S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Intermittent Blower Motor Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
Intermittent Blower Motor Problems

On my 2007 s550. As of lately I have been having problems with my blower motor. Just my luck as my warranty just expired. My blower motor doesn't always kick on when I need it to. Sometimes when it doesn't want to cooperate a good bump in the road will turn it on. Sometimes if I shut it off and try to turn it back on I encounter the same problem. Very frustrating in this cold Chicago weather.

Has anyone experience this or have a quick fix? Im sure I should visit the dealer. Im sure its starting to "crap out". But if someone has experienced this and can save me the trouble of looking for a new motor, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Mine was doing this also intermittently and just took it in and asked when car was being serviced. Dealer said a code was stored for low voltage or something and said it was a fault related the the blower relay. He ordered a relay and I am having it put in next Fri. Total should be around 600 bucks. I will let you know if it works. Thank goodness it was not the blowere motor itself as he said that is a ton more labor to get to. Relay is located behind glove box.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 PM

2008 S63
Great please let me know the outcome. That seems kind of pricey to be quite honest. Ive changed out blower motor resistors in csrs before for a fraction of that price. Im sure most of that is service. Please find out the price of the resistor for me also. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 s550v4
I have removed the blower assy and cleaned/lubricated the fan couple years ago (2007 4matic)...the blower resistor and motor are time consuming to get to, but not that difficult to remove....if you look under the glovebox on toward the passenger door side, you can see the blower assy housing. Remove several torx screws (4 or 5?) and the unit comes out...the one farthest to the outside is a pain to get to, but once you get the torx driver into the head of the screw, no issue.....remove the screws, disconnect the electrical connector and you're there....I searched on google and found a link with photos, but its been too long to remember which site I found it....if you are feeling brave, it can be done...my guess is the labor cost drives the $600, not the motor or resistor cost....not a high risk DYI.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM

2008 S63
What drove you to remove and clean up the motor in the first place? Were you having the same type of symptoms we're having? If so did performing that solve the issue?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 s550v4
No, the symptom I had was a squealing noise at low blower setting....likely due to water from clogged windshield drain....try this link for pdf for procedure...

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...procedure.html

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:48 PM

2008 S550 AMG
I had EXACT same symptoms as original post. Eventually, the blower stopped working. I just paid $984 to have the dealer replace the blower motor.

While my car has 95,000 miles, I called MB Customer Care to complain, as I have read many articles on the internet about other owners with similar failures. The MB Customer Care rep won't return my phone calls.

I don't expect a vehicle to be perfect, but when I read about many other owners having similar problems on a $100,000 car, that's an unacceptable design defect and MB should have picked up part of the cost of the repair if they ever hope to have my future business.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:25 PM

W221
W221 Intermittent blower issue

Originally Posted by Zerocarpileup
On my 2007 s550. As of lately I have been having problems with my blower motor. Just my luck as my warranty just expired. My blower motor doesn't always kick on when I need it to. Sometimes when it doesn't want to cooperate a good bump in the road will turn it on. Sometimes if I shut it off and try to turn it back on I encounter the same problem. Very frustrating in this cold Chicago weather.

Has anyone experience this or have a quick fix? Im sure I should visit the dealer. Im sure its starting to "crap out". But if someone has experienced this and can save me the trouble of looking for a new motor, I would greatly appreciate it.
​​​​​​
Old 06-20-2020, 02:28 PM

W221
W221 Intermittent blower issue

I changed the Climate Control ECU and my problem was sorted. Previously I had changed the blower resistor...so I would recommend the same .