E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

What all work to be done except services on my 82,000 Kms driven E250 2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250 Facelift 2013
What all work to be done except services on my 82,000 Kms driven E250 2014

Few months back I picked a Merc E250 2014 which was 77,000 Kms now its 82,000 Kms. I am new to Merc, So can anyone help me with what all work should be done on car at this mileage 82,000 kms. Like what all is due at these kilometers? Except the service.
And any special points or things to specially take care of
Thankyou!!
Old 08-09-2024, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,430 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
maintenance 101

Originally Posted by Spruze
Few months back I picked a Merc E250 2014 which was 77,000 Kms now its 82,000 Kms.
I am new to Merc, So can anyone help me with what all work should be done on car at this mileage 82,000 kms. Like what all is due at these kilometers?
Except the service.
And any special points or things to specially take care of
Thankyou!!
-- You can start replacing ALL the front suspension parts. Don't bother "aligning" loose bushings and bearings.

-- Brakes need regular attention, nothing too extraordinary: disks + pads + springs + Dot4+ silicone slide lube.
Strong calipers springs cause uneven pad wear when caliper is unable to slide over siliconed pins. Buy $10 OE replacements...

-- Blu/Ylw Coolant needs replacement including radiator itself starts leaking. Thermostat.

-- Serpentine belt idler bearings go dry and tensioner gets ineffective. Buy the whole kit at once.

-- Main GND strap exposed under the car gets unreliable and best needs to be doubled up and cleaned.

-- Familiarize yourself with 40+ chassis modules using a good MB compatible scanner. Plenty of issues to troubleshoot.

-- Use high temp engine RTV Silicone to seal all electrical connectors that will leak water straight into your precious modules.

-- Replace engine oil at 5000.Mi mark....
MB ORM tranny ATF 40 to 60kMi
Differential/4Matic lubricant

-- Replace engine PCVent breather

--Replave cabin air filter before blower ballast cooks off

The following users liked this post:
BenzV12 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 11:36 PM

Received 292 Likes on 206 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
DO NOT HAVE to replace all front suspension parts. At 50k miles basically that is a little extreme. My E250 at 100k miles I replaced alot of front suspension and the only thing that actually needed it was the struts and rear shocks. Now a 10yr old car I would be more concerned about hoses and plastic pars and what not and a couple of the other things mentioned above.

What engine ya got in it?
DubVBenz (08-12-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 01:27 AM

E250 Facelift 2013
Originally Posted by Quint22
DO NOT HAVE to replace all front suspension parts. At 50k miles basically that is a little extreme. My E250 at 100k miles I replaced alot of front suspension and the only thing that actually needed it was the struts and rear shocks. Now a 10yr old car I would be more concerned about hoses and plastic pars and what not and a couple of the other things mentioned above.

Engine is OM651.924
Actually, I am new to Mercedes. So, I don’t have much idea, can you please elaborate the things and parts that need to be replaced/cleaned/ lubricated in the whole car and which grease or sprays to be used.
Thankyou all!
Old 08-11-2024, 01:34 AM

E250 Facelift 2013

I recently had a look at the Sway bar link rod end and found that upper ball joint is kinda worn out and needs replacement.
Old 08-11-2024, 03:11 AM

E250 Facelift 2013
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
-- You can start replacing ALL the front suspension parts. Don't bother "aligning" loose bushings and bearings.

-- Brakes need regular attention, nothing too extraordinary: disks + pads + springs + Dot4+ silicone slide lube.
Strong calipers springs cause uneven pad wear when caliper is unable to slide over siliconed pins. Buy $10 OE replacements...

-- Blu/Ylw Coolant needs replacement including radiator itself starts leaking. Thermostat.

-- Serpentine belt idler bearings go dry and tensioner gets ineffective. Buy the whole kit at once.

-- Main GND strap exposed under the car gets unreliable and best needs to be doubled up and cleaned.

-- Familiarize yourself with 40+ chassis modules using a good MB compatible scanner. Plenty of issues to troubleshoot.

-- Use high temp engine RTV Silicone to seal all electrical connectors that will leak water straight into your precious modules.

