S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

To extend warranty? Or invest the $ and self insure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
To extend warranty? Or invest the $ and self insure

My '07 S 600 has 36 mos. left on the fact. warr. Many of you guys like WSH flip your cars like burgers, but after I've flipped so many cars, this one's a keeper.
Hence the S 600 has all the toys and won't leave one wanting...
So is it worth paying 6-7 grand for a 2 or 3 yr extended warranty? Of course a V12 could be a pricy repair. At the same time, investing the $$ may the wiser in the end since these cars are generally quite bulletproof, mechanically speaking...
Old 10-19-2008, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy the extended warranty from MB, it will make your experience with the car that much better knowing that there is nothing to worry about.

The mechanical parts of the car are usually great, but AC, seat ventilators, or any one of the many systems may fail in the next few years.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:53 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by carsnob
My '07 S 600 has 36 mos. left on the fact. warr. Many of you guys like WSH flip your cars like burgers, but after I've flipped so many cars, this one's a keeper.
Hence the S 600 has all the toys and won't leave one wanting...
So is it worth paying 6-7 grand for a 2 or 3 yr extended warranty? Of course a V12 could be a pricy repair. At the same time, investing the $$ may the wiser in the end since these cars are generally quite bulletproof, mechanically speaking...
Yes - I was in the same position. I bought a 100,000 mile / 7 year warranty for my S600. The warranty prices have gone up quite a bit of late, but that amount amortized for another 6 years for peace of mind is digestible. (More so in my case as I essentially got the warranty for free from my dealer in compensation for missing park assist/bind spot assist on my early MY08 S600) You could invest that money sure - but piece of mind that anything conceivable that could go wrong will be fixed has a value also.

I am certainly not into flipping cars every 6-12 months! That is financial lunacy unless you have $$$ to burn. With the S600 there is no where else to go in its category... you have the best car in its class conceivable - the only one better will be the next S600... say 6-7 years out!

Chris
Old 10-19-2008, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Just interesting how MB mkaes money on extended warranties selling them for cheap and then deal with expensive repairs.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by carsnob
That made me laugh.

I too will be facing this issue. Chase Bank (who I financed mine through) , offered me the extended warranty for $4600. I'm going to have to do this for the same reasons you mention. There just isn't any other car on the market compared to the W221 S600.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 AM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
thanks Chris, Trumpet and Unterturkheim.
Good advice. I suppose once you do drop the $ then you forget about it and the peace of mind is definitely worth something, and as you say, it could be the little things that add up...
Old 10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Yeah, getting new MBs every 6mos is lunacy...but having done it for some 10yrs, must say it's damn enjoyable and addictive

Seriously, biggest reason I wouldn't advise anyone to keep any car beyond 2-3yrs is decay of various safety systems, like airbag systems/sensors, etc...

For years, have leased a new S-Class every 2yrs for my mother (60yo; no interest in cars; drives <5K mis/yr; would prefer a Camry every 5-10yrs, as she views MBs as too extravagant)

Wouldn't allow anyone I care about to drive anything less than a new S-Class....would rather spend a few extra bucks and err on side of maximal safety I can afford to provide....

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2008, 02:58 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by WSH
Yeah, getting new MBs every 6mos is lunacy...but having done it for some 10yrs, must say it's damn enjoyable and addictive

Seriously, biggest reason I wouldn't advise anyone to keep any car beyond 2-3yrs is decay of various safety systems, like airbag systems/sensors, etc...

For years, have leased a new S-Class every 2yrs for my mother (60yo; no interest in cars; drives <5K mis/yr; would prefer a Camry every 5-10yrs, as she views MBs as too extravagant)

Wouldn't allow anyone I care about to drive anything less than a new S-Class....would rather spend a few extra bucks and err on side of maximal safety I can afford to provide....
How exactly does an air bag "decay"? If anything, it's the engine that would.

Warren Buffet (you know, that richest guy on the planet) drives a Cadillac that he's supposedly owned for 10-some years.... So it's not like if you have all the money in the world you can change cars every 2-3 years. IMO - changing cars that frequently (and having unending car payments) is plain dumb.

Either that or one must have million$ to throw (literally) ....... and even in that event, most people who can throw $110k on a car every 2-3 years would probably do something better with their $$$.

