S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Spoiler is spoiling my life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Rami_saeed
This is getting out of control, don't get me wrong, but man just wait for the painted one and badges and see how to goes!! it's not going to be as good as factory but just take it and accept the fact u took some risk and it didn't work so u'll end up with painted one. as far as badges, who cares, just straighten them up at that time if they don't come good. I don't see any reason for the hundreds of lines u wrote, most of the comments you were expressing how worried u are. Would be easier for everyone and more benificial to just summarize ur questions, read answers, and them later summarize ur findings here. No offense man... but deal with it as a CAR that you own, not as a toy that a kid owns.
Sorry but I just don’t think I should be forced to accept something that’s “not as good as factory” when it wasn’t even my doing. I asked if there was a way to remove the spoiler. They said yes and messed it up. Not my fault. I just want the car I want for the money I pay. I’m not very thin skinned so feel free to criticize the situation and me freely ... but at least appreciate the details and respect my wish to do what you’re basically suggesting: enjoy the damn car.

Last edited by hundolots; 11-10-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:41 AM

S550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
No offense, but this is getting to be a bit NUTS! These are very nice cars, but for most who own or lease them, they are everyday drivers. As perfect as the car may be at delivery, it will suffer any number of humiliations in the months and years to come. Rock chips, door dings, colossal bird poop. Unless you tuck this car in a heated garage all year long and never drive it, it will show wear and tear, more than likely, way worse that an expertly repainted trunk lid will ever look. That said, let them paint the lid, put the emblems back or don’t and just enjoy the damn thing. Life is WAY too short to put yourself through hell over a trunk lid on a sedan that you will probably drive for only three years. Have a martini—or three—and chill out. 🍸🍸🍸
This is most definitely my everyday car. And I have been enjoying it and intend to continue doing so. But it just grinds my gears that the service department assured me this was an easy job, then they f’d it up. Now — for my troubles — I have to live with a brand new, but not factory car.

Tbh I don’t even keep the cars in a garage. It’s a pain in the *** esp for the two every day cars. I have no problem weathering the elements with these vehicles, but I don’t like to start ANYTHING in the negative column. Especially when it was not my error. I’m surprised more people can’t appreciate that. We’re talking about works of art here!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 715 Likes on 463 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by hundolots
Sorry but I just don’t think I should be forced to accept something that’s “not as good as factory” when it wasn’t even my doing. I asked if there was a way to remove the spoiler. They said yes and messed it up. Not my fault. I just want the car I want for the money I pay.
It looks like it's too late... whatever happened has just happened and there is not way to fix it now other than painting it or even getting a new trunk (and paint it again, which means same problem, new paint done separately for the trunk by hand)
I don't think posting here would help u, i would rather go and talk to them, but u'll be forced to accept the fact it happened and there is not way to return it to a factory-like conditions with the original factory paint done at same time along with all other parts of the car. if you are that picky, only way to get around it with perfect factory conditions and non-painted car is literally to replace it with a new car. Just accept the fact it happened and deal with it, and next time never ever allow anyone to do any body work on such new cars even if it's badge or spoiler removal... once it happens it'd done...
Old 11-10-2019, 11:23 AM

S550
It looks like it's too late... whatever happened has just happened and there is not way to fix it now other than painting it or even getting a new trunk (and paint it again, which means same problem, new paint done separately for the trunk by hand)
I don't think posting here would help u, i would rather go and talk to them, but u'll be forced to accept the fact it happened and there is not way to return it to a factory-like conditions with the original factory paint done at same time along with all other parts of the car. if you are that picky, only way to get around it with perfect factory conditions and non-painted car is literally to replace it with a new car. Just accept the fact it happened and deal with it, and next time never ever allow anyone to do any body work on such new cars even if it's badge or spoiler removal... once it happens it'd done...
Never? Not even the actual MB service department? One kind of operates under the assumption that they know what they’re doing and must perform to a certain standard.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:53 AM

S550
Originally Posted by DABRONX
They come attached to a piece of wax type paper prearranged and spaced. you simply measure and press them on a 5 year old could do it.
Well, fortunately I have a 5 year old and he may end up doing it depending on how out of hand this f**ing situation gets! Lol
Old 11-10-2019, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,687 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Sorry but I just don’t think I should be forced to accept something that’s “not as good as factory” when it wasn’t even my doing. I asked if there was a way to remove the spoiler. They said yes and messed it up. Not my fault. I just want the car I want for the money I pay. I’m not very thin skinned so feel free to criticize the situation and me freely ... but at least appreciate the details and respect my wish to do what you’re basically suggesting: enjoy the damn car.
OK, then get a lawyer and sue the dealer. Now, let’s move on.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:06 PM

S550
funny

Last edited by hundolots; 11-10-2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 11-10-2019, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 742 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

Last edited by MBNUT1; 11-10-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Never? Not even the actual MB service department? One kind of operates under the assumption that they know what they’re doing and must perform to a certain standard.
Unfortunately for you you are dealing with humans and they make mistakes, Im sure from my own experience with my car this will not be your last time that the car will be damaged or need repair as this is the nature of car ownership.

