S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 AM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her

After months of lurking on here, I finally picked up a 2007 S550 with the amg bodykit. Loving it. Its my first benz after about 4 Lexuses and 2 Range Rovers over the years.

Been gathering parts months before I even got the car..
Here is a pic while at the dealer. More to come once cleaned. I attached some pics of parts i already gathered.
I also have a facelift kit that I haven't taken a pic of. Unlike most, I decided to go for the 2010+ sport look as opposed to the popular s63 facelift most on here have done. Hopefully should be done all the upgrades before summer including an upgrade of the COMAND system. Looking to get some nice rims also...probably HREs.

3 issues/questions
1. I am not sure if its the cold weather causing this or if its a sensor/ battery issue but i noticed if i let it sit for a while (say an hour in the cold) and come back to start it, it turns but "stutters" and then dies off. I have to try and crank/start it at least with a third try before it starts normally and then from there its fine i.e. if i turn it off and turn it back on again, it starts without hesitation or stuttering.

2. Since I picked it up from the dealer today, the fan (and a/c) has not blown.
The controls work (temp up/down, fan up/down etc) BUT nothing comes out of the vents. if I press auto or front defrost or manually adjust fan, I can hear the mechanism shifting in the dash BUT no air AT ALL.
I checked the fuse and it seems fine. ANy idea what it could be? I am taking it back to dealer first thing tomorrow though.

3. Before deciding on the facelift direction for the car, I proactively purchased a S63 facelift grill. Will this fit with the 2010 sport facelift front bumper?

Other than those two issues, car is flawless and rides smooth. I hope am able to resolve these two issues so I can enjoy this car.

Thanks
Just1time
Attached Thumbnails Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her-s550-2.jpg   Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her-s550-1.jpg   Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her-img-20120906-00686.jpg   Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her-img-20120906-00684.jpg   Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her-img-20120912-00709.jpg  

Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her-img-20120912-00707.jpg  

Last edited by just1time; 12-23-2012 at 12:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
right_mr (06-15-2019)
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
That grille is the V12 grille found on the S600 and S65, even better than the "S63" grille which is the same across all non V12 cars. Yes it will work with any 2010 bumper.

Can't wait to see the HREs. A friend of mine had the same 07 S550 in black with sport pack as you. It's a wonderful car and can be had for great deals right now. He had some 21" Modulare M7s and I find that 21" is the perfect size for this car. (you'll have to lower it though to get that perfect stance)
Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Congrats, happy driving
You should also swap door mirrors to facelift model .Bumper covers , taillights , headlamps up to you but door mirrors really make a deep impact lol
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
nice ride...
funny name....

enjoy!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 S-550, 03 BMW Z4, 02 Jeep Wrangler
Not sure the temp there, but heat doesn't come out of the main air vents. Only cool air.

jw
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM

s550
hey

thanks guys

Originally Posted by BenzV12
Congrats, happy driving
You should also swap door mirrors to facelift model .Bumper covers , taillights , headlamps up to you but door mirrors really make a deep impact lol
yea, I really hate the current mirrors. they are too small IMO. I have the facelift mirrors already. Theya are part of the pics i posted.

I also have facelift taillights also. just haven't picked it up from the post office.
also, have lowering links on order. Rims might be last cause my preferred are really expensive and am hoping to score a good deal on a used set.
car will look really nice once am done.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S550
Agreed. For such big sedan the mirrors are way too small.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Congratz enjoy the great car .Yeah have the dealer fix your issues before warranty runs out :-) Happy modding !!

(BTW love the original pre-facelift mirrors,just a matter of taste, looks like W222 is going have something similar again.)

Last edited by marthyh; 12-22-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 PM

s550
thanks guys.

For anyone facing a similar situation, my dealer sent me to a master MB guy who took out a "blower" mechanism" underneath passenger side dash. apparently the contact of the blower was wearing out and that was the issue. he soldered it and its working fine. But they ordered a new "blower" to be installed next week upon arrival.

