Looking for 2015 S550 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
porsche
Looking for 2015 S550 4matic

Hi guys,
I am new to the forum…spent most of my time (years) over on Rennlist…
Over the past several days I have been reading several threads on this forum.
As with Rennlist, this forum has been very helpful. Thank you to the informed members.
Now the ask: I am in the market for a well sorted 2015 S550 4matic to use as an additional family vehicle; will not be a primary daily driver.
Any input, advice, known vehicles for sale from the members would be greatly appreciated. I live in Connecticut.
Thanks so much.
-D Cam
Old 06-21-2024, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by ok-cami
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum…spent most of my time (years) over on Rennlist…
Over the past several days I have been reading several threads on this forum.
As with Rennlist, this forum has been very helpful. Thank you to the informed members.
Now the ask: I am in the market for a well sorted 2015 S550 4matic to use as an additional family vehicle; will not be a primary daily driver.
Any input, advice, known vehicles for sale from the members would be greatly appreciated. I live in Connecticut.
Thanks so much.
-D Cam
I may be selling my 2014 Loaded S550 Rare Sea Blue Interior; Every Factory option is on the car. 52,000 on the ticker. Extremely Clean car. PM me if interested. Serious inquiry only. I live on LI. Full maintenance records, Oil Change every 3500 to 5000 miles. Extra set of Factory Rims and Tires. Diamond in the rough.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:28 PM

porsche
Many thanks for your reply and to the others who have PM’d me.
True learning experience.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:42 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
2017 S550 coupe, 2013 E550 coupe, 2008 Tahoe
Know what your getting into with the M278 motor. I have 2 of them, and love them, but they have to be maintained. I would go with a 2016/2017 in effort to get away from the silitec cylinder liners.

Last edited by wheatswake; 06-25-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 727 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by wheatswake
Know what your getting into with the M278 motor. I have 2 of them, and love them, but they have to be maintained. I would go with a 2016/2017 in effort to get away from the silitec cylinder liners.
So on the 2016 / 2017 one of the members here has challenged that iron liners were actually implemented for those years. I would very much like to find out that is true. Do you have any supporting evidence other than postings on this forum?

Old 06-25-2024, 06:45 PM

porsche
I appreciate this information as I continue to search for a vehicle.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:43 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
I would suggest in your search look at 15-17 as a group, 18' has advantages of 9 speed and facelift (Apple Car Play and Anddroid Auto) but maybe too much for you budget. For my 2019 search I was a MB rookie as this was my first search for a MB and I didn't know the depth of all the packages that were out there and what you got and didn't get based on each of the builds. I had a more narrow forcus as I was looking for a needle in the haystack looking for a 550e with plug-in hybrid since I had free chargers at work and nearly free at home. I found a few none local to me, one was in PHX that got bought before I could get there and the one I bought in LA (I am in SF Bay Area). It ends up a compromise of equipment miles and condition. The S550e I found was in white which was one of a few colors I was considering, color is tough with a used car as that can kill your interest even if everything else is great. The dealer that had the 550e I lost had a nearly identical one (less equipement and cheaper) in a blue that I just couldn't get excited about. The Pearl White didn't have the back seat goodies which I really didn't need and no 3-D Burmeister but it did have the better interior designo leather and AMG Sport package. It was 1.5k more but it was a CPO from a dealer vs. 3rd party.

Hopefully your not in a rush and also be willing to throw out the net 500-800 miles around where you live to find the right car.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:57 PM

Received 221 Likes on 141 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by badq45t
I would suggest in your search look at 15-17 as a group, 18' has advantages of 9 speed and facelift (Apple Car Play and Anddroid Auto) but maybe too much for you budget. For my 2019 search I was a MB rookie as this was my first search for a MB and I didn't know the depth of all the packages that were out there and what you got and didn't get based on each of the builds. I had a more narrow forcus as I was looking for a needle in the haystack looking for a 550e with plug-in hybrid since I had free chargers at work and nearly free at home. I found a few none local to me, one was in PHX that got bought before I could get there and the one I bought in LA (I am in SF Bay Area). It ends up a compromise of equipment miles and condition. The S550e I found was in white which was one of a few colors I was considering, color is tough with a used car as that can kill your interest even if everything else is great. The dealer that had the 550e I lost had a nearly identical one (less equipement and cheaper) in a blue that I just couldn't get excited about. The Pearl White didn't have the back seat goodies which I really didn't need and no 3-D Burmeister but it did have the better interior designo leather and AMG Sport package. It was 1.5k more but it was a CPO from a dealer vs. 3rd party.

