S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Anything to look out for with early '07 builds (w/ ugly shark fun on trunk)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Anything to look out for with early '07 builds (w/ ugly shark fun on trunk)?

Came across a decent deal on an '07 W221, it has the hideous antenna on the trunk lid though. After some research I found out that signifies it's amongst the first built U.S W221's. Anybody know if there were any improvements after this build date, or things to watch out for with early builds? I know sometimes, manufacturers make very small improvements after the first line rolls out (if you read the IIHS Crash Results, for example, they'll note some manufacturers improve crash worthiness after testing the first batch of a MY.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Major changes came with the phase lift (not all improvements, some are clear cost reductions, some are modernisation of the electronics). The satellite antenna integration to the roof antenna you already know. The only one I'm aware is the crippled rear view camera from 2008 or so onwards (the 2007 would would have dynamic lines shown on the Comand display that follow the steering wheel, the new ones have fixed lines only). On the other hand the Parking assist appears at the main instrument cluster menu, Distronic Plus got changes but these are with the existing control units basically. Even the lane assist with rear view mirror indicators does not introduce reliability improvements.

There must be some improvements that you are referring to, perhaps someone else can give a list.

Note that the body has been on the streets since September 2005, even if not on US streets.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:50 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks! Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, per the Thread I found where Konigstiger described the "double shark fin" S's build dates, the U.S spec models with the double fins, were built in late 2005? Crazy, considering it's an '07 MY.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP
I have a 07 that was built in late 06, with the small bump on the trunk lid not the shark fin. I'm sure it served the same purpose, but I haven't had any issues with the car. In this picture you can see the bump that I'm referring to. I think if the mileage is low and you can get it for a good price go for it.

Last edited by TDwayne69; 04-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
I have an early '07 with the lovely trunk fin. So far I am very impressed with the build quality. The best part is the command can be updated to the newer system basically bringing the car up to speed on the telematics front and the annoying "don't forget key" chime can be eliminated. You know that it is impossible to resist the power of the force now, it is just a matter of time.....
Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP
+1, I love the fact that the Command unit can be updated. It's like having a new toy.

Last edited by TDwayne69; 04-05-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by emilner
I have an early '07 with the lovely trunk fin. So far I am very impressed with the build quality. The best part is the command can be updated to the newer system basically bringing the car up to speed on the telematics front and the annoying "don't forget key" chime can be eliminated. You know that it is impossible to resist the power of the force now, it is just a matter of time.....
Ah! I was actually wondering if you had a double "shark fin" S for some reason.

Good to hear, seeing as to how much you enjoy your car, and come from the same car as me basically.

I know what you mean, I've been lusting after the S for so long now, constantly making excuses, reminding myself why I love my E, etc. It IS just a matter of time though, and money is becoming less of an object, lol. I'm just thinking, F it, if I'm gonna get an S, let's not decide to do it finally just a year before the new body style comes out or something.

BTW, how many miles did you buy yours with again? Also, does the trunk fin get in the way of the design to you at all? Just can't really wrap my head around looking at the thing, I dunno, maybe I can see it as a signifying of a "unique" S-Class with some extra gadgetary finnage on the boot.

Thanks for the response and pic TDwayne as well.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
My car came with a little over 31k. I said F it and went for the S, best thing I ever did. I'm not joking, I would consider it punishment to have to drive my 211 now When you do finally pull the trigger you are going to kick yourself in the rear for waiting so long. Would I prefer to not have the trunk ornament? Yes. Does it bother me? No. I have learned that sometimes you need to accept things in order to enjoy life. If driving an S class means dealing with the fin for now, so be it. I will certainly trade up in the next few years to at least a '10. I LOVE the front fog/headlights and the tails are so Maybach (not that they look just like them, but it does give the car a far more upscale look). I want to see if MB is releasing the new base TT V8 engine this fall, if they do that will make a '10 drop in price or maybe the residuals will be so good I'll splurge on an '11....
Old 04-05-2010, 08:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Argh, you suck man!

Honestly, here's why I want the S, because driving my W211 I feel like I'm driving the perfect car (or near it), the 212 didn't make me feel like "W211 done better", just a different vibe, the W221 though, mindblowing in how it really makes me feel like a complete "if you think the 211 is great, wait 'till you see how this completely tops it" kind of deal.

Considering you feel the 211 would be a punishment to get back into, I just don't know how I can hold myself back from going "S".

Still in the debating process, of course, I feel like one of these days I'm gonna just do it, and I'm trying to tell myself, if that's the case, why wait?

On a side note, I feel that owning an S can be a motivational thing to me, i.e, where do you go from there?

