S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

DEALERSHIP SCAM - Autohaus on Edens, Northbrook IL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 sl500
DEALERSHIP SCAM - Autohaus on Edens, Northbrook IL

I cannot adequately express how bad my experience at Autohaus on Edens in Northbrook IL (1600 West Frontage Rd, Northbrook, IL 60062, (847) 272-7900) has been over the past 4 years. My family has serviced a G63, an SL500, an S500, and two S550s here and unfortunately we only continued to go here because they were conveniently the closest dealership.

Service attendants (TL, PP, and others) were pleasant, but either ignorant to the deception of the service techs, or covering up for them; I don't know which is worse. They are likely bound by MB to not offer many discounts, but as we know, the rates and charges from dealerships are astronomical, and they rarely gave any special consideration for loyal customers, who have spent tens of thousands of dollars there.

The techs (their supposed AMG master tech, as well as others) who worked on the cars were either incompetent or dishonest, and again, I don't know which is worse.

My G63 has been in the shop for repairs 14 times in its young life, for services that promised to address various issues (not surprisingly on my own dime), but never did. It wasn't until I took it to a private mechanic, was I able to address these problems.

Another recurring issue was also how the undertray fasteners were always missing after having the car in for service. My private mechanic noticed this repeatedly and informed me.

I have had similar situations with all the cars taken here, but my most recent visit has prompted me to leave this review: After having my private mechanic inspect and service the car, the S550 was brought in for a "diagnostic." Not only did they claim that the recent work required new bolts ($335+ parts and labor to replace 3 nuts), but they went on to diagnose over $4900 worth of other "necessary" work--including replacing a completely flat rear tire that was surely not flat when the car was dropped off (they found a nail in the rear tire). How convenient...

I have reported them to the MB CAC and BBB but almost always feel like online reviews are more important as they can reach other potential customers and save them from being exploited like my family has been at this dealership.
(I also don't think its a coincidence that this is the first time I was requested to speak with a manager, and not only did they refuse, but I also I didn't get an MB customer satisfaction survey via email to fill out...)

-VK69
Old 10-15-2018, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Contact MB of North America directly and inform them of how dissatisfied you are.
Remind them how many MB vehicles you have owned/own and let them know they will loose a very loyal customer if they will not address the issue to your satisfaction.

Make sure to ask for a supervisor if the customer service clerk answering the phone will not satisfy you.

This may help, it at least is worth a shot.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
Originally Posted by VK69
They are likely bound by MB to not offer many discounts, but as we know, the rates and charges from dealerships are astronomical, and they rarely gave any special consideration for loyal customers, who have spent tens of thousands of dollars there.
This does not address all of your issues with this dealership, nor am I trying to minimize your rage, but I wanted to point out that Mercedes-Benz Club of America (mbca.org) membership ($55/year) includes loyalty discounts on vehicle purchases plus more importantly discounts on both parts & labor at many participating dealerships.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:47 PM

2001 sl500
thanks guys, all really helpful.
i have a good benz whisperer in lake county if anyone needs a recommendation. honest guy who specializes in vintage mb
Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 S550
My family has serviced a G63, an SL500, an S500, and two S550s here and unfortunately we only continued to go here because they were conveniently the closest dealership.
Can't help but notice that you have a very high threshold for pain and/or wallet size. I would have been out of there after 2-3 shady services.

Which brings me to a point that I tried to make on a past topic as well: finding a good indie that is specialized in European cars or just MBs is crucial to long term maintenance of these S-es for "normal" people that are not super rich.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:43 AM

2001 sl500
No need to make this contentious w your judgey tone. I am not super rich. If anything, my biggest fault was I had an unhealthy trust in people and assumed they wouldn’t be trying to cheat me.

And the point of this thread was to expose autohaus, not to criticize.

If you read read my entire post you’ll see that I indeed already found and use a private mechanic who is honest and efficient.

Vk69

Originally Posted by Bobitza
Can't help but notice that you have a very high threshold for pain and/or wallet size. I would have been out of there after 2-3 shady services.

Which brings me to a point that I tried to make on a past topic as well: finding a good indie that is specialized in European cars or just MBs is crucial to long term maintenance of these S-es for "normal" people that are not super rich.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
I cannot adequately express how bad my experience at Autohaus on Edens in Northbrook IL (1600 West Frontage Rd, Northbrook, IL 60062, (847) 272-7900) has been over the past 4 years. My family has serviced a G63, an SL500, an S500, and two S550s here and unfortunately we only continued to go here because they were conveniently the closest dealership.

Service attendants (TL, PP, and others) were pleasant, but either ignorant to the deception of the service techs, or covering up for them; I don't know which is worse. They are likely bound by MB to not offer many discounts, but as we know, the rates and charges from dealerships are astronomical, and they rarely gave any special consideration for loyal customers, who have spent tens of thousands of dollars there.

The techs (their supposed AMG master tech, as well as others) who worked on the cars were either incompetent or dishonest, and again, I don't know which is worse.

