S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Promising long-term fix for NTG 3.0 Date/Time Issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 898 Likes on 746 Posts
S500
elmerfud,

where did you get the update disc.... its doing the wrong things????

the update element you want is Update on device VESPUCCI

you seem to be using a full original update disc.....that is doing everything except the bit you want....

Polar Bear's fix excludes ALL the Mercedes updates.... but it uses the original code for an update disc to start with so you do see it "think" about updating the tuner... then realises there's no data and skips forward to the only update contained in the small clock date fix disc, which is the VESPUCCI update

yours's looks like a std disc which doesn't have the clock bit but is updating everything else.... so no surprise the clock changes aren't happening

FYI (the instruction were polar bear's I just added some extra info / words)
I would install a tool on your PC to check the file has of the MD5 file hash we expect https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html it should come back with d316983fcc0a9e3d8090959524c80f2b if its the right info. Otherwise what's going on the disc would be muddled.... but it wouldn't run / you'd have broken something already. If the MD5 checks out, then maybe write a new disc with a different PC or different media

Last edited by BOTUS; 03-27-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Indeed. That's not the file that I shared . The file/fix is around 250kb and contains Polar's original instructions, not official update instructions from MB.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 s550 4Matic 2012 BMW 328i Convertible 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 2002 Landrover D2 1996 Ford f150
Thank You!

Just finished updating to software and it went perfectly! All fixed and i am a happy man! Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Fedhely (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
Hi guys,

The disk was made from the ISO received here. Fedhely send me an ISO too, but it was identical. I did make a disk from both but like I said they were the same. I also tried both disks made. Here is the file/directory structure of the disk. The very last directory in the tree is called "vespucci" with a single file in it called "Sta2051.GP7".

Disk disc was made from the ISO on the CD-R. Anyway guys, I value your opinions. Thank you guys!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:19 PM

S550
PS: I did use two separate computers to make the disk.On one laptop didn't have an option to choose the burn speed but on the desktop I used x10 speed which was the slowest available. The burn process went smooth without any glitches. Thx
Old 03-27-2020, 06:32 PM

S550
PPS: I will try the MD5 utility and also will try different media. Thanks BOTUS and megacrazy
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 PM

S550
BOTUS,

so i did use the utility you suggested. Here is the outcome for the zip file:

Here is the outcome for the ISO file:
I tried win zip to decompress it but that didn't work. Then I read somewhere in this thread to use 7-zip. that decompressed fine. Obviously I am doing something wrong here. I just cant imagine what that is. Technically I downloaded a file decompress it with 7-zip and burn the ISO. I never thought something like this could get me so over whelmed. I did try different media and computers/burner drives. I used from CD-R to everything else. (DVD-R or +R don't read it at all). Thank you BOTUS for your input.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
you get the zipped file

NTG_3_GPS_DATE_TIME_FIX.zip

you extract the contents … one file, and the only one you write to the blank cd (in a special operation so it becomes cd that autoruns its contents when triggered) is

W221_COMAND_GPS_UPDATECD_ALL_HU_V1.iso

on Win 10 its file size is 1708kb
with file hashes of

CRC32: 8EFD02FA
MD5: D316983FCC0A9E3D8090959524C80F2B
SHA-1: E29CE86500D568971FA3E0A388504A8EC25ED597

you then put this in the car and go in that mode and it updates
Old 03-28-2020, 10:12 PM

S550
Originally Posted by BOTUS
you get the zipped file

NTG_3_GPS_DATE_TIME_FIX.zip

you extract the contents … one file, and the only one you write to the blank cd (in a special operation so it becomes cd that autoruns its contents when triggered) is

W221_COMAND_GPS_UPDATECD_ALL_HU_V1.iso

on Win 10 its file size is 1708kb
with file hashes of

CRC32: 8EFD02FA
MD5: D316983FCC0A9E3D8090959524C80F2B
SHA-1: E29CE86500D568971FA3E0A388504A8EC25ED597

you then put this in the car and go in that mode and it updates
Hi BOTUS,

Everything you mention is exactly what I did. The file size is identical 1708 Kb, the file hashes is the same, as you said, It just will not update. As I mentioned above it updates something, it tells me to pull the disk out and that is it. I think I tried it at least 50 times. I'm guessing it maybe something wrong with my car, I just don't know....
Old 03-29-2020, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Well a few things spring to mind

what age is the car if its pre 2008 did you ever have the birds eye (3d mapping update) ?
what year mapping do you have, although not documented they always run the disc and spit it out saying failed, then you push it back in a 45 mins later its updated. I think the first one about 3 minutes is a firmware update/check
I would do it with the engine running parked outside... that way the battery is at the right voltage for programming and it'll see the satellites
I think you would be the first person where this has failed, so that again is interesting

when is daylight saving for Spring this year? In Europe it was last night and my car interestingly hasn't updated the clock (it should have noticed when I started it today). I drove for about 5 mins parked and locked the car for 12 minutes drove for 20 and its still not done it. I looked at settings, date which was right and for time it did have daylight saving ticked. Not too stressed but interesting its not done it yet.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/usa?year=2020
USA 8 March

