S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Rear axle steering - 4.5 degree

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 12:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 - S580 and 2019 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet
Rear axle steering - 4.5 degree

Rear axle steering and eABC are among the two best options I purchased on my 2020 S580 car. It makes a huge difference compared to my 2020 S560. The rear wheel steering allows for nice, tight turning on corners and parking (not too noticeable at speed).

Last week I got a message that “The maximum steering angle of the rear axle steering is restricted. Turning radius increased”. The car had been parked overnight and there were no visible restrictions. By the time I got it to the dealer a few days later, the problem had resolved itself. Dealer is not aware of this as an issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

One other issue: Occasionally when I put the car in gear, F or R, the emergency brake sticks for a split second with a loud sound as it releases. Dealer says it’s normal.

Has anyone experience this issue?
Old 06-03-2022, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Didn't the workshop read fault codes after the rear axle steering issue? If there is a message for the driver, the car would certainly have a fault code saved.

Had the car been washed or driven in rain when the emergency brake gave the loud sound? The brake pads may have been glued by water/rust to the brake disk.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Didn't the workshop read fault codes after the rear axle steering issue? If there is a message for the driver, the car would certainly have a fault code saved.

Had the car been washed or driven in rain when the emergency brake gave the loud sound? The brake pads may have been glued by water/rust to the brake disk.

On the first issue, they claim there was no code. But, took photos of the screen both during the fault and without the fault, now.

On the second issue, yes, more noticeable after raining, but does happen from time to time. Dealer suggested it is pretty “normal”.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:21 PM

fault and after fault photos attached

Old 06-04-2022, 08:54 AM

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Got a similar message once when the vehicle was going thru the auto car wash's track/ guide rails. Haven' seen it since. Were you up against a curb?
Old 06-04-2022, 09:12 AM

No, car was just parked over night and I started the car.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:35 AM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
997.2TTS
hi...can i suggest this test, with engine on...and have someone standing outside the car to observe the rear wheels:

leave it in park, then try to turn steering wheel fully in either direction.
leave it in neutral, then try to turn steering wheel fully in either direction.

now try to do the same, but with car in drive, with foot on brake.
do the same, but in reverse, with foot on brake.

if i'm not mistaken, i believe the rear wheels will only engage in steering when in drive or reverse, but not in park or neutral.
and when u try to rotate the steering wheel all the way into either direction in either park or neutral, the message you posted in the photo is what appears.

run this test and let us know what you experience.
good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:22 PM

I will try it, thank you.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:09 PM

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn
hi...can i suggest this test, with engine on...and have someone standing outside the car to observe the rear wheels:

if i'm not mistaken, i believe the rear wheels will only engage in steering when in drive or reverse, but not in park or neutral.
and when u try to rotate the steering wheel all the way into either direction in either park or neutral, the message you posted in the photo is what appears.

good luck!
You are correct, the rear wheels wont move unless in R or D. I tried to see how it worked when they delivered my car the other day and the wheels dont go anywhere unless in R or D
Old 01-03-2023, 08:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
s580
Steering Restricted

Originally Posted by JSL555
Rear axle steering and eABC are among the two best options I purchased on my 2020 S580 car. It makes a huge difference compared to my 2020 S560. The rear wheel steering allows for nice, tight turning on corners and parking (not too noticeable at speed).

Last week I got a message that “The maximum steering angle of the rear axle steering is restricted. Turning radius increased”. The car had been parked overnight and there were no visible restrictions. By the time I got it to the dealer a few days later, the problem had resolved itself. Dealer is not aware of this as an issue.

One other issue: Occasionally when I put the car in gear, F or R, the emergency brake sticks for a split second with a loud sound as it releases. Dealer says it’s normal.

I am seeing the same on my 21 S580 with the 10 degree steering. Also see starter battery drain frequently and have more software issues than I can list. Mirrors randomly go up, won’t come down, window won’t roll up/stay up. Overall least reliable of the 8 s classes I have had.
The following 3 users liked this post by denverdefense:
aypues (01-06-2023), declo2000 (01-05-2023), Streamliner (01-04-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 08:28 PM

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
'23 S580 Manufaktur and '21 GLE 53 Coupe (Past MBZ: 2020 GT63, S65, S63, E55, CL65, S550, C32)

I was glad to hear that you liked the E-ABC. I ordered my 580 with it which should arrive in a week. There are some that posted they thought the car drove worse with EABC. Some felt that it made bumps more perceivable which would be the total opposite why you would spec it!!
Old 01-06-2023, 07:33 AM
TSA

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
S580 MAYBACH Z223
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn

good luck!
as i know , the rear axle only works in drive and reverse. it does not work in park and neutral.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:35 AM
TSA

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
S580 MAYBACH Z223

yea theyre right , its pretty normal , the emergency brake makes a weird sound. all of the mercedes and other vehicles got this problem.