S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Rear seats belts warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Rear seats belts warning

Is there a rear seat belt warning or not? If not, can it be activated via a software tweak?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 S550 4matic; '10 RX350; '14 E350 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Armadillo888
Is there a rear seat belt warning or not? If not, can it be activated via a software tweak?
I wish there was.

I tell my rear seat passengers that the a/c won't be directed towards them unless their seat belt is fastened.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The face lift would likely have an indicator because the 204 tells at the cluster if rear seat belts are engaged. The 212 even shows which ones are engaged. But neither one gives a warning tone if the passenger does not fasten the belt. I guess there are still too many countries where seat belts are not mandatory or passengers just don't use them.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The face lift would likely have an indicator because the 204 tells at the cluster if rear seat belts are engaged. The 212 even shows which ones are engaged. But neither one gives a warning tone if the passenger does not fasten the belt. I guess there are still too many countries where seat belts are not mandatory or passengers just don't use them.

Exactly. In many countries, the REAR seatbelts are optional (and in some countries ANY seatbelt is optional). It would be extra work for MB to create different seatbelt sensors, wiring configurations, computer software to handle the extra 2 sensors (or 3 if you count the middle seat), and indicator lights and install them in different cars sent to different countries. And what if there aren't passengers in the rear seat(s)? That means MB has to install passenger sensors to sense if passengers are in those seats as well. MB (as most other car manufacturer) is in the process of reducing costs, not increasing them...

Last edited by chokaay; 08-01-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
It amazes me you know MB so much from the inside. Do you work for MB? Is there a list of car codes like 204, 212 .. etc.?

Yeah, right, there should be a warning light somewhere on the headliner as in a airplane.. S-Class is like a small private jet after all
Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by hstmercedes
I wish there was.

I tell my rear seat passengers that the a/c won't be directed towards them unless their seat belt is fastened.
Neat trick
Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by chokaay
Exactly. In many countries, the REAR seatbelts are optional (and in some countries ANY seatbelt is optional). It would be extra work for MB to create different seatbelt sensors, wiring configurations, computer software to handle the extra 2 sensors (or 3 if you count the middle seat), and indicator lights and install them in different cars sent to different countries. And what if there aren't passengers in the rear seat(s)? That means MB has to install passenger sensors to sense if passengers are in those seats as well. MB (as most other car manufacturer) is in the process of reducing costs, not increasing them...
I don't think that would be such an extra cost to implement this feature. My 2008 already raises headrests automatically upon weighting back seats.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think that would be such an extra cost to implement this feature. My 2008 already raises headrests automatically upon weighting back seats.
It isn't from weight on the seats but from the seatbelts attached. The car has the HW to indicate the driver that seatbelts are attached but currently it does not know if someone is sitting at the back seat.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
It isn't from weight on the seats but from the seatbelts attached. The car has the HW to indicate the driver that seatbelts are attached but currently it does not know if someone is sitting at the back seat.
I have a baby seat permanently fixed (seatbelt is permanently attached) and when a baby sits in it, headrest comes up.
How do you explain this?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have a baby seat permanently fixed (seatbelt is permanently attached) and when a baby sits in it, headrest comes up.
How do you explain this?
Your car must be different then. Which MY was your car, I'm going to have a look how that is possible.

You say the seat belt is always fixed, do you mean the headrest does not raise when you start the car and drive if there is no baby (weight) at the seat?

Edited: EPC does not indicate any parts changes for the rear seat and no weight sensing element at the seat bench:
http://partscatalog.ru/mercedes/1/ca...186/63V/92/035

The above is for three rear seats but the two seat option looks the same. The only electrical wiring appears to be heated seats and seat belts (plus the seat adjustments).

But WIS is odd in the sense that the functional description is covered up to model year 08 without anything from that model year onwards, unless I've missed some info. At least up to MY 08 (included) the conditions for the rear head rests raising are: circuit 15 on, either seat belt buckled or actuation of the rear head restraint buttons or the front control button.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 08-02-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Your car must be different then. Which MY was your car, I'm going to have a look how that is possible.

You say the seat belt is always fixed, do you mean the headrest does not raise when you start the car and drive if there is no baby (weight) at the seat?

Edited: EPC does not indicate any parts changes for the rear seat and no weight sensing element at the seat bench:
http://partscatalog.ru/mercedes/1/ca...186/63V/92/035

The above is for three rear seats but the two seat option looks the same. The only electrical wiring appears to be heated seats and seat belts (plus the seat adjustments).

But WIS is odd in the sense that the functional description is covered up to model year 08 without anything from that model year onwards, unless I've missed some info. At least up to MY 08 (included) the conditions for the rear head rests raising are: circuit 15 on, either seat belt buckled or actuation of the rear head restraint buttons or the front control button.
According to VIN search on the site you provided, it's 071105.

It works exactly as you say except for one thing - the headrest comes up even if the seatbelt is not attached (I have to check this to make sure).

I just PMed the VIN to you.