S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

More of a beta tester than an S580 owner.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,670 Likes on 2,102 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
Thank you for the replies everyone. If this last 30-day episode was the only occurrence, I'd be inclined to agree that the 2-month offer is over and above. The car has been in the shop for recurring issues much longer than that. Well more than 90 days since delivery. I'm not trying to be a grinder and certainly not trying to win the trailer park lottery here.

Since getting it back, I am again getting numerous sensor failure messages (lane change assist, active brake assist, etc etc) indicating all sorts of impending disasters (kidding), and now the rear interior lights don't work again. It's been there 2x for that previously.

In the end though....I want this to end. I'm certain that they'll ask for language that limits my further options and remedies. I sure would if I was them. I'll use the 2-months of cash toward an extended warranty and they can just enjoy the steady stream of warranty claims this car will give them. We shall see.

Thank you.
You sir are a MUCH more patient and reasonable person than I am. You are the EXACT type of customer MB & other companies should be doing everything possible to attract & retain.Best of luck to you.
The following 4 users liked this post by Streamliner:
ArcticSilver (08-14-2024), carlosinseattle (08-14-2024), crabman (08-15-2024), Frenetic (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 S500
Originally Posted by Streamliner
You sir are a MUCH more patient and reasonable person than I am. You are the EXACT type of customer MB & other companies should be doing everything possible to attract & retain.Best of luck to you.
Definitely, although I don’t think loyalty really matters to these people anymore. To any manufacturer for that matter. We’re just a statistic to them, a replaceable number on a spreadsheet.

Most executives these days either don’t care or are too blind to see the effects of long-term customer relationships because it’s intangible to them. It doesn’t net immediate rewards yet it certainly establishes long-term benefits if they have any sense of vision. We have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they truly must not care or it’s something that can’t be actively tracked and monitored on a spreadsheet or in their pea brains (like the executive that rubber stamped the 9-speed transmission) because the decision to abandon these customers is mind boggling if you think about it.

Last edited by Frenetic; 08-14-2024 at 07:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
ArcticSilver (08-14-2024), crabman (08-15-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 07:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 S580 Exec., 2017 E43 P3
Someone earlier asked me to upload a redacted copy of my latest service invoice. Here it is attached for the curious.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

The following users liked this post:
NbyNW (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 07:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,621 Likes on 2,229 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by ArcticSilver
Someone earlier asked me to upload a redacted copy of my latest service invoice. Here it is attached for the curious.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7
Thanks for uploading the work order, wow seven pages of work, that is very detailed.
The following users liked this post:
ArcticSilver (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 11:59 PM

Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Well, I understand the European overengineered part engine wise what I meant in terms of more complexity was for example was for the additional complexity from the 48V mild hybrid system. The ISG and stuff.

As for the putting things back together I was just stating my experience and my friend's experience. Dealerships (well not all of course, luck of the draw I guess but so far 3 here in Canada) can't put a dashboard back on properly, this that OP went through was basically that but on steroids.

I agree MBs are not that hard to work with in general, my indie prefers working on MB than BMW.
Yeah the stuff they're bolting to the basic engine scares me a bit. We'll see how the ISG pans out.... along with the turbocharging, supercharging, reliance on every conceivable sensor to make things work, etc.

Regarding putting things back together... there's nuance here. You're saying the dealerships can't put a dashboard back together properly... the reason for that is not skill but time and patience. On a dashboard you're much more likely to skip a screw/nut/bolt/clip and not pay as much attention, because it's tedious, fiddly, and low risk. When you do more meat-and-potatoes work such as removing/installing an engine, the process is way less tedious (I'd rather pull an engine than a dashboard), the work much more familiar, and the stakes higher so you're going to ensure the manual is followed properly, the torque values and nuances are taken care of, just in general the work is done better.

I wouldn't be concerned with an engine that's been pulled or swapped out of a mercedes done at a mercedes dealership. Genuinely.
Old 08-15-2024, 12:17 AM

Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
I just scanned the service order/invoice/whatever it's called; So it looks like your right side cam positioner went bad causing all the engine issues, so they replaced it along with all the work around that. They replaced the motor mounts that went bad (come on mercedes, get these stupid things right), and a doing adaptations relieved the poor 3rd to 2nd gear downshift on the transmission.

They also scratched your hood and buffed it out lol (Mercedes owns up to their work). Then they did a complementary detail.
If I were a betting person, the only issue here one might expect to re-emerge is the transmission. Hopefully the adaptations took care of it
Old 08-15-2024, 07:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,621 Likes on 2,229 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken
Yeah the stuff they're bolting to the basic engine scares me a bit. We'll see how the ISG pans out.... along with the turbocharging, supercharging, reliance on every conceivable sensor to make things work, etc.

Regarding putting things back together... there's nuance here. You're saying the dealerships can't put a dashboard back together properly... the reason for that is not skill but time and patience. On a dashboard you're much more likely to skip a screw/nut/bolt/clip and not pay as much attention, because it's tedious, fiddly, and low risk. When you do more meat-and-potatoes work such as removing/installing an engine, the process is way less tedious (I'd rather pull an engine than a dashboard), the work much more familiar, and the stakes higher so you're going to ensure the manual is followed properly, the torque values and nuances are taken care of, just in general the work is done better.

I wouldn't be concerned with an engine that's been pulled or swapped out of a mercedes done at a mercedes dealership. Genuinely.
I see.