S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

interested in comparison of S550 4Matic to '06 Audi A8 W12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s 500
interested in comparison of S550 4Matic to '06 Audi A8 W12

any views of the two ?- currently very happy with a '06 S500 4Matic but coming to end of warranty so might change to a low mileage '06 W12 - experience or opinions would be appreciated - thank you
Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Never have owned one but I've had some experience with W12. Very , very smooth engine.

I have driven A8 8 cylinders lately and the car is very well constructed and very beautiful. The Audi W12 /v8 would be my 2nd best car on my list. I would pick it over Lexus and BMW.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by Derby
any views of the two ?- currently very happy with a '06 S500 4Matic but coming to end of warranty so might change to a low mileage '06 W12 - experience or opinions would be appreciated - thank you
I've seen one of them (wel was prob. an 07/08) at the last Detroit Auto Show - was parked next to an S8.

It truely looked beautiful and if it's well equipped, you can't go wrong (I think it might come standard with rear entertainment system, 2(!) monitors in headrests. At least the 08 did.

When it comes to craftmanship, Audi is TOP!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I detailed an A8 W12 and thought the car was absolutely amazing. Full leather interior trim (dash and doors) and nice little creature comforts. I'd love to own one.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I like the timeless , no nonsense design of Audi A8s. I would say at first, the newly designed grille was controversial, but I've grown to like its commanding presence.

The rest of the car has always impressed me.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 AM

s 500
Thanks for your this. When u tried were conditions such that u could make an assessment of quartro compared to 4matic?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM

s 500
Recognizing that direct comparisons r difficult, your comment raises two questions: is the level of interior workmanship superior to Mercedes and was the W12 u detailed a step above the current s550?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 AM

s 500
Thnks for your reply. That has been my experience with the quality level. I was surprised at the relatively low cost (-1000) for pre-paying for the 5,000 mile maintenance visits- am I missing something. My S500 costs almost that much at it's scheduled service visits, tho they r less frequent than every 5k
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Looking to come down a notch or two in the world are you?
Why not get a slightly used '07 S class?
After driving an S Class, you'd be disappointed in an Audi, or I least I sure would!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Yes like carsnob an Audi would not do it for me either.. Intellectually, rationally, price-wise, I like the A8... The W12 engine if not a classic V12 is in the same category.. the A8 build quality and attention to detail is excellent. In every A8 I have sat in I have been really impressed.

...and yet emotionally I am left cold. An A8 gives me no sense of driving a car that is part of a long tradition, has none of the feel-good feelings I get every time I sit behind that imperious star on my S-Class, has no sense that it is a rolling benchmark of automotive progress admired and watched for the world over, has far less design elegance than a Mercedes. Most people have no idea what it is. Frankly I know I would be bored with an A8 in days.

Superficial? Probably, but then I am a flesh and blood emotional human being and you can not dial that out of the car purchasing equation.

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 01-14-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Drove a new, ?'06 A8 as a loaner car for a day when my then-Porsche was in for svc

Highly disappointed w/brief expce....weak ergonomics (basics like easily visible digital speed readout)....more troubling was driving precision/stability (or lack thereof)....awful steering precision, clunky gearbox, sloppy brake pedal feel, poor chassis body control (even at 65MPH on a dry CA fwy)....reminded me of the awful MB Airmatic chassis that 4Matics suffer

Anecdotally, Audis (like Porsches) have good build quality...but seem to suffer numerous irritating electric/mechanical glitches, despite their lack of leading-edge tech innovation, like ABC, DistPlus, etc etc...lack of tech innovation should allow higher quality/reliability, right???

Most of my colleagues back East have opted for 600 w/proper winter tires as a far safer, more precise, more luxurious driver's car than any 4Matic....suspect 600 brakes and ABC chassis set-up (w/proper tires) offer more capable braking/traction in any emergent evasive maneuver on dry/sloppy roads...and Winter weather only occurs ~5mos/yr, even back East
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by WSH
.reminded me of the awful MB Airmatic chassis that 4Matics suffer

600 w/proper winter tires as a far safer, more precise, more luxurious driver's car than any 4Matic....suspect 600 brakes and ABC chassis set-up (w/proper tires) offer more capable braking/traction in any emergent evasive maneuver on dry/sloppy roads
what in the world are you on about now?

awful airmatic chassis? Airmatic is a system of air struts. The 4 matic has only minor differences in this area, primarily in the design of the control arms to account for the front propeller shafts. The chassis is the same for rwd and 4matic cars.

Are you really arguing that a twin turbo v12 with proper winter tires is better than a 4matic with winter tires? If so, you have lost your mind.

Safer, no, safety goes to the 4matic every time.
more precise? again, what the hell?
more luxurious? perhaps

You don't seem to have a clue, regardless of how many mercedes you've owned.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by Oliverk

awful airmatic chassis? Airmatic is a system of air struts. The 4 matic has only minor differences in this area, primarily in the design of the control arms to account for the front propeller shafts. The chassis is the same for rwd and 4matic cars.

Are you really arguing that a twin turbo v12 with proper winter tires is better than a 4matic with winter tires? If so, you have lost your mind.

more luxurious? perhaps

Very well said.

