SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Rattling sun visor - can it be fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Rattling sun visor - can it be fixed

I have a rattle inside my drivers sun visor that is driving me nuts. Is there a way to get inside the visor to fix it?
RRV
Old 04-11-2009, 12:54 PM

2006 Aston Martin Vantage
Did you check the mirror and mirror flap and see if they are secure (no broken bits which lodged itself in the mirror piece)? A bulb could also be loose. As for removing the visor, I think you can just unscrew the screws at the hinge to inspect the problem better. I would be careful around the mirror piece since I believe it is glued into the visor.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM

2003 SL500
Rattle in visor

Thanks for the suggestions? How do you get to the bulbs?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:59 PM

I can't offer any first hand advise since I have never attempted to remove the mirror casing (let alone use the mirror at all) but according to this post:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ml#post3203138

you can pop it out with a sharp edge. The encasing may be wired to the visor so don't yank it out. (In a '86 420SEL, the encasing is glued to the visor and there is a short length of wire connecting the encasing to the visor, for power.)
Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I had a similar problem with my visor, but it was not the bulbs. The first time it happened the dealer replaced the visor under the CPO warranty, but it happened again. The visor pivots on the retaining arm and is designed so that it can be pulled further out on the retaining arm to extend the reach for use on the side window. But, on my car at least, it turned out that the "looseness" that allowed the visor to slide later allowed it to rattle as well. I put a small piece of vinyl tape on the arm which increased the friction and greatly reduced the rattling (over big bumps it still does).

You can check this easily - hold the visor up against the windscreen top rail with your hand a drive over a rough section of road. If the rattle goes away, this is your problem. If not, there may be something loose inside such as the bulbs or other bits. BTW, it should rattle a lot less with the hard top on because the structural rigidity of the top greatly reduces the cowl shake in the car.

Good luck.

- FD
Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 PM

2003 SL500
tell me more about the vinyl tape and exactly where you put it please
RRV
Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rocco Vespe
tell me more about the vinyl tape and exactly where you put it please
RRV
From what I read, most electric tapes are made of vinyl so you could use that. As for the position, I am guessing the ends of the arm (around the elbow near the screws and at the very end when the visor is fully extended). I would probably try putting tape on the end of the arm (when visor is extended) first. I would be careful not to put too much tape and make sure it is secure. It would suck if the tape were to fall off while in the visor.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:59 AM

1995 SL 320
visor rattle

I have repaired both of my visors because of annoying rattles.It turned out to be broken small plastic pieces inside of the mirror units.You pop out the mirror unit with a plastic wedge stating at the top of the mirror insert.It is held in by 2 metal clips which don't break.Then shake the mirror gently and listen for noise.If you hear little pieces inside just open it up and clean it up.If it is solid,then the little pieces are inside under the bottom bulb section.That is where mine were.I used a small phillips head screwdriver and carefully removed the underneath section.2 small plastic pieces fell out.I put it back together and now my visors are quiet.If you visors vibrate a lot then retighten the support screws at the inside corners and the buy new holder switches that the visor snaps into.The metal clips inside get worn down and the visor actually vibrates when you drive.A new switch holds the outside end of the visor firm with no rattles.BTY MB does sell just the mirror units by themselves that snap in if you ever open them too hard and you break the plastic tab that operates the switch.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 SL500
Originally Posted by Rocco Vespe
I have a rattle inside my drivers sun visor that is driving me nuts. Is there a way to get inside the visor to fix it?
RRV
Please see R129 Vanity Mirror