These cars are timeless - they hold their value over time. Even a 10 yr. old S looks classy and cool in 2008.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by WSH

People/friends r still waiting for pics/images or your cars/autos/vehicles. a new thread/string has been started/begun just for that...
Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 PM

1953 Fiat Topolino
Back to the original topic and post...

Since it is on topic, let me paraphrase what I have said before on the subject at hand. I purchased the MB Extended Warranty last December (nearly one year ago) for the 2007 CL600 I own. It was negotiated at the same time I purchased the car from a US MB dealer (it had 8,000 miles, used by dealer's CEO & never titled, so sold as 'new' at great discount from MSRP). The MB Extended Warranty I chose was for three additional years and up to 100K miles in total. So, in my case, the car is covered up to July, 2014 and it's fully transferable to a new private party owner (doesn't apply if I sell it to a MB dealer). Retail List price on the MB Extended Warranty back then was $4,800 (it recently went up in price) but I got it at dealer's cost as the result, or as part of, my negotiations for the purchase of the car. At the time I thought the extended warranty, even at full retail, was very well priced considering we are dealing here with a V12 and a car loaded with advanced technical gadgets and options that will be very expensive to repair. I do believe that since I bought the car outright (not leased it) this Mercedes extended warranty will be an important 'asset' to have when I decide to resell the CL600 down the road. It might distinguish my car from others on the block and it might sell for more money and/or more quickly given that it has the extended Mercedes Benz factory warranty. It also gives me the option to keep the car longer than I would normally would (past the standard 4 year new car warranty that comes with every US MB sold), should I wish to do so. Frankly, I think most owners would want to avoid the anxiety of having an expired factory warranty on such a highly complex technological vehicle, regardless how good or reliable these new Mercedes S and CL are (apparently) turning out to be. Carsnob, I throw my 2 cents into the mix of responses you are getting re: your question. For all the reasons stated, I would seriously consider the Extended Warranty, especially one written by Mercedes Benz itself. Saludos, Z356.

Last edited by Z356; 10-20-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
Simply not true.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Z356
Since it is on topic, let me paraphrase what I have said before on the subject at hand. I purchased the MB Extended Warranty last December (nearly one year ago) for the 2007 CL600 I own. It was negotiated at the same time I purchased the car from a US MB dealer (it had 8,000 miles, used by dealer's CEO & never titled, so sold as 'new' at great discount from MSRP). The MB Extended Warranty I chose was for three additional years and up to 100K miles in total. So, in my case, the car is covered up to July, 2014 and it's fully transferable to a new private party owner (doesn't apply if I sell it to a MB dealer). Retail List price on the MB Extended Warranty back then was $4,800 (it recently went up in price) but I got it at dealer's cost as the result, or as part of, my negotiations for the purchase of the car. At the time I thought the extended warranty, even at full retail, was very well priced considering we are dealing here with a V12 and a car loaded with advanced technical gadgets and options that will be very expensive to repair. I do believe that since I bought the car outright (not leased it) this Mercedes extended warranty will be an important 'asset' to have when I decide to resell the CL600 down the road. It might distinguish my car from others on the block and it might sell for more money and/or more quickly given that it has the extended Mercedes Benz factory warranty. It also gives me the option to keep the car longer than I would normally would (past the standard 4 year new car warranty that comes with every US MB sold), should I wish to do so. Frankly, I think most owners would want to avoid the anxiety of having an expired factory warranty on such a highly complex technological vehicle, regardless how good or reliable these new Mercedes S and CL are (apparently) turning out to be. Carsnob, I throw my 2 cents into the mix of responses you are getting re: your question. For all the reasons stated, I would seriously consider the Extended Warranty, especially one written by Mercedes Benz itself. Saludos, Z356.
+1

That S600 "deal of a lifetime" would be a great buy with the extended warranty, 7 years, 100k miles of coverage on an S600 for about 100 even.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Simply not true.
agreed. There is no reason to believe a 2, 5, or even 10 year old S-class will all of a sudden become unsafe.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Buy the warranty. It will probably pay for itself in the first year.

6 or 7 grand is a good deal for an S-Class warranty....just don't buy an aftermarket warranty.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
How exactly does an air bag "decay"? If anything, it's the engine that would.

Warren Buffet (you know, that richest guy on the planet) drives a Cadillac that he's supposedly owned for 10-some years.... So it's not like if you have all the money in the world you can change cars every 2-3 years. IMO - changing cars that frequently (and having unending car payments) is plain dumb.

Either that or one must have million$ to throw (literally) ....... and even in that event, most people who can throw $110k on a car every 2-3 years would probably do something better with their $$$.

