Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:25 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by v8plus4
And it works the same way across a lot of other brands. Do you think the 1-series makes an m5 guy any less likely to buy the m5? Or a 7 guy to buy a 7? Hell no. But what do you think initially attracted the 1-series guy to BMW? Certainly not the 1 series! It's because the m5's and B7's etc are such bad-asses! You don't sell a guy one car, you sell him several over his lifetime.
Well to be fair, the 1 Series looks nothing like the 7. I'm talking about the C being literally a copy/paste design of the S, which I think will make the S very "un-special" once C's start flooding the roads. Technically and fundamentally special, yes, agreed, of course as the S is obviously an amazing car in its own right, but emotive-ly I think it'll suffer as well as the perceived prestige of it. The CLA also has a front that looks like the new CL too closely, which I think isn't right for a car that can easily sticker for $100K more than the CLA. To me, a brand as prestigious as M-B has to draw the line somewhere. It's good to attract the Sonata guy, but not to get a car that is close enough to Sonata pricing, because soon enough you may wash out the desirability of upper scale M-B's. Speaking for myself, unless I need the space of the S, I wouldn't get one, knowing that the C looks identical to it, just scaled down. In fairness, M-B fans have been criticizing BMW and Audi for this for years, and now that the S and C are doing it, I'm seeing a lot of the same people justifying it.

I personally don't think M-B as as aspirational as they were 10 years ago, because of how accessible they are. And the closer and more elements the lower models have shared with the upper ones, IMO the less likely people will be to spend big bucks for high priced M-B's, as to them, M-B is too accessible a brand and they "already get that at a lower price". For the record, at the Auto Show here, I heard a lot of people looking at the GLA and CLA (namely the GLA) saying things along the lines of "WTH is that, since when did Mercedes start making cars that compete with Hyundai?"

It's the same reason I wouldn't aspire to get a 7 Series if I wanted to spend more money but stay with BMW. Aside from the fact that I don't need it, it looks too much like the 5er, in fact, the 5 looks more dynamic, drives more dynamic, has an almost identical interior (nicer designed IMO but with less leather surfaces), and is on the exact same chassis. To me, if the 7 sales have truly declined (which sounds odd as I've heard it's the best selling 7 of all time?) it'd have at least something to do with the fact that the 5 completely cannibalizes it, and gives you no reason to really "want" the 7 unless you require the size.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes S550
The problem with this argument is that it's gonna take years to see who's right. But right now Germancar1 is in the lead, because the S is selling like a new Apple phone release. And it is the best S I've ever seen or owned.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Kratos-TM
The problem with this argument is that it's gonna take years to see who's right. But right now Germancar1 is in the lead, because the S is selling like a new Apple phone release. And it is the best S I've ever seen or owned.
You're right, we won't know until years from now.

However, my argument has nothing to do with initial sales. Firstly, any new S no matter how it looks will sell out, it's a new S Class, which is a monumental event in the automotive world. I'm not downplaying the W222 in any way as it's truly worthy of its initial sales as it's a marvel in multitudes of ways, but that's just how it is when a new S launches. It has no bearing to my point whatsoever. M-B sales overall also don't because I'm criticizing the downgrading of the brands "perceived prestige" to chase mass sales, which was never what M-B stood for.

The CLA of course will sell like crazy, which is what bothers me right there. Slapping a Star and a mini CLS styling language on a Front Wheel Drive sub-compact car that starts at $30K is a cheap shot in an attempt to exploit the M-B cachet to grab buyers. To me that car isn't representative of M-B in any way. It lacks in sophistication, the interior is really no better than any other car from any other brand in that price range (in fact worse than many if not most cars in that price range, IMO, I found it very unbecoming for M-B), and it doesn't drive great at all. It drives "fine", but doesn't offer anything to really brag about. It isn't super quiet, isn't super smooth, and isn't all that dynamic nor sporty, if at all.

However, yes, you take all that cachet M-B has built up since the beginning of the car, and launch it at the lowest entry price ever in the U.S, it will sell out.... it BETTER sell out! And a new S as well better sell out. Both need to be massive sales hits for at least their first couple of years or else something will look wrong.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
If the car sells then you have no point. People reacting to the GLA and CLA at an autoshow are you kidding me? That doesn't mean jack ****. They most likely aren't buyers.

You simply don't get how brands like Mercedes, BMW and Audi have to adapt in order to survive. This whole thing about the top end selling less is the very reason why they're going downmarket. The high-end market shrunk post 2008. Common sense. If the top end was like it used to be Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes wouldn't be reaching downward. BMW just launched a FWD Minivan that I see no mention of here. What does that do to their brand?

M
Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Some interesting facts:
Attached Thumbnails Official 2015 Mercedes S-class Coupe-image-1607008665.jpg  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Damn....

What was once an enjoyable thread on the S Class Coupe has now turned into a b!tch fest between two or three people for the last three pages...

What a joke...
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,420 Likes on 2,858 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Kratos-TM

Originally Posted by 06E55
Damn....

What was once an enjoyable thread on the S Class Coupe has now turned into a b!tch fest between two or three people for the last three pages...

