S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

2007 S600 Repair Manual- Power Steering

Old 05-11-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S600 Repair Manual- Power Steering

Hello All, Can anyone steer me to the best repair manual for my specific car? Either a book, or a download from the internet. I need to replace the Power Steering Tandem Pump, and the Front Valve Block for the ABC. Had it to the dealer for a whining noise, and that's the conclusion they came up with. $7100 plus tax! I have looked all over for a DIY , but no luck for my car. W221 V12. I did read somewhere that the engine might have to be jacked up. Fun! Also, does anyone know of a diagnostic tool for a laptop, that would let me perform the RODEO function? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....
Attached Thumbnails 2007 S600 Repair Manual- Power Steering-unnamed-2-.jpg  
Old 05-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Free workshop manuals:
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedesbenz/
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...t_unit_faults/

MBUSA market, STAR https://www.startekinfo.com ($60 24 hour subscription).

If within VIN range contact MB to request goodwill pump replacement per bulletin 32.50/60a, defective tandem pump installed at production replaced with revised part. 048280 concerning valve block, ABC lines may be stressed or pulsation damper needs replacement rather than replacing entire valve. 051125 addresses noises from front or rear axle if applicable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
32.50_60a.pdf (90.9 KB, 615 views)
LI32.50-P-048280_Ver_1.pdf (40.3 KB, 599 views)
LI32.50-P-051125_Ver_1.pdf (38.1 KB, 624 views)
The following users liked this post:
gsxr711 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Thank you very much konigstiger. Much appreciated. I am actually within the Vin range for the replacement, but I can't imagine them giving me a new pump. I will certainly look into the pulsation damper for the valve. If I can screw a new one on without taking the world apart, that's definitely the way to go. Everything is packed very tight on the V12. Is the info on the Startek site, much better than the free MB workshop manual? I would be happy to pay, if it has more info. Thanks again...
Old 05-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
For the most part info is there however, some instances it is lacking in STAR you can negotiate via VIN and all docs are linked so it makes downloading/printing easier.
gsxr711 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
S65 GL320CDI GLS63 80 Series Landcruiser
My experience is that dealers love to replace parts even when its not warranted (to the point of absurdity at times). Not saying that's your case but a possibility.

Whining noises can sometimes be caused by worn accumulators including the pulsation damper. Assuming you have the 2nd generation ABC, the pulsation damper on the pump is easy to change on the V12. Remove DS air intake and you'll be looking at it. You can get a socket on the top of it and loosen it and screw new one on. Blow away any loose debris and clean the area as best you can before you start. The accumulators should be considered maintenance items because they get less efficient over time even though they haven't fully failed. Like konigstiger mentioned, if there are no other issues with the suspension it is not likely the valve block. The accumulator on the front screws into the valve block up under the washer fluid tank in front of DS tire. Rear accumulator is in spare tire well and unbolts from under the car. You can remove these and replace with no fluid loss as the system is not under pressure once the car sits a while. Front accumulator will need a thin 27MM open end wrench as a normal size will not fit in between accumulator and valve block to crack it loose. Haven't replaced a tandem pump so no help there.

Good luck,
Randy
lionsfan54 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-13-2017, 05:37 AM

Thanks Randy. Will definitely do this. So if I read correctly...There are three dampers. Would you recommend OEM from MB, or is there another source you would use? Thanks....
Old 05-13-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
S65 GL320CDI GLS63 80 Series Landcruiser
Originally Posted by gsxr711
Thanks Randy. Will definitely do this. So if I read correctly...There are three dampers. Would you recommend OEM from MB, or is there another source you would use? Thanks....
Here is some great ABC reading: http://w220repair.com/index.php/abc-...oubleshooting/

The write-up diagrams are 1st generation ABC and show 4 accumulators: front axle, rear axle, pulsation damper and a return flow accumulator. On my car (2nd generation ABC) I can't find a return flow accumulator when looking at parts. Maybe I just haven't found it. On my 2008 the front is P/N 2213270215, rear is P/N 2213280015 and the pulsation damper is P/N 0004660310. I get discounted prices and usually buy at dealership. Front and rear accumulators will be around $250 each and pulsation damper is more maybe $300 to 325. You can find them online - dealer will charge you more at retail prices. If you find a 4th on the later system let me know. To be honest I haven't looked for it maybe need to get under the car and look around!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Thanks much! Will check it all out................
Old 06-03-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Mercedes Benz S600
Originally Posted by UNderdog
My experience is that dealers love to replace parts even when its not warranted (to the point of absurdity at times). Not saying that's your case but a possibility.

