S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

I drove a new BMW I7 and…….

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2024, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by S_W222
Obviously he is not the only one. Forums like these are great to spread out the message and enlighten future potential buyers. W223 is definitely on my must-avoid list unless the facelift brings the S-class back to the competition. I still think I’ll try the facelift regardless. Right now there I see no german large luxury sedan that makes sense other than the 7 series.
My new car is currently off the shore of Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, headed for the VPC in Port Hueneme. Over the months I have been waiting for it, I have come to know that these new 7’s have their share of ridiculous issues as well. With the EV vehicle market softening over the past few months, I plan on grinding the dealer a bit more. I may even just walk away. At the moment, I am truly disgusted and disappointed with the new luxury vehicle offerings. I’ll probably take delivery, as I don't know what else to do.
Old 08-02-2024, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,742 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Obviously he is not the only one. Forums like these are great to spread out the message and enlighten future potential buyers. W223 is definitely on my must-avoid list unless the facelift brings the S-class back to the competition. I still think I’ll try the facelift regardless. Right now there I see no german large luxury sedan that makes sense other than the 7 series.
Two weeks ago you were saying you would choose the 223 over the 7 Series and that you would never buy a 7 Series lol
Old 08-02-2024, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Keeping ya honest:

No doubt, in my view, it is one if not the worst and ugliest 7-series that BMW has ever made. I am okay with the interior front curved screen, but the exterior design, rear seats are just sooo laughable & ugly. I've sat in one, did not drive it for long except for a quick spin around the dealer parking lot.
Old 08-02-2024, 10:26 PM

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
AMG
Hey thanks for enlightening us dim folks.
Old 08-02-2024, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 696 Posts
23 S580 Executive
I think you're going to be ok Stream, you've got some tech there that you'd rather live without, but overall, things are going to work. The software gremlins are just that, you will see these fixed over time, and those fixes download to the car without you having to do a thing. Most of the goods, will just work. You will not have attack doors. You will not have to follow a rigid set of rules to keep the handles functioning properly. No baffling loss of every function in the car if your tires get 1 psi below the set point.

On pricing... Yeah, you should have something on the table there, can't see any reason why you shouldn't go after it.

Old 08-02-2024, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Just have to accept that nothing is perfect
Old 08-02-2024, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 637 Likes on 420 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by SW20S
Two weeks ago you were saying you would choose the 223 over the 7 Series and that you would never buy a 7 Series lol
That’s what I said and that’s still what I’d do. I still said above that I’ll try the W223 regardless, but likely a facelift if any. It also doesn’t change the fact that I don’t go by logic when I buy cars (point proven when I switched from S-class class to Tesla Model S). Lease rate or MSRP can drive my decisions sometimes; but most of the time I drive and own cars cause I love doing so, including ones that don’t make sense to buy. I still think the 7 series is an ugly car, but the i7 still makes more sense than the W223 as a luxury sedan to own. Keeping in mind that this has nothing to do with what I personally would buy. As of today, neither of them is enticing enough for me to pull the trigger tomorrow.
Old 08-02-2024, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
You literally said the W223 was still the better overall package, and you said the range of the i7 made it a poor purchase.
Old 08-02-2024, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
You literally said the W223 was still the better overall package, and you said the range of the i7 made it a poor purchase.
Okay, am not sure what you want lol… Sure, yeah i7 range is a joke for (my) needs, no doubts, and I still see it as an ugly sedan cosmetically.
Old 08-02-2024, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Streamliner
My new car is currently off the shore of Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, headed for the VPC in Port Hueneme. Over the months I have been waiting for it, I have come to know that these new 7’s have their share of ridiculous issues as well. With the EV vehicle market softening over the past few months, I plan on grinding the dealer a bit more. I may even just walk away. At the moment, I am truly disgusted and disappointed with the new luxury vehicle offerings. I’ll probably take delivery, as I don't know what else to do.
It won’t hurt to negotiate, though my experience with most BMW dealers isn’t that positive on the negotiations side without a trade-in. Your ownership experience isn’t going to be service-free (though I hope it’ll will be), but with an EV anyway, at least it should be mostly glitches than anything major. Not great times for luxury cars fans as you said,….That’s why I think this is a good time to try new things; but you’ve already chosen the i7 route . Am not too worried about the luxury car offerings nowadays; if the W223 facelift isn’t much different, one can enjoy the next 3-4 years trying new fun cars like Teslas, Lucids, i5, Taycan, Mecan 4, etc. Not luxury cars, but at least they don’t fall short on what they intend/claim to offer. If you must get a luxury car, your options are very limited and aren’t as good as it used to be in the past…
Old 08-02-2024, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Okay, am not sure what you want lol… Sure, yeah i7 range is a joke for (my) needs, no doubts, and I still see it as an ugly sedan cosmetically.
Just be consistent
Old 08-02-2024, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just be consistent
I still can’t figure out what you’re arguing about. Anyway I could care less if it bothers you when things seem confusing to you . I’ve been consistent; if you saw it otherwise, so be it; let’s keep it that way.
The following users liked this post:
MBS63AMG (Yesterday)
Old 08-02-2024, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
I still can’t figure out what you’re arguing about. Anyway I could care less if it bothers you when things seem confusing to you . I’ve been consistent; if you saw it otherwise, so be it; let’s keep it that way.
You’ve literally posted two entirely different opinions…in one thread the 7 is terrible and the worst car they have ever made, in another thread the W223 is still the best choice in the segment overall and now the 7 is the only car worth owning. I mean…huh?!