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/cha...ance?year=2021
Europe 29 march

although this site says Europe planning to scrap and most likely to say fixed on summer time from 2021

Old 03-29-2020, 10:24 PM

S 600 w221
Hello guys
Can someone send me zip files so I can try to solve problem with my clock
email: 180302066@student.ius.edu.ba
Old 03-30-2020, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
seems I'm a bit stupid. Today the time and date are correct (for UK daylight saving chnage 02:00 Sunday 29 March). And it didn't update today.... so I guess did do it some point yesterday
Old 03-30-2020, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I hand a thought elmerfud, see red bold. I'm pretty sure you can get in the engineering menu without doing the screen off trick.... but maybe it needs it to do the update correctly ? all those other update element aren't even on the disc so not sure why your's would pretend its doing them..

On the top menu bar of the Comand screen that reads: Navi Audio Telephone Video Vehicle, use the COU (the control wheel) to select Vehicle. Now pull the control wheel to the bottom row menus where System Settings and Display OFF is highlighted.
  • Select Display OFF and press the control wheel down.
  • The COMAND screen will turn off but still be operating in the back ground.
You will need to perform four actions simultaneously. It may take multiple tries before you succeed. (its best to use left hand for the first two and the right for the other two)
  • Here are the actions to access the Engineering Menu:
o While the display is off, press the “ * ” button, which is referred to as the “Favourite” button and typically actuates the rear sunshade and HOLD it down.

o While holding “ * ”, press the Control Dial to the Right and HOLD there, without pressing it down or turning it.

o While the “ * ” is pressed and the Control Dial is held to the right, press the Seat Massage button to the right of the Hazard switch and HOLD it down.

o While holding the “ * ” button, the Control Dial to the Right, and the Seat Massage button, press the Mute button, which is the button located below the VOL dial and has an icon with a speaker with a slash through it.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic
I did the update a few days ago and it worked successfully for me. I was so happy when the clock automatically corrected to Summer time shortly after it was done without me even doing anything.
One thing that I almost missed from the instructions when doing it was the following:
"It is very easy when holding the Control Dial to turn it unintentionally and select other options on the top menu. YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE
“COMAND” IS SELECTED ON THE TOP MENU" even thought is in bold.

​​​​​​
Old 03-31-2020, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
if right handed...….

I found left hand, little finger on the favorite button... thumb and forefinger to hold comand knob to the right, (steadying hand on the trim with other fingers), leaving right hand to do the other buttons.

like that its right first time everytime
Old 03-31-2020, 11:36 AM

2008 S550 4Matic
My issue was not entering the menu, just that I had in fact selected the option to the right of 'Command' on the top menu. My comment was to elmerfud to make sure he is in fact selecting 'Command' on the top menu before going down to select the software update option. But based on some of the pictures above, I think he did have 'Command' selected on top. In that case I don't know what the problem might be. It did work exactly as it was supposed to for me.

Maybe burn a new CD just to be sure?
​​​
Old 03-31-2020, 04:43 PM

S550
Originally Posted by BOTUS
I hand a thought elmerfud, see red bold. I'm pretty sure you can get in the engineering menu without doing the screen off trick.... but maybe it needs it to do the update correctly ? all those other update element aren't even on the disc so not sure why your's would pretend its doing them..

On the top menu bar of the Comand screen that reads: Navi Audio Telephone Video Vehicle, use the COU (the control wheel) to select Vehicle. Now pull the control wheel to the bottom row menus where System Settings and Display OFF is highlighted.
  • Select Display OFF and press the control wheel down.
  • The COMAND screen will turn off but still be operating in the back ground.
You will need to perform four actions simultaneously. It may take multiple tries before you succeed. (its best to use left hand for the first two and the right for the other two)
  • Here are the actions to access the Engineering Menu:
o While the display is off, press the “ * ” button, which is referred to as the “Favourite” button and typically actuates the rear sunshade and HOLD it down.

o While holding “ * ”, press the Control Dial to the Right and HOLD there, without pressing it down or turning it.

o While the “ * ” is pressed and the Control Dial is held to the right, press the Seat Massage button to the right of the Hazard switch and HOLD it down.