These cars are timeless - they hold their value over time. Even a 10 yr. old S looks classy and cool in 2008.
Its apparent to me Warren Buffet is not an auto enthusiast. If I had the money to buy/lease new every two years I certainly would for the sake of having the latest/greatest/tech. Unfortunately I do not, so I have to force myself to keep these cars longer. Although it is much easier to force myself when there is nothing I would rather have.

I'm considering the extended as well. Is there a disadvantage of going with a bumper to bumper warrantee from the local bank or credit union if its a few grand less than MB?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by RajwanyS550
People/friends r still waiting for pics/images or your cars/autos/vehicles. a new thread/string has been started/begun just for that...
Wow, this charade is still going on?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Not to be funny, but the "decay" issue on MB's after being 2-3 years old is

These cars, especially the higher end MB's will last for years and still maintain the elegance and safety. I have a E320 1998, 187K on it, and it still rides strong. I get the routine scheduled work on it, and the only problem was a left cat going bad. However, that many miles on a cat are excellent.

Trading cars on this level is insane within 2-3 years. Even most with that kind of money don't practice it, but to each his own.

Now the warranty, extended MB is the way to go. There are two other threads where I went into intricate detail as to why. 2 reasons: labor rates & some MB dealers don't take aftermarket.

Don't get stuck like some people have with a bill on a transmission or ABC where your warranty will only foot 2/3 of the bill, or just 3/4. Horror stories on that, but there are some aftermarkets that are pretty good. Bottom line, MB warranty is preferred.

On the self-insure it depends some on the model you have. On the S Class, that can get really high quick. I asked this question only to get a smart aleck stupid answer thinking I could not afford to get the car fixed. I will do you better, you are asking what is more cost effective, correct?

I posed this, if I save $5K with a 3% interest rate (ING) and use it for a warranty fund was it more cost effective? To break it down, on my CLS for instance, 1 repair on the ABC could easily cost 3K. AC unit, $3200, some of the module boards, $2300-3K a pop.

So just paying the one time MB warranty with $0 deductible for 7y/100K miles is most cost effective due to prices of parts/labor/inflation.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by 1985mb
Wow, this charade is still going on?
Sure is, and pretty nuts. To date I have never seen any solid proof of ownership of said MB's, personally I am not waiting on it. Not sure about why pics were never produced though.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Not sure about why pics were never produced though.
Gee, I wonder why
Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Not to be funny, but the "decay" issue on MB's after being 2-3 years old is

These cars, especially the higher end MB's will last for years and still maintain the elegance and safety. I have a E320 1998, 187K on it, and it still rides strong. I get the routine scheduled work on it, and the only problem was a left cat going bad. However, that many miles on a cat are excellent.

Trading cars on this level is insane within 2-3 years. Even most with that kind of money don't practice it, but to each his own.

Now the warranty, extended MB is the way to go. There are two other threads where I went into intricate detail as to why. 2 reasons: labor rates & some MB dealers don't take aftermarket.

Don't get stuck like some people have with a bill on a transmission or ABC where your warranty will only foot 2/3 of the bill, or just 3/4. Horror stories on that, but there are some aftermarkets that are pretty good. Bottom line, MB warranty is preferred.

On the self-insure it depends some on the model you have. On the S Class, that can get really high quick. I asked this question only to get a smart aleck stupid answer thinking I could not afford to get the car fixed. I will do you better, you are asking what is more cost effective, correct?

I posed this, if I save $5K with a 3% interest rate (ING) and use it for a warranty fund was it more cost effective? To break it down, on my CLS for instance, 1 repair on the ABC could easily cost 3K. AC unit, $3200, some of the module boards, $2300-3K a pop.

So just paying the one time MB warranty with $0 deductible for 7y/100K miles is most cost effective due to prices of parts/labor/inflation.
Good post! Also you are paying for peace of mind backed up by MB... (which an after market warranty does not always give you)

Knowing that I can now run my S600 for another 6 years with no unpredictable expenses (besides gas) is prudent financial planning... for the next 6 years I can put my money where it should be.... rescuing my retirement from Wall Street!

Yes of course these cars will last for a very long time indeed if properly maintained and looked after... I think the broader point WSH did not properly make (but has done so in other posts) is that contemporary cars (especially down market) are more "disposable" (due to rapid technology advances) than they might have been in the past... That if you want the latest safety and gadgets, then a 1 to 2-year buying cycle is for you... easy credit and leasing deals were increasingly making it possible for a lot of (over reaching) owners to do this cost effectively... Probably no longer....

Chris