S63 AMG 4MATIC Coupe, S65 AMG Coupe (C217), Convert. (A217) 2014 -2021

C217 MY17 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
C217 MY17 Upgrades

This project started with a conversation with D.B. Cooper about a possible Christmas gift for the Coupe. It didn't take long for the timeline to shrink. D.B. recommended an improved list of products and styles (he has an incredible eye for beauty), and even more importantly, the best people to work with. Before the project started, we realized I was going to be down and out of it with back surgery, and my wife took over for us with outstanding support from D.B. Without his recommendations and outstanding assistance the project would have been stuck on hold (and not come out as great as it did). I am grateful for everything D.B. did, and I can now add that each and every person recommended by D.B. managed to exceed our high expectations. Truly a class act. While the project isn't fully done yet, I wanted to share what we did so far, in case someone wants a New Year project for their Coupe.

The first person D.B. introduced us to was David Nussbaum from the Wheels Boutique (thewb) (david@wheelsboutique.com). David mostly worked with my wife and I can't recommend him warmly enough. Working across time zones is typically a pain, but not when you work with David. He answered all our questions, priced different options for us, and was always prompt and a delight to engage and work with. In essentials, David does what he says, when he says he'll do it. A true professional--from the first email, to conference calls, and post product delivery. From David we got: 1) The Akrapovic Performance Exhaust System (Titanium Material) with Carbon Exhaust Tips, and 2) a set of custom made 20" Vorsteiner VFN-502 in Brushed Clear finish (6061 Aluminum Construction). We initially wanted a different make in black, and we were delighted with the far better option D.B. came up with :-)

The Coupe at Eastside Auto Salon after Joey and Ben made every look perfect

From David (TheWB) 20" Vorsteiner VFN-502 in Brushed Clear finish (6061 Aluminum Construction)

From David (TheWB) The CB tips are outstanding. We'll use more of the material on the next Coupe build

Finish products with background noise removed

Next recommended person is Hugo from Benchmark Motoring. Hugo and his guys have a custom shop that is small in space and great on innovation. They installed all the parts that David shipped directly to them in a tight timeline, as well as an additional system that is very difficult to install, in a seamless manner. Later in the week we'll go back to Hugo to install and front and rear DVR recorder. Everything was done right and with great attention to details. We are now waiting for a different set of wheels inserts that will look better on the Coupe

These inserts will look much better on the coupe

D.B. kept surprising us with more goodies for the coupe throughout the project. From wheel inserts, to short stem air valves, and these classy foot stools for the rear seats. They match the OEM color and the one in the passenger seat which my wife appreciates on each and every trip.

One of the many upgrades I highly value from D.B.

Joey and Ben from Eastside Auto Salon always do a great job. It rained like crazy when we picked up the coupe (you can hear the rain in the video) and yet it still looks shiny in the garage. Around Feb we'll have Joey apply a ceramic finish to the coupe and wheels (after David tells me it's OK). Check them out here: http://www.eastsideautosalon.com

We warmly recommend Joey and Ben from Eastside Auto Salon. Shines even in the rain

We go new air filters from Shardul at SRM AUTOSPORTS LLC - M157 2017 S63 high flow air filters.

You can reach him on this Forum and you'll find him quick to respond and ship.

Air filters from Shardul at SRM AUTOSPORTS LLC - M157 2017 S63 high flow air filters.

See the next post for a few videos to let you listen to the outstanding new sound from the coupe--in Comfort mode first and then in Sport--it's an incredible sound!

Last edited by Dan_B; 12-30-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
thewb (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM

2017 S63 Coupe (Roo); 2020 S63 Coupe (Dorian); 2021 Maybach GLS 600 w/all in 4 seat config (Bach S)
And, the videos to let you listen to the outstanding new sound from the coupe--in Comfort mode first and then in Sport--it's an incredible sound!

Art of Ark

To get the system you need both parts

some tech stats for the Ark
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Ark - Medium.mov (3.45 MB, 196 views)

Last edited by Dan_B; 12-30-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: fixed typo
thewb (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Thanks for the shout out!!!!!
jnash (01-20-2020)
Old 12-30-2018, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Much better on my brain ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Coupe is outstanding -

Done right and still to come...

I am so grateful that everything achieved so far

was achieved without the headaches that occur

when you use the wrong people -

Thank-You to all the people mentioned in the

original post for everything done right -

I may have a line on a set of Swarovski head lamp units -

They would be plug and play -

Thank-You
D.B.

Dan_B (12-30-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 PM
SPONSOR

Received 243 Likes on 189 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
Dan & Tal,

I cannot say this enough - it was delightful working with the two of you on this project. I am fortunate enough to meet many new people on a daily basis but rarely do I come across a group with as much passion for a project as you all had for this. Your kindness & patience made this entire build enjoyable and after seeing the end results I feel honored to have played a small part in it.

D.B., a very special thanks to you for connecting all of us. Without you this simply could not have been possible.

I look forward to seeing many more photos & videos of Dorian. I hope that all of you have prosperous & safe new year!

