashboard as the temperature equalizes and the car flexes, but this usually goes away after 5-10 minutes. This seems basic material physics and I do not think it is a "problem" - I am not talking about annoying "rattles" here. The interior of the w221 is SO quiet, that I am sure I am hearing minute sounds that would be masked by the engine noise/vibration of any other car. Also I have only done 6,500 miles so the cars structure may perhaps still be breaking in... It is perverse how the very quietness of the w221 makes one more hyper critical of any residual sounds left.

However, if I push hard on some wood areas of my dash, it does seem there is a little more give and flexibility than in some S550's I have sat in, ...of course it could just as easily be slight variation in manufacturing tolerances. Which comes back to the question if there are any differences in the way these dashes are screwed together and if wood/leather really is more flexible or audible? Am I imagining this?

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 05-09-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I don't know how different the construction of the two options is but I doubt the leather one should have more rattle.

There is a known issue with the instrument cluster, temperature changes may make noise when it settles. This can be fixed with some felt tape at appropriate positions. The LCD display and other parts heat up and makes it expand a bit.

Noises or even rattle elsewhere sounds odd.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the interior hasn't broken in yet. I would think that once you've experienced a couple of extreme opposite temperature seasons (like go through winter , spring, summer), the components will have settled a bit and the "give" will absorb tightness which is causing the ticks you mentioned.
My salesman and I brought this up too and he and I think that the more expensive models within a series probably contains more finesse built into it that is not mentioned in the description of the car. In other words, they put a little more time and attention to an S65 than they do an S550. At least it seems that way to me and I've driven them all.
That being said, I really don't recall having an issue with dash clicking, sunroof rattles and things such as this but I do have a problem with my front passenger headrest rattling. I usually just keep it in its most downward position so that it is supported better. Once someone is sitting in the seat, it stops.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the interior hasn't broken in yet. I would think that once you've experienced a couple of extreme opposite temperature seasons (like go through winter , spring, summer), the components will have settled a bit and the "give" will absorb tightness which is causing the ticks you mentioned. ....That being said, I really don't recall having an issue with dash clicking, sunroof rattles and things such as this but I do have a problem with my front passenger headrest rattling. I usually just keep it in its most downward position so that it is supported better. Once someone is sitting in the seat, it stops.
Thanks gents... I certainly don't want to exaggerate the audibility of these occasional ticks. (or perhaps slight creaks) They are not what I would define as "rattles" - a repetitive vibrative type sound... these are very subtle, occasional, non-repetitive, and barely audible ticks which go away after 5-10 minutes... Also I did not hear any audible ticks this winter here in CA, but now it is heating up outside and the AC comes on automatically, I assume there is much more temperature variation and flexing going on in the dash region...

When you look at the shape of the dash mouldings and the way the instrument cluster components fit together there appears a number of areas where materials must rub/expand/contract... It seems that the S550 dash is more of a solid piece of plastic with less potentially moving parts than the S600/65 dash...As stated, it is the sheer quietness of the car which makes one notice these things!

And I do not have any sunroof, seat, or any other noises as far as I can tell - except an occasional light knock behind my seat whenever I put my foot down on the gas, which I suspect is a rear seat belt clasp or something! (or something the kids left in a door pocket)

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 05-09-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 / S430 / E320
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the interior hasn't broken in yet. I would think that once you've experienced a couple of extreme opposite temperature seasons (like go through winter , spring, summer), the components will have settled a bit and the "give" will absorb tightness which is causing the ticks you mentioned.
My salesman and I brought this up too and he and I think that the more expensive models within a series probably contains more finesse built into it that is not mentioned in the description of the car. In other words, they put a little more time and attention to an S65 than they do an S550. At least it seems that way to me and I've driven them all.
That being said, I really don't recall having an issue with dash clicking, sunroof rattles and things such as this but I do have a problem with my front passenger headrest rattling. I usually just keep it in its most downward position so that it is supported better. Once someone is sitting in the seat, it stops.

You can have the dealer turn on the option that lowers the passenger headrest automatically if nobody is sitting in the seat. The option is set to off off by default for the US marketplace. I had them turn mine on because I prefer it that way. Don't really understand why its not on by default.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by NJS430
You can have the dealer turn on the option that lowers the passenger headrest automatically if nobody is sitting in the seat. The option is set to off off by default for the US marketplace. I had them turn mine on because I prefer it that way. Don't really understand why its not on by default.
Thanks. I hope they also can do the same for the rear headrests. They go up when a passenger sits in them but remain up even after start/stop cycles. This blocks my rearview mirror view.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks. I hope they also can do the same for the rear headrests. They go up when a passenger sits in them but remain up even after start/stop cycles. This blocks my rearview mirror view.
They do? Hey, you are right... I noticed that they seem to go up mysteriously but was never sure why... A mystery solved. Thanks!

You never stop learning with the w221... always some new aspect of its character to discover... its almost alive!

Chris
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
no extra care is given to a 600 than a 550. That would be stupid and bad business practice. Why would they spend longer on a 600? Its the same car on the same line at the same line speed.

Regarding assembly of the dash, the basic frame of it is the same but you add the leather component. Leather tends to be very noisy, thats why if you notice MB sews in cloth material on the seat leather where it touches the plastic base of the seat. If it was leather it would creak and tick (BMW does not do this, thats why their seats creak and tick). Bottom line, when leather rubs against another surface (plastic, glass, etc) it will make noise.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kar don
Regarding assembly of the dash, the basic frame of it is the same but you add the leather component. Leather tends to be very noisy, thats why if you notice MB sews in cloth material on the seat leather where it touches the plastic base of the seat. If it was leather it would creak and tick (BMW does not do this, thats why their seats creak and tick). Bottom line, when leather rubs against another surface (plastic, glass, etc) it will make noise.
Great feedback - thanks! Makes perfect sense - I never thought of leather as being inherently noisy but it appears there are several areas in the dash where leather and other materials interface and your insight is quite logical.

As stated I really don't want to overstate this as a "problem".. These are micro audible ticks that are non-repetitive and not a big deal... just that the car is so quiet so you hear everything!

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 05-13-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
On the W220, there's a button on the dash that raises or lowers the rear headrests. One touch drops. Hold longer and it raises them. This should be in the W221 S600 as well. Center console button to the left of the COMAND controller, with a headrest icon. Just press briefly and the rear headrests should drop.

Last edited by whoover; 05-13-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by whoover
On the W220, there's a button on the dash that raises or lowers the rear headrests. One touch raises. Hold longer and it drops them. Did this get decontented in the W221?
No, there is still a button that manually drops and raises the rear headrests on the w221 front console. (To the left of the COMMAND hand controller)

Chris
Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
No, there is still a button that manually drops and raises the rear headrests on the w221 front console. (To the left of the COMMAND hand controller)

Chris
Yes, that's it. It sounds like trumpet doesn't know about it.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
BTW, it puts the read headrest up when someone fastens a rear seatbelt. You can tell your passengers not to if you don't want your view blocked.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Great feedback - thanks! Makes perfect sense - I never thought of leather as being inherently noisy but it appears there are several areas in the dash where leather and other materials interface and your insight is quite logical.

As stated I really don't want to overstate this as a "problem".. These are micro audible ticks that are non-repetitive and not a big deal... just that the car is so quiet so you hear everything!

Chris

Yeah, Mercedes is usually pretty good about anti-squeak design. This is what im talking about. If you look at this picture below, you will see the seat is touching the plastic of the harman/kardon subwoofer (top left of the photo). That part of the seat is a mesh fabric, if it were leather you would get a creaking noise as the body flexed over bumps.