I myself was unfortunate to have someone run into the side of my coupe when it was only 265Ks old, it wasnt even a week of ownership, insurance would not write it off as it was not bad enough, I didnt see that car for another 3 months, when I got it back I knew in the back of my mind that it had been crashed, but from looking at it, it still looked like new, you could not tell where the repair was done, that car has moved on to new owner after my 2 years of ownership and I have another one now that has also now been repaired, it happens .
So dont beat yourself up until you see the finished product, like you said its a lease car, im sure there will be more, and im sure there will be dents, scratches, and repairs that you dont want, but thats just how it is if you intend to use it for what it was made for.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
This thread is starting to get as ridiculous as the prior one from the OP. The dealer at this point appears to be doing the right thing even though they are not required to do so. This appears to be a verbal promise that is not contractual. The OP also needs to remember that the spoiler needs to be re-installed before lease-return as the car was sold/leased with the spoiler.

That said, I quite frankly don't understand all this whining about some stupid trunk. The trunk is easy to paint and the letters are easy to install. This whole thing is literally not worth discussing...
The following 7 users liked this post by Wolfman:
aypues (11-10-2019), coolcamden (11-10-2019), emilner (11-12-2019), hyperion667 (11-11-2019), MBNUT1 (11-11-2019), places (11-11-2019), Streamliner (11-10-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 715 Likes on 463 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by Wolfman
This thread is starting to get as ridiculous as the prior one from the OP. The dealer at this point appears to be doing the right thing even though they are not required to do so. This appears to be a verbal promise that is not contractual. The OP also needs to remember that the spoiler needs to be re-installed before lease-return as the car was sold/leased with the spoiler.

That said, I quite frankly don't understand all this whining about some stupid trunk. The trunk is easy to paint and the letters are easy to install. This whole thing is literally not worth discussing...
EXACTLY!!!! He just doesn’t stop writing and writing for things that doesn’t worth that much of attention... while i try to read all other posts to learn something, I literally learnt nothing from reading this one...... now he’ll come back and express in 99 lines how stressed and upset he is with the dealer!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by S_W222:
coolcamden (11-11-2019), MBNUT1 (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 S550
I washed my S550 today, and having read this thread thought to myself, “Boy I’m sure glad I like this spoiler”
Old 11-11-2019, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 742 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by PNBLWZD
I washed my S550 today, and having read this thread thought to myself, “Boy I’m sure glad I like this spoiler”
It is a good thing otherwise you would have to get back on your OCD meds again.
The following users liked this post:
OnlyGerman (11-13-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,409 Likes on 2,852 Posts
2012 CLS63
Just...........whoh man........
Old 11-11-2019, 12:50 PM

S550
Yeah yeah yeah. Laugh it up, boys. But I’ll tell you who’s not laughing and understands me perfectly — and it’s not my wife, she thinks I’m freaking nuts lol — it’s the MB foreman. We spoke this morning and after I said, “If I have to, I guess I’ll live with it.” (It = the discoloration vs further complications) And he told me in no uncertain terms: “See, I have a problem with that. You should not have to live with ANYTHING less than perfect. I pride myself on ensuring that every job we do is done to the highest standards. I will keep you involved in terms of how I decide to handle it, but you can rest assured it will be perfect.”

Now, of course some of that is designed to make customers feel GOOD. But I am fine with that! He was genuine enough that even if it’s 30% true I’m happy for now!

All im looking for is a little reassurance from someone who knows his stuff. I don’t know about what you guys encounter in your respective lives, but around here minimal effort and employee detachment is the order of the day. I don’t run my company that way and I don’t believe anyone else should. Sometimes a customer just needs that rock solid confirmation that he is in the hands of experts and there’s nothing to worry about.

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I hold people — especially professionals — to a higher standard than most attain these days. The fact that my mind is temporarily eased speaks volumes to the effectiveness of good customer service.

Last edited by hundolots; 11-11-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:00 PM

S550
EXACTLY!!!! He just doesn’t stop writing and writing for things that doesn’t worth that much of attention... while i try to read all other posts to learn something, I literally learnt nothing from reading this one...... now he’ll come back and express in 99 lines how stressed and upset he is with the dealer!!!
If you don’t like it, don’t click on the thread, buddy. That’s the beauty of an internet forum; you’re not forced to read everything. Moreover, with the benefit of search algorithms I bet you could even find out exactly which threads I’ve begun, copy and paste those into your notepad, save it, print it, tape it to your wall —or forehead for all I care — and IGNORE MY CONTENT.

