S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Rear door does not open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear door does not open

Im a 2007 s550 owner. The rear door does not open with the handle. In order to open the door i need to punch the handle some times until doos handle open the door. This problem occurs most often in right side but ocasionally on left side. Can anyone help me?
In adition after door open the handles remain outside and i need to retract it with my hand. If not the door not close.
excuse m english, please
Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
s550
Probably and actuator no longer working or the cable that pulls it is misaligned. Take off the door panel and you should be able to narrow down what the cause could be. Fairly easy to do.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:25 PM

S65 AMG
Originally Posted by vazquezg
Im a 2007 s550 owner. The rear door does not open with the handle. In order to open the door i need to punch the handle some times until doos handle open the door. This problem occurs most often in right side but ocasionally on left side. Can anyone help me?
In adition after door open the handles remain outside and i need to retract it with my hand. If not the door not close.
excuse m english, please
Are you able to open rear doors from the inside?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:29 PM

No. Only after punch from the outside.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Has your car had any previous collision damage? Does it have a bent frame?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
anyone figure this out? I have the same problem
Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes S600
It's only going to be one of a few things. If that latch is not hitting the striker correctly, the latch can get stuck, check the striker and you'll see where the latch has been hitting it, make sure it's in the middle. You can also loosen the bolts that hold the actuator to the door (usually 3 torx screws, but I'm not sure how MB does it) and see if that helps it open and close any better. That's what Steve was getting at with the previous collision damage, if it's not lined up properly it can get jammed or stuck.

Second, it could be the actuator itself, you can test this by using a screwdriver to simulate the striker while the door is open, put a screwdriver in perpendicular to the latch to close it, then pull the door handle and see if it releases easily. Test this from the inside and the outside. If it works but is slow to release, try lithium grease to free up some of the gunk that can get inside the mechanics of the latch.

Finally, it could be the linkages themselves, but normally that won't manifest itself as both going out at the same time, if you have an issue where the outside handle works and the inside doesn't or vice versa, that's likely your problem.

If nothing has changed in the alignment of the actuator, door, or striker, and both the inside and outside handles aren't working right, my money would be on the actuator/latch assembly either being gummed up or failed. Hope that helps.

Trending Topics

Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
The door lock or actuator mechanism seems to be working as the pin lifts and retracts with the auto lock button as usual. The door can not be opened from the inside nor the outside. also the like previous post, the outside door handle doesn't seem to retract when pulled. it needs a push to become flush again. How can I get the panel off when the door wont open from the inside or outside?
Old 05-13-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes S600
Originally Posted by Zerocarpileup
The door lock or actuator mechanism seems to be working as the pin lifts and retracts with the auto lock button as usual. The door can not be opened from the inside nor the outside. also the like previous post, the outside door handle doesn't seem to retract when pulled. it needs a push to become flush again. How can I get the panel off when the door wont open from the inside or outside?
The lock and the latch are two separate mechanisms inside the actuator assembly. It's entirely possible for the lock to work properly but the latch to be gummed up. In fact it's more likely to happen that way, since the latch is exposed to the outside of the door and the lock mechanism is not. Test the latch with a screwdriver to simulate the striker, I bet it'll release but not fully, and what's happening is when you punch the door that jarring is enough to release the latch the rest of the way.