Hopefully your not in a rush and also be willing to throw out the net 500-800 miles around where you live to find the right car.
FYI, I was new back to MB in 2022 when I bought my 2017 S550. I chose it because it had the 9 speed instead of 14-16 which came with the 7-speed. But fairly early on I realized I should have gone with the 18-20 model. We refer to it as a facelift, but it truly is much more than a facelift. If tech and safety features are important, then go with the 18-20, but if tech isn't super important then the older models will be just fine. Tech was my primary decision to get out of my 17 after only 1 year and buy a newer S-class. The only year I'd suggest avoiding is the 2014, because of the cylinder liner material.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 06-26-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:27 PM

porsche
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
FYI, I was new back to MB in 2022 when I bought my 2017 S550. I chose it because it had the 9 speed instead of 14-16 which came with the 7-speed. But fairly early on I realized I should have gone with the 18-20 model. We refer to it as a facelift, but it truly is much more than a facelift. If tech and safety features are important, then go with the 18-20, but if tech isn't super important then the older models will be just fine. Tech was my primary decision to get out of my 17 after only 1 year and buy a newer S-class. The only year I'd suggest avoiding is the 2014, because of the cylinder liner material.
Guys,
This has been very helpful. Thank you both.
Given my (first world) “needs” for this car, 2015-16 modes will suit me just fine.
I have found, what I believe to be, is a nice 2016 example from a MB dealer.
The mishap noted on carfax was minor and only cosmetic - not a big deal to me as this will be extra family car seeing only 3-5k miles/year.
The options/packages are plenty for me.
Appreciate any and thoughts -good or bad- from the forum.
Here’s link to the car:

https://www.mercedesbenzgb.com/inven...rader_listings

The following users liked this post:
carlosinseattle (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 01:56 AM

Guys,
This has been very helpful. Thank you both.
Given my (first world) “needs” for this car, 2015-16 modes will suit me just fine.
I have found, what I believe to be, is a nice 2016 example from a MB dealer.
The mishap noted on carfax was minor and only cosmetic - not a big deal to me as this will be extra family car seeing only 3-5k miles/year.
The options/packages are plenty for me.
Appreciate any and thoughts -good or bad- from the forum.
Here’s link to the car:

https://www.mercedesbenzgb.com/inven...rader_listings
Nice Car!!
Next steps should be:
Ask the salesperson to connect you with a service writer at dealership to share the VMI with you. It has far more details than a Carfax report. You can only get one at a MB dealer for MB cars. They are NOT obligatged to show it to you and will not "give" it to you, just go over it with you there in the dealership.
I'd also suggest a PPI from a reputable company or repair shop in your area. Spend the $300-$500 to really know what you'll be getting yourself into.
Take ot for the longest possible test drive, mainly time with the car. I'd personally take it to home and wash it, that way you see and feel every body panel for loosenesss and/or gaps. This will be your time to discover any driveability problems.
Find out the age of both the main battery and auxiliary battery. Proably 1 or both will need replacing soon, if they haven't already, this isn't somethng normally covered by a PPI.

Nice things about that car:
19" wheels look really nice AND provide much more comfort than the 20 in wheels, also are not as prone to bending or cracking.
Interior looks like it's in good condition.
Beautiful paint color, probably the most versatile color they offer, looks elegant and hides dirt well.
Let your insurance company know about all the advanced safety features, you should get a better rate once acknowledged. Their system probably does it automatically, just be sure.
The comfort box will come in handy, if it's still in the car. We have to pay for grocery bags here so I don't use em', just take the stuff from the grocery store in the shopping cart and place them in my comfort box for the trip home, then use a bag or box to get them into the house. Takes a couple more minutes, but nice exercise

Old 06-27-2024, 06:46 AM

porsche
Nice Car!!
Next steps should be:
Ask the salesperson to connect you with a service writer at dealership to share the VMI with you. It has far more details than a Carfax report. You can only get one at a MB dealer for MB cars. They are NOT obligatged to show it to you and will not "give" it to you, just go over it with you there in the dealership.
I'd also suggest a PPI from a reputable company or repair shop in your area. Spend the $300-$500 to really know what you'll be getting yourself into.
Take ot for the longest possible test drive, mainly time with the car. I'd personally take it to home and wash it, that way you see and feel every body panel for loosenesss and/or gaps. This will be your time to discover any driveability problems.
Find out the age of both the main battery and auxiliary battery. Proably 1 or both will need replacing soon, if they haven't already, this isn't somethng normally covered by a PPI.

