S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

New W223 puzzle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 03:46 PM

Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
All Cars Lost To Hurricane Isaac (W124 E420 revived - added 88 Allante 14 S550, 17 S63
New W223 puzzle

as owner of the w222 model, I have been impressed and happy that in our S-Class cars, Mercedes has integrated the displays into the dash. All have been well designed and implemented.
when I see the many dozens of car models with a display sitting in front-of or more often on top of the dash, I always giggle that it looked like an after thought. With some of the higher end cars having that look
AND NOW Mercedes has taken what I feel is a step backwards and added afterthought aesthetics (displays) to what should be the best engineering in the Auto Kingdom
Did the engineers look at the competition and feel that the afterthought displays made MB appear behind the times vs the MB well integrated dash??

I will likely skip over the w223 and wait..... I did this for the W124.... never liked the vertically standing round headlights nor the body shape on the w210... i skipped it... eventually buying a w220.

the afterthought w223 displays are a puzzle
I wonder is the plan to have a few years of the nondescript dash and then hit us with a beautiful edge to edge display dash with the then current owners dumping for the more "mercedes-esque" interior appearance
is the company wagering on a "2-Fer" S-Class purchase

Last edited by kafklatsch; 02-23-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:47 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 S560 sedan, 2018 Volvo v90 Cross Country
HUH?
Old 02-24-2021, 06:25 AM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
My guess is it's all about manufacturing costs and the ease of modernizing the tech as the vehicles age. M-B, as well as other traditional lux brands, has often been dinged because the tech did not keep up with the market. Tech and user interface controls are designed years before a car actually hits the street and can be obsolete before the cars ever go for sale. But, if you build a car with essentially a touchscreen tablet as the user interface, the software can be changed at any point in the development and lifetime of the vehicle, often with over-the-air updates. Time will tell if these decisions resonate with buyers.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,484 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by kafklatsch
as owner of the w222 model, I have been impressed and happy that in our S-Class cars, Mercedes has integrated the displays into the dash. All have been well designed and implemented.
when I see the many dozens of car models with a display sitting in front-of or more often on top of the dash, I always giggle that it looked like an after thought. With some of the higher end cars having that look
AND NOW Mercedes has taken what I feel is a step backwards and added afterthought aesthetics (displays) to what should be the best engineering in the Auto Kingdom
Did the engineers look at the competition and feel that the afterthought displays made MB appear behind the times vs the MB well integrated dash??

I will likely skip over the w223 and wait..... I did this for the W124.... never liked the vertically standing round headlights nor the body shape on the w210... i skipped it... eventually buying a w220.

the afterthought w223 displays are a puzzle
I wonder is the plan to have a few years of the nondescript dash and then hit us with a beautiful edge to edge display dash with the then current owners dumping for the more "mercedes-esque" interior appearance
is the company wagering on a "2-Fer" S-Class purchase
Probably not. Expect the Tesla tablet for the duration of this generation (at least I will), probably a more attractive edge to edge in the next generation. Hopefully integrated and built-in. I still can't understand why these screens are "tacked" on and not fully integrated into the dash. Is it cost? Look cheap.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
The W223 looks like a polished Tesla turd. Bland and stodgy on the outside with wannabe Tesla tech on the inside. The outside looks bland enough to appeal to the guy in his 60's who's thinking "should I buy the new Lincoln Continental or should I splurge on the similarly styled S-class?" But then he'll get into the Lincoln and appreciate the more simplistic tech and styling and go for that more logical choice. The interior of the W223 is MB trying to appeal to the younger techno geeks. This car is a clash of Baby Boomer exterior and Millennial interior. Meanwhile, the older Gen X-er's like myself and many others here seem to have been left out of the conversation entirely. Given that the average age of an S-class buyer is well into their 50's, I think this is going to turn into a big failure and MB will need to quickly "rethink" what their typical halo luxury car buyer who is willing to spend $120k+ on a new car actually wants. I don't think this will be it.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveW68:
Jmcintire217 (02-24-2021), MichaelinATL (02-26-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 225 Posts
S600
You could not give me a car with the interior of a W223......
The following users liked this post:
OnlyGerman (03-03-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
I'll take one if it's being given away.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2020 S560 sedan, 2018 Volvo v90 Cross Country
Originally Posted by DaveW68
The W223 looks like a polished Tesla turd. Bland and stodgy on the outside with wannabe Tesla tech on the inside. The outside looks bland enough to appeal to the guy in his 60's who's thinking "should I buy the new Lincoln Continental or should I splurge on the similarly styled S-class?" But then he'll get into the Lincoln and appreciate the more simplistic tech and styling and go for that more logical choice. The interior of the W223 is MB trying to appeal to the younger techno geeks. This car is a clash of Baby Boomer exterior and Millennial interior. Meanwhile, the older Gen X-er's like myself and many others here seem to have been left out of the conversation entirely. Given that the average age of an S-class buyer is well into their 50's, I think this is going to turn into a big failure and MB will need to quickly "rethink" what their typical halo luxury car buyer who is willing to spend $120k+ on a new car actually wants. I don't think this will be it.
WELL SAID!
The following users liked this post:
MichaelinChicag (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:14 AM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I think this is going to turn into a big failure.
Nah, fuggedaboutit... It'll just grow on ya...
In 3-5 years we'll all be like "Best car I ever had!".
Mark my words...
The following 2 users liked this post by Kaloteck:
MBNUT1 (02-25-2021), OnlyGerman (03-03-2021)