What a joke...
Amen Sir
Old 02-20-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 550
Looking forward to seeing the coupe in person. I think this will be another of those cars where pictures just don't capture the epic feeling of the car.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Damn.... What was once an enjoyable thread on the S Class Coupe has now turned into a b!tch fest between two or three people for the last three pages... What a joke...
Agreed.
This is what off-topic threads are all about!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Damn....

What a joke...
I agree, I even had to add Germancar1 to my ignore list. Even though he has proven to be a valuable forum member with some good posts, he has been feeding the troll and its annoying.
Its tough to decide which one is more annoying, the troll or the one feeding the troll?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 PM

2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
TBH I don't really like where MB is going with their styling with their newest cars. The refreshed W212 E63 AMG looks too boy racer to me and the rear end of this S Class like many said looks like a VW CC. Of course one has to see it in person to make a final decision but dang.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 PM

Dang the old warrior K-A finds himself embroiled in another battle. Not taking sides here but why do people come down on K-A? He's owned MB products before and I remember him criticizing the ride quality of the sport model E350 which was actually well argued. The E60 BMW 545i M Sport is definitely one of the best cars I've ever driven.

The cheapest MB that should be available should be the B Class which as of the newest generation looks and performs great. The A, CLA and GLA should not exist and they seem like a lame attempt at "adapting" to the new market trends. Sure they'll be more solid than Japanese offerings but they're not all that cheap and affordable to begin with once optioned out and will just end up looking tacky in the long run like the early 2000s C Class coupe.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Can we please get on topic here and post some more pics of Kate Upton, forget the S-class Coupe

Last edited by cookstar; 02-20-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Khan28
Dang the old warrior K-A finds himself embroiled in another battle. Not taking sides here but why do people come down on K-A? He's owned MB products before and I remember him criticizing the ride quality of the sport model E350 which was actually well argued. The E60 BMW 545i M Sport is definitely one of the best cars I've ever driven.

The cheapest MB that should be available should be the B Class which as of the newest generation looks and performs great. The A, CLA and GLA should not exist and they seem like a lame attempt at "adapting" to the new market trends. Sure they'll be more solid than Japanese offerings but they're not all that cheap and affordable to begin with once optioned out and will just end up looking tacky in the long run like the early 2000s C Class coupe.
Great! Good Job Buddy!
But what the hell does all of this have to do with the S class or the S coupe?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 PM

2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Originally Posted by cookstar
Can we please get on topic here and post some more pics of Kate Upton, forget the S-class Coupe

I'll better her....Heidi Klum

Old 02-21-2014, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Yea. Lets keep it Mercedes related

Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,420 Likes on 2,858 Posts
2012 CLS63
LMAO!!!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Great! Good Job Buddy!
But what the hell does all of this have to do with the S class or the S coupe?
I should have elaborated. All I meant was that I don't like the direction MB is going in with the addition of pointless vehicles and the styling cues of their newest cars. 3 things irk me about new MBs and that would be

1) Standard sport packages which makes it very hard to locate luxury model variants of cars and they ride a bit too firm for a MB. I know that's odd for a 22 year old like myself to say but I prefer how old Mercs ride and my 06 is the last of the "traditional" MB. If I really wanted sport I would have went for BMW as they always hit the spot on ride and handling.

2) Adding the CLA and GLA. Now people can buy what they want but I don't see how MB can attract new and younger buyers with those specific models. It's not like they're so cheap that more people can access an MB product. A base CLA 250 has nothing going for it and once you check off a few option boxes the price will exceed $40k and they will go the way the original early 00s C Class coupe went.

3) The styling cues are butt ugly. I think the S Class sedan and C Class look great. I saw the C400 at the AutoShow here in Toronto last week and thought it was beautiful inside and out. As for the refreshed E Class W212, it looks too boy racer to me and looks too much even in the AMG models. This new coupe is also the victim of whacky styling.

I'll buy me a C300 or C400 in around 2017 when the prices start to fall on the W205 C Class. MB better never screw that up as it's their bread and butter. I see at least 10 C Classes per day.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Veteran: Marine Corp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'24 CLE 53
Some make it sound like two clowns sit around MB designing cars that are about to doom the company. Because they make decisions you don't like they must be inept.
While I'd agree big companies can and do make errors, with all the market research they do and as clear as they understand buyer demographics, I'm inclined to believe that just because I may not personally like something, it doesn't mean it won't be successful in the global market space. I'd bet the marketing dept of MB exposed hundreds of people to this design concept. They were probably carefully selected for their love and interest in cars as well as how closely they represented the demographic MB learned was the one to target. Of course, as the concept car of last year is so strikingly close to the production model, they also had an opportunity to gather a broader market consensus.

Those of you that have frequented car boards for years will recall the moans about the M cars. BMW has "trashed the M car line" etc. "No one wants the weight that comes with luxury features on an M car" was the common refrain. Well, they're still selling lots of them.

Soon after that, what we referred to as manuals before than term became nebulous, started to disappear as they weren't selling in the real world market. Of course, that was going to doom them in terms of sales. Not !! Now you have the new 911 Turbo, (just one example), a preeminent sports car, with PDK as the only option. I doubt more than a 5% of the potential buyers will even care and the tiny portion of Porsche owners that lament it on their user boards just drink their own bathwater with inconsequential impact on the global market's reaction.

