S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Sideswiped on Christmas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 05:40 PM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
S55
Sideswiped on Christmas

I was driving home from visiting some family yesterday and go sideswiped on the freeway. I just had painless dent removal on the front quarter panel less than two weeks ago. I'm waiting on insurance but I have a feeling it's going to get totaled out because the doors aren't lining up right and the suspension is not right after I just had an alignment a week ago. I worked for a summer in a body shop some years ago and I know the cost of parts are likely to surpass the cost of the cars current blue book value.

Last weekend , I was outside all Saturday with the polisher and waxing the paint as well. Also, I stopped drinking about ten years ago due to some health issues and I know from traffic school that the number of drivers under the influence on holidays is significantly higher so there's that to contend with. Overall, it's been another ****ty holiday season for me and I'm close to giving up on this ****.

Happy Holidays ☠️

​​​​​​
Old 12-26-2023, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 232 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Yeah that's a bummer. But check autohubshop on eBay. I'm pretty sure they have Brilliant Silver 744 doors and quarter panels. Now on my Flint Grey 368 I might be **** outta luck. But fingers crossed you should be OK. You know how body work is, the parts might snap on like legos. Since you started the thread, maybe keep us posted.

maw

EDIT… that even looks like a wet sand might get it out… I can’t tell if it’s dented.

Last edited by maw1124; 12-27-2023 at 10:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
paste (12-26-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 11:30 AM

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG: 2004 S55 AMG
IMHO, that doesn't look that bad at all. If anything, buy it back from insurance and cash the check. You should be able to buff those scuffs out with no problem, some mcguire's compound and a little elbow grease or DA polisher will do the trick. like Maw said, i can't tell if its dented, but the remainder of the insurance check should cover another "painless dent repair guy" to come out and finish up. It's a bummer but put everything into perspective, no-one was hurt and you're ok. The car can be replaced/repaired.

Silver is a very common color, you should be able to find what you need at a decent price if need be. Suspension can't be that bad by the looks of things. Maybe a bent control arm slightly but even that is a simple fix. Keep her going and report back.

Good luck

- Joe
Old 12-28-2023, 11:48 AM

S55
Originally Posted by PHILLYCLSJOE
IMHO, that doesn't look that bad at all. If anything, buy it back from insurance and cash the check. You should be able to buff those scuffs out with no problem, some mcguire's compound and a little elbow grease or DA polisher will do the trick. like Maw said, i can't tell if its dented, but the remainder of the insurance check should cover another "painless dent repair guy" to come out and finish up. It's a bummer but put everything into perspective, no-one was hurt and you're ok. The car can be replaced/repaired.

Silver is a very common color, you should be able to find what you need at a decent price if need be. Suspension can't be that bad by the looks of things. Maybe a bent control arm slightly but even that is a simple fix. Keep her going and report back.

Good luck

- Joe
​​​​​​
Thanks for the advice.

I still have a lien on the car as I owe a little bit to the bank as I got a loan a few years ago at less than 2% interest when banks where basically handing out free money. With that being said, I'm still at the whim of the insurance company and am waiting for the guy to come tomorrow morning to appraise the damage.

As for the repairs that you mentioned, there are dings which could be addressed by paintless dent removal, but the doors are not lining up when they are shut.

I'll know more tomorrow...
Old 12-28-2023, 10:35 PM

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Fix it for posterity

You don’t “have to” go the insurance route.

If you love the car and can afford to fix it, just fix it. Forget about whether insurance company and bank want to total it and “take” it from you and send it to auction to recover their loss.

Just fix it and ignore them.
maw1124 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So educate me here guys. They say "we're going to declare the car a total loss and write you a check." You say "thanks much but I'll keep the car." You pay off the lien from their check (or add some money to it), and you still own the car.

Where can you then get it insured? Any other company?

maw
paste (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 01:06 AM

S55
Originally Posted by maw1124
So educate me here guys. They say "we're going to declare the car a total loss and write you a check." You say "thanks much but I'll keep the car." You pay off the lien from their check (or add some money to it), and you still own the car.

Where can you then get it insured? Any other company?

maw
Thank you for pointing out these other variables that I still don't have answers to. And also for pointing out the question as to who is going to insure it should I buy it back. That's something I didn't think of. I've been in at least a half dozen no-fault accidents over the years (20) as I spent at least 10 driving for a work so there was a lot of time spent behind the wheel. I just never went through with buying a car back from the insurance because most of the.time I was driving company vehicles or the damage was so minor.