I agree about the front of the F.L W221, looks outstanding, however, I will say, I do find the rear of the pre F.L to be more unique and maybe not as understated (design-wise) and classy, but a bit more "flashy", for better or worse, but still tasteful!

Do you have parking sensors on yours btw? One worry I have is, I'm SO FRIGGIN' **** about parking my E, getting perfectly aligned with parking lines to try and prevent dings, etc. I almost feel like the S's size will have my OCD azz going nuts in worrying about dings, good parking fitment, etc. Also, washing and waxing that behemoth can certainly add to the chore! Albeit, a rewarding one.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 2009 SL550
The wife has an early 2007 with 68,000 miles on it now. There have been two problems with it, both since 60,000 miles or so. First, there was a blockage in the filler neck that made adding gas difficult until the filter in the neck was replaced. Second, last week a sensor in a value body in the transmission failed which keep the transmission from shifting. This cost the extended warranty company $1,700 to repair. All in all this has been an outstanding car.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by K-A
Argh, you suck man!

Honestly, here's why I want the S, because driving my W211 I feel like I'm driving the perfect car (or near it), the 212 didn't make me feel like "W211 done better", just a different vibe, the W221 though, mindblowing in how it really makes me feel like a complete "if you think the 211 is great, wait 'till you see how this completely tops it" kind of deal.

Considering you feel the 211 would be a punishment to get back into, I just don't know how I can hold myself back from going "S".

Still in the debating process, of course, I feel like one of these days I'm gonna just do it, and I'm trying to tell myself, if that's the case, why wait?

On a side note, I feel that owning an S can be a motivational thing to me, i.e, where do you go from there?

I agree about the front of the F.L W221, looks outstanding, however, I will say, I do find the rear of the pre F.L to be more unique and maybe not as understated (design-wise) and classy, but a bit more "flashy", for better or worse, but still tasteful!

Do you have parking sensors on yours btw? One worry I have is, I'm SO FRIGGIN' **** about parking my E, getting perfectly aligned with parking lines to try and prevent dings, etc. I almost feel like the S's size will have my OCD azz going nuts in worrying about dings, good parking fitment, etc. Also, washing and waxing that behemoth can certainly add to the chore! Albeit, a rewarding one.
If it helps K-A, it never bothered me to wash the W221. It's size never seemed to be an issue when washing. The ML on the other hand...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by QuadBenz
If it helps K-A, it never bothered me to wash the W221. It's size never seemed to be an issue when washing. The ML on the other hand...
Cool, good to hear, thanks! Ooh, washing SUV's can't be fun.

Chipps, thanks for the input. Good to hear.

The only option on the 221 that's a "must" for me is, AMG Sport Package, I reaaallly would want Parktronic, but can't say it would be a maker or breaker, and I love my DD Seats, so I'd hope for that, etc. Also, can't do Black, refuse to upkeep Black!

Seems out of all M-B's, 221's REALLY command their value with AMG Packages, I can only wish the pre-'09 W211's with AMG Sport Package (which are far far more rare than 221's with AMG Package) would command the same extra $$$$ back.

Finding a CPO 221 with AMG Package is pushing the budget a bit, also considering I will no doubt buy the extra 2 years on top of that.

Finding an AMG Package S with no CPO is very do-able, but raise your hand if you have the ***** to drive any M-B, especially an S-CLASS with no Warranty? (Seriously, please do, curious to see if anyone here is that nuts or has those grape-fruits in the pants, I just keep thinking "what the hell", but things like $1,700 for a little Tranny issue, etc. make me slap myself silly for merely thinking it). Also, finding a nice, low mileage non AMG Package CPO'd is do-able.

Last edited by K-A; 04-05-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd own an S-Class (well the W221) without warranty. Our old S550 was a 2007, although a later model (missed the trunk fin, the smaller trunk bump, and also has the NeckPro head restraints) and besides all the rattles and creaks, it had no issues with the engine, transmission, etc. Overall, I'd say it was probably the most reliable car I've ever owned. I wouldn't keep it past 5 years without warranty, however.
The thing is, it's really a gamble if you're going straight into a W221 without warranty. You really don't know if it's going to be problematic or not. I got lucky, I suppose, with our W221 (reliability wise). In other words, I would own our old W221 without warranty. Not sure about a different one.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
I found my CPO w/AMG, 31k, parktronic and a few other goodies for $53k. They are out there. I would hold off on buying the extended until you are up. I looked into AAA's autoguard- it is a MUCH better deal than MB's. 4 years and 75k for $3500 with 0 deductible. I know someone who has it on her SL55 and has used it many more times than AAA would like (something like $15k in repairs so far) - never once a problem.