Whining noises can sometimes be caused by worn accumulators including the pulsation damper. Assuming you have the 2nd generation ABC, the pulsation damper on the pump is easy to change on the V12. Remove DS air intake and you'll be looking at it. You can get a socket on the top of it and loosen it and screw new one on. Blow away any loose debris and clean the area as best you can before you start. The accumulators should be considered maintenance items because they get less efficient over time even though they haven't fully failed. Like konigstiger mentioned, if there are no other issues with the suspension it is not likely the valve block. The accumulator on the front screws into the valve block up under the washer fluid tank in front of DS tire. Rear accumulator is in spare tire well and unbolts from under the car. You can remove these and replace with no fluid loss as the system is not under pressure once the car sits a while. Front accumulator will need a thin 27MM open end wrench as a normal size will not fit in between accumulator and valve block to crack it loose. Haven't replaced a tandem pump so no help there.

Good luck,
Randy
I got my new steering dampener "sphere". Is it normal for the opening to be "sealed"? I assume that is how the pressure is held until you screw it into place and that seal is punctured somehow?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
S600
I don’t remember mine being “sealed”, just capped. I just removed the cap covering the threads and screwed it on. I almost thought the cap was part of it because it’s black.
lionsfan54 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Mercedes Benz S600
Originally Posted by Jtsnyder
I don’t remember mine being “sealed”, just capped. I just removed the cap covering the threads and screwed it on. I almost thought the cap was part of it because it’s black.
Here is mine. That highlighted area with the arrow is almost spongy in feel...

Old 06-03-2018, 12:29 PM

S600
See that’s why I was confused at first. If I remember correctly, that whole end with the hex head is the cap. You remove that whole thing and then the spongy part comes off with it. I didn’t realize it until I removed the old one and noticed they didn’t match until you remove that cap.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:31 PM

S600
I had to remove the driver side air box to access it. There is a vacuum hose on the bottom of that box that I discovered was not connected. It’s a little awkward to attach it, but be sure you hook it up when reinstalling
lionsfan54 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 01:09 PM

Mercedes Benz S600
Smile

See that’s why I was confused at first. If I remember correctly, that whole end with the hex head is the cap. You remove that whole thing and then the spongy part comes off with it. I didn’t realize it until I removed the old one and noticed they didn’t match until you remove that cap.
Yes! I was JUST going to post this. I was about to start trying to dig out that foam but thought, "no, pull the old one out first". I panicked that I got the wrong part for a second, then it hit me. Duh. For everyone else, here is the old one, along with the world's most overbuilt cap

Old 06-03-2018, 01:14 PM

S600
“Worlds most overbuilt cap” seriously! Haha. It should be yellow or something. Glad you got it worked out.
lionsfan54 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 01:15 PM

Mercedes Benz S600
I had to remove the driver side air box to access it. There is a vacuum hose on the bottom of that box that I discovered was not connected. It’s a little awkward to attach it, but be sure you hook it up when reinstalling
Only part I had to remove was the "snorkel" that attaches (poorly) to the front of the car. I got some scraped up knuckles, but the whole job took 5 min. I shudder to think what a dealer would charge.. It seems to have addressed one of my problems (a knocking sound from up in that area upon start up and backing out of the garage). I'll get it warmed up and see if the other issues also clear up. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-03-2018, 01:16 PM

Mercedes Benz S600
“Worlds most overbuilt cap” seriously! Haha. It should be yellow or something. Glad you got it worked out.
Owning this car has led to MANY instances of me muttering to myself, "Germans" and then shrugging my shoulders.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:34 PM

S600
Originally Posted by lionsfan54
Only part I had to remove was the "snorkel" that attaches (poorly) to the front of the car. I got some scraped up knuckles, but the whole job took 5 min. I shudder to think what a dealer would charge.. It seems to have addressed one of my problems (a knocking sound from up in that area upon start up and backing out of the garage). I'll get it warmed up and see if the other issues also clear up. Fingers crossed!
I guess I did more work than necessary! That’s what I get for doing this in my underground garage with low light. It did lead me to that disconnected vacuum hose, though. Silver lining.