Of course the V12 is better in the snow, I mean the V8 hardly has enough power to get out of it's own way

OP- You couldn't go wrong with the A8 W12 or even W221 S550 4-matic. The Audi has great power, rarity and a years proven AWD system. The Merc is a newer chassis with more gadgets and more than enough power. I've also heard the 4-matic works well.

Test drive both and see what you like best. I usually buy new (prefer the new car smell) but bought my W220 used and I'd say something like the W12 A8 is another car that only makes sense as a second hand purchase.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by Oliverk

more luxurious? perhaps

Oliverk,
relax,this thread it's not worth of having a heart attack
Different opinions, different views.
I think WSH ment suspension instead of chassis.
My question to you, have you ever compared (no bs) ABC vs airmatic? I'm not talking on the paper, in theory. Real driving.
In case you haven't, I'll give you a hint. Day and night. Heaven and hell.
Tight cornering and flobby one. Sporty and weekend(ish) like.
I can go on and on.
My point is, that 4matic will give you a head start up to maybe 20mph. Four wheels pull, then nothing - your driving skills should take over, (given both cars (600 vs 550) have winter tires).
4matic/all wheel drive in a deep snow being stuck - different story. But lets face it, how many times we are being in this situation (poor driving) versus all year round enjoyig tight suspension?
4matic is NOT auto Holly Grail.
False sence of safety of many drivers gave auto body shops a lot of work. Simple law of physics will prevail in this case.
And ABC (mind you) defines law of gravity. Try it, you will be shocked.
Compare, compare, compare...... and then ...

My CL600 with winter Pirellis SotoZero are simply great for 4 months of winter, then summer Michelins will take over. Auto heaven.

4matic = gimmick of safe driving, advertising hype for weekend driving. That's it.
Mark.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by markopolo
My question to you, have you ever compared (no bs) ABC vs airmatic? I'm not talking on the paper, in theory. Real driving.
In case you haven't, I'll give you a hint. Day and night. Heaven and hell.
Tight cornering and flobby one. Sporty and weekend(ish) like.
I can go on and on.
My point is, that 4matic will give you a head start up to maybe 20mph. Four wheels pull, then nothing - your driving skills should take over, (given both cars (600 vs 550) have winter tires).
4matic/all wheel drive in a deep snow being stuck - different story. But lets face it, how many times we are being in this situation (poor driving) versus all year round enjoyig tight suspension?
4matic is NOT auto Holly Grail.
False sence of safety of many drivers gave auto body shops a lot of work. Simple law of physics will prevail in this case.
And ABC (mind you) defines law of gravity. Try it, you will be shocked.
Compare, compare, compare...... and then ...

My CL600 with winter Pirellis SotoZero are simply great for 4 months of winter, then summer Michelins will take over. Auto heaven.

4matic = gimmick of safe driving, advertising hype for weekend driving. That's it.
Mark.
Mark,
Of course I've compared both. I drove several 220 S600s and 1 S65, all with abc before making my purchase. I have also driven my fathers sl55, which has abc. I have not driven a 221 abc car, but I don't recall the systems being very different.

You seem to be overly harsh on the airmatic, and over positive on the abc. Yes, ABC has better body control. Neither car handles very well. Both cars weigh well over 4000lbs, have a high center of gravity, and have a lot of weight up front. That results in a lot of understeer. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can put every type of electronic, hydraulic or mechanical gizmo on a 200" long, 4300lb car, but it will not handle like a sports car. period.

4-matic gives me a headstart to 20? ok, isn't that when I would most need it? Almost any car, even my mustang can usually do ok once Im moving. That said, I've had enough high powered rwd cars in my life to know that getting going is the toughest part. A slight incline, a bit of ice, and you're going nowhere. The s-class is so heavy that its a bit easier than the other cars I'm referring to, but there is no denying that for acceleration, the AWD 4matic is better than RWD.

I don't necessarily get stuck in deep snow very often, but on the off chance that I do, I'd prefer not to be stuck like a jackass not being able to move in my $150k vehicle.

Anybody who buys a luxury boat for its "tight suspension" has a screw loose in my opinion. I have absolutely ZERO desire for a tight suspension on my luxury daily driver. I want soft, quiet, and comfortable. If I want tight suspensions, I have weekend sports cars for that.

I never said 4-matic was the holy grail, but I think its an unobtrusive system that to me, makes the car feel very secure in the rain and snow, and has no serious negatives in dry weather (don't care much about that 1mpg or that .15 seconds in acceleration).

You are bordering on ridiculous with your last comment. ABC does not defy the laws of anything. An advanced and impressive system (reliability is iffy) to be sure, but certainly not rewriting physics text books.

Look, everybody likes what they have, and thats why they have it.

I think airmatic is great. Comfortable ride on conv. mode, and flat enough for moderately hard driving on sports 2. I would never take it around turns or go WOT constantly like I was in a sports car, so the rest really doesn't interest me.

Not to mention, for about 80% of buyers, a twin turbo V12 is absolutely overkill, and the 390bhp s550 is more than quick enough.