-- Replace engine oil at 5000.Mi mark....
MB ORM tranny ATF 40 to 60kMi
Differential/4Matic lubricant

-- Replace engine PCVent breather

--Replave cabin air filter before blower ballast cooks off

Thankyou so much for your time and in detail answer !!
Old 08-11-2024, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

front + rear end maintenance

I recently had a look at the Sway bar link rod end and found that upper ball joint is kinda worn out and needs replacement.
These front stab links are designed more sturdy than the rear ones... have you noticed how your car boucing increasingly from side to side ?

-- Change BOTH the rear stab links as well as the front.
This is super easy and cheap.

This will give you a close-up view of your brake pad wear status.

this caliper spring being WAY TOO STRONG causes...

factory pads worn unevenly by non-sliding caliper

The outcome is spongy brakes sensation instead of a good proportional braking force (regardless of good rotor, pads, siliconed slides).

> Calipers Not floating : OUTER vs. INNER pads...
-- See how outer pads are like new and inner pads are down from doing all the work?

-- Both F/R calipers uses a spring that prevents them from braking normally.

-- You can replace new pads and ignore the pad unevenness issue
or you can make this work well better than factory new.

The braking forces need to be balanced on both sides of the rotors by the free floating calipers. Defective factory springs prevent calipers from braking normally well. $10 springs fixes that.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-11-2024 at 03:43 PM.
WRC-LVR (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 03:28 PM

E250 Facelift 2013
These front stab links are designed more sturdy than the rear ones... have you noticed how your car boucing increasingly from side to side ?

-- Change BOTH the rear stab links as well as the front.
This is super easy and cheap.

This will give you a close-up view of your brake pad wear status.

*** pics here***

-- See how outer pads are like new and inner pads are down doing all the work?

-- The F/R calipers uses a spring that prevents them from braking normally.

The braking forces need to be balanced on both sides of the rotors by the free floating calipers. Defective factory springs prevent calipers from braking normally well. $10 springs fixes that.
Didn’t got these points!

*** pics here***

-- See how outer pads are like new and inner pads are down doing all the work?

-- The F/R calipers uses a spring that prevents them from braking normally.

Old 08-11-2024, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

experimental fix for great brakes

Didn’t got these points!

*** pics here***
Sorry I was fetching these pictures for ya.

uneven wear.... equals spongy braking

When you're working on your own gear you get to solve genuine factory issues that otherwise would be left untouched.

Here it's the caliper spring used to mess up perfectly good rotor/pads. Ouch TRW !!

springs are over bent with multiple angles
  • ​​​​​​section 1 and 2 is the normal working spring.
  • section 2 and 3 should be bent flat
  • true for both end of each 4x spring.

reworked spring has no "section 2" segment

There is still plenty of springiness left to act as anti-rattle. There is a proper balance between too much spring and not enough spring.

> OUTCOME:
Calipers are now sliding easily to split forces equally between pads.

Now I have strong proportional brakes with a shorter pedal!

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-11-2024 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2024, 04:15 PM

E250 Facelift 2013
Sorry I was fetching these pictures for ya.

uneven wear.... equals spongy braking

When you're working on your own gear you get to solve genuine factory issues that otherwise would be left untouched.

Here it's the caliper spring used to mess up perfectly good rotor/pads. Ouch TRW !!

springs are over bent with multiple angles

​​​​​​section 1 and 2 is the normal working spring.
section 2 and 3 should be bent flat
true for both end of each 4x spring.

Outcome:
calipers are able to slide easily to split forces equally between pads.

Great brakes now!
Oh! Thanks, I’ll have a look at this when I’ll change the link rods. Though, few days back I checked the brake pads which were almost new installed by the previous owner. Anyway, can you help me with one issue and that is when I change the gear from N to D or D to R or from P to D/R there’s a loud creaky noise like it can be heard by standing near the car outside and it only happens when I release the brakes slowly to let the car start moving or while changing gears. One thing is sure it’s related to brakes. I read online some people say it’s normal and even merc says it normal some say it’s abnormal. The pads are branded and new since 1 year installed and rotors were also skimmed year back. The noise never went away. It justs get less (the noise) when the car is driven few miles. But it’s just present while releasing the brakes slowly and changing gears.

