2014 S-Class Euro Delivery Option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG & RR
Question 2014 S-Class Euro Delivery Option

So since the Edition 1 is clearly lacking options and packages I put in a request to my dealer for a Euro-Delivery. They didn't seem very happy about it for some reason but said they'll collect some information and get back to me.

I did some research though and found a handful of dealerships, not local, offering Euro-Delivery options but I wanted to know if anyone here has any suggestions or recommendations about how one can make it a great experience as I've never done it before.

Also I hope that this post will serve as a tool for others wanting to do the same.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
I wouldn't think a dealer would like that. Don't they lose most of their money off of that deal?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:46 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,396 Likes on 2,843 Posts
2012 CLS63
haha!!! poor dealer

good luck OP
Old 10-12-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Im doing euro delivery for the first time as well. My local dealer also seemed hesitant about it so i did some research and found an out of state dealer to complete the process for me. Im picking up 2nd week of December. Also, i got s total of 10% off msrp (7% normal ed discount plus an additional dealer incentive of 3%).

Im planning a 5 day trip- pickup car in stuttgart, drive to colmar france, strasbourg, luxembourg city, brussels, amsterdam, then dropping off in Bremerhaven which is where all cars are shipped out from, this way, i hope I can expect a quicker stateside pickup. After dropoff, taking train to Hamburg, spend the night and fly back.

Good luck with your order!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
you have 15 days of euro insurance included with your euro delivery. They have some pre set itineraries like the black forest alps rally. You can see Neuschwanstein on that route. Or pick a drop off and do your own. Head west into Austria or south trough switzerland into northern Italy and south of France. Nice is a drop off so you can hit Monaco/Monte Carlo.

1 think to know EU requires winter/all season tires by law in the winter. I don't know when "winter" starts. If you have sport +1 tires might be an issue
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 66 Likes on 22 Posts
W223 S580, Range Rover Supercharged LWB, Audi A8L, BMW 750i, Porsche 911 Carrera S (997)
Originally Posted by LETO
you have 15 days of euro insurance included with your euro delivery. They have some pre set itineraries like the black forest alps rally. You can see Neuschwanstein on that route. Or pick a drop off and do your own. Head west into Austria or south trough switzerland into northern Italy and south of France. Nice is a drop off so you can hit Monaco/Monte Carlo.

1 think to know EU requires winter/all season tires by law in the winter. I don't know when "winter" starts. If you have sport +1 tires might be an issue
I ordered sport plus one and dealer said they would put all season tires on. Winter tire months are required im Austria and Switzerland between november and march
Old 10-12-2013, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I doubt they lose any money. They probably just don't know how to do it and don't want to do all the paperwork.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550, 2011 E350 Cabriolet, Asgard Mothership
I used Herbert Haemmer for EDP

I contacted a great dealer that handles EDP at Mercedes of Escondido. Herbert Haemmer is from Germany and knows the area well. He even recommended that rather than use the free Mercedes night in a hotel in Stuttgart, that I stay at a hotel across the from train station in Stuttgart and save the free night for the Interalpen Hotel in Austria. Herbert made the reservations for me so he is a full-service person. The transaction has been nothing short of perfect. I have made a few changes to my order and he has graciously taken the time to deal with all of them and answer my questions.

I know this sounds like an advertisement, but my only relationship is as a very satisfied customer. I tried my local dealers but one was not overly enthusiastic about EDP and one would not offer any discount beyond the standard 7%. Herb was able to get another 2% off for his EDP customers so my car is 9% cheaper than MSRP plus no destination charge (which is standard for the EDP program). The car will be shipped to a local dealer just to fill up the tank and wash the car. Herb handles all of that process. I should also add the the EDP folks at Mercedes in Montvale have been very helpful as well. I highly recommend the process if you like traveling in Europe and have the patience to wait for the car to be shipped after you drop it off.

That last one is the only downside I see to the program (and its not really a negative for the patient). After I drop my car off in Nice, I have to wait 6-8 weeks to have it shipped to Brunswick, prepped and to arrive at the local dealer. After driving the car around Italy for 10 days, I will have to fondly think of my memories while waiting those 6 weeks (I'm hoping since I'm in Florida). But, I still think they will be unbearable. One other point, I do not know how this works if you lease the car. I am buying it outright, but I have heard two different thoughts for leasing. You can definitely lease an EDP car, but there is some question when the payment starts. You could be leasing a car for a month or two that you are not driving. If leasing is your thing, I am sure Herbert can answer any questions. Herbert has a website here.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:31 AM

The stock tires on my car (non-sport but I do not think it makes a difference) are all-season and they are acceptable for Austrian roads. If you need chains, that is another issue depending upon where you are going. That is what my dealer explained to me. I'm getting 20inch tires but not from the sport package. I cannot say if that is a factor but I doubt it. If you have code R02 tires, you are OK.