😬

Last edited by hundolots; 11-11-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,687 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Yeah yeah yeah. Laugh it up, boys. But I’ll tell you who’s not laughing and understands me perfectly — and it’s not my wife, she thinks I’m freaking nuts lol — it’s the MB foreman. We spoke this morning and after I said, “If I have to, I guess I’ll live with it.” (It = the discoloration vs further complications) And he told me in no uncertain terms: “See, I have a problem with that. You should not have to live with ANYTHING less than perfect. I pride myself on ensuring that every job we do is done to the highest standards. I will keep you involved in terms of how I decide to handle it, but you can rest assured it will be perfect.”

Now, of course some of that is designed to make customers feel GOOD. But I am fine with that! He was genuine enough that even if it’s 30% true I’m happy for now!

All im looking for is a little reassurance from someone who knows his stuff. I don’t know about what you guys encounter in your respective lives, but around here minimal effort and employee detachment is the order of the day. I don’t run my company that way and I don’t believe anyone else should. Sometimes a customer just needs that rock solid confirmation that he is in the hands of experts and there’s nothing to worry about.

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I hold people — especially professionals — to a higher standard than most attain these days. The fact that my mind is temporarily eased speaks volumes to the effectiveness of good customer service.
And this “good customer service” did not exist, prior to you taking us on this joy ride of hand wringing & stress? I believe that what this foreman told you, is what many folks here told you from the beginning of this thread. The lid will be painted, badged and it will be fine.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 382 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
If it makes you feel any better, my 2015 S550 did not have a wing when I purchased it and I wanted it as I think it looks good with the AMG sport package. I purchased a used wing that someone else had removed at a wrecking yard and took it to a body shop. For 200 cash they matched and installed the wing on my trunk and it looks completely factory. Color is anthracite, which is a super hard color to match as it shifts in color depending on lighting. Repainting black should be a no brainer. And the emblems do come in strip that does the alignment for the installer. All they have to do is level and place the emblem.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
This car buying experience has got to be one of the most ridiculous threads I can remember. Between the drama involved in securing the car (another thread) and this issue with the trunk/spoiler, I wonder if the OP will ever be happy? Until the dealer repaints the trunk and finishes the job the OP should just take a chill and wait to see the outcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
OnlyGerman (11-13-2019), Wimbush (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:35 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
And this “good customer service” did not exist, prior to you taking us on this joy ride of hand wringing & stress? I believe that what this foreman told you, is what many folks here told you from the beginning of this thread. The lid will be painted, badged and it will be fine.
No, the customer service has been pretty bad all along. Here’s the latest: After agreeing to do the spoiler damage repair, late this afternoon the sales manager called me and pretended he didn’t know what this was about!! He knew damn well. And fortunately I don’t erase emails, texts or phone calls. The whole thing ended with him talking to the GM and then calling me back and asking, “You didn’t contact MB Corporate, did you? Because I’m going to take care of this for you.”

Unreal.

Before ****ting himself about his GM and corporate, he kept saying, “this is a $2,000 job, I really shouldn’t have to pay it. You wanted the spoiler off.” ... and I just kept saying “well, I didn’t take it off personally. You authorized the removal and your service department messed it up. It’s not my problem.”

evidently, the GM saw how ridiculous this man’s case was, and that I did absolutely nothing wrong.

Great dealership, right?

at any rate, the foreman is a pleasure to work with so far.

BTW- in response to what you said: I appreciate everyone’s advice here but you must admit it’s more reassuring to hear it from the man who’s actually working on your car than strangers on a car forum.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

No, the customer service has been pretty bad all along. Here’s the latest: After agreeing to do the spoiler damage repair, late this afternoon the sales manager called me and pretended he didn’t know what this was about!! He knew damn well. And fortunately I don’t erase emails, texts or phone calls. The whole thing ended with him talking to the GM and then calling me back and asking, “You didn’t contact MB Corporate, did you? Because I’m going to take care of this for you.”

Unreal.

Before ****ting himself about his GM and corporate, he kept saying, “this is a $2,000 job, I really shouldn’t have to pay it. You wanted the spoiler off.” ... and I just kept saying “well, I didn’t take it off personally. You authorized the removal and your service department messed it up. It’s not my problem.”

evidently, the GM saw how ridiculous this man’s case was, and that I did absolutely nothing wrong.

Great dealership, right?

at any rate, the foreman is a pleasure to work with so far.

