S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Ordered a new car today…………

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,584 Likes on 2,048 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by crabman
Whatever glass is in there, works pretty darn well, no matter the nomenclature; the car is very quiet.
It certainly is. The only three things I miss about my S580: The ultra quiet cabin, the 4D Audio and the ground clearance of the front facia. EVERYTHING else is better in my “Plain Jane” 2020 S560, everything!
Old 03-02-2024, 01:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2012 W221 S63, 2016 W166 GLE350d
I have a G11 with 2VS - executive drive pro/active comfort drive with road preview and I don't find it comparable to MBC, ABC, or even Airmatic to be completely honest. Yes, it rides decently and 'smoother' than standard BMW air suspension but I still find the standard W221, 222, and 223 Airmatic to be more comfortable. I also find the X167 GLS Airmatic to be much smoother over expansion joints on bridges. 2VS does sometimes work, where letting go of the throttle over broken pavement is somewhat noticeable but you cannot expect it to perform similar to MBC.

Also, there is still quite a bit of body roll compared to ABC and MBC even in sport mode; 2VS adds active roll bars using the 48v system similar to Porsche's later gen PDCC system.

Acoustic glass doesn't necessarily always have to say 'acoustic' on the glass markings, sometimes it can say 'XI' on it and that also denotes acoustic, laminated glass. This is the case for all my MB's and BMW's.

Also, I find the noise to be noticeable on the G11, a GLS is much more quiet, let alone any S class.

I also have individual full merino upholstery and individual piano lacquer trim, which they claim is finished the same way on Rolls Royce's where the lacquer is hand buffed on Tulipwood veneer. It still feels hollow and it's most definitely veneer set on a plastic shell. The interior feels hollow. At the price I got this at, I am satisfied because the dealer wanted them gone, but it definitely feels more like a 5 series plus sort of product, not an S class competitor or even S class minus.
The following users liked this post:
QuadBenz (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 02:05 PM

Received 196 Likes on 151 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
FYI

I'm sure the Mercedes Windshield is covered but not sure about the side and rear window protection against Harmful UVA radiation. A good tint can block both UV type A and type B especially if you drive for a living and your exposure duration is high over your lifetime. Most of my cars are tinted since they were purchased in New Mexico. When I drive locally and travel cross country always wear long sleeve shirts. Since I purchased my AMG wagon in Duluth, GA in 2021 will get side windows tinted with a quality film when decide to keep the car past its warranty period. Applied Ceramic lifetime coating to my Wagon including windshield plus front PPF before my 3-month Trek to East Coast in November '23 for protection from road debris. Need to paint my Southwest style home next after sending wife $11K for Son's Georgia Tech Tuition. Taxes are next in April then will decide on tinting the E63s Wagon...
Old 03-02-2024, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by S_W222
You are wrong again SW20S with regards to “S-class does not have ANY acoustic glass”. The S-class does have acoustic glass.
Here is formal disclaimer by MBUSA: “The S-Class has green-tinted thermal insulation glass as standard. The windshield is made of laminated safety glass with an integral acoustic membrane, while the side windows and rear window are of single-pane safety glass. Laminated safety glass all-round is available as standard equipment. This insulates against heat and noise, and reflects infrared radiation.”
Source: https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...z-s-class-2021

The same is true for BMW. Acoustic has been available in the X5 and X7 and several other vehicles and usually indicated on the glass. Regional BMW sales manager that am in contact with had mentioned before the the i7 M70 has acoustic glass. Another user here indicated that he was told the same by his salesman/dealer. There is clear indications that the i7 50 and 60 trims do not have it, and there is a yet to be confirmed hypothesis that the climate comfort pkg may bring that to the 60 as well (if the pkg is available for the 60).
Okay, but the windshield does not say it’s acoustic glass. So…how do you know the glass in the 7 series isn’t acoustic glass?

My guess is both cars have acoustic glass and it’s just not marked. If the climate comfort glass added additional sound insulation they would market that. I have zero confidence in what any salesman or “regional sales manager” says

Last edited by SW20S; 03-02-2024 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by crabman
Whatever glass is in there, works pretty darn well, no matter the nomenclature; the car is very quiet.
Exactly, and in driving the W223 and the G70 back to back, they are very similarly quiet.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:42 PM

Received 320 Likes on 175 Posts
2022 S580, Range Rover full sized, retired (Ferraris, lamborghini, Bentley, RR, Porsche etc, etc...)
Originally Posted by Streamliner
It certainly is. The only three things I miss about my S580: The ultra quiet cabin, the 4D Audio and the ground clearance of the front facia. EVERYTHING else is better in my “Plain Jane” 2020 S560, everything!
Stream, is it worth waiting for the S580 refresh? I know they won’t address all your gripes but you may be surprised with how many things are addressed in the refresh.