Parktronic is a must, this thing is just shorter than my wife's ESV. I originally didn't think I needed it, but I am really missing a rear view camera.

I don't want to talk you into it, but I would recommend you re-read my review on it over and over. I do every time I drive it- those thoughts just keep getting reinforced. I am now screwed, I can never go back down. I drove in a 535i the other day and could not wait to get out of that cramped drab tank.

I cannot say it enough times, I hate getting to my destination- I am always wishing the ride would never end...
Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by QuadBenz
I'd own an S-Class (well the W221) without warranty. Our old S550 was a 2007, although a later model (missed the trunk fin, the smaller trunk bump, and also has the NeckPro head restraints) and besides all the rattles and creaks, it had no issues with the engine, transmission, etc. Overall, I'd say it was probably the most reliable car I've ever owned. I wouldn't keep it past 5 years without warranty, however.
The thing is, it's really a gamble if you're going straight into a W221 without warranty. You really don't know if it's going to be problematic or not. I got lucky, I suppose, with our W221 (reliability wise). In other words, I would own our old W221 without warranty. Not sure about a different one.
Cool, thanks. I thought the Neck-Pro's were on all W221's? Interesting.

Sounds good, but I know what you mean, it's one thing to make a car "yours" and head into non-Warranty land, but to pick one up with all kinds of miles, use, etc. on it, without one, is worrisome!

So weird about all your creaks and rattles, this I'm assuming is a very rare thing on 221's, not sure if you had Pano, but that's my one reason I'd prefer a car without it.

Originally Posted by emilner
I found my CPO w/AMG, 31k, parktronic and a few other goodies for $53k. They are out there. I would hold off on buying the extended until you are up. I looked into AAA's autoguard- it is a MUCH better deal than MB's. 4 years and 75k for $3500 with 0 deductible. I know someone who has it on her SL55 and has used it many more times than AAA would like (something like $15k in repairs so far) - never once a problem.

Parktronic is a must, this thing is just shorter than my wife's ESV. I originally didn't think I needed it, but I am really missing a rear view camera.

I don't want to talk you into it, but I would recommend you re-read my review on it over and over. I do every time I drive it- those thoughts just keep getting reinforced. I am now screwed, I can never go back down. I drove in a 535i the other day and could not wait to get out of that cramped drab tank.

I cannot say it enough times, I hate getting to my destination- I am always wishing the ride would never end...
Man, I totally understand what you're saying. And again, you came from the same car, and to boot, you had a 212 for a quick minute to also compare notes to. I remember when you got your 212, if I'm not mistaken, you were upset about the interior not having a rich a feelings as the 211's, so with that, I feel you're coming from the same perspective I am, and the 221 obviously just enhances all that for you.

WOW, that AAA Autoguard sounds GREAT!! I'd be all over that. Do you know if there's a Mileage "cap" per-se, where they wouldn't cover a car after, or where they'd raise their coverage price? I'm trying to keep my lookings at cars under 40K Miles, but some nice deals pop up on cars with Mileage in the 50's.... Which, considering my S500 had 152K Miles when I sold it, I know these cars can look great with tons of use if cared for, but again, it's a gamble.... My E still has just 37K Miles, so I'd like to essentially stay within the same area, but again, you gotta pay to play $$$$.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Just to add, I'm either looking at replacing my 211 with a 221 while keeping my DD Chevy, or keeping it, and replacing my DD with a much cooler car (which would basically cost the same as the difference between my 211 and a 221). Going back and forth on what the best option would be! Grr! All I know is, I'm ready to bring a new car into my life, it's been almost a year since the last time damnit!!

As for my E's replacements, nothing in the $50K range really turns me on enough, I'm that happy with the car. Thought of everything from M3's, C63, newer E, etc. Just can't find anything that gets me excited enough to make me wanna replace it. Either S-Class or bust!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Cool, thanks. I thought the Neck-Pro's were on all W221's? Interesting.

Sounds good, but I know what you mean, it's one thing to make a car "yours" and head into non-Warranty land, but to pick one up with all kinds of miles, use, etc. on it, without one, is worrisome!

So weird about all your creaks and rattles, this I'm assuming is a very rare thing on 221's, not sure if you had Pano, but that's my one reason I'd prefer a car without it.
Early models don't have Neck-Pro head restraints. The ones without it have, to be brutal, quite ugly and cheap looking head restraints, for an S-Class at least.

And no pano here.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Hmm, interesting. I'll keep an eye on the head restraints, looks like M-B made a quick fix to it. Wow, no Pano and all the noises huh, that sucks.