SL/R230: Recommendation on Cleaning Chrome Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Recommendation on Cleaning Chrome Exhaust

Can anyone give me any recommendations on a specific product to use to clean the chrome exhaust tips on our cars.

If anyone has discovered a technique which makes cleaning them easier, please let me know that too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Thumbs up Can't believe you asked this...

Originally Posted by StephenK
Can anyone give me any recommendations on a specific product to use to clean the chrome exhaust tips on our cars.

If anyone has discovered a technique which makes cleaning them easier, please let me know that too.

Thanks in advance.
Sometimes the timing of your questions scare me. Must be great minds thinking alike. Given Tiggerfink's comments about the chrome tips I spent about an hour cleaning my exhaust tips today.

The outside was pretty easy to clean. It actually came clean with with just the regular washing.

What took all the time was the cleaning of the edge of the outer chrome tip and then I actually cleaned the inner section. I found that the first 2 to 3 inches of the inner section is actually chromed too and has the same finish as the outside. This took some elbow grease.

I used this product from Pro that is a wheel and chrome cleaner. I just kept rubbing and rubbing until all the dirt came off and it was perfectly clean and all looked like bright chrome.

I swear my chrome exhaust tips never looked so good.

While I was kinda under the car cleaning the underside of the chrome tips I figured hey, why not clean all the black underside hard plastic that covers the underneath of the car. Did that too, not that anyone will ever see it.

What we do to our cars. It is good that we keep these things to ourselves. Hate for anyone outside of the forum to know I spent another hour cleaning the underside of my car today.

They just might send the guys with the white jackets.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 04-03-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Definitely a case of a little and often. I clean the exhaust tips every time I wash the car because the longer you leave them, the more difficult they are to clean.

As Lovin' says, simple washing does the job. For more stubborn marks, very fine wire wool soaked in car shampoo is good. Don't use it dry and wear gloves!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
Sometimes the timing of your questions scare me. Must be great minds thinking alike. Given Tiggerfink's comments about the chrome tips I spent about an hour cleaning my exhaust tips today.

The outside was pretty easy to clean. It actually came clean with with just the regular washing.

What took all the time was the cleaning of the edge of the outer chrome tip and then I actually cleaned the inner section. I found that the first 2 to 3 inches of the inner section is actually chromed too and has the same finish as the outside. This took some elbow grease.

I used this product from Pro that is a wheel and chrome cleaner. I just kept rubbing and rubbing until all the dirt came off and it was perfectly clean and all looked like bright chrome.

I swear my chrome exhaust tips never looked so good.

While I was kinda under the car cleaning the underside of the chrome tips I figured hey, why not clean all the black underside hard plastic that covers the underneath of the car. Did that too, not that anyone will ever see it.

What we do to our cars. It is good that we keep these things to ourselves. Hate for anyone outside of the forum to know I spent another hour cleaning the underside of my car today.

They just might send the guys with the white jackets.
You mean eveyone doesn't clean the undercarriage every time they wash the car? When the guys come for the white jackets with the long sleeves have them drop off a 42 regular.

Lou K
Old 04-04-2005, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I started to, but my wife and her friends were laughing at me. One said; I wish my husband would fondle me as much as you fondle your cars.

I think my wife’s friend need some sex. Some of the ladies wish they were cars.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500, 74 Harley FL, 08 Yukon Denali
I've used Blue Magic - Metal Polish Cream for years on rims, exhausts, the Harley, it works great on chrome, aluminum, stainless...
Old 04-06-2005, 05:33 PM

SL500 '05
Will a slightly abrasive polish damage the tips in time?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
It's clearly the best idea to use the least invasive cleaning technique at all times, which is why washing the exhaust tips should be part of your regular maintenance. However, if you've let them go, more agressive cleaning is justified to bring them back, after which the mantra of "a little and often" applies.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:56 PM

SL500 '05
Thanks BlueSL
I always wash them, however, they still get grit and tar on them. I polish them with Autoglym but they still have tarnish marks that the polish won't shift.
I'll try some metal polish the weekend and let you know how it works.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Don't think Autoglym will touch them, as you're in the UK, I'd mention I use "brillo" pads, soaked in water, works fine, but only do as much as you need to.