Still have tthe issue of stalling @ least twice before finally starting upon cranking. The mechanic i went to for the blower said it was a battery related issue when i described it. But when i asked him again upon moving the car into the garage and experiencing it, he said its not the battery and has to hook it up to computer to find out what it is. I have been diggin on here, and it might be a fuel pump relay according to some experiences on here. H=Just cant find any info on where its located or DIY so i can at least replace it and see if symptoms persist. Anyone have any idea what am talking about?

other than that, car is flawless, drove for nearly an hour today just for no reason

Marthyh, warranty is out on the car. Am getting a 3rd party warranty just to be safe for major repairs. For minor ones, i Have a trusted indy mechanic that specializes in MB.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Originally Posted by just1time
After months of lurking on here, I finally picked up a 2007 S550 with the amg bodykit. Loving it. Its my first benz after about 4 Lexuses and 2 Range Rovers over the years.

Been gathering parts months before I even got the car..
Here is a pic while at the dealer. More to come once cleaned. I attached some pics of parts i already gathered.
I also have a facelift kit that I haven't taken a pic of. Unlike most, I decided to go for the 2010+ sport look as opposed to the popular s63 facelift most on here have done. Hopefully should be done all the upgrades before summer including an upgrade of the COMAND system. Looking to get some nice rims also...probably HREs.

3 issues/questions
1. I am not sure if its the cold weather causing this or if its a sensor/ battery issue but i noticed if i let it sit for a while (say an hour in the cold) and come back to start it, it turns but "stutters" and then dies off. I have to try and crank/start it at least with a third try before it starts normally and then from there its fine i.e. if i turn it off and turn it back on again, it starts without hesitation or stuttering.

2. Since I picked it up from the dealer today, the fan (and a/c) has not blown.
The controls work (temp up/down, fan up/down etc) BUT nothing comes out of the vents. if I press auto or front defrost or manually adjust fan, I can hear the mechanism shifting in the dash BUT no air AT ALL.
I checked the fuse and it seems fine. ANy idea what it could be? I am taking it back to dealer first thing tomorrow though.

3. Before deciding on the facelift direction for the car, I proactively purchased a S63 facelift grill. Will this fit with the 2010 sport facelift front bumper?

Other than those two issues, car is flawless and rides smooth. I hope am able to resolve these two issues so I can enjoy this car.

Thanks
Just1time
That grill is for the face lifted bumper if you got that off ebay. And the clear bumper lights will not fit on your pre face lifted bumper.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
oh. And you'll need 2 new mirror motors,and do some wiring to work properly. This have been discussed awhile back regarding the face life mirror.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 AM

s550
hey

Originally Posted by phatisfy
oh. And you'll need 2 new mirror motors,and do some wiring to work properly. This have been discussed awhile back regarding the face life mirror.
the bumper lights are for a new facelift kit i got. I mentioned that above

I saved your thread on the mirror motor fix for the facelift mirrors. Been studying it for months since it was active

Now , can someone tell me how to access the panel behind the rear armrest? am going to attempt to replace the fuel pump relay. i narrowed my "stuttering" situation to two things based on searches in the forum: the fuel pump relay OR the crank position sensor. Both are cheap fixes worth trying as DIY
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
The replica s63 bumper has no cut outs for that either. Unless you're going the oem route.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
Nice getting ready for the upgrades I see. The grill you got will fit 2010 model bumpers, assuming you will be doing a face lift, it will fit. You got the distronic shield grill as well, don't know if you knew that or just wanted the shield cover up front. Base on your first picture, you do not have distronic so you could've gotten one without it. Doesn't matter though.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:03 AM

s550
I think some people are missing the point that am in fact doing a facelift conversion...lol

Phasify, am going with non-amg 2010 facelift kit( i believe it was just called the sport kit from 2010). i am doing a full conversion with exception of headlights; mirrors, kit, taillights.

