S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Do you use Costco Gas for your S580?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eclass 350
Do you use Costco Gas for your S580?

I just purchased a 2024 S580 a couple days ago. Black on black with night package and the 20” gloss back rims. I love it!

I’ve owned a 2009 E Class and for years I’ve been filling up at Costco bc it’s an older car and each tank saves me ~$20 each time. But I don’t want to go cheap on the 580 if for some reason Costcos gas isn’t ideal for the bi turbo V8.

Question- do you guys use Costco gas for your 580? Or should I stick to Shell and Chevron for a new car?
Old 05-01-2024, 07:11 AM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
2022 S580
I've had my 2022 S580 for just over a year - bought it new from a dealer here in Atlanta. I've only filled up my car at the Brookhaven Costco here in Atlanta except for a road trip earlier this year to Charleston, SC. But when I got there, I filled up at the Costco in Charleston. Before that, I had a 2018 E63S. Except for a trip to Florida one time, I only filled that car up at Costco. Before my E63, I had a 2016 CLS. Again, only filled it up at Costco. Not one time have I gotten bad gas at Costco. To say I love Costco would be an understatement, but their gas is top-notch in my opinion. Like you, I save a lot of money by filling up at Costco. Not only do I get the saving from being a Costco member, I have the Costco-branded Citi credit card, so I get a 4% saving on gas on top of their already discounted price.

Here is what Google's Gemini said when I asked it if Costco gasoline is high quality?

Deep Dive into Costco Gasoline Quality

Costco gasoline has earned a reputation for being high quality, and here's a breakdown of why:

Top Tier Certification: This is a key differentiator. The EPA sets minimum standards for gasoline, but Top Tier goes beyond that. By using Top Tier certified gas, you get:
  • More Detergents: These detergents act like little engine cleaners, helping to prevent buildup on valves and injectors. This can lead to smoother running, potentially better fuel economy, and reduced emissions [1].
  • Industry Collaboration: Top Tier is backed by major automakers like BMW, General Motors, and Honda. This means the detergent package is specifically formulated to benefit a wide range of vehicles [2].
Costco's Specifics: Costco goes above and beyond even the Top Tier requirements:
  • Five Times the Detergents: Kirkland Signature™ Gasoline boasts five times the amount of detergents mandated by the EPA [1]. This extra cleaning power could be particularly beneficial for vehicles driven in stop-and-go traffic or used for short trips, which can lead to increased deposit buildup.
Additional Considerations:
  • Base Gasoline: While the detergent package is a major factor, the underlying gasoline itself likely comes from the same refineries as other stations. It's the specific detergent blend that sets Costco apart [3].
  • Fresh Inventory: Costco's high gas turnover rate means you're less likely to encounter gasoline that's been sitting in storage tanks for extended periods. This can be important because gasoline can degrade over time, potentially losing some performance benefits [4].
The Bottom Line:

Costco gasoline is a strong choice for most vehicles. It meets Top Tier standards and includes an extra dose of detergents thanks to Kirkland Signature™ formulation. This can lead to a cleaner engine, potentially smoother operation, and potentially better fuel economy in the long run.

Further Exploration:

If you'd like to delve deeper, here are some resources:

Last edited by Mem30306; 05-01-2024 at 08:27 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mem30306:
crabman (05-01-2024), jsakabuck (05-02-2024), retiredandhappy (05-06-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 641 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Great response. I'll tack on a little random crap because I'm one of those guys.

The vast majority of retailers have the package injected in-line while the truck is loaded; the driver simply swipes a card that tells the terminal what the package should be for that tank, as well as the ethanol ratio, which is also added at that time. Already in the gas are various antioxidants and corrosion inhibitors, which are injected earlier to protect the terminal and refining equipment itself. Could be no name, top tier, the majority of all gas sold becomes top tier, or not, in that way. Costco is one of the few that buys their fuel naked and adds the package themselves. Neither a pro nor con since there is no real knowing what the actual additive package might be; but it's an interesting difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
Mem30306 (05-01-2024), wildta (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 413 Posts
MB
I use Costco gas when convenient on my m176 (GLE 580) with no issues.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eclass 350
Originally Posted by Mem30306
I've had my 2022 S580 for just over a year - bought it new from a dealer here in Atlanta. I've only filled up my car at the Brookhaven Costco here in Atlanta except for a road trip earlier this year to Charleston, SC. But when I got there, I filled up at the Costco in Charleston. Before that, I had a 2018 E63S. Except for a trip to Florida one time, I only filled that car up at Costco. Before my E63, I had a 2016 CLS. Again, only filled it up at Costco. Not one time have I gotten bad gas at Costco. To say I love Costco would be an understatement, but their gas is top-notch in my opinion. Like you, I save a lot of money by filling up at Costco. Not only do I get the saving from being a Costco member, I have the Costco-branded Citi credit card, so I get a 4% saving on gas on top of their already discounted price.