- David Nussbaum
Dan_B (12-31-2018)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 s63 amg coupe
2015 s63 amg coupe instrument cluster

hi there anyone out there that knows of someone that can reprogram a instrument cluster of a s63 amg coupe.my car was involved in a flood and i have no motorplan and and service plan from mercedes so fixing the car myself.instrument cluster was water damaged and beyond repair so managed to get another used cluster is there anyone that can reprogram the cluster to make it a virgin unit again.when i plug it into my car it shows on diagnostic machine via online coding that cluster is assigned to another vin no.can anyone remove the vin from cluster for me to reprogram the unit.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by c631975
hi there anyone out there that knows of someone that can reprogram a instrument cluster of a s63 amg coupe.my car was involved in a flood and i have no motorplan and and service plan from mercedes so fixing the car myself.instrument cluster was water damaged and beyond repair so managed to get another used cluster is there anyone that can reprogram the cluster to make it a virgin unit again.when i plug it into my car it shows on diagnostic machine via online coding that cluster is assigned to another vin no.can anyone remove the vin from cluster for me to reprogram the unit.

You may find some answers and people who can help you

in one of these threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=REPROGRAM+C217+S63+COUPE+instrument+clust er+site:mbworld.org&rlz=1C1CHBH_enUS743US743&sa=X& ved=2ahUKEwiZkoeqjNHfAhVJjVQKHbFoBlUQrQIoBDAFegQIA hAN&biw=1280&bih=610

Back on topic -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:44 PM

All work has been done by Hugo's folks at Benchmark Motoring (http://www.benchmarkmotoring.com) // Most of these ideas came from...who else but D.B. // Thank you!

Phase 2 upgrades added since last post:
  1. The air filters from Shardul at SRM AUTOSPORTS LLC (M157 2017 S63 high flow air filters) have been installed
  2. The wheels inserts have been changed to the AMG logo
  3. The BlackVue video recorder for the front and rear has been installed
  4. One more system that took about a day to install
Everything was done perfectly the first time! Between the Ark system and the air filters I noticed a significant improvement in both acceleration and overall performance.

Phase 2 upgrades scheduled to be done next week:
  1. Repaint calipers in bright Ferrari Yellow (D.B-- )
  2. Install lowering module with -8 down and +1 up suspension settings (controlled from steering wheel)
Planned phase 3 Feb work by Joey at Eastside Auto Salon (http://www.eastsideautosalon.com):
1. De-badge the coupe - remove rear 'AMG logo' and 'S63', and remove the 'V8 bi turbo' from both front sides
2. Repair any paint dings, and then apply ceramic coating to the entire coupe, a process that will take about 3-4 days to complete

More pictures of the exterior and interior when the project is done

Until the next post...

Last edited by Dan_B; 01-16-2019 at 10:32 PM.
thewb (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Wow it looks fantastic, and I bet it sounds much better too.

@COOPERDB is the man... was a huge help when I was searching for mine and gave me good advice along the way.

I'm debating whether to give my 2015 S63 Coupe some upgrades or trade-in for a 2018/2019.
Dan_B (01-05-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:12 PM

I was thinking about it last night. It’s a hard one because every upgrade narrows the number of potential buyers, and I doubt you’ll recoup the investment. That said, I would wait for the redesigned 2020 or 2021 coupe, and upgrade the current one you own. This way, you’re building on what you’ve already done, getting the most out of the experience immediately. I don’t think enough changed to warrant a swap at this point, but that’s just my 2 cents.

My memory is terrible, but I think Jbatan got the new convertible coupe, and can provide more input on the difference between the pre and post refresh experience.

For us it’s easier because Tal will get this coupe, when I get the 20/21, so we’ll keep enjoying these upgrades for many years.

And, thank goodness for D.B and all the great introductions to the best people and products!

Last edited by Dan_B; 01-06-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:25 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Originally Posted by Dan_B
I was thinking about it last night. It’s a hard one because every upgrade narrows the number of potential buyers, and I doubt you’ll recoup the investment. That said, I would wait for the redesigned 2020 or 2021 coupe, and upgrade the current one you own. This way, you’re building on what you’ve already done, getting the most out of the experience immediately. I don’t think enough changed to warrant a swap at this point, but that’s just my 2 cents.

My memory is terrible, but I think Jbatan got the new convertible coupe, and can provide more input on the difference between the pre and post refresh experience.

For us it’s easier because Tal will get this coupe, when I get the 20/21, so we’ll keep enjoying these upgrades for many years.

And, thank goodness for D.B and all the great introductions to the best people and products!
That was my plan, but now I'm reading the S Coupe and Cabriolet are going to be discontinued after MY19, and merged with a soft-top, redesigned SL with 2+2 configuration. I have little desire for a drop top, although would accept a hard top, but absolutely no interest in a soft top.