Sako, I got the grill for a good price from a fellow member on here. i knew the car i was getting have distronic but i couldn't pass up on a good deal

Anyone know how to access rear panel behind rear armrest?
Also, Can someone please tell me the max specs of rims/tire combo I can get in 20s w/o having to modify cars and also avoid rubbing? Am looking to buy it all now and get everything ready so summer time, my car will be ready
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 AM

S500
Originally Posted by just1time
Now , can someone tell me how to access the panel behind the rear armrest? am going to attempt to replace the fuel pump relay. i narrowed my "stuttering" situation to two things based on searches in the forum: the fuel pump relay OR the crank position sensor. Both are cheap fixes worth trying as DIY
In the trunk you can just pull the vertical panel if I remember correctly,to get acces to fuse box and acc. battery on pre-facelift models.
Fingers crossed its just that..

Attached pdf for MB approved tyre-sizes.

Bandentypen M-B S-Klasse_Typ221_101116.pdf

Last edited by marthyh; 12-23-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 PM

s550
which one of these is the fuel pump relay?

So, lacking the patience to wait until tomorrow, I have been looking online and searching the forums to find out what could be causing the car to crank but not turn until after several tries over the course of 10mins.

Based on what I gathered on here, I narrowed it down to either the crank position sensor OR the fuel pump relay. I should be taking it in tomorrow either way.

I am leaning more towards the Fuel pump relay cause i read on here that the symptoms of a failing CPS entail starting when cold and not starting when hot.
This problem is the other way around. Car starts when engine has been ran and is warm/hot. But stalls several times before starting after its been left sitting in the cold for a while. Besides that, once it starts, it runs flawlessly.

Either way, i figured it wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel pump relay since its an easy diy based on what i gathered on here. And would eliminate the need for the dealer to go in the wrong direction when the time comes anyways.
I was able to get to the fusebox behind the armrest but cannot find any indication of which of the relays is the fuel pump relay.

Here is a picture of it. I noticed all the black relays (those lined horizontally and named M, N , O respectively) and the vertically lined ones (Q, R AND S) are of the same brand while the odd man out (P) is tray and made by "tyco". Can someone please tell me which is the fuel pump relay?
Attached Thumbnails Finally picked her up...Cecelia is what I call her-img-20121223-00035-1.jpg  

Last edited by just1time; 12-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 AM

s550
Been searching all day for info on which relay is the fuel pump relay but have had zero luck....anyone have any idea?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:18 PM

s550
Problem Solved....

Finally solved the problem guys.
After unsucessful searches, and not having the patience to wait for the dealer to open next wednesday, i convinced my mech friend to come to his garage for me

He had his star diagnostic tool at his other shop so we settled for changing the crankshift position sensor. didn't solve the problem. I convinced him to go bring his tool which he reluctantly did and hooked it up. The fault came up as Fuel Pump relay faulty and a pic of it came up on the connected laptop showing that the fuel pump relay is the relay "S" in the rear SAM (fusebox).
Replaced that and car came back to life like magic. Smooth as hell. The relay cost $9.40. Still amazed at how a small cheap part can be the Achilles heel of a super machine.

Used the tool to scan the entire car and everything is fine with no faults on the car. hope it stays that way. Still very angry at how the relays are not labelled like the fuses in the Fuse Chart that came with the car. Would have resolved this issue at my house since yesterday.

Anyways, I hope this post is useful to any member who encounters such problem.

Now back to the modding...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
Good to hear that and I appreciate your update with a detailed post on your issue .
Old 12-25-2012, 02:54 PM

S500
Great your issue is solved !!
Thanks for the description how it was done .
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 AM

s550
hey

[QUOTE=stckhj90;5483444]Base on your first picture, you do not have distronic so you could've gotten one without it. Doesn't matter though.

got it for cheap from a fellow member on here so it works for me.

[QUOTE=melbathomas3;5483476]As some friendly advice, don't use all caps on ANY forum.

huh?