S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

Ordering a 2020 S63 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 04:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe
Ordering a 2020 S63 Coupe

After much consideration, I am heading to my local dealer next weekend to spec out my 2020 S63 coupe. Attached are photos of what I have created on the MBUSA configurator. I am trying to decide on the exterior color and as of now, the candidates are black, obsidian black, and selenite grey. I am also not sure if I want to do carbon fiber trim in the interior or flowing lines. Let me know what you think. To those who have ordered the same car, what did you pay compared to MSRP?

Old 01-04-2020, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

You want the carbon fiber black piano wood interior -

You want the exterior carbon fiber package -

You want the carbon fiber engine cover -

You want the AMG Aerodynamics package -

You want the Swarovski headlamps -

You want the AMG CCB's - the math lesson

has been explained over and over in this

sub-forum -

If you do not order the CCB's and opt to go

with dirty wheels as least go with silver calipers -

Nothing degrades a Mercedes like red calipers -

You want the AMG Drive Unit -

Ask yourself what is the difference between

200k and 210k -

You will have serious regrets about any option

you wanted but thought that you should be

watching your costs -

To change once your Coupe has arrived it

will cost big money to make your Coupe

the way you should have ordered it -

My choice for color is Selenite Grey -

Again - stop and think as you are purchasing

the top GT produced -

Don't cut corners -

Do it right -

Thank-You
D.B.

Last edited by COOPERDB; 01-04-2020 at 07:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan_B (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 10:54 PM

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)

Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
For exterior, I would go for plain Black, in combination with the silver wheels (and silver calipers) it has a great contrast and presence. Personally I would refrain from the exterior/interior carbon parts, but that it is a matter of personal taste. Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2020, 12:35 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
For exterior, I would go for plain Black, in combination with the silver wheels (and silver calipers) it has a great contrast and presence. Personally I would refrain from the exterior/interior carbon parts, but that it is a matter of personal taste. Enjoy!
I am now leaning more towards black. I am pretty set on the black rims just because I love how they look. I’m most certainly skipping the exterior carbon fiber package but will be doing the AMG aerodynamic package. I’ll post my final spec once I place the order on Saturday.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:30 PM

2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
Originally Posted by turboluke
I am now leaning more towards black. I am pretty set on the black rims just because I love how they look. I’m most certainly skipping the exterior carbon fiber package but will be doing the AMG aerodynamic package. I’ll post my final spec once I place the order on Saturday.
David.
You can always swap the wheels by working with David @thewb who's awesome to work with. Changing other features post build is expensive or impossible, thus the advice from DB to really invest thinking prior to ordering.

I started out with black wheels but later upgraded both AMGs to silver wheels from David. You can read more here: https://mbworld.org/forums/s63-amg-4...-upgrades.html

thewb (01-06-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 02:40 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Only makes sense to buy these new if you plan on keeping 4-5 years because the depreciation is painful if you sell or trade-in in the first two years. So make sure you get something you'll be happy with long term. Also Mercedes options are honestly quite reasonable - if you don't believe, go spec out a Porsche, Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, etc.

Carbon fiber is purely cosmetic on a 4700 lb car, so would be the first thing I'd pass on for budgetary restraint. The exterior pieces can be retrofitted without excessive labor, but even with a 30% parts discount, they will cost more than buying the new car with them. But you will have the original plastic trim pieces as spares. Interior trim is not so easy to retrofit as the doors and dash have to be removed, lots of labor involved, so order it with the car if you want it. The flowing lines is nice too, although will show dust and fingerprints much more and is pretty expensive for what it is.

CCBs have advantages (won't wear out during ownership with street use, no dust) and are MUCH cheaper to buy with the car than retrofit. In fact, most of their cost is offset with the first factory brake job as new AMG steel rotors and pads installed at the dealership run about $6000-7000. They also stop better with no fade; I think the standard steel brakes are one of the weaknesses of this very heavy car. And definitely skip the red calipers if you go with the steel brakes! Also the savings in unsprung weight are significant.

And if you are ordering a 2020 try to get one with the AMG U88 Drive Unit buttons - it is the only real thing that sets the 2020 apart from the 2018-2019. Without them, might as well buy a pre-owned 2018-2019 and save a lot of money. Unfortunately U88 is verboten with heated steering wheel.