I really appreciate how good my S580 is after I haven’t driven it for a while or after driving another vehicle. It’s very special indeed!
SW20S (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
I’m going to wait to at least see the refresh before I pull the trigger on something, we should see it by late summer I would think.
Frenetic (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 439 Posts
2023 S500
I’m retiring in a few years. I intend to get another S class after my current lease. In fact, I’ll probably buy with a long warranty since I really don’t drive much versus leasing. I like my S class. To me it looks awesome. I just hope they fix the cheap plastic interior on the refresh.
chassis (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 605 Likes on 399 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by 5634MG
I have a G11 with 2VS - executive drive pro/active comfort drive with road preview and I don't find it comparable to MBC, ABC, or even Airmatic to be completely honest. Yes, it rides decently and 'smoother' than standard BMW air suspension but I still find the standard W221, 222, and 223 Airmatic to be more comfortable. I also find the X167 GLS Airmatic to be much smoother over expansion joints on bridges. 2VS does sometimes work, where letting go of the throttle over broken pavement is somewhat noticeable but you cannot expect it to perform similar to MBC.

Also, there is still quite a bit of body roll compared to ABC and MBC even in sport mode; 2VS adds active roll bars using the 48v system similar to Porsche's later gen PDCC system.

Acoustic glass doesn't necessarily always have to say 'acoustic' on the glass markings, sometimes it can say 'XI' on it and that also denotes acoustic, laminated glass. This is the case for all my MB's and BMW's.

Also, I find the noise to be noticeable on the G11, a GLS is much more quiet, let alone any S class.

I also have individual full merino upholstery and individual piano lacquer trim, which they claim is finished the same way on Rolls Royce's where the lacquer is hand buffed on Tulipwood veneer. It still feels hollow and it's most definitely veneer set on a plastic shell. The interior feels hollow. At the price I got this at, I am satisfied because the dealer wanted them gone, but it definitely feels more like a 5 series plus sort of product, not an S class competitor or even S class minus.
I'd agree with that. The 2VS is a big improvement over the standard air suspension in the X7, X5 or 7-series... but it's not even close to how my S560 used to ride and it didn't even have MBC. BMWs, by design, are biased towards a sporty ride anyway so I was happy with the ride of each and every BMW I have had. Comfort wise, nothing compares to the S-class, but still... I would say that 2VS in a BMW is a must because most BMWs anyway are a step-behind comfort wise when compared to the S-class. The only exception is the X7 with DHP vs GLS with MBC... I felt the X7 was doing better.

There is one common factor here... we are all considering other luxury sedans, only because the W223 isn't enticing enough. Having said that, it feels like it's still hard to find a car that is as good as the S-class that we have in mind...

Last edited by S_W222; 03-02-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 674 Posts
23 S580 Executive
To be clear, if I were going to buy another large sedan of this style it would be another S Class. As it turns out, I'm not quite the target buyer; I prefer to actually be able to tell the wheels are connected in some fashion to the steering wheel and things of that nature.

I'd also venture that the S Class would probably not get that nod if BMW hadn't beaten the 7 with an ugly stick and VAG would get off the pot with the A8.

S_W222 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by Frenetic
I’m retiring in a few years. I intend to get another S class after my current lease. In fact, I’ll probably buy with a long warranty since I really don’t drive much versus leasing. I like my S class. To me it looks awesome. I just hope they fix the cheap plastic interior on the refresh.
If they fix the interior I too would be inclined to get another S Class. I love the look and feel of it, right now though the 7 is the better car,

... but it's not even close to how my S560 used to ride and it didn't even have MBC.
Thats not true of the G70 generation, it was true of the G11/12. I have driven both the 760 and the i7 back to back multiple times with the W223 and my S560, and the G70 7 Series rides every bit as good, and the i7 rides better...probably because of the weight. This generation 7 Series is way more ride biased than previous 7s or other BMWs. Like me Streamliner is a big smooth ride fan and he has a non MBC S560 he's comparing the i7 to.
QuadBenz (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:46 AM

Received 320 Likes on 175 Posts
2022 S580, Range Rover full sized, retired (Ferraris, lamborghini, Bentley, RR, Porsche etc, etc...)
IF, I were to buy another sedan to replace my current S580 it would be the S class (580 refresh/63AMG) or the Bentley Flying Spur.