Reality is both of these cars are way better than you and others give them credit for being. W223 clearly has had a lot of issues with its rollout but things seem to be doing much better, and the 7 is a great product that is bold and unique and has been a big success for BMW. I’m a month in with the 223 and it’s fabulous, if Stream will allow for a glitch here and there without freaking out I’m sure he will be very happy with his i7 too. All this hand wringing is just silly.

Last edited by SW20S; Yesterday at 12:02 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You’ve literally posted two entirely different opinions…in one thread the 7 is terrible and the worst car they have ever made, in another thread the W223 is still the best choice in the segment overall and now the 7 is the only car worth owning. I mean…huh?!
I’ll repeat, I couldn’t care less if it bothered you to e confused about my post.
But to clarify, I’ve always said that the i7 range makes it a poor purchase for my needs, and yes it’s the ugliest 7 they made. That had nothing to do with my choice of considering it down the road or not (I keep my cars 12 months on average and I run through many silly car choices when I can justify the move to have fun with the car regardless), but even above I still said I’ll likely pick the facelift W223 regardless. Neither of them are “the” right luxury car nowadays. The i7 can make “more” sense to the average person cause all of what’s going on with the W223 and because it’s an EV; neither of them have met my own expectations anyway. For me personally, I can adopt to enjoy either of them, but not excited at all. I’ve always preferred the S over the 7, and between these two cars the choice was difficult as neither of them seem ideal, but as an EV driver my bias towards EVs keep growing day over day. It’s too hard to go back to ICE. The ev drivetrain is superior.

Last edited by S_W222; Yesterday at 08:49 AM.
QuadBenz (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
LOL, whatever you say.

There is no such thing as objectively “the right car” whether you pretend you have the insight to name a car that or not. Both of these cars are great luxury cars whether you like them or not.

You dont have one of these cars, we know you don’t like it we don’t need to listen to you complain about it in every thread, thanks. Those of us who do have the car would like to discuss it free of that. I don’t care to go into the Model S Tesla forums and constantly talk about how much I dislike that car.

Last edited by SW20S; Yesterday at 10:18 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,254 Likes on 2,026 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

Reality is both of these cars are way better than you and others give them credit for being. W223 clearly has had a lot of issues with its rollout but things seem to be doing much better, and the 7 is a great product that is bold and unique and has been a big success for BMW. I’m a month in with the 223 and it’s fabulous, if Stream will allow for a glitch here and there without freaking out I’m sure he will be very happy with his i7 too. All this hand wringing is just silly.
I agree.
While the W223 had its share of issues which were amplified by bigger problems from a major supplier (Bosch) affecting all manufacturers with its 48 Volt systems, the car got a lot of bad posts here.

It didn’t help of course that a well respected member here purchased a car here without having seen or driven it and then hating the experience very vocally.
Covid fallout of course but not reflecting the experience of others that enjoy their cars.
SW20S (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL, whatever you say.

There is no such thing as objectively “the right car” whether you pretend you have the insight to name a car that or not. Both of these cars are great luxury cars whether you like them or not.