My G63 has been in the shop for repairs 14 times in its young life, for services that promised to address various issues (not surprisingly on my own dime), but never did. It wasn't until I took it to a private mechanic, was I able to address these problems.

Another recurring issue was also how the undertray fasteners were always missing after having the car in for service. My private mechanic noticed this repeatedly and informed me.

I have had similar situations with all the cars taken here, but my most recent visit has prompted me to leave this review: After having my private mechanic inspect and service the car, the S550 was brought in for a "diagnostic." Not only did they claim that the recent work required new bolts ($335+ parts and labor to replace 3 nuts), but they went on to diagnose over $4900 worth of other "necessary" work--including replacing a completely flat rear tire that was surely not flat when the car was dropped off (they found a nail in the rear tire). How convenient...

I have reported them to the MB CAC and BBB but almost always feel like online reviews are more important as they can reach other potential customers and save them from being exploited like my family has been at this dealership.
(I also don't think its a coincidence that this is the first time I was requested to speak with a manager, and not only did they refuse, but I also I didn't get an MB customer satisfaction survey via email to fill out...)

-VK69
I am not in your neck of the woods but I can only imagine what that must be like. It would make me crazy.

You have great patience and great stamina.

I hope it all works out for you fast.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2007 Mercedes S550
Hi, Sorry for your troubles, I am sure it is very frustrating and costly.
I am in Lake County IL and could use a good MB mechanic. Care to pass along there information.
I have a few things that need to be fixed on my S550 but have been delaying since I did not want to run into these type of issues at the dealers.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
S65 GL320CDI GLS63 80 Series Landcruiser
Remember MB service advisers are paid on commission. That's why you usually get a laundry list of things that "need" to be done every time your in for repair. It's a practical world they will take as much as you give them. Dealership always recommends I need new tires and/or a brake job. No matter what. I've known my service adviser for 16 years and I finally told her to never tell me I need tires or brakes again. Also, MB dealership answer is always to replace parts to solve an issue, not necessarily fix something (a part or whatever) to solve a problem. They don't really troubleshoot rather they throw (expensive) parts at problems. Glow plug light coming on intermittently so dealership said bad glow plugs had all 6 replaced for big bucks. 2 days later glow plug light comes on again and dealership says the glow plug computer is bad. REALLY?!? I think I just paid big bucks for 6 new glow plugs for no reason!!! Just throw parts at it until they get it right because if its not fixed they just get more money! Leaky fuel injector? My independent will fix the injector itself with a rebuild kit but the dealer will only replace the injector with new. Huge price difference. Is one of the lines on your valve block leaking? Dealership will replace entire valve block rather than troubleshoot yours. Probably just a bad o-ring. Dealership answer for a leaking coolant line on my driver side turbo on the exit side (a bad $2 o-ring)? - pull the engine and replace all 4 o-rings (in and out on both turbos) for $6,500 plus tax. I did the leaking one myself in my garage and saved $6,498 plus tax. MB owners need one of the following: 1) a really good trustworthy independent with low overhead, 2) cars that are still covered by warranty or 3) lots of money that you don't mind wasting.

f you can't troubleshoot problems to a certain degree and don't have some basic knowledge of how your car operates its my opinion they just scare the crap out of you and wreck the ownership experience.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Originally Posted by UNderdog
Remember MB service advisers are paid on commission. That's why you usually get a laundry list of things that "need" to be done every time your in for repair. It's a practical world they will take as much as you give them. Dealership always recommends I need new tires and/or a brake job. No matter what. I've known my service adviser for 16 years and I finally told her to never tell me I need tires or brakes again. Also, MB dealership answer is always to replace parts to solve an issue, not necessarily fix something (a part or whatever) to solve a problem. They don't really troubleshoot rather they throw (expensive) parts at problems. Glow plug light coming on intermittently so dealership said bad glow plugs had all 6 replaced for big bucks. 2 days later glow plug light comes on again and dealership says the glow plug computer is bad. REALLY?!? I think I just paid big bucks for 6 new glow plugs for no reason!!! Just throw parts at it until they get it right because if its not fixed they just get more money! Leaky fuel injector? My independent will fix the injector itself with a rebuild kit but the dealer will only replace the injector with new. Huge price difference. Is one of the lines on your valve block leaking? Dealership will replace entire valve block rather than troubleshoot yours. Probably just a bad o-ring. Dealership answer for a leaking coolant line on my driver side turbo on the exit side (a bad $2 o-ring)? - pull the engine and replace all 4 o-rings (in and out on both turbos) for $6,500 plus tax. I did the leaking one myself in my garage and saved $6,498 plus tax. MB owners need one of the following: 1) a really good trustworthy independent with low overhead, 2) cars that are still covered by warranty or 3) lots of money that you don't mind wasting.

f you can't troubleshoot problems to a certain degree and don't have some basic knowledge of how your car operates its my opinion they just scare the crap out of you and wreck the ownership experience.
Your last sentence is the truth!

Last edited by thxrick; 10-28-2018 at 06:19 PM.