This week (as I seem to change my mind week to week), I’m thinking of replacing the S with a super SUV like the Lamborghini Urus. Waiting for the unveiling of the new hybrid Urus (apparently imminent) which should be interesting. There are also a lot of gently used ones on the secondary market.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by SW20S
Thats not true of the G70 generation, it was true of the G11/12. I have driven both the 760 and the i7 back to back multiple times with the W223 and my S560, and the G70 7 Series rides every bit as good, and the i7 rides better...probably because of the weight. This generation 7 Series is way more ride biased than previous 7s or other BMWs. Like me Streamliner is a big smooth ride fan and he has a non MBC S560 he's comparing the i7 to.
You can only label statements by others as "not true" when it is a "false claim and should be corrected by a fact" just like the several facts or claims you made above and changed from time to time or over the years, but you can't label an opinion related to something that is subjective as "not true". That's how I feel about it and you can not quantify comfort by a number. Several reviewers similarly reported that the comfort in the 7 is slightly inferior to the S-class, but it's still excellent. There is no right or wrong fact here, these are subjective opinions when comparing super comfortable rides like these. I'd label a statement as not true if we were comparing it to other brands, but both of these are already too good that anyone may like one vs the others. I don't know how someone would argue with someone else's subjective opinion. Share yours, but you can't convince others that what they felt is wrong especially when comfort at such luxury level can't be even measured or quantified.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bubba1
IF, I were to buy another sedan to replace my current S580 it would be the S class (580 refresh/63AMG) or the Bentley Flying Spur.

This week (as I seem to change my mind week to week), I’m thinking of replacing the S with a super SUV like the Lamborghini Urus. Waiting for the unveiling of the new hybrid Urus (apparently imminent) which should be interesting. There are also a lot of gently used ones on the secondary market.
I know that the Porsche Panamera isn't for everyone, but their new active ride suspension system seems to be phenomenal. I am very excited about it though am not sure I'd take ICE again for a daily-drive, and it's not a large luxury sedan that I can consider to compliment an EV in the garage. Still a great car and am excited to test drive one of these.
The following 3 users liked this post by S_W222:
chassis (03-03-2024), Fried Chicken (03-07-2024), QuadBenz (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
You can only label statements by others as "not true" when it is a "false claim and should be corrected by a fact" just like the several facts or claims you made above and changed from time to time or over the years, but you can't label an opinion related to something that is subjective as "not true". That's how I feel about it and you can not quantify comfort by a number. Several reviewers similarly reported that the comfort in the 7 is slightly inferior to the S-class, but it's still excellent. There is no right or wrong fact here, these are subjective opinions when comparing super comfortable rides like these. I'd label a statement as not true if we were comparing it to other brands, but both of these are already too good that anyone may like one vs the others. I don't know how someone would argue with someone else's subjective opinion. Share yours, but you can't convince others that what they felt is wrong especially when comfort at such luxury level can't be even measured or quantified.
I appreciate that you may have driven a G70 once but I've driven the cars repeatedly back to back, on at least 5 different occasions sorry the G70 7 Series rides every bit as well as an S Class or better, especially the i7 which is unquestionably the best riding car I have ever driven (although not by a huge margin). I have read and watched all the reviews that exist for this car too since I am considering one and overwhelmingly the result from reviewers is the same, that the car is one of if not the best riding cars you can currently buy and is commonly compared to the feel of driving a RR Ghost. There are multiple direct W223 comparison reviews where the reviewers say it rides just as well or better.

It also depends on wheels, like anything else a 7 on 21s isn't going to ride as well as an S Class on 20s, but you put them both on 20s and the 7 is the better rider...at least the i7. The 760 doesn't glide as flatly down a highway as an S580 or S560, but the i7 does I think largely because of the weight.

On top of ride comfort, the seats in the G70 are dramatically more comfortable than the seats in the W223, and more comfortable than the seats in the W222 which really adds to the overall feel of comfort when driving and riding in the vehicle.

Last edited by SW20S; 03-03-2024 at 01:38 PM.
QuadBenz (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 392 Likes on 268 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
You can only label statements by others as "not true" when it is a "false claim and should be corrected by a fact"..
Exactly, the boolsheet all the corporate propaganda outlets have been spewing about EVs is simply not true. There is no demand problem. It's a profit problem.