The claims adjuster is going to come by in the morning to appraise the damage and I can bring this up but I don't have unlimited money to throw around so I'm trying to be at least a little rational here.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:04 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
2007 Jaguar XJ8L, 1999 Miata, 2003 Yamaha FJR1300
I had my Miata totaled by Progressive after Hurricane Michael, when the storm took off part of my roof, the garage door, and the garage ceiling fell in. The garage door wall faced directly into the worst of the wind, with 160+ mph wind coming into the garage. I'm astonished that the wall between the garage and the living room survived! The car had lots of scrapes and scuffs, and while the top wasn't penetrated by anything, and I had no broken glass, there was a bent bow in the top's frame. The adjuster would not ignore the top, as much as I tried to get him to, because I knew that I could get a solid used frame and a brand new aftermarket top for a few hundred dollars, rather than the 3500 or so that it would cost from Mazda for OEM stuff. He admitted to me that I would have gotten three new body panels and a full paint job, but the roof damage put it over the threshold and he totaled it. I bought it back for 1600 bucks, because after all, there was NOTHING wrong with the car mechanically, and where am I going to get a good Miata for 1600 bucks?

I had to take it for an inspection and was issues a "rebuilt" title, even though there's nothing at all rebuilt in the mechanicals of the car; and an insurance total being retitled is rebuilt, period. I ordered a top frame on eBay and a new top (as the one I had, while not damaged by the storm, did have some wear and needed replacement anyway) for a grand total of 4 or 5 hundred dollars. This was late 2018, and I'm still driving the car as my daily.

Progressive still covers the car, although they did tell me not to expect a similar settlement if it gets another claim, as its value is significantly less. They totaled it before when the claim exceeded about 6 grand, if I recall correctly, but I wouldn't get 1500 for it now, I don't think. That's fine, though. I don't sell cars that I get tired of, I junk them when they are simply not worth fixing any more. I haven't sold or traded in a car in 25 or 30 years, which is about the time I bought a new car for the last time.

Some of the scrapes:

And after a good bath. Big dent on the left front fender, and some scuffs on the nose, all of which is still there. Sure would have like to have gotten those repairs!!!) I really can't believe he wouldn't ignore the roof and let me fix that myself.

Summarizing the point I'm trying to make: just because a car is rebuilt or salvage does not make it uninsurable, and in my case, even by the same company. It does limit the value of any future recovery significantly, though. On balance, since I could not have gotten a car in this condition for 1600 bucks, I jumped on the buy-back. I didn't have a lien that needed to be paid off, which of course made it easier, but there's no reason not to buy back a car that's been totaled if the roadworthiness is not severely affected or too expensive to repair. You will have to have it inspected at some state facility before you get your new title. In the OP's case, I'd be worried about the doors not lining up and the possible suspension damage, though. In his case, it might be best to take the money and run.

Last edited by wfooshee; 12-29-2023 at 10:11 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by wfooshee:
maw1124 (12-29-2023), paste (12-29-2023), PHILLYCLSJOE (12-30-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:10 AM

S55
Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wfooshee
I bought it back for 1600 bucks, because after all, there was NOTHING wrong with the car mechanically, and where am I going to get a good Miata for 1600 bucks?.

Great outcome.

I thought about this overnight and figured the greedy insurance company would happily continue to take your premiums. Did they go up or down with the rebuilt title? Also, you bought it back for $1600 but how much did they pay out on your claim?

In OPs case four numbers seem to be at play: (1) how much they pay out; (2) how much is the buyback; (3) how much are the repairs; and (4) what are the premiums going forward.

maw

Last edited by maw1124; 12-29-2023 at 02:39 PM.
PHILLYCLSJOE (12-30-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 11:44 PM

S55
I met with the claims adjuster this morning and as it stands, he gave me an estimate of damages costing about $3,700. I spoke with someone at Scott's Coach Works in Phoenix about having the repairs done and was able to show him a few pictures despite not being able to bring the car in. As this particular shop does not source any aftermarket parts, he said by the looks of it, it will probably be twice that amount to get it fixed.

I'm not sure if anyone knows of this particular shop, but they have a reputation for working on higher end cars around "The Valley," but they will only use OEM parts. I worked alongside Scott almost fifteen years ago one summer helping him to restore an old Ford and then also as a driver delivering auto parts at other companies for several years so I know a little bit about costs and the processes involved. However, there are still unanswered questions from the insurance company about appraising the cost of the car, something they told me they will not do until I take it in to have it looked at.

I won't be able to drop it off until January 4th so I will be sitting around and twiddling my thumbs for another week. GEICO did give me a rental car, but it is a Chevy Spark and it feels painfully underpowered. I remember renting a Chevy Cruz about seven or eight years ago while visiting my brother in Iowa and i liked that car as it was a bit roomier and also turbocharged. They stopped making it though.