This text is from the package that MBUSA sends out:

Winter Travel:
* We do not have a winter tire exchange program do to legal and logistical issues. We do not recommend driving in winter conditions.
* In Europe, vehicles must have winter tires in wintery weather. Cars with “R02 code” All Season Tires (M+S marked on the side of the tire ) meet the winter tire laws in Germany and Austria.
* Due to Customs regulations, the vehicle must return to the States with the original tires from the factory.
*While traveling in Europe during the months of November through April, it is the
responsibility of the car owner/driver to adhere to local traffic regulations, which require that a vehicle must have winter tires in winter driving conditions, and take appropriate measures for travel in prevailing weather conditions. As stated in the Operator's Manual for your vehicle, always use winter tires at temperatures below 45 degrees F (7degrees C) and whenever wintry road conditions prevail. See your Operator's Manual for specific details concerning
operation of your vehicle, including information concerning tires and snow chains for winter driving conditions.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Just so you know - European Delivery "pays" the dealer full profit from US equivalent MSRP - the only "downside" to the dealer is that technically they are paid based on month of US delivery.

In the Euro program in addition to the "discount" - your price includes US delivery charge to the delivering dealer so you save that $925.

Your order specs - with your passport # - are entered as a order request to MB Euro program - then they come back with confirmation - if you do not have a passport yet - the dealer can enter nine 0's for your passport # for now to get the order in process and confirmed back.

On the shipment back to the US - your MB when picked up in Euro has the Euro infotainment system (for Euro GPS) - and that has to be switched back, then the MB is repackaged for shipment - and that packing is actually much more intensive than production packing.

Pick up a Euro grill badge when over there - nice momento..
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM

2008 S550
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
So since the Edition 1 is clearly lacking options and packages I put in a request to my dealer for a Euro-Delivery. They didn't seem very happy about it for some reason but said they'll collect some information and get back to me.

I did some research though and found a handful of dealerships, not local, offering Euro-Delivery options but I wanted to know if anyone here has any suggestions or recommendations about how one can make it a great experience as I've never done it before.

Also I hope that this post will serve as a tool for others wanting to do the same.
Hello! We took european delivery of my wife's SLK 350 1 year ago this week. At the time they were building c classes at the factory but they were about to convert the factory we toured into S class production. Fabulous trip, I recommend the Black Forest Rally package. It is a true bargain, as you pay about $200 per night for the hotels and many of them are $500-$800 per night, with the meals that they include. Our favorite hotels were Brenner's Park (Baden-Baden) and the Interalpen (Telfs, Austria). The savings would have paid for our trip had we flown economy, but we splurged fro business and were happy we did. From your area of the country you can go through Chicago, Atlanta or Newark for non-stops to Stuttgart. Have a wondeful time!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 458 Italia, 2014 X5
Originally Posted by Skerdian
Im doing euro delivery for the first time as well. My local dealer also seemed hesitant about it so i did some research and found an out of state dealer to complete the process for me. Im picking up 2nd week of December. Also, i got s total of 10% off msrp (7% normal ed discount plus an additional dealer incentive of 3%).

Im planning a 5 day trip- pickup car in stuttgart, drive to colmar france, strasbourg, luxembourg city, brussels, amsterdam, then dropping off in Bremerhaven which is where all cars are shipped out from, this way, i hope I can expect a quicker stateside pickup. After dropoff, taking train to Hamburg, spend the night and fly back.

This itinerary is simply too much. I have been to all your destination cities as I love to fly into Germany to rent a car and drive on autobahn and Nurburgring.
Either you extend your trip to 14 days or try to trim down your destinations.
In 5 days.. First night, you will be dead tired. Next day, You take your delivery and visit Porsche museum and walk around Stuttgart.
Next day, you drive to Colmar and Strasbourg. Enjoy Grimbergen beers when you get there. Long drive though.
From there, you can drive up to Luxembourg where you really don't have anything to see. But the place is somewhat near Nurburgring. After Nurburgring, drive to Frankfurt. Then go home.
PS- do not drive your normal rental car on Nurburgring. Rental car companies have spies there. If you are caught driving on Nurburgring, there can be a hell waiting for you. Many options to rent a real race car in Nurburgring. Since you can afford an S Klasse, you can pay a thousand for a decent race car that includes insurance. ( deductible is normally 12,000 euros!)
Have fun.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM

2013 458 Italia, 2014 X5

I am also thinking about euro delivery on my wife's next car. She currently drives a BMW 750 Li with M option. I have done M3 euro del couple of years ago and the whole process was easy and nice.
When I asked a sales manager at LA downtown motors about euro delivery, he had a blank look in his eyes. Had no clue but will accommodate he said. I was picking up my family SUV at the time. A GL.
That got me to think.. If the guy has no clue..and he has to work an extra hour to get the paper work researched, he would not give me a decent deal..
So I was waiting for a thread like this to appear so we all can benefit and contribute.
If anyone knows of a dealer or a salesman who is proficient in euro delivery, please let us know.
I will post my experience here as well when time comes. Planning on ordering in Spring 2014 and pick up in Stuttgart in June with my family for a nice 14 day euro trip.
We have been to euro land many many times. But driving around in a rented A4 station wagon vs an S Klasse? I think my wife and boys will be scared on Autobahn as daddy will be pushing 160. Though NOT recommended and frowned upon, I took my M3 on Autobahn beyond 160 mph. Too bad they limit it to 155 in the States but who does 155 on Cal hwy? Full of pot holes and cops wanting to ticket you for going 75..
If anyone has any destination questions, pls do ask!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Originally Posted by MDrill
I am also thinking about euro delivery on my wife's next car. She currently drives a BMW 750 Li with M option. I have done M3 euro del couple of years ago and the whole process was easy and nice.
When I asked a sales manager at LA downtown motors about euro delivery, he had a blank look in his eyes. Had no clue but will accommodate he said. I was picking up my family SUV at the time. A GL.
That got me to think.. If the guy has no clue..and he has to work an extra hour to get the paper work researched, he would not give me a decent deal..
So I was waiting for a thread like this to appear so we all can benefit and contribute.
If anyone knows of a dealer or a salesman who is proficient in euro delivery, please let us know.
I will post my experience here as well when time comes. Planning on ordering in Spring 2014 and pick up in Stuttgart in June with my family for a nice 14 day euro trip.
We have been to euro land many many times. But driving around in a rented A4 station wagon vs an S Klasse? I think my wife and boys will be scared on Autobahn as daddy will be pushing 160. Though NOT recommended and frowned upon, I took my M3 on Autobahn beyond 160 mph. Too bad they limit it to 155 in the States but who does 155 on Cal hwy? Full of pot holes and cops wanting to ticket you for going 75..
If anyone has any destination questions, pls do ask!
Check your PM
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM

I PM'ed Herbert Haemmer's info from MB of Escondido. See above for my experiences so far.

Regarding the autobahn, I'm thinking that the 132 MPH governor on the S550 will keep me within the break-in margins I know top speed if only 20 or so higher, but I hope I have the nerve to drive 130. Then again. maybe in the S550, it does not seem as noticeable.

Anyone have their V222 S550 up to 130 yet?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this post so far. If it wasn't for this post I would not have been made aware of the winter tires for euro driving. I've contacted a few dealers now and am hoping to get some information about how to proceed next week and shall keep you all posted.

Considering since it will be winter time when the car will be ready, I'd imagine it's possible to build the car later as well? Also I'm wondering if I do delay the build to Spring then I'd probably not receive the car state-side until mid summer which is usually the time the following year models are built for fall delivery here in LA. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this post so far. If it wasn't for this post I would not have been made aware of the winter tires for euro driving. I've contacted a few dealers now and am hoping to get some information about how to proceed next week and shall keep you all posted.

Considering since it will be winter time when the car will be ready, I'd imagine it's possible to build the car later as well? Also I'm wondering if I do delay the build to Spring then I'd probably not receive the car state-side until mid summer which is usually the time the following year models are built for fall delivery here in LA. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Your car will have all season tires. You don't need winter tires. If you are driving in the mountains, that's another story though.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Hey Tom S, I'm not sure if you sent me a PM but apparently the box was full. I assume you are talking about this person?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:00 AM

2013 458 Italia, 2014 X5
Hey Tom S, I'm not sure if you sent me a PM but apparently the box was full. I assume you are talking about this person?
I have seen that link in the past. Herbert must be an expert for Merc euro delivery. But Escondido is so far from me.. Just visiting the dealer will be a mini trip in itself.
Why can't we find confident Merc salesman who can arrange euro delivery in Los Angeles area?
Can someone post his or her experience with LA dealers? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Originally Posted by MDrill
I have seen that link in the past. Herbert must be an expert for Merc euro delivery. But Escondido is so far from me.. Just visiting the dealer will be a mini trip in itself.
Why can't we find confident Merc salesman who can arrange euro delivery in Los Angeles area?
Can someone post his or her experience with LA dealers? Thanks in advance.
Escondido is a fantastic dealership.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Skerdian

A good friend of mine is thinking about doing Euro Delivery for his new S-Class. Can you help me/him out and let me know the name of the dealer who got 10% off? I'd be appreciative. My S550 is due before the end of the year.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by patekfan88
A good friend of mine is thinking about doing Euro Delivery for his new S-Class. Can you help me/him out and let me know the name of the dealer who got 10% off? I'd be appreciative. My S550 is due before the end of the year.
I'm curious if he meant 9% plus the $925 destination charge we don't pay. It ends up being 9. Herbert at Escondido is where I received 9 % off.

Tom