BTW- in response to what you said: I appreciate everyone’s advice here but you must admit it’s more reassuring to hear it from the man who’s actually working on your car than strangers on a car forum.
But you have to keep in mind that the dealer really owns no responsibility for fixing the trunk. They had no reason to cover it. Once they agreed to cover it of course, they are up to make it right but you made it sound like was their job to do so in the first place.
Customer requests post sale are ultimately the responsibility of the customer...
Old 11-11-2019, 08:24 PM

S550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
But you have to keep in mind that the dealer really owns no responsibility for fixing the trunk. They had no reason to cover it. Once they agreed to cover it of course, they are up to make it right but you made it sound like was their job to do so in the first place.
Customer requests post sale are ultimately the responsibility of the customer...
Of course. But this was actually decided pre-sale, and the spoiler was removed pre-sale with no signatures from me or anything at all. The SM (sales manager) was trying to get out of it by making it seem like it was post-sale. Like I said, I had my documentation etc, which settled the whole thing. The SM authorized the entire thing and the in-house service department did the job -- all before I picked up the car. The salesperson told me honesty about the damage the night I picked up the car, and even told me to wait a few more days so they could rectify the problem, but the SM made this person call me back to get me down there and close the deal. Understandable, given how long it took. But when I got there nobody was really forthright about the trunk damage and none of us could even see it in the dim showroom hangar from which I exited. It was also nighttime. If you can imagine this sort of clear coat damage, you know it only shows up in very specific types of light. Even holding a cell phone flashlight up to it yielded no concerns whatsoever. We all just shrugged and I said, "Well, if I see something tomorrow I will let you know." I tightened up that proviso with the salesperson in writing. Then the next morning when I saw the blue discoloration I sent photos and a very detailed email to the salesperson with instruction to forward it to the SM and any relevant parties. And we arranged for my car to go in, which it eventually did.

The troubling part about this is that the SM pretended not to know about the spoiler damage when he damn well did. It was documented, discussed and finalized. I think the $2,000 estimate took him by surprise, and I also think the GM told him he messed up. Because he was actually getting a little loud and unprofessional with me when he was saying what he said, and he said "Well, I have to take it up with the GM"... then 45 minutes later he called back with that sketchy question about whether or not I reported the situation to corporate. Then he "agreed" to cover it even though he'd already agreed weeks ago. I'm telling you... this place has really gone downhill over the years.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Of course. But this was actually decided pre-sale, and the spoiler was removed pre-sale with no signatures from me or anything at all. The SM (sales manager) was trying to get out of it by making it seem like it was post-sale. Like I said, I had my documentation etc, which settled the whole thing. The SM authorized the entire thing and the in-house service department did the job -- all before I picked up the car. The salesperson told me honesty about the damage the night I picked up the car, and even told me to wait a few more days so they could rectify the problem, but the SM made this person call me back to get me down there and close the deal. Understandable, given how long it took. But when I got there nobody was really forthright about the trunk damage and none of us could even see it in the dim showroom hangar from which I exited. It was also nighttime. If you can imagine this sort of clear coat damage, you know it only shows up in very specific types of light. Even holding a cell phone flashlight up to it yielded no concerns whatsoever. We all just shrugged and I said, "Well, if I see something tomorrow I will let you know." I tightened up that proviso with the salesperson in writing. Then the next morning when I saw the blue discoloration I sent photos and a very detailed email to the salesperson with instruction to forward it to the SM and any relevant parties. And we arranged for my car to go in, which it eventually did.

The troubling part about this is that the SM pretended not to know about the spoiler damage when he damn well did. It was documented, discussed and finalized. I think the $2,000 estimate took him by surprise, and I also think the GM told him he messed up. Because he was actually getting a little loud and unprofessional with me when he was saying what he said, and he said "Well, I have to take it up with the GM"... then 45 minutes later he called back with that sketchy question about whether or not I reported the situation to corporate. Then he "agreed" to cover it even though he'd already agreed weeks ago. I'm telling you... this place has really gone downhill over the years.
They appeared to have overpromised then. Still I hope you still have the spoiler. It is part of the car and must be returned as optioned on the VIN sheet. The only exception are the tires but only if replaced with MOE ones...
Old 11-11-2019, 08:49 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,409 Likes on 2,852 Posts
2012 CLS63
I did a google search for spoiler-less 222's and couldn't even find one I think I recall having seen some spoiler-less 221's and they didn't look awful.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:10 PM

S550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I did a google search for spoiler-less 222's and couldn't even find one I think I recall having seen some spoiler-less 221's and they didn't look awful.
Wtf are you talking about, man? If that's sarcasm it's really not well executed, even for an esoteric auto forum. Truth of the matter is: there are many S560s with spoilers out there, and many without. With the W221 there were very rarely S550s with spoilers. This whole MB S class spoiler fixation is a W222 thing.

Tighten up. You're all over the place, friend.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler is spoiling my life