Now I haven't gotten any official confirmation of this, but I've read it in enough places that it might be true. If so, it's very disappointing! I'm keeping an eye out on pre-owned 2018 and new 2019 S Coupes, not ready at this point to order one but if I find a spec I like will try to work a trade, or buy a new one and sell my existing car. It would need to have crystal grey/black or porcelain interior, high end Burmester, Swarovski/NightVision, and CCBs - which eliminates probably all dealer spec'd cars. If none show up will talk to dealer in a few months and see what I can get on a new ordered car.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:47 PM

I’m with you on what the Coupe ought to be. It is still a rumor, and there’s the unknown S73 too. Hopefully MB will share more information. I was hoping for a Coupe based on the this concept car (not a convertible) and with everything you mentioned:

Old 01-07-2019, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

"That was my plan, but now I'm reading the S Coupe and Cabriolet are going to be discontinued after MY19, and merged with a soft-top, redesigned SL with 2+2 configuration."

I have been reading this for the last several years - here and there -

But in every venue where I read this there are no follow-up questions

to get to the answer - bad journalism -

I have been waiting for someone to post up any breaking news

regarding the new SL and its position in the Mercedes / AMG line-up -

My money says that if the new SL replaces the C217 there will be

a Coupe w/ 2+2 ---- might not be the first year or two but there

will be a Coupe w/ 2+2 -

The C217 is The GT (above all others) while the SL is / was a sports car

and a roadster -

When Mercedes intentions are exposed their explanation will be very interesting -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

If you don't like the yellow calipers

then we will install the OEM AMG CCB's -

That is really the best look for the Coupe -

Plan on doing this -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:52 PM

[Lesson Learned - future coupe owners to consider]
Yellow calipers look better than red, but not as good as the CCB's will. And, I won't paint a feature that I don't own. This goes back to a mistake I made when I placed my build order. I should have gone with CCB from the start. As someone suggested a long time ago. I have already replaced the rear break rotors and pads, and now need to do the front ones too. Rather than maintaining my path on the sunk cost fallacy, We'll have the MB dealer order and install CCBs next month.

[Addition on phase 2]
We did not get the lowering module installed at Benchmark. I can't be without my coupe again for a week, so we will look to do that install at Car Toys in Feb, after we install the CCBs at MB of Lynnwood, and prior to leaving it with Joey and Ben from Eastside for the full ceramic coating. I'll post pictures when everything is done and looks the way it ought to look--amazing.

Last edited by Dan_B; 01-16-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Your next box may contain a package of Q-Tips

in the hope the Q-Tips will help you hear what I

am telling you -

All kidding aside -

The CCB's are the smart move - once and done -

No more expensive brake jobs every 20,000 miles -

And as you know it is the best look for the Coupe -

The icing on the cake -

Happy days are coming -

Thank-You
D.B.

Dan_B (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM

:-)++ and indeed!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:53 AM

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by Dan_B
I have both the 2017 and the 2019 S 63 Cabriolet in my garage right now, and I have long ago run out of fingers and toes in counting all of the improvements. I hope to post a long comparison between the two in the next week or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by jbattan:
Dan_B (01-18-2019), thewb (01-18-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:07 PM

We love the wheels we got from David (theweb) which really give the coupe a more mature look. If you haven't worked with David, we highly recommend you do.

1) Ben installed the driver side AMG heel support from DB. It looks GREAT and it is functional too. I find it more comfortable than the OEM carpet. It makes the coupe look even better, and fits well with the added comfort of the beautiful foot stools (one passenger side for my wife; two special small ones for the rear seats). Thank you DB (yet again)

2) Latest upgrade was the LoMo2 lowering module which was installed by COLE from CAR TOYS BELLEVUE. Cole did a great job and the LoMo has +8 and -8 settings. The guys at LoMo were very helpful when it came to getting the install done. Check their site on http://loweringmodule.com . The picture is on setting 0. Note: Coupe needs to be in Park to adjust the settings. Front/Rear setting as well as module on/off are controlled from steering wheel.

3) Some pictures of the Yellow calipers which do indeed look better than red :-) but not as the one Tal, DB, and I love most which arrived at our favorite MB dealer @ Lynnwood because Garrett is always awesome to work with!

4) After the CCB install we are off to Joey and Ben at Eastside for the ceramic coating.

Looking great in cold foggy WA weather

Yellow is nicer than red (DB right again)

We love the new wheels from David (theweb) and the custom AMG inserts

These arrived at our dealer from DE, look better than yellow, and will go on in a couple of weeks
Old 02-04-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 S63 AMG Coupe, Lexus lx570, Infinti fx45, c5 Z06, !990 300zx tt
Thumbs up

Beautiful custom upgrades!
Dan_B (04-17-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM
SPONSOR

Received 243 Likes on 189 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
I think the lowering module improved the looks even more. Can you notice any difference in ride quality? More photos of it lowered please!
Dan_B (04-17-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 PM

Received 116 Likes on 66 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2017 S650 Maybach Convertible, 2020 S560 Sedan, 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I heard the CCBs squeak a lot. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 04-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 S550 coupe and 2018 AMG GTR
any updates on the CCB upgrade?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Lesson learned -

Thank-You
D.B.

Dan_B (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:50 PM

Amen to lesson Learned. CCBs are in a class of their own --Awesome x a lot -- and no future build of mine will exclude them!

Expensive lesson learned but well worth it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: C217 MY17 Upgrades