Nice things about that car:
19" wheels look really nice AND provide much more comfort than the 20 in wheels, also are not as prone to bending or cracking.
Interior looks like it's in good condition.
Beautiful paint color, probably the most versatile color they offer, looks elegant and hides dirt well.
Let your insurance company know about all the advanced safety features, you should get a better rate once acknowledged. Their system probably does it automatically, just be sure.
The comfort box will come in handy, if it's still in the car. We have to pay for grocery bags here so I don't use em', just take the stuff from the grocery store in the shopping cart and place them in my comfort box for the trip home, then use a bag or box to get them into the house. Takes a couple more minutes, but nice exercise
Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughtful response.

I will inquire about the VMI. Great recommendation. Hopefully they share the information with me.

Regarding ppi: right or wrong, I was simply trusting the dealership to satisfactorily prepare and stand by the car as they are a reputable dealership. Plus the 1 owner car was purchased and serviced there; they know the car and I suspect that’s why they are comfortable offering it for sale versus wholesaling it. The car is over an hour from me and I simply don’t have the time or resources to arrange for an independent ppi. However, I have discussed with them the services they are performing to ready the car for sale. I will ask about the batteries.

Thanks again.
Cheers!
Old 06-27-2024, 01:11 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughtful response.

I will inquire about the VMI. Great recommendation. Hopefully they share the information with me.

Regarding ppi: right or wrong, I was simply trusting the dealership to satisfactorily prepare and stand by the car as they are a reputable dealership. Plus the 1 owner car was purchased and serviced there; they know the car and I suspect that’s why they are comfortable offering it for sale versus wholesaling it. The car is over an hour from me and I simply don’t have the time or resources to arrange for an independent ppi. However, I have discussed with them the services they are performing to ready the car for sale. I will ask about the batteries.

Thanks again.
Cheers!
I like to sound positive as often as I can. I'm going to sound negative now, and I apologize in advance.
1. NEVER EVER trust a dealership!! I bought a CPO in 2022 and they didn't even do the basic things to qualify the car for CPO status. AND this car had been 100% owned by the owner of the dealership. Car spent 120 of firts 160 days in shop; I had a loaner vehicle during the whole time, but it was NOT the car I bought. I got rid of that car before the 1 year CPO warranty expired. Point being NEVER trust a dealership.
2. If you don't have the resources for a PPI you DEFINITELY don't have the resources for owning an S-Class. Maybe you think they cost a few thousand dollars, but they're $500 at the most, normally $200-$300. I wouldn't even consider buying one of these without a PPI. There are some good companies that do them, some are local and some are nationwide. I'll share mine with you for reference. Just don't choose Lemon Squad; they'll probably let you know upfront that they can't do the type needed for a car like this, but in case they don't, take it from me, don't choose Lemon Squad.

Again, I'm really sorry to sound so negative. If you were my brother I'd say the same thing.

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 06-27-2024 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added reference to PPI
The following 3 users liked this post by carlosinseattle:
C Swenson (06-27-2024), Nice Ride (06-29-2024), tx170754 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 10:18 PM

porsche
I like to sound positive as often as I can. I'm going to sound negative now, and I apologize in advance.
1. NEVER EVER trust a dealership!! I bought a CPO in 2022 and they didn't even do the basic things to qualify the car for CPO status. AND this car had been 100% owned by the owner of the dealership. Car spent 120 of firts 160 days in shop; I had a loaner vehicle during the whole time, but it was NOT the car I bought. I got rid of that car before the 1 year CPO warranty expired. Point being NEVER trust a dealership.
2. If you don't have the resources for a PPI you DEFINITELY don't have the resources for owning an S-Class. Maybe you think they cost a few thousand dollars, but they're $500 at the most, normally $200-$300. I wouldn't even consider buying one of these without a PPI. There are some good companies that do them, some are local and some are nationwide. I'll share mine with you for reference. Just don't choose Lemon Squad; they'll probably let you know upfront that they can't do the type needed for a car like this, but in case they don't, take it from me, don't choose Lemon Squad.

Again, I'm really sorry to sound so negative. If you were my brother I'd say the same thing.

Thank you for your passion. I will take your advice and recommendations seriously. Kindly PM me the company that you recommend for ppi.

I’m sorry that your experience with your dealership was so poor in 2022. However, having purchased at least 20 high end cars through dealerships in my life (I’m 60), I, on the other hand, thankfully, have only had positive experiences with all of the them - BMW, Audi, Porsche, Land Rover.
Anyway…I get it…get a ppi. Perhaps my saying resources was the wrong word.
The following users liked this post:
carlosinseattle (06-29-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:45 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts
2016 S550e, 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4, 1984 300ZX
The dealer and especially the sales lady at Callabasas Mercedes was horrible and there were a few things wrong with my car, in particular the brakes should have been replaced, my electric port door was broken and a few other small things. If/when (long time from now) i buy a new car (not sure I will buy W233 S-Class cannot get past that new iPad look) I would do inspection for sure.