S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

how to turn chimes off when starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
how to turn chimes off when starting

By habit I usually start off then put my seatbelt on. For some strange reason the chime bell goes off about 15 times before shutting up. I don't recall it ever doing this. In fact the new S class doesn't have those chimes ringing when you shut off the car and open the door like the previous generation did. (a nice plus).
Is there a setting to get those chimes to shut the hell up, or do I now have to put my seatbelt on first before starting the car?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Why not just put the seatbelt on from the beginning? I think the dealer can shut it up through Star Diagnostics though.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by carsnob
By habit I usually start off then put my seatbelt on. For some strange reason the chime bell goes off about 15 times before shutting up. I don't recall it ever doing this.

Mine does that but I had to go out to my car and start it up and put it in reverse to realize it. I am so used to it I'm not even aware of it anymore. I'm like you, I start up the car, back up out of the garage and out into the street(the beeping is over before I even get out of the garage), then as I drive forward away from the house I place my seatbelt on. It just doesn't bother me I guess.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:42 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Yeah, chimes have never bothered me...have a start-up routine of putting belt on before turning ignition key....and always re-activate various seat bolsters (in memory settings) and dash settings (dig speedo), etc before shifting out of Park...would hate reaching around for a belt (or anything else) once car in motion, even at driveway speeds....
Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Yeah, chimes have never bothered me...have a start-up routine of putting belt on before turning ignition key....and always re-activate various seat bolsters (in memory settings) and dash settings (dig speedo), etc before shifting out of Park...would hate reaching around for a belt (or anything else) once car in motion, even at driveway speeds....
Good to hear you "chime" in on the conversation WSH. After becoming more and more aware of this, I've noticed twice this weekend that my routine is actually different than what I claimed earlier. I DO put on my belt first before doing anything else after starting the car. But even when I don't , the chimes don't bother me.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the lowering of my right outside mirror and the activation of my rear camera on a few occasions is sometimes very delayed in becoming activated. It sometimes takes 15 seconds for those two features to wake up after going into reverse. It doesn't happen everytime but I'd say once every 10 times or so
Old 09-27-2008, 03:57 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Good to hear you "chime" in on the conversation WSH. After becoming more and more aware of this, I've noticed twice this weekend that my routine is actually different than what I claimed earlier. I DO put on my belt first before doing anything else after starting the car. But even when I don't , the chimes don't bother me.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the lowering of my right outside mirror and the activation of my rear camera on a few occasions is sometimes very delayed in becoming activated. It sometimes takes 15 seconds for those two features to wake up after going into reverse. It doesn't happen everytime but I'd say once every 10 times or so
Trumpet, have noticed ?5% of time that rear-view cam takes ?2-3 secs to become active upon shifting into reverse....and about 5% of time rt mirror tilt down func takes ?10-20secs to revert to normal position upon shifting back into Drive....given how complex these cars are, would say these "issues" are incredibly trivial and self-curing...95%+ of time am simply amazed how flawlessly these incredibly complex cars work.....but detail-oriented guys like us notice (and can be annoyed by) these subtle things....most guys who own S/CL haven't a clue....
Old 09-27-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by WSH
Trumpet, have noticed ?5% of time that rear-view cam takes ?2-3 secs to become active upon shifting into reverse....and about 5% of time rt mirror tilt down func takes ?10-20secs to revert to normal position upon shifting back into Drive....given how complex these cars are, would say these "issues" are incredibly trivial and self-curing...95%+ of time am simply amazed how flawlessly these incredibly complex cars work.....but detail-oriented guys like us notice (and can be annoyed by) these subtle things....most guys who own S/CL haven't a clue....
Interesting... I have also noticed very rarely my rear camera takes a few seconds to become active... usually accompanied by a quick flickering like it is some ancient TV coming to life... It is rare though... it has probably done this 5 or 6 times in the past year. I suspect there is nothing wrong... I am sure if I analyzed it there would be some consistent cause like the car always being idle for days or something and the electrics taking just a bit longer to come to life..

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2008, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
As you know, I wasn't complaining necessarily. You brought out a great point.....these cars are so well made we have to actually LOOK for something to complain about

You're right, just about every problem I've searched for self -heals itself within a few days and usually never returns.

The only complaint I have had since I bought my car is a slight rattle in the passenger headrest. No big deal though and it is not there when someone is sitting in the seat. I know it is just slack in the upper portion of the rest.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Interesting... I have also noticed very rarely my rear camera takes a few seconds to become active... usually accompanied by a quick flickering like it is some ancient TV coming to life... It is rare though... it has probably done this 5 or 6 times in the past year. I suspect there is nothing wrong... I am sure if I analyzed it there would be some consistent cause like the car always being idle for days or something and the electrics taking just a bit longer to come to life..

Chris

You described exactly what I'm talking about. First thing that came to my mind when you said "ancient TV" was at least when the screen turns off, the picture doesn't shrink to that little round dot that fades away in the middle of the screen like the old black and white TVs did prior to the '70s.....some of you may be too young to know what I'm talking about.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by trumpet1
You described exactly what I'm talking about. First thing that came to my mind when you said "ancient TV" was at least when the screen turns off, the picture doesn't shrink to that little round dot that fades away in the middle of the screen like the old black and white TVs did prior to the '70s.....some of you may be too young to know what I'm talking about.
Alas - I am not!

(Just old enough to remember my families first color TV.. and seeing Star Trek in color for the very first time after black and white was like... wow!

...we were so deprived back then

Chris
Old 09-27-2008, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Alas - I am not!

(Just old enough to remember my families first color TV.. and seeing Star Trek in color for the very first time after black and white was like... wow!

...we were so deprived back then

Chris

LOL.

We only had 3, maybe 4 channels, but what we had was 20 times better than the 350 choices of crap that's on now.