In many respects this board is like the Rolex boards. Less to 1% of the buyers even know the boards exist, never mind care enough to visit one.

Last edited by BigHat; 02-21-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:04 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

TBH I don't really like where MB is going with their styling with their newest cars. The refreshed W212 E63 AMG looks too boy racer to me and the rear end of this S Class like many said looks like a VW CC. Of course one has to see it in person to make a final decision but dang.

I should have elaborated. All I meant was that I don't like the direction MB is going in with the addition of pointless vehicles and the styling cues of their newest cars. 3 things irk me about new MBs and that would be

1) Standard sport packages which makes it very hard to locate luxury model variants of cars and they ride a bit too firm for a MB. I know that's odd for a 22 year old like myself to say but I prefer how old Mercs ride and my 06 is the last of the "traditional" MB. If I really wanted sport I would have went for BMW as they always hit the spot on ride and handling.

2) Adding the CLA and GLA. Now people can buy what they want but I don't see how MB can attract new and younger buyers with those specific models. It's not like they're so cheap that more people can access an MB product. A base CLA 250 has nothing going for it and once you check off a few option boxes the price will exceed $40k and they will go the way the original early 00s C Class coupe went.

3) The styling cues are butt ugly. I think the S Class sedan and C Class look great. I saw the C400 at the AutoShow here in Toronto last week and thought it was beautiful inside and out. As for the refreshed E Class W212, it looks too boy racer to me and looks too much even in the AMG models. This new coupe is also the victim of whacky styling.

I'll buy me a C300 or C400 in around 2017 when the prices start to fall on the W205 C Class. MB better never screw that up as it's their bread and butter. I see at least 10 C Classes per day.
Well stated on all points, Khan. I appreciate the respectful insight and critical thinking. You sound like a TRUE M-B enthusiast (i.e one who understands what got the brand to where they are today, and not someone who swallows whatever the board room decides to throw against the wall to appease shareholders).

Note: I'm not implying that everyone here is the latter, so everyone don't get all snark and flame on me here.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 5er
Originally Posted by BigHat
Some make it sound like two clowns sit around MB designing cars that are about to doom the company. Because they make decisions you don't like they must be inept.
While I'd agree big companies can and do make errors, with all the market research they do and as clear as they understand buyer demographics, I'm inclined to believe that just because I may not personally like something, it doesn't mean it won't be successful in the global market space. I'd bet the marketing dept of MB exposed hundreds of people to this design concept. They were probably carefully selected for their love and interest in cars as well as how closely they represented the demographic MB learned was the one to target. Of course, as the concept car of last year is so strikingly close to the production model, they also had an opportunity to gather a broader market consensus.

Those of you that have frequented car boards for years will recall the moans about the M cars. BMW has "trashed the M car line" etc. "No one wants the weight that comes with luxury features on an M car" was the common refrain. Well, they're still selling lots of them.

Soon after that, what we referred to as manuals before than term became nebulous, started to disappear as they weren't selling in the real world market. Of course, that was going to doom them in terms of sales. Not !! Now you have the new 911 Turbo, (just one example), a preeminent sports car, with PDK as the only option. I doubt more than a 5% of the potential buyers will even care and the tiny portion of Porsche owners that lament it on their user boards just drink their own bathwater with inconsequential impact on the global market's reaction.

In many respects this board is like the Rolex boards. Less to 1% of the buyers even know the boards exist, never mind care enough to visit one.

i agree with this, what's good for business is what goes out the door. these boards are opinion pieces, and i agree with the critiques of the designs, but the producer knows what he is doing from a spreadsheet & chart perspective.

porsche is a good example. it's become more of a trophy wife in a fur coat with a little dog clientele than a purist shop. they have ride-softening mechanisms and little SUV's and china-specific bubble-butt cars now. they've wandered so far from the core... but business is good!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porsche has produced new models, but they still remain the sportiest options in their respective segments so I wouldn't say they've strayed at all. Their cars usually destroy the competition. They have not made a non-Porsche, dud vehicle yet.

M
Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 5er
^ the cute-ute and china-fugly segments are not sporty (and don't need to be to get to starbucks & back). being the smartest kid on the short bus doesn't make one a genius. i don't blame porsche though - it's the buyers that suck.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by E Classy
^ the cute-ute and china-fugly segments are not sporty (and don't need to be to get to starbucks & back). being the smartest kid on the short bus doesn't make one a genius. i don't blame porsche though - it's the buyers that suck.
In Germany, Porsche enthusiasts decried the Cayenne when it was introduced, yet it became and still currently is the best selling Porsche. In Germany as well...

This has noting to do with China or the Porsche brand. The reality is that most cars in the world, even the most exotic, are used day by day in slow traffic for simple transportation needs and errands, going nowhere fast.

People just like to do this in the nicest ride they can afford

Sorry for staying off-topic...
Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WOW the point is missed here.

M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official 2015 Mercedes S-class Coupe