S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Car wash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 03:00 PM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 - S580 and 2019 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet
Car wash

Does anyone have any advice for taking the car to a automatic car wash. I'm concerned when I get out of the car and it starts moving, I get locked out. Do I deactivate the key and hold it? or leave it in the car? What does everyone do about car washes?
Old 03-16-2022, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,574 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
You should always leave the key in it. Just like any other car
Old 03-16-2022, 06:47 PM

Yeah, but doesn't the car auto lock when it starts moving forward? If the key is in the car and it locks, there is no way to open the door since the handles retract. Or, are you suggesting it won't lock when the key is inside (they way my 2020 S560 worked)?
Old 03-16-2022, 07:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,931 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Sorry if I am confused but from my understanding this is a type of automatic car wash that you aren't allowed to be in the vehicle while it does its thing? The engine also has to be on? As far as I heard personally, if it is the guided ones (and the ones you actually sit in the vehicle), you put your vehicle in neutral and therefore I don't believe it should lock unless you are in drive but if you are using the guided tracks then you shouldn't be in drive anyways, you also shouldn't be turning your steering wheel while it is on the tracks as it can damage the rim and with rear wheel steering it would cause damage to that system as well.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by JSL555
Yeah, but doesn't the car auto lock when it starts moving forward? If the key is in the car and it locks, there is no way to open the door since the handles retract. Or, are you suggesting it won't lock when the key is inside (they way my 2020 S560 worked)?
It should work exactly like your 2020 S560. When the engine is running, its in neutral and it starts to move, the doors wont lock.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,579 Likes on 977 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I don't think it should lock with the key inside your car, at least not in neutral. You can also disable the auto lock functions in the settings if worried. The handles may retract, however a simple swipe/push should rectify that and extend them again. If the key is in the car, and the car dies, even still I believe the handles are supposed to retract for emergencies so it can be unlocked with a physical key.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:43 PM

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Related thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ck-list-3.html
Old 03-17-2022, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,442 Likes on 953 Posts
No more MB:(
Take the key and put it in your pocket. Not rocket science.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by places
Take the key and put it in your pocket. Not rocket science.
Your reply, and those of others, seems to indicate this is no big deal, just treat like my previous S Class. However, I’m still confused about how the door handle will retract if the car is not locked and how to prevent other stuff from happening when the car starts moving on the belt (with me not in the vehicle). This is what the operator’s manual says:

“To avoid damage to your vehicle when using a car wash, ensure the following beforehand:
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC is deactivated.
- The HOLD function is switched off.
- The surround view camera or the rear view camera is switched off.
- The vehicle is locked and the door handles retracted.
- The side windows and sliding sunroof are completely closed.
- The blower for the ventilation and heating is switched off.
- The windshield wiper switch is in position
- The SmartKey is at a minimum distance of 20 ft (6 m) away from the vehicle. Otherwise, the trunk lid or a door could open unintentionally.
- Neutral i is engaged.
- The vehicle is locked from inside.”

This seems like a lot of work to wash the car. AND, HOW can you lock the vehicle from the inside if the car is going through a wash without the driver inside?

I would really appreciate some real life experiences from someone with a 2021 or 22 S Class?

Old 03-20-2022, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Your reply, and those of others, seems to indicate this is no big deal, just treat like my previous S Class. However, I’m still confused about how the door handle will retract if the car is not locked and how to prevent other stuff from happening when the car starts moving on the belt (with me not in the vehicle). This is what the operator’s manual says:

“To avoid damage to your vehicle when using a car wash, ensure the following beforehand:
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC is deactivated.
- The HOLD function is switched off.
- The surround view camera or the rear view camera is switched off.
- The vehicle is locked and the door handles retracted.
- The side windows and sliding sunroof are completely closed.
- The blower for the ventilation and heating is switched off.
- The windshield wiper switch is in position
- The SmartKey is at a minimum distance of 20 ft (6 m) away from the vehicle. Otherwise, the trunk lid or a door could open unintentionally.
- Neutral i is engaged.
- The vehicle is locked from inside.”

This seems like a lot of work to wash the car. AND, HOW can you lock the vehicle from the inside if the car is going through a wash without the driver inside?

I would really appreciate some real life experiences from someone with a 2021 or 22 S Class?
Yeah, I wouldn't do any of that. Just put it through the carwash like any other car. There are owners here who have done it that posted in the other thread and had no issues.
Old 03-20-2022, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SW20S
Yeah, I wouldn't do any of that. Just put it through the carwash like any other car. There are owners here who have done it that posted in the other thread and had no issues.
So, do you mean wash the car with the door handles extended?
Old 03-20-2022, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
So, do you mean wash the car with the door handles extended?
They may extend, but that shouldn't impact the wash. Think about it this way, when the door handles extend its like any other car with always extended door handles.

With my W222 the front and rear cameras deploy in the carwash and nothing is ever an issue.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:20 PM

Thanks that makes sense. But, I would love to hear from others who have a W223 and have been through a wash. (I went to pick up something at the store the other day, left the engine running for a few minutes, came back and the handles had retracted, engine running and I panicked for a second trying to figure out how to open the door. Wasn’t a problem, as I could just run my finger over the handle. But there are so many warnings in the manual that I worry I’ll get locked out. LOL)
Old 03-20-2022, 03:42 PM

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 S580 , 2018 S450
Smile

Thanks that makes sense. But, I would love to hear from others who have a W223 and have been through a wash. (I went to pick up something at the store the other day, left the engine running for a few minutes, came back and the handles had retracted, engine running and I panicked for a second trying to figure out how to open the door. Wasn’t a problem, as I could just run my finger over the handle. But there are so many warnings in the manual that I worry I’ll get locked out. LOL)
I went to the dealership just last week to ask the same question about my 2022 S580. I was told leave the key inside, put it in neutral and don't worry about the door handles. They said they have sent 2021 and 2022 cars through their car wash hundreds of times and this is what they do and have had no problem. I have to confess, I haven't used the car wash since I received my car (what sane person would take their new S580 out in a rain storm: just kidding). This is from a large dealership and they asked all the right departments to make sure I got the correct information.

Last edited by retiredandhappy; 03-20-2022 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JSL555 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 09:39 PM

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Maybe one can think through the list, item by item, to figure out why MB puts them there. I reckon, most (if not all) are just safety precautions to avoid possible (though remotely) damages.
Say, the windshield wiper position is in ''0''. If not, the water would trigger the wiper to function during washing. This is obviously a good chance of having the wiper entangling the brushes.
Say, the blower for the ventilation is switched off. I imagine this is to prevent/minimize sucking in those foam soap mist into the ventilation duct.
Say, rear/surround view camera be switched off. This does not mean they are flimsy enough to get water damaged every single time. But, this possibly gives extra protection? Germans like to err on the side of ultra safety?
And, maybe just putting such a list in the manual can save a lot of repair money (warranty or not) even when only a very very small percentage of MBs get a car wash related damage.