The Burmester 3D is amazing and absolutely worth the money if you enjoy listening to music or concerts in the car. Forget about retrofitting it, and aftermarket system of similar quality will be more money.

Upgrade to one of the forged wheel options, they are much more resistant to getting bent. Or get the standard wheels and go aftermarket.

Definitely get the designo interior and driver assist. As for other options, just pick what is important to you. I passed on Magic Sky, warmth & comfort (wanted U88, and I'm in Arizona), and electrically heated windshield.

Color is obviously personal. Selenite or Iridium will be lowest maintenance. Enamel black or metallic black will look the best when clean and properly cared for but will show dirt and dust almost immediately, and any clear coat defects will be most obvious. I chose magnetite black (very dark grey with heavy blue/green/yellow metallic) since it looks black-ish under anything but direct sun, and is much lower maintenance than the true blacks. It does have a slight greenish/bluish hue in the sun so need to see it in person to see if you like it. In full strong sun - which is the norm here in Arizona - I think it looks stunning. This is not my car but same color and wheels.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:49 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe
Just picked mine up two weeks back. Carbon on the inside, night/black on the outside with black wheels. I would have gone with the silver wheels if exterior was dark. See photos here 2020 S63
Dan_B (01-09-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 04:23 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I am not concerned about budget, it was more or less things that I feel like that I truly do not need. If I end up going with black, I will have the car ceramic coated. As for the AMG Drive Unit, I will be adding that despite not being able to add the warmth and comfort package.

Anyways, here is my updated build. Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:27 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Igor Sakhnov
Just picked mine up two weeks back. Carbon on the inside, night/black on the outside with black wheels. I would have gone with the silver wheels if exterior was dark. See photos here 2020 S63
I was looking at your car earlier and I must say, beautiful ride!
Old 01-06-2020, 10:55 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe
I was looking at your car earlier and I must say, beautiful ride!
I've gone back and forth on the options and am happy with the outcome The only item I wish was possible to get is U88 buttons that can't be ordered with the warmth package.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:16 AM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Luke, I would definitely get carbon fiber interior instead of flowing lines. Has more depth perception than flowing lines.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:06 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by coolcamden
Luke, I would definitely get carbon fiber interior instead of flowing lines. Has more depth perception than flowing lines.
I’ve seen the flowing lines on a few coupes and on one or two sedans and I personally think that it looks rather good. That being said, I will take a look at the carbon fiber interior when I head to the dealer on Saturday. They happen to have one obsidian black coupe with the carbon fiber interior.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:25 PM

Received 116 Likes on 66 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2017 S650 Maybach Convertible, 2020 S560 Sedan, 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Although mine is a 2019 S65, I went for Black Exterior with Chrome, silver calipers and shiny wheels. (I like the contrast). Interior leather is black, wood/leather steering wheel and black piano lacquer with flowing line trims. (Its beautiful in my opinion).
Old 01-09-2020, 08:44 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by amir1

Although mine is a 2019 S65, I went for Black Exterior with Chrome, silver calipers and shiny wheels. (I like the contrast). Interior leather is black, wood/leather steering wheel and black piano lacquer with flowing line trims. (Its beautiful in my opinion).
Sweet ride! Did you XPEL the car or do any type of paint protection?
Heisenberg (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:56 PM

You must have XPEL to protect your coupe from rocks and road rubbish. The ceramic coating with XPEL just saved me from what I thought would be a nasty rock ding. Terrible noise of a hit and a nasty mark. But instead of going to my friend Rich for body work it just wiped off... It just paid for itself again.

Also, I get the budget concern but this is a big investment and it is much more expensive to retrofit anything later. I'm not talking about color choice which is different for all of us. Just features and/or options. I would highly recommend you give this more thinking. You want to have pure perfection and the relative delta in price isn't as big.

This coupe and you as its owner deserve the very best. You will not regret investing a bit more upfront. That is said by an idiot (me) who paid a lot more after ignoring this same advice and retrofitting CCBs later. It may sound over the top, but every little bit adds to the wonder of the coupe, apart from the heating option if you live in a hot state :-)

Whatever you go with - my best wishes - you will LOVE the coupe!
Old 01-09-2020, 09:01 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dan_B
You must have XPEL to protect your coupe from rocks and road rubbish. The ceramic coating with XPEL just saved me from what I thought would be a nasty rock ding. Terrible noise of a hit and a nasty mark. But instead of going to my friend Rich for body work it just wiped off... It just paid for itself again.