You dont have one of these cars, we know you don’t like it we don’t need to listen to you complain about it in every thread, thanks. Those of us who do have the car would like to discuss it free of that. I don’t care to go into the Model S Tesla forums and constantly talk about how much I dislike that car.
I couldn’t care less, again, about the fact you don’t enjoy what I post, your problem, deal with it, am not even sorry for u. I will post whatever I want whenever I want within the forum rules whether you like it or not : ). If you come to forums for validation, you are in the wrong place for your mentality. You yourself have been around this subforum for at least 2 years or longer when you were not a W223 owner, posting several times about how much you’d love for the 7 to be your next car with a superior drivetrain compared to the W223, posting pictures of your ideal color and trim for the i7 etc…. Nobody stopped u. Only the S met your lease terms wishlist in the end, so good for you. Same here am a person who may decide to get a W223 facelift and this forum helped me make a part of this decision from what am seeing. Forums and sub-forums are there for us to follow the rules which apply to owners, fans, potential buyers as well as those who are not a fan of a particular car. Am here as a long MB fan, and it’s none of your business to dictate what people post. Your last 3 correspondence are way too personalized towards my own posts, silly and useless. It’s a theme of yours that many have witnessed. Find someone else to poke around as it seems to be a hobby; am gonna pass and ignore. Let others enjoy this specific thread the way they want; don’t tell others what they should post or not cause u’ll be ignored as nobody. It’s an open forum for a reason.
QuadBenz (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 481 Likes on 333 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Sounds like you met forum member streamliner in real life
I did mention his username just to see if it was him. LOL
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
I couldn’t care less, again, about the fact you don’t enjoy what I post, your problem, deal with it, am not even sorry for u. I will post whatever I want whenever I want within the forum rules whether you like it or not : ). If you come to forums for validation, you are in the wrong place for your mentality. You yourself have been around this subforum for at least 2 years or longer when you were not a W223 owner, posting several times about how much you’d love for the 7 to be your next car with a superior drivetrain compared to the W223, posting pictures of your ideal color and trim for the i7 etc…. Nobody stopped u. Only the S met your lease terms wishlist in the end, so good for you. Same here am a person who may decide to get a W223 facelift and this forum helped me make a part of this decision from what am seeing. Forums and sub-forums are there for us to follow the rules which apply to owners, fans, potential buyers as well as those who are not a fan of a particular car. Am here as a long MB fan, and it’s none of your business to dictate what people post. Your last 3 correspondence are way too personalized towards my own posts, silly and useless. It’s a theme of yours that many have witnessed. Find someone else to poke around as it seems to be a hobby; am gonna pass and ignore. Let others enjoy this specific thread the way they want; don’t tell others what they should post or not cause u’ll be ignored as nobody. It’s an open forum for a reason.
I posted here while I was shopping for the car and ultimately bought the car...and actually the moderators did close threads and ask me and others to stop discussing the 7 Series. Its not about coming to forums for validation, its obnoxious to be told you are wrong about a car that you own from someone who doesn't own it and has no personal experience with it. Every time you post that way you can look forward to me pointing that out to you and everybody else.

If you want to spend your energy endlessly complaining about a car that you don't own and have no intention of owning thats your perogative.
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I agree.
While the W223 had its share of issues which were amplified by bigger problems from a major supplier (Bosch) affecting all manufacturers with its 48 Volt systems, the car got a lot of bad posts here.
My understanding was that Bosch supplied and manufactured the mild hybrid battery for mbenz, but the overall 48V system architecture was still designed by Mbenz. Who supplied BMW’s 48V system which also seems to be problematic?
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I agree.

It didn’t help of course that a well respected member here purchased a car here without having seen or driven it and then hating the experience very vocally.
Covid fallout of course but not reflecting the experience of others that enjoy their cars.
Issue is those of us who do enjoy the car get shouted down by these people who don't own the car. I have been told multiple times that my enjoyment of the car is because I am in the "honeymoon phase" by people who do not own the car and have never owned the car. That keeps people from feeling like they can share positive experiences. Thats something that needs to be stopped. If people own the car and have issues then of course those people should be free to share those issues, but people who post in this forum for the express purpose of running the car down with no ownership experience themselves need to be asked not to do that, IMO.
carlosinseattle (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts
Various
My understanding was that Bosch supplied and manufactured the mild hybrid battery for mbenz, but the overall 48V system architecture was still designed by Mbenz. Who supplied BMW’s 48V system which also seems to be problematic?
Did they ever fix it? It’s been quiet on failures but I don’t read all the model threads that have the 48v system. And are other makes still ok with it - BMW, Audi, and others?
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NbyNW
Did they ever fix it? It’s been quiet on failures but I don’t read all the model threads that have the 48v system. And are other makes still ok with it - BMW, Audi, and others?
No, would be my guess. Our 22’ X7 didn’t last long and had a few glitches related to that. We never had a single issue or glitch with our 2019 X7 (which didn’t have 48V), though they were both the same exact car or same generation (BMW introduced 48V in 2021 in the mid of pre-LCI perior). We currently have the new LCI X7 and X5, no issues yet but it hasn’t been long, and the forums are full of reported issues so am expecting some issues down the road. The interesting part is that we never had any issues with our X5s, including the ones with or without 48V; it was mostly the X7 and you can easily tell that the X7 and 7 forums report more issues than the X5 forum (though to me the X5 looks like the same car as the X7 parts wise but just shorter).
NbyNW (Yesterday)
Old Today, 01:51 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 173 Posts
No, would be my guess. Our 22’ X7 didn’t last long and had a few glitches related to that. We never had a single issue or glitch with our 2019 X7 (which didn’t have 48V), though they were both the same exact car or same generation (BMW introduced 48V in 2021 in the mid of pre-LCI perior). We currently have the new LCI X7 and X5, no issues yet but it hasn’t been long, and the forums are full of reported issues so am expecting some issues down the road. The interesting part is that we never had any issues with our X5s, including the ones with or without 48V; it was mostly the X7 and you can easily tell that the X7 and 7 forums report more issues than the X5 forum (though to me the X5 looks like the same car as the X7 parts wise but just shorter).
We just had a fully equipped new 25 X7M60 for two days, very impressive, much nicer/better? than the GLS we tested and this M60's AC worked well.