Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 510 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Streamliner
​​​​
The one thing that keeps bothering me about Genesis, is their lack of stand alone dealerships. They are just starting to build some and when they do, I just may go that way.
Genesis offers service valet:
With Service Valet, you can schedule service online or via the mobile app and have your Genesis vehicle picked up wherever and whenever you choose.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,773 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by wildta
With Service Valet, you can schedule service online or via the mobile app and have your Genesis vehicle picked up wherever and whenever you choose.
From people I know with Genesis vehicles, this is wildly hit or miss.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,101 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
It’s not that big of a deal for Genesis to offer “valet” service for regularly scheduled service. But will they offer it for other service needs? Something tells me the answer is “no.” When the Genesis brand first appeared, the valet service not only picked up your G90, but they brought you another G90 to drive. I’ll bet that perk is long gone and G90 owners will be lucky to get a reasonably new G80 loaner. I’ve also heard that to get the valet service, one must make an appointment and lead time can be up to a month. The valet thing “looks” good on their website, but in reality, I’m betting it’s not anything like we would hope it might be. Still, the G90 is compelling and WHEN the dealer network really gets established, I believe Genesis will be a player in the luxury segment.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
It’s not that big of a deal for Genesis to offer “valet” service for regularly scheduled service. But will they offer it for other service needs? Something tells me the answer is “no.” When the Genesis brand first appeared, the valet service not only picked up your G90, but they brought you another G90 to drive. I’ll bet that perk is long gone and G90 owners will be lucky to get a reasonably new G80 loaner. I’ve also heard that to get the valet service, one must make an appointment and lead time can be up to a month. The valet thing “looks” good on their website, but in reality, I’m betting it’s not anything like we would hope it might be. Still, the G90 is compelling and WHEN the dealer network really gets established, I believe Genesis will be a player in the luxury segment.
You're right. I suppose everything is dependent on your local dealer in the end as well. I have 4 MB dealers within a 45min drive of me and unfortunately the closest one is the worst, appointments are a month out and they explicitly tell you they won't have a loaner for you even if it's an early AM appt.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,618 Likes on 2,226 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by SW20S
From people I know with Genesis vehicles, this is wildly hit or miss.
Hmmm sounds awfully like bait and switch if they don't do what they advertise.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm sounds awfully like bait and switch if they don't do what they advertise.
They do it, its just difficult and you have to schedule so far out the people I know just take their cars in themselves.

I have had dealers offer to pick up and drop my cars off for years, dating back to Lexus in 1998. Its a PITA, I have to sit around and wait on them, twice...I would much rather just go to the dealer and drop it off and go back and pick it up when its convenient for me.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
They do it, its just difficult and you have to schedule so far out the people I know just take their cars in themselves.

I have had dealers offer to pick up and drop my cars off for years, dating back to Lexus in 1998. Its a PITA, I have to sit around and wait on them, twice...I would much rather just go to the dealer and drop it off and go back and pick it up when its convenient for me.
Me too. The big deal is getting a decent loaner. If they can commit to a good loaner, I’m fine bringing the car in.
Ormond2004 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

That sounds like a tactic to pressure you to give up on your own so you can't blame them, sigh and so they don't have to take responsibility.

Hmmm, yes I do hear you, and understand your frustration in that case, it sounds like missing a train/or a bus and have to wait for the next one to come, and what makes it worse is a work/client meeting is coming up that sort of thing.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:50 PM

Received 166 Likes on 121 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
You're right. I suppose everything is dependent on your local dealer in the end as well. I have 4 MB dealers within a 45min drive of me and unfortunately the closest one is the worst, appointments are a month out and they explicitly tell you they won't have a loaner for you even if it's an early AM appt.
Sounds exactly like what I deal with here in San Diego. We have 4 dealers within 45 minutes. I’ve been to three of them religiously but not anymore (yet to experience the furthest from me but they also have a one month lead time on servicing last I checked). I know that at least one (if not two) is still charging over MSRP on virtually every car. None of them ever have any loaners and all have a month lead time to get any sort of servicing done. One time a dealer left my underbody tray off the car when I was getting a basic service done! I stopped dealing with our local dealers and have started going to Laguna Niguel, about 70 miles away. I know OP has had bad experiences there recently, but compared to any of my 4 local dealers they treat me way better.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by AzurSL
Sounds exactly like what I deal with here in San Diego. We have 4 dealers within 45 minutes. I’ve been to three of them religiously but not anymore (yet to experience the furthest from me but they also have a one month lead time on servicing last I checked). I know that at least one (if not two) is still charging over MSRP on virtually every car. None of them ever have any loaners and all have a month lead time to get any sort of servicing done. One time a dealer left my underbody tray off the car when I was getting a basic service done! I stopped dealing with our local dealers and have started going to Laguna Niguel, about 70 miles away. I know OP has had bad experiences there recently, but compared to any of my 4 local dealers they treat me way better.
Any chance a specific dealership group owns all your local ones?
Old 06-01-2023, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AND, my S580–the subject of this thread—came from MB El Cajon!
Old 06-01-2023, 09:56 PM

Any chance a specific dealership group owns all your local ones?
Nope most of them are separate. One of them is owned by Penske, another one is partnered with one up a couple hours north, one is owned by the Hoehn family and the last I’m not quite sure.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:59 PM