Last edited by Spruze; 08-11-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2024, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rear pads... contactless?

Oh! Thanks, I’ll have a look at this when I’ll change the link rods. Though, few days back I checked the brake pads which were almost new installed by the previous owner. Anyway, can you help me with one issue and that is when I change the gear from N to D or D to R or from P to D/R there’s a loud creaky noise like it can be heard by standing near the car outside and it only happens when I release the brakes slowly to let the car start moving or while changing gears. One thing is sure it’s related to brakes. I read online some people say it’s normal and even merc says it normal some say it’s abnormal. The pads are branded and new since 1 year installed and rotors were also skimmed year back. The noise never went away. It justs get less (the noise) when the car is driven few miles. But it’s just present while releasing the brakes slowly and changing gears.
at first I was thinking propeller shaft bearing but you say brakes only...
then I guess these are the pads reversing contact surface between Forward and Reverse direction.

To work the pads need to contact a butting surface that's going to rest the pads to work.

THIS BRINGS ANOTHER BRAKE ISSUE with GENUINE MERCEDES REAR PADS:

The inner pad PISTON SPRING keeps pad from contacting resting surface... equal poor spongy rear brakes (besides caliper spring shown earlier).

piston side inner pad ... contactless (rear driver side)
Silvery outer pad working well
Black inner pad unable to work well

rear passenger side.... also contactless

> What does it mean...
-- the inner pad is torquing the caliper piston sideway with braking forces

-- pad is unable to go contact resting surface on caliper bracket.

-- Poor spongy brakes!

> 5mn Fix:
Simply bias the piston spring forward such that the pad can go contact bracket stop without torquing the piston that's not going to let in any air bubles.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-11-2024 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2024, 04:37 PM

E250 Facelift 2013
at first I was thinking propeller shaft bearing but you say brakes only...
then I guess these are the pads reversing contact surface between Forward and Reverse.

To work the pads need to contact a butting surface that's going to rest the pads to work.
THIS BRINGS ANOTHER ISSUE GENUINE MERCEDES REAR PADS:

The inner pad piston spring keeps pad from contacting resting surface... equal poor spongy rear brakes.

**** pics here ****
this same to same noise
Even the person in video is shifting the gears I think and then this noise can be heard
Old 08-11-2024, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

metallic sound... BJ's

this same to same noise
https://youtu.be/U2pq539Ni3Y?feature=shared
Even the person in video is shifting the gears I think and then this noise can be heard
that metallic sound like brakes being applied and released... not so much reverse/forward clunking pads.

there is no traveling motion so not pad rubbing on disks... not propeller with out any motion.

+++ Stab link or Lower Ball Joint are good candidates

ball joints create looseness to get replaced

Very few parts make up our Macpherson set-up. It's pretty basic!

-- To regain a good steering control at 55MPH, replace one part after another or ALL at once.
Your call:
When one part is loose it strains the next one that need to handle more forces than nomal.

Don't bother getting wheel alignments for loose parts.

> DIY PREFERENCE:
The "all at once" combined maintenance is a more effective SHOTGUN STYLE to maintain these cars.

[Gasoline GDI]: 50kMi spark plug + boots (+ coils) + intake seals + air filter + Leaky CPS + pigtails .... do you get the idea of combining DIY jobs?

You save your time not duplicating steps many times over.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 08-11-2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 07:11 PM

Received 292 Likes on 206 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Be sure and do a good inspection or have a independent do a good inspection.

Ive got the OM651 in mine with 4matic so on mine atleast front end parts are a little different then what Cali showed.

That sway bar link is toast or getting there if its got a cracked boot, those are easy to change. The control arms are pain the first time. It all depends on what ya want to do with it or how you want to approach it I guess.
Old 08-12-2024, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 144 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0

Yea, seriously? Replace the entire suspension wear parts at 80K?!? My 62K E400 might as well be brand new at this point