Old 03-03-2024, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Crito
Exactly, the boolsheet all the corporate propaganda outlets have been spewing about EVs is simply not true. There is no demand problem. It's a profit problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgIGowL02yU
One of my relatives is a dealership GM for one of the brands; they are certainly concerned and (biased) against EVs for some of the same reasons this guy mentioned in his YouTube video. At the same time, I can't blame them. They can't move any of their EVs off the lot as fast as they can move ICE cars. Look at the pre-owned EQS... they can barely sell a 1 year old pre-owned EQS with a few thousands of miles even when discounted by 30-40K compared to a brand-new one. I have seen (and considered) a Pinnacle trim EQS 580; finding one for high 70s wasn't that hard 7-8 months ago. Same for I7, my local dealers and the other one a few hours away from me had several allocations and always a couple of these on the lot. I don't think dealerships are getting what they want form EVs either on the demand side or maintenance side. Having said that, I think the average consumer will learn to appreciate EVs once they at least own the very first one. I don't think there are many EV owners who'd ever consider switching to ICE; but it takes so much to take the first step and to switch to an EV.
Ormond2004 (04-24-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
One of my relatives is a dealership GM for one of the brands; they are certainly concerned and (biased) against EVs for some of the same reasons this guy mentioned in his YouTube video. At the same time, I can't blame them. They can't move any of their EVs off the lot as fast as they can move ICE cars. Look at the pre-owned EQS... they can barely sell a 1 year old pre-owned EQS with a few thousands of miles even when discounted by 30-40K compared to a brand-new one. I have seen (and considered) a Pinnacle trim EQS 580; finding one for high 70s wasn't that hard 7-8 months ago. Same for I7, my local dealers and the other one a few hours away from me had several allocations and always a couple of these on the lot. I don't think dealerships are getting what they want form EVs either on the demand side or maintenance side. Having said that, I think the average consumer will learn to appreciate EVs once they at least own the very first one. I don't think there are many EV owners who'd ever consider switching to ICE; but it takes so much to take the first step and to switch to an EV.
True demand is measured in days supply. If the EV demand was really there, the days supply would reflect it. It simply isn't there in most of the US.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 S580
Well, right now, I just want to drive an I7 xDrive60 with the Autobahn Pkg., so I’m hoping there is a car in the greater Orange County area. If you can easily check inventory there, that would be great. Thanks!
So, since I am fairly unfamiliar with BMW and the 760 in particular, is the Autobahn pkg different from DRIVING ASSISTANCE PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE?

We have several with that package. Also, let me know your price range - I can also get you a bit of a deal (I think) through our friends and family deal (I get nothing, I am just a lowly IT guy )
Old 03-04-2024, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Bubba1
Stream, is it worth waiting for the S580 refresh? I know they won’t address all your gripes but you may be surprised with how many things are addressed in the refresh.

I really appreciate how good my S580 is after I haven’t driven it for a while or after driving another vehicle. It’s very special indeed!
I’ve certainly thought about it and might consider it, if I don’t go another way before they come out. I’m still hoping to go BMW.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by regancc
So, since I am fairly unfamiliar with BMW and the 760 in particular, is the Autobahn pkg different from DRIVING ASSISTANCE PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE?

We have several with that package. Also, let me know your price range - I can also get you a bit of a deal (I think) through our friends and family deal (I get nothing, I am just a lowly IT guy )
Yes, two different packages. The Autobahn is a suspension upgrade, while the Driving Assistance is similar to the MB Driver’s Assistance Pkg. I appreciate the offer on the discount, but with you in FL and me in CA, I would anticipate great messiness trying something like that.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 S580
Yes, two different packages. The Autobahn is a suspension upgrade, while the Driving Assistance is similar to the MB Driver’s Assistance Pkg. I appreciate the offer on the discount, but with you in FL and me in CA, I would anticipate great messiness trying something like that.
Ok, let me see what I can find.

We have MB dealerships in Southern California that are ours, so discount is seamless. Your call. Gotta find the right one first!
Old 03-06-2024, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Streamliner , am curious to hear your thoughts on this. But, given the diving characteristics priorities you have as far as driving comfort, and given the fact that your are buying/leasing a new car, is their a reason that a pre-owned Bently flying Spur for the same price range of a new and loaded W223 or i7 60 (~120-160K) isn’t an option you considered?
Old 03-06-2024, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by SW20S
If they fix the interior I too would be inclined to get another S Class. I love the look and feel of it, right now though the 7 is the better car,

We took a 24 i7 M70 in trade. Not a pretty car. It's a shame because BMW has built some very good looking 7 Series over the years. I guess the Ultimate Driving Machine is dead if Streamliner wants one!
S_W222 (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Streamliner , am curious to hear your thoughts on this. But, given the diving characteristics priorities you have as far as driving comfort, and given the fact that your are buying/leasing a new car, is their a reason that a pre-owned Bently flying Spur for the same price range of a new and loaded W223 or i7 60 (~120-160K) isn’t an option you considered?
I drove a "New" Flying Spur when they first came out and was not impressed with the driving qualities. The car drives very BIG, while the interior--at least from the driver's seat--almost feels cramped compared to a W222. I love the interiors, but that's pretty much where it ends for me with Bentley. So far, the I7 is the best riding car I have been in, next to my W222's with MBC.
QuadBenz (03-07-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordered a new car today…………