o While holding the “ * ” button, the Control Dial to the Right, and the Seat Massage button, press the Mute button, which is the button located below the VOL dial and has an icon with a speaker with a slash through it.
Thanks guys for your suggestions. The car is 2008 S550 4matic, I am in California, San Francisco area. I'm attaching some screen pics with the details about my software versions. One thing I noticed is that I could get in the engineering mode without pressing the " * " button. If I press the Control Dial to the right and press "seat button" and " mute " in the same time it will go in engineering mode. Just for the record I went into engineering mode and tried to do the update both ways ( with pressing " * " or without pressing it), the outcome was always the same. One other thing I noticed ( not sure if you guys experience same thing ) after I turn off the screen and press " * " and Control Dial to the right, the screen will come back on even without pressing down the Control Dial. The screen comes back on as soon as I push the Control Dial to the right (I am very careful not to press it down). Siliev, I did make several copies of the ISO on two different brands of CD-Rs. I also talked to the local dealer and they did say that the "November 2019 update fix did not work for all the cars" . Not sure why that is. They also said that a new fix was issued in February 2020. Did you guys hear anything about this "February Update" ? So to sum it up I don't have issues entering the engineering mode at all. I also don't have troubles making the disk from the ISO. What appears to me, doing the update it doesn't appear to do any update even if in the end claims the "update was successful" After it starts it never reboots and also it never goes to the directory "Vespucci" as I noticed in the you tube video where the update was successful. See the pics I attache previously. Maybe something about my car that prevents any pdates to take place. Some kind of setting that I'm not aware of which does not allow the update to take place. Any of you are aware of such setting? No doubt this is a great update, it made a lot of people happy and that is great. I guess this is just my poor luck. Anyway thank you guys!!! and stay well and healthy. Here are the pics about the SW and GPS versions

If you guys think of any other detail would be relevant please let me know. Thx and stay well!
Old 03-31-2020, 04:57 PM

2008 S550 4Matic
My car is also a 2008 S550 4-Matic. So that is weird. I can share the file I got from megacrazy I believe. I'm in Chicagoland area.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:01 AM

W221 S500 4matic
May I have the link for update, please? Thanks. insist.dejan@gmail.com
Old 04-01-2020, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Elmerfud, can you post a pic of the different HW Versions from the Comand engineering menu? I’ve been looking at all the pics you posted and at this point I don’t think you did anything wrong. Clearly the update doesn’t work for your car.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
not sure sharing mine adds much as a European vehicle... some stuff I see matches. On the update its 10 mins start to finish, as soon as you trigger it you see update tuner (for about 2 seconds if that) it realises the code isn't in the disc and jumps to the next bit... which is always Vespucci (as there is NOTHING else on the cd) this takes the 6 to 7 minutes then it reboots all done

polar bear released the update he and others worked on in November. As it seemed to work and I guess in contact with someone at Benz and it went official in February, but polar bear reported back saying info on the disc is identical (allegedly including the small diagnostic funny where the car says that part of the car software out of sync - which is because the update is new)

I guess with the engine running …. get the last official update disc and make sure the car is up to the old standard... then try applying the clock fix ?

on the screen with some of the it
my MB number is 2218709287/001
HW CPU SH7751 (SH4R) 240M
decoder XSYS_SW_VER1.588 b
DVD Firmware not on scree like yours elsewhere
HDD Firmware NB001A

Others UHI_221 41/05
TV Tuner 03/06
Tuner Amp 32/05 SW version 09/42/13 (but it can run 2010, 6 months newer off the facelift cars just fine, with very mild graphics tweak that better)
DAB 25/07 (what Europe gets instead of sirus)
HB/APS_DVD-C_ECE 16/06

Last edited by BOTUS; 04-01-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:33 PM

S550
Thanks megacrazy and BOTUS , I will be happy to post some more pics about "HW". Currently my dad decided to borrow the car so I will not be able to do it till this weekend. Just a few more details that I may have not mentioned previously. The dvd/cd changer was replaced about 6 months ago. I asked the repair shop and I was told they replaced it with correct OEM replacement. It does work just fine as far as i can tell. Well, a side of this update maybe. Also, I did try to do the updates with engine running and with engine stopped. "get the last official update disc and make sure the car is up to the old standard... then try applying the clock fix" My guess is that my car is the old standard because based on the clock not updating. But of course I couldn't know for sure. I wonder where would I get the last official update bringing it to the old standard? Anyway, I will come back with more pics. Thanks again guys and stay well and healthy.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I don't think they released a whole update disc…. (although would make lots of sense) If they did buy one.
do you have diagnostic to check software of the comand unit (oddly not found in the pics)
Old 04-02-2020, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
I have the telematics updates but you need SDS to apply those as far as I remember (it's been a while). I don't think they run on their own.

Also, at this point...how much do we care about this clock? Does it bother you guys that much? Does anyone even use it? I honestly forget it's even there most of the time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Promising long-term fix for NTG 3.0 Date/Time Issues.