Here is what Google's Gemini said when I asked it if Costco gasoline is high quality?

Deep Dive into Costco Gasoline Quality

Costco gasoline has earned a reputation for being high quality, and here's a breakdown of why:

Top Tier Certification: This is a key differentiator. The EPA sets minimum standards for gasoline, but Top Tier goes beyond that. By using Top Tier certified gas, you get:
  • More Detergents: These detergents act like little engine cleaners, helping to prevent buildup on valves and injectors. This can lead to smoother running, potentially better fuel economy, and reduced emissions [1].
  • Industry Collaboration: Top Tier is backed by major automakers like BMW, General Motors, and Honda. This means the detergent package is specifically formulated to benefit a wide range of vehicles [2].
Costco's Specifics: Costco goes above and beyond even the Top Tier requirements:
  • Five Times the Detergents: Kirkland Signature™ Gasoline boasts five times the amount of detergents mandated by the EPA [1]. This extra cleaning power could be particularly beneficial for vehicles driven in stop-and-go traffic or used for short trips, which can lead to increased deposit buildup.
Additional Considerations:
  • Base Gasoline: While the detergent package is a major factor, the underlying gasoline itself likely comes from the same refineries as other stations. It's the specific detergent blend that sets Costco apart [3].
  • Fresh Inventory: Costco's high gas turnover rate means you're less likely to encounter gasoline that's been sitting in storage tanks for extended periods. This can be important because gasoline can degrade over time, potentially losing some performance benefits [4].
The Bottom Line:

Costco gasoline is a strong choice for most vehicles. It meets Top Tier standards and includes an extra dose of detergents thanks to Kirkland Signature™ formulation. This can lead to a cleaner engine, potentially smoother operation, and potentially better fuel economy in the long run.

Further Exploration:

If you'd like to delve deeper, here are some resources:
Thank you for the good information. Yes, I also love Costco gas given the price is usually $0.60 per gallon less plus you get that 4% cash back if you use the Citicard!
Old 05-01-2024, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 565 Likes on 368 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
For at least the past 10 years, I never used any gas other than Costco. Even when traveling to other states or out-of-town, I navigate the nearest Costco gas station unless I really need to re-fuel on the highway. No issues whatsoever on any of my cars, and I owned more than 15 cars in the past 10 years between me and my wife.
The following users liked this post:
retiredandhappy (05-06-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 945 Likes on 691 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I've been using Costco gas in my Mercedes since 2006. The only issue I ever had with it was an occasional whine from the Mercedes service advisor about using it.
Mem30306 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 05:23 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
Yes and no issues from the pump filler to the spark plugs. A good mix of NA and forced induction engine. If I am fortunate enough to add S580, it too will see costco. Most miles are from costco gas stations, maybe less than 1k are at other brands.

05 S55 - ~300k miles, started ownership around 130k
07 S550 - 200k since new
07 Camry - 200k since new
06 S65 - 50k, started at 20k
13 C63 - 80k since new
07 F430 - 10k, started at 20k
08 Gallardo - 5k, started at 20k
15 Huracan - 40k, started at 15k
15 E63 - 100k started at 10k
19 S63 - 35k since new
21 E63 25k since new
Old 05-04-2024, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,573 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I would not hesitate to use Costco gas...
retiredandhappy (05-06-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 747 Likes on 489 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I also use Costco gas on my ICE cars. I find the costco has station is also cleaner, better maintained and safer than independent stations.
MBNUT1 (05-05-2024)