That’s the one dealer I have yet to experience. Went to schedule a service a few months ago and they had a one month waitlist, same with Carlsbad and SD. I stopped getting my car serviced in Escondido as they were the ones who forgot about my under body tray. That was years ago but enough to stop me from going back. I’ve only had bad experiences down here. Oh the stories I could tell…
Old 06-01-2023, 10:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Nope most of them are separate. One of them is owned by Penske, another one is partnered with one up a couple hours north, one is owned by the Hoehn family and the last I’m not quite sure.
There is also AutoNation which is huge, not sure if the experience is better? worse?
Old 06-01-2023, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fletcher Jones Motor Cars Mercedes-Benz in Newport Beach is the largest dealer in the USA. I truly believe that their service department is the best in Southern California. They have an amazing fleet of loaners and getting an appointment is never more than a week off. That said, I have never bought or leased there. I hope to someday, as I believe in supporting a business that takes care of me. First though, they need to be able to sell me a car I actually want, which is currently, nothing offered new by MB.
Ormond2004 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 10:12 PM

Fletcher Jones Motor Cars Mercedes-Benz in Newport Beach is the largest dealer in the USA. I truly believe that their service department is the best in Southern California. They have an amazing fleet of loaners and getting an appointment is never more than a week off. That said, I have never bought or leased there. I hope to someday, as I believe in supporting a business that takes care of me. First though, they need to be able to sell me a car I actually want, which is currently, nothing offered new by MB.
I have been to FJ before just to browse and I have to say they are amazing. The staff is excellent and the dealership is gorgeous. I’ve started “boycotting” my local dealers, so when it comes time for my next car, which will be soon, FJ and Laguna Niguel are my top picks.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

They all have their weaknesses, I am guessing us forum members' first pick will be a dealership that NEVER price gouged or taken advantage of the market situation and fail to look at the long term gain or keeping customers instead of only caring about short term gain profit?
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...h-todayoo.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...lk-awayoo.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/82793...-25-50k-7.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ealership.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...ml#post8456643
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/82793...ml#post8493867
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...her-jones.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...e-gouging.html
Old 06-02-2023, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Me too. The big deal is getting a decent loaner. If they can commit to a good loaner, I’m fine bringing the car in.
I just don't want to do that at a Hyundai dealer lol

That sounds like a tactic to pressure you to give up on your own so you can't blame them, sigh and so they don't have to take responsibility.

Hmmm, yes I do hear you, and understand your frustration in that case, it sounds like missing a train/or a bus and have to wait for the next one to come, and what makes it worse is a work/client meeting is coming up that sort of thing.
I don't think there is any nefarious intent, its just the nature of the service. They need an available porter, that porter needs to drive to me, they need to FIND me, I need to find them, we need to link up, then that has to happen again for them to return the car. That process is full of opportunities for delays.

The other side of it is, I don't sit and work in an office all day, nor do most people who drive really expensive cars. I start my day at home, then I go into one office, then I meet people for lunch, then I go see some clients, then I go to another office, then I go out for drinks or dinner, and then I go home. The timing of that is completely different each day. There are lots of opportunities for me to swing by a dealer and drop the car off and get a loaner and to return the loaner and get my car. I can incorporate that into my running around much easier than I can sit around and wait for someone to bring me the car. Its just not compatible with my day.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

I just don't want to do that at a Hyundai dealer lol

I don't think there is any nefarious intent, its just the nature of the service. They need an available porter, that porter needs to drive to me, they need to FIND me, I need to find them, we need to link up, then that has to happen again for them to return the car. That process is full of opportunities for delays.

The other side of it is, I don't sit and work in an office all day, nor do most people who drive really expensive cars. I start my day at home, then I go into one office, then I meet people for lunch, then I go see some clients, then I go to another office, then I go out for drinks or dinner, and then I go home. The timing of that is completely different each day. There are lots of opportunities for me to swing by a dealer and drop the car off and get a loaner and to return the loaner and get my car. I can incorporate that into my running around much easier than I can sit around and wait for someone to bring me the car. Its just not compatible with my day.
I see, in your case loaner makes much more sense for you. I think this concierge service Genesis offered is more for those who work at home.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
The A and B services at El Cajon are pretty high compared to its neighbors--I guess they have to pay for their newly designed showroom and service center somehow. Spend the time to get quotes of the services at dealers within an hour's drive, most service advisors will price match or get close to it. Also, check their webpage for offers to price match as well. I feel it's essential to play the competition against each other, even after we buy our cars, as that's the only way for us to get better service, and hopefully at a lower cost too. Also, writing negative reviews on Yelp, Google Maps, etc. can help and saying something along the lines of "I'll gladly change my review if the service matches the price I paid for my vehicle."

I'd go to FJ and Laguna Niguel but it's further than I would want to drive just for a service.

One way we can push MBUSA to do better is by submitting complaints to the NHTSA: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safet...clsrc=ds#index. It'd be nice if we can get all the MBWorld members to submit their issues to the NHTSA after posting and discussing them here.

Last edited by wildta; 06-02-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 03:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430
Stream, did you ever get your car back? I might have missed it.
Did they agree to the buyback? Wasn’t it in service for over a month for just this one problem?
My California Closets girl has a 2022 S500 (who knew they did that well?!) and the check engine light won’t go off so they are buying hers back. I told her your story…she’s going Range Rover next.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by aypues
My California Closets girl has a 2022 S500 (who knew they did that well?!)
They make TONS of money...so much profit in those closet systems its shocking.
aypues (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Funny we were just over a friend of my wife's new condo and they were showing us their new California Closets.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Funny we were just over a friend of my wife's new condo and they were showing us their new California Closets.
That they paid $25,000 for lol
MBNUT1 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 04:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by aypues
Stream, did you ever get your car back? I might have missed it.
Did they agree to the buyback? Wasn’t it in service for over a month for just this one problem?
My California Closets girl has a 2022 S500 (who knew they did that well?!) and the check engine light won’t go off so they are buying hers back. I told her your story…she’s going Range Rover next.
Might be another headache though...
aypues (06-19-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My S580 STRANDED ME!