Also, I get the budget concern but this is a big investment and it is much more expensive to retrofit anything later. I'm not talking about color choice which is different for all of us. Just features and/or options. I would highly recommend you give this more thinking. You want to have pure perfection and the relative delta in price isn't as big.

This coupe and you as its owner deserve the very best. You will not regret investing a bit more upfront. That is said by an idiot (me) who paid a lot more after ignoring this same advice and retrofitting CCBs later. It may sound over the top, but every little bit adds to the wonder of the coupe, apart from the heating option if you live in a hot state :-)

Whatever you go with - my best wishes - you will LOVE the coupe!
Dan,
Fortunately, budget is no concern, I just want to make sure I do everything right the first time. I’m certainly doing some sort of paint protection and after doing a little bit of research, I think I will do a full XPEL on the car. I was originally set on the way the red calipers looked but you guys convinced me to go with CCBs. This is going to be a very long few months and I absolutely cannot wait to see the finished product!

Last edited by turboluke; 01-09-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:17 PM

Dan,
Fortunately, budget is no concern, I just want to make sure I do everything right the first time. I’m certainly doing some sort of paint protection and after doing a little bit of research, I think I will do a full XPEL on the car. I was originally set on the way the red calipers looked but you guys convinced me to go with CCBs. This is going to be a very long few months and I absolutely cannot wait to see the finished product!
Awesome++ and I'm sure it is your hard work and not fortune that made this possible :-)

And if you need custom wheels, David (@thewb) is your guy! damn, I miss summer...

Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dan_B
Awesome++ and I'm sure it is your hard work and not fortune that made this possible :-)

And if you need custom wheels, David (@thewb) is your guy! damn, I miss summer...

Now that is a wonderful car! I really like the deletion of the badges, I just might have to do that now.
Dan_B (01-12-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM

Received 116 Likes on 66 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2017 S650 Maybach Convertible, 2020 S560 Sedan, 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I have not put any paint protection such as Xpel or a clear bras on it yet. My concern with Xpel is that over time it yellows. I intend to keep the car for a very long time, so I was wondering if any of you can comment on it’s long term performance. How does it look and perform after 10 years? The car is stored in a coveted garage with a car cover.
turboluke (01-09-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
UPDATE: I went to the dealer yesterday to order my car and they ended up having a car that was almost exactly what I built minus CCB and the U88 AMG Drive Unit. I was able to get a great deal on the car and will be taking delivery of it on Wednesday. Cannot wait to share some photos!
HAWKiS63 (01-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 01:22 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
UPDATE: I went to the dealer yesterday to order my car and they ended up having a car that was almost exactly what I built minus CCB and the U88 AMG Drive Unit. I was able to get a great deal on the car and will be taking delivery of it on Wednesday. Cannot wait to share some photos!
Great, congrats! What color combo is it?
Enjoy!
Old 01-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by amir1
I have not put any paint protection such as Xpel or a clear bras on it yet. My concern with Xpel is that over time it yellows. I intend to keep the car for a very long time, so I was wondering if any of you can comment on it’s long term performance. How does it look and perform after 10 years? The car is stored in a coveted garage with a car cover.
@amir1

Amir, Dorian had XPEL from Day 1. He was made in 2017 and as you can see, with XPEL and Ceramic Coating he shines even more than the day we first met :-) -- You just need to make sure the work is done by an expert. In WA it is Eastside Auto Salon (Ben and Joey). For Ceramic coating Joey uses Modesta. It is also far easier to clean, the biggest downside of black cars, and I live in a rural area...

Last edited by Dan_B; 01-12-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:42 PM

2020 S63 Coupe
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Great, congrats! What color combo is it?
Enjoy!
The exterior is Obsidian Black with black forged cross spoke rims and the interior is designo black Nappa with carbon fiber trim.
Dan_B (01-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 02:43 PM

Congratulations, Luke! You will love it! I'm very happy for you

Maybe you can consider using the savings in price to retro fit CCBs. CCBs provide a better experience, save money in the not that long run, and look awesome. If you intend to keep the coupe for more than 1.5 years, and drive it the way it ought to be driven, you will save more than you spend. I have an older thread on that with the invoice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2020 S63 Coupe