With that being said, have a good new year. They were talking at work about how next year will be better but I'm not going to hold my breath. 🥱
maw1124 (12-30-2023)
Old 01-09-2024, 09:17 AM

S55
I got a call from the body shop at the end of the day yesterday and they told me that they completed the estimate and it is under the threshold value for the car to be totaled so they are submitting it back to the insurance and will begin the repairs as soon as it comes through. My bumpers are going to get painted also ...
The following 2 users liked this post by paste:
maw1124 (01-09-2024), PHILLYCLSJOE (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 03:19 PM

Thats good news. Report back once you get it back from the body shop. You'll have yourself a freshly and professionally detailed car once again.
maw1124 (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 04:31 PM

S55
Originally Posted by PHILLYCLSJOE
Thats good news. Report back once you get it back from the body shop. You'll have yourself a freshly and professionally detailed car once again.
Thanks. I might have to get some new wheels though because I have a leak where the tire meets the wheel. I found these Mmr gt01 which should be a good size, including center bore.
PHILLYCLSJOE (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 05:52 PM

I actually like those and think they would look good on your car. I say go for it
paste (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by paste
I got a call from the body shop at the end of the day yesterday and they told me that they completed the estimate and it is under the threshold value for the car to be totaled so they are submitting it back to the insurance and will begin the repairs as soon as it comes through. My bumpers are going to get painted also ...
See if you can get a color correction out of the body shop as well. The way the paint pops will astonish you.

Do the wheels have a front fitment (8.5”)? I’m on 19s and have found that I like 285 more than the factory spec 275. But I worry all of that might be too wide for the front. You might get away with a 265 up front on a 9.5” wheel but it’s gonna be tricky — very low profile to keep the speedo happy, which won’t be very comfortable. Factory 19s are 8.5F/9.5R.

maw

Last edited by maw1124; 01-09-2024 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:08 PM

S55
See if you can get a color correction out of the body shop as well. The way the paint pops will astonish you.

Do the wheels have a front fitment (8.5”)? I’m on 19s and have found that I like 285 more than the factory spec 275. But I worry all of that might be too wide for the front. You might get away with a 265 up front on a 9.5” wheel but it’s gonna be tricky — very low profile to keep the speedo happy, which won’t be very comfortable. Factory 19s are 8.5F/9.5R.

maw
They do not have a 8.5" wide 19" diameter wheel. I referenced this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ims-tires.html

It provides a good overview of 19x9.5 wheels ...
maw1124 (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They do not have a 8.5" wide 19" diameter wheel. I referenced this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ims-tires.html

It provides a good overview of 19x9.5 wheels ...
Perfect. You’re good. WelwynnNick is who I consider the resident expert on this. I knew he had gone over square fitments, etc. He’s where I got the idea to go to 245/285 on my factory 19s. Great decision. Let us know how you like the square setup.

maw
paste (01-09-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 02:18 AM

S55
Smile

Perfect. You’re good. WelwynnNick is who I consider the resident expert on this. I knew he had gone over square fitments, etc. He’s where I got the idea to go to 245/285 on my factory 19s. Great decision. Let us know how you like the square setup.

maw
I contacted the body shop today about this and they are going to use the cost of reconditioning the wheels on the drivers side towards the purchase of the new set of wheels. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out now ...

I'll post some pictures when I get it back.

Last edited by paste; 01-12-2024 at 07:35 AM.
maw1124 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I contacted the body shop today about this and they are going to use the cost of reconditioning the wheels on the drivers side towards the purchase of the new set of wheels. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out now ...

I'll post some pictures when I get it back.
New wheels, damage fixed and a color correction, the car will look fantastic... are you kidding me? All for the price of an insurance claim??? If it turns out the way I think it will, the guy did you a favor.

maw
The following 3 users liked this post by maw1124:
JohnLane (01-13-2024), paste (01-12-2024), rockykhan (01-15-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 02:30 PM

S55
New wheels, damage fixed and a color correction, the car will look fantastic... are you kidding me? All for the price of an insurance claim??? If it turns out the way I think it will, the guy did you a favor.

maw
I got the car back and it's looking good. I'm not happy with how they did the alignment or neglected to fix any suspension parts that may have been damaged as a result because my car was centered a lot better after I had some work done about two weeks prior to all this happening.

Anyhow, here are some pictures.

​​​​​

Old 02-29-2024, 02:52 PM

Looks great and I like the new wheel set-up.

Take some time to drive/enjoy the car again and shake it out. You'll have plenty of time to sort out and go through accordingly and get it back 100% as you see fit.

Glad to hear everything worked out and you got it back, looking better then before.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks good. Tell the insurance company you're not happy and that it needs to go to a dealer for an alignment and shakedown of any askew suspension parts. Continue the claim, so to speak.

maw
The following 2 users liked this post by maw1124:
paste (02-29-2024), S_Holford (03-02-2024)