S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Got an used S550 but too low mileage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got an used S550 but too low mileage.

Hi all
I just trade in my 2010 E350 with only 3k mile on it, for a 2007 S550 with 20k. I've never drive S before so I want some advice on this model.
It is a 2007, but only has 20k, the tires are original (michelin), but it seems that it has a lot of miles on it. I suspect there is an odometer roll back, but all maintenance records show exactly the same mileage on the odometer and so the carfax history report. So it is possible? a 4 year old car with only 20k but the tire condition it not good?. Do you think this trade is worthy?

Also I can hear some vibration at idle and when I step on the brake padal, feel it on the steering wheel. I can clearly hear the engine running. I check the engine mount and it is fine. I hear something really bad about the early 2007 s engine, the vin of my car is WDDNG86X67A111070 , if anyone can check whether my engine is affected or not, I will be really really appreciate (my English sucks, I tried to explain the situation to the dealer, they just loose their patience)
Thank you in advance.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
Performance tires can get worn in 20,000 miles, so that is not a sign the odometer has been tampered with. And brakes too, which could give you the pulsating feeling when you brake from speed.

Also some cars like this are not driven much because well-heeled owners can have lots of others to choose from, so you may have found a genuine low mileage vehicle.

Being cautious is a good thing though. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2011, 04:17 PM

S550 sport, CL550 sport, CL63 Designo
I dont believe those tires are oem. Mine came with continental conti2s as oem tires and the rear wore out in about 20k miles with normal driving.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
Originally Posted by jj1400
Hi all
I just trade in my 2010 E350 with only 3k mile on it, for a 2007 S550 with 20k. I've never drive S before so I want some advice on this model.
It is a 2007, but only has 20k, the tires are original (michelin), but it seems that it has a lot of miles on it. I suspect there is an odometer roll back, but all maintenance records show exactly the same mileage on the odometer and so the carfax history report. So it is possible? a 4 year old car with only 20k but the tire condition it not good?. Do you think this trade is worthy?

Also I can hear some vibration at idle and when I step on the brake padal, feel it on the steering wheel. I can clearly hear the engine running. I check the engine mount and it is fine. I hear something really bad about the early 2007 s engine, the vin of my car is WDDNG86X67A111070 , if anyone can check whether my engine is affected or not, I will be really really appreciate (my English sucks, I tried to explain the situation to the dealer, they just loose their patience)
Thank you in advance.
Pthers are doing a good job of addressing your tire questions.

The vibration felt at idle, with transmission engaged. Do you also feel it around the 17-1800 rpm range?

You said you had the "mount" checked. I'd still look closely at the motor mounts. If not still under warranty and you have a good relationship with a mechanic, have him order new mounts. Insure the mech. gets the updated mounts. Have him remove one of the existing ones. Stand that existing one next to the new one. If the existing one is not the same height, there's a good chance the mount is bad. If so, put in the new ones. If the existing mount is the same height, reinstall it and send the new ones back. There'd be some labor and shipping, but at least you'd be able to eliminate mounts as a vibration cause or installing may eliminate the virbration.

My S550 was made 6000 after yours. There are bulletins out relating to vibration/upgraded motor mounts. There are threads here addressing the vibration and mounts, also. I think cars up to 127,000 production had these issues.

Good luck with the car.

Last edited by Em Bee Lover; 06-18-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by HiTach
Performance tires can get worn in 20,000 miles, so that is not a sign the odometer has been tampered with. And brakes too, which could give you the pulsating feeling when you brake from speed.

Also some cars like this are not driven much because well-heeled owners can have lots of others to choose from, so you may have found a genuine low mileage vehicle.

Hitach thank you very much for your response, now I am now that worried! Also the brake performs very good! There is not palsating feeling ,the only issue is the tire, but I think I can still drive 10k with them.
Thank you very much!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Em Bee Lover
Pthers are doing a good job of addressing your tire questions.

The vibration felt at idle, with transmission engaged. Do you also feel it around the 17-1800 rpm range?

You said you had the "mount" checked. I'd still look closely at the motor mounts. If not still under warranty and you have a good relationship with a mechanic, have him order new mounts. Insure the mech. gets the updated mounts. Have him remove one of the existing ones. Stand that existing one next to the new one. If the existing one is not the same height, there's a good chance the mount is bad. If so, put in the new ones. If the existing mount is the same height, reinstall it and send the new ones back. There'd be some labor and shipping, but at least you'd be able to eliminate mounts as a vibration cause or installing may eliminate the virbration.

