SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Interior dome lighting unit help....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interior dome lighting unit help....

How the hell do you take the light covers off to get to the light bulbs or does the unit come out as a whole to access it?

The lights underneth the mirror are a pop out type with a small screw driver right? And also how do you access the footwell light bulbs as well?

Im changing the interior lighting to brighter ones. I know a few people have done it but forgot who did or I would have PM'd you.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2006, 04:15 PM

Does anyone know???
Old 10-27-2006, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by johnny5
How the hell do you take the light covers off to get to the light bulbs or does the unit come out as a whole to access it?

The lights underneth the mirror are a pop out type with a small screw driver right? And also how do you access the footwell light bulbs as well?

Im changing the interior lighting to brighter ones. I know a few people have done it but forgot who did or I would have PM'd you.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
The whole unit comes off and the lights bulbs are accessed through the top.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
The whole unit comes off and the lights bulbs are accessed through the top.
Thats what I was thinking but when I was pulling on it I really dont want to break it so I kind of left it as is. Do you know how it comes off? Am I supposed to pull on one side? Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats what I was thinking but when I was pulling on it I really dont want to break it so I kind of left it as is. Do you know how it comes off? Am I supposed to pull on one side? Thanks for the heads up.
They are all different, which one specifically are you talking about.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM

They are all different, which one specifically are you talking about.

Im trying to get to the two dome bulbs above the rear view mirror. Im just not sure if the clear plastic pieces comes off seperately or if the whole unit. Like you stated before its the whole unit and was told that as well.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Im trying to get to the two dome bulbs above the rear view mirror. Im just not sure if the clear plastic pieces comes off seperately or if the whole unit. Like you stated before its the whole unit and was told that as well.
These dome bulbs are behind the unit and it is a single unit. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get this unit off.

This is how a MB mechaninc who does it correctly would do it from my own personal observations and experiences.

There is a white plastic MB tool that is curved at the end and thin. It is basically used to pry the unit away from the leather so it can be pulled down. This tool works because it is a soft yet hard plastic that if used correctly does snot mar the leather.

Basically, this tool is put in between the unit and the leather in the front. It is used to gently pry the light ficture away enough so you can get your fingers in there and the pull it down from the front and then around to the sides as evenly as possible. It is held on by metal pressure clips that will release when you pull down on it.

This is how my 2003, 2004 and 2005 units came off. I, of course make no guarantees of this so if you screw it up...don't come lookin here. lol

For reference, a picture of the tool used when I watched them is below. I bought one from the parts department and it has been rather handy.
Attached Thumbnails Interior dome lighting unit help....-mb-tool.jpg  
Old 10-30-2006, 08:26 PM

These dome bulbs are behind the unit and it is a single unit. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get this unit off.

This is how a MB mechaninc who does it correctly would do it from my own personal observations and experiences.

There is a white plastic MB tool that is curved at the end and thin. It is basically used to pry the unit away from the leather so it can be pulled down. This tool works because it is a soft yet hard plastic that if used correctly does snot mar the leather.

Basically, this tool is put in between the unit and the leather in the front. It is used to gently pry the light ficture away enough so you can get your fingers in there and the pull it down from the front and then around to the sides as evenly as possible. It is held on by metal pressure clips that will release when you pull down on it.

This is how my 2003, 2004 and 2005 units came off. I, of course make no guarantees of this so if you screw it up...don't come lookin here. lol

For reference, a picture of the tool used when I watched them is below. I bought one from the parts department and it has been rather handy.

Your from San Francisco right? Want to help me do it next time Im in the city. And dont worry no one to blame other than myself. I'd rather have someone who's done it before help me for the first time you know.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your from San Francisco right? Want to help me do it next time Im in the city. And dont worry no one to blame other than myself. I'd rather have someone who's done it before help me for the first time you know.
Unfortunately, I am outside of San Francisco about 40 minutes east. Where are you?

PM me.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Unfortunately, I am outside of San Francisco about 40 minutes east. Where are you?

PM me.

PM sent
Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 PM

10 R8 4.2 ,11 E350, 03 SL55 SOLD, 02 M3 SOLD, 95 NSX SOLD
dome light

Did anyone know or figure this out? Does the dome light come off as a whole? Or can you just take off the cover? Does anyone have instructions for changing out the light bulbs? thanks a bunch.