S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Preparing to dive into the S class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Preparing to dive into the S class

Hey guys I'm new here so please excuse me if I ask questions that have been asked to death. I'm in the army and about to deploy. After looking through a million cars to spend my sweet tax free cash on I decided to enter the world of MB. More specifically the w221 S Class or the various AMG sedans. While I haven't personally owned a luxury sedan my parents have owned probably every make of luxobarge out there so I understand the cost of ownership and upkeep for such a vehicle. I'm looking for something in the 25-30k range 07 and up. My main question is what costs are associated with the various w221 trims and also what features in the w221 are missing from newer vehicles like the 2010s E63 amgs. I currently drive an SRT 300 so I've become a power addict so that's a must on my list but as a single guy I am more interested in the features of the S series over the sheer space so I could be talked into something smaller but equally equipped. Anyways I'm rambling on looking forward to everyone's advice
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
If you want the best you want the s600, which is way faster and more refined than a 300

problem is most s600 look like old man cars esp. the front end . If you are a serious buyer I have a s600 with the s65 appearance package

here is the ad the last time it was sold for $37000
http://www.2040-cars.com/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/2007-mercedes-benz-s600-full-s65-amg-body-kit-supe-860929/

i can sell it even Lower than the low end of your price range
Old 07-15-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't have one yet :(
Originally Posted by djaronunchained
Hey guys I'm new here so please excuse me if I ask questions that have been asked to death. I'm in the army and about to deploy. After looking through a million cars to spend my sweet tax free cash on I decided to enter the world of MB. More specifically the w221 S Class or the various AMG sedans. While I haven't personally owned a luxury sedan my parents have owned probably every make of luxobarge out there so I understand the cost of ownership and upkeep for such a vehicle. I'm looking for something in the 25-30k range 07 and up. My main question is what costs are associated with the various w221 trims and also what features in the w221 are missing from newer vehicles like the 2010s E63 amgs. I currently drive an SRT 300 so I've become a power addict so that's a must on my list but as a single guy I am more interested in the features of the S series over the sheer space so I could be talked into something smaller but equally equipped. Anyways I'm rambling on looking forward to everyone's advice
Hey man! I am new here too, but have been a MB addict since I could crawl lol! I am also purchasing an S class very soon- I was SUPER close to getting an S600, but after tons of research I decided against it. While they are INCREDIBLE cars that can not be touched in terms of luxury, incredible ride, and rocket-like power...the repair costs are a nightmare. So, unless you is rich and ****t (hahah maybe you are?) I would look into the S55 AMG- since they are V8's and have had far more, like WAY more dependability/reliability and FAR less maintenance costs- and still they are VERY fast, the exhaust and engine sound so sexy, and they are a beast to drive. The body kits that come on those are super sleek and add a nice sporty touch. BEsides, there are lots of awesome mods you can do to add more sport looks to the vehicle if ya like. But, unless you are able to drop 4-8 thousand dollars on coil packs, abc issues, etc. that ALWAYS happen to S600's, I would stay away. I have asked the very same question you have before, and everyone, literally everyone told me to run unless I am willing to have the car in the shop once a month and can drop 10-15 thousand a year in repairs--- I can not! HAha! Good luck dude!
Old 07-16-2017, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SClassDreamz
Hey man! I am new here too, but have been a MB addict since I could crawl lol! I am also purchasing an S class very soon- I was SUPER close to getting an S600, but after tons of research I decided against it. While they are INCREDIBLE cars that can not be touched in terms of luxury, incredible ride, and rocket-like power...the repair costs are a nightmare. So, unless you is rich and ****t (hahah maybe you are?) I would look into the S55 AMG- since they are V8's and have had far more, like WAY more dependability/reliability and FAR less maintenance costs- and still they are VERY fast, the exhaust and engine sound so sexy, and they are a beast to drive. The body kits that come on those are super sleek and add a nice sporty touch. BEsides, there are lots of awesome mods you can do to add more sport looks to the vehicle if ya like. But, unless you are able to drop 4-8 thousand dollars on coil packs, abc issues, etc. that ALWAYS happen to S600's, I would stay away. I have asked the very same question you have before, and everyone, literally everyone told me to run unless I am willing to have the car in the shop once a month and can drop 10-15 thousand a year in repairs--- I can not! HAha! Good luck dude!
Same here I wanted a S600 for years, but when I researched the potential maintenance costs made me choose another route. Just changing the spark plugs is a very costly task.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by Nuru
Same here I wanted a S600 for years, but when I researched the potential maintenance costs made me choose another route. Just changing the spark plugs is a very costly task.
Yeah, but you only have to do it once every 100k miles.

Nick
Old 07-16-2017, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Yeah, but you only have to do it once every 100k miles.

Nick
Incorrect. On the S600, it's every 5 years or 60k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Nuru (07-18-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Not according to NGK.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Not according to NGK.
So NGK now trumps MB?

Nuru (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
S550
S class costs

I'm on my 4th s class (2000 s430, 2007/10/11 s550). All were bought used through local dealers, and I think the 550's were all lease returns. All the cars did well-- no ugly surprises. I usually paid cash for the $30k to $45k cars. I, now, put the cost of ownership at about $1,000/month. Most of the cost is depreciation ($800/mo), and the rest is tires + regular service. I don't figure in insurance or gas. I try to trade in at 90,000 miles and tend to drive about 20k/yr.

I spent some repair money on the s430, but I kept it longer. If I were younger and liked sporty feeling vehicles, I'd probably go with an e class or even c class with an amg engine. I'd get a newer, fresher car with more updated infotainment for the same money. If you get an s class and start to add amg wheels or exhaust, you'll lose some of the super quiet, super smooth feel, so you might as well get a newer e class amg. It will be lighter, quicker feeling and cheaper to own.

Just my thoughts.
Nuru (07-18-2017)