My S550 was made 6000 after yours. There are bulletins out relating to vibration/upgraded motor mounts. There are threads here addressing the vibration and mounts, also. I think cars up to 127,000 production had these issues.

Good luck with the car.
Thank you Em Bee Lover! Actually I will bring my car to mercedes on Monday to have the mounts checked. I open the hood one day and I just checked it myself, I couldn't find any problem, but yea I'm not professional. The only concern I have it the vibration. I can't believe the vibration happen on a car with just 20k miles on it, and it it a mercedes. So I am a little worried since I am a student, and I don't have too much money to put to fix the car. Do you know how much to replace the engine mount? They now offer me the warranty, the company name is Fidelity. Mercedes saleman offer me $3000 for 3 year or another 36000miles, and they want me to buy the Platinum. Do you have any idea about it? Is it really a peace-of-mind warranty?
Thank you very much! Bear with me, seems I have a lot of question,hah.. But I really want to keeo this S for at least 6years. I changed 3 cars from 2010 to now, and finally I got the S, my dream car, I don't want to loose it...
Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by HiTach

In addition HiTach, do you think it is normal for my car that has vibration? If it only has 20k..I am just worried,,and this car was leased to the first owner for 3 and half years...
Old 06-18-2011, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 986 Likes on 722 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Thank you Em Bee Lover! Actually I will bring my car to mercedes on Monday to have the mounts checked. I open the hood one day and I just checked it myself, I couldn't find any problem, but yea I'm not professional. The only concern I have it the vibration. I can't believe the vibration happen on a car with just 20k miles on it, and it it a mercedes. So I am a little worried since I am a student, and I don't have too much money to put to fix the car. Do you know how much to replace the engine mount? They now offer me the warranty, the company name is Fidelity. Mercedes saleman offer me $3000 for 3 year or another 36000miles, and they want me to buy the Platinum. Do you have any idea about it? Is it really a peace-of-mind warranty?
Thank you very much! Bear with me, seems I have a lot of question,hah.. But I really want to keeo this S for at least 6years. I changed 3 cars from 2010 to now, and finally I got the S, my dream car, I don't want to loose it...
The internet offers a view into worlds few of us know.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
I had vibration problems to and the problem was solved after the mounts were replaced. My dealer said it was because the engine is really heavy?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by phatisfy
I had vibration problems to and the problem was solved after the mounts were replaced. My dealer said it was because the engine is really heavy?
Every friend in this posting suggest me checking the mount, then I think it is necessary to check it, will bring it to mec on Monday.. But I really want to find some other shops because the dealer here in State College is neither friendly nor patient, and always have some really weird price.
Thank you for your help on my two postings!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Every friend in this posting suggest me checking the mount, then I think it is necessary to check it, will bring it to mec on Monday.. But I really want to find some other shops because the dealer here in State College is neither friendly nor patient, and always have some really weird price.
Thank you for your help on my two postings!!!
If you just traded in your car, then the dealer should gave you some sort of warranty? Have them check it out and fixed by them.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 AM

If you just traded in your car, then the dealer should gave you some sort of warranty? Have them check it out and fixed by them.
No I actually traded it with a private seller...
Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
No I actually traded it with a private seller...
ohh. Wel if that's the case. If you buy an extended warranty.The warranty wont take in affect after 1k miles. That is what I was told from the AAA company.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 AM

ohh. Wel if that's the case. If you buy an extended warranty.The warranty wont take in affect after 1k miles. That is what I was told from the AAA company.
So do you mean that the warranty will expire after 1000mile? just another question, since I bought this car from a private dealer(he runs car business, but not like those big official companies), I checked the carfax and it shows lien/loan reported. This car was first leased to someone for 3 and half years and at the end of the lease, the same person bought the car, but lien/loan reported. He drove it for another year and sell it to this private onwer. Now I checked carfax and it shows "title updated, new owner reported", --that is me. The tile is on the way to my home(by mail). So does it mean that I do not need to worry anymore since I will get the title? Also the private dealer showed my on the title that the lien was released. But I heard that even the lien was released, if this car has a loan then I still have responsibility to pay for it, that's why I am worried.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Warranty will expire once you hit that mark. As for the lien. If the seller had the title in hand. And you signed it. Then you should be good. Because if the car is still not paid off. The seller would not have the title in hand.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
great post. mounts are always important to have checked for vibration.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM

NICE CAR!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 AM

2007 S550 Sport
Yup. Mine developed a vibration when I hit about 30k miles. Dealer replaced motor AND transmission mounts. Vibrations gone.