SL/R230: SL 500 exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
SL 500 exhaust

Looking for a way to get better sound/performance from my exhaust...I've searched some of the old threads and seems like straight piping is an option...by this do they mean remove the middle mufler/resonator and replace that with a piece of straight pipe OR replace the rear muffler(s) closest to the tips with a straight pipe? Anyone have any pictures of how they did theirs? Also if you remove the resonators but keep the rear mufflers will the car still pass emissions and inspection? (I'm in MD)

I looked into tips as well, seems like all the dual style tips and rear mufler combos including 83mm quad Eisenman, Brabus, Superprint, and factory SL55 AMG all require rear bumper cover modification for installing on an SL500 (or getting the SL55 rear skirt)...is the SL55 rear skirt a whole new bumper cover or is it just an apron lower piece with the black mesh? I'm looking for a body shop in my area which can do this work and do a good job with it...some body shops wont do it.

Alternatively there are exhausts (seems like just mufflers and tips combos instead of a full cat back like on other cars) which are very expensive for the SL500...any idea on which ones, if any, are best value...I'd like to do dual tips if possible, I also thought about replacing the rear mufflers with a generic very high flow rear muffler like a Borla, flowmaster, or Magnaflow for much less restrictiveness...anyone done this before (the factory rear mufflers are kinda an odd shape to fit in the area they're in? even if I did thes I'd still have to do something with the tips and if I went with quads we're back to the bumper cover issue again...

Thanks for the help
Old 05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Sunir
1) when you straight piped your car, did you replace the middle resonators with striaght pipes?

2) how about your mufflers and tailpipe tips...you have quads, did you need to modify your rear bumper to fit those...who makes that quad setup? What did you end up doing for mufflers?
There are no resonators on the SL500, only mufflers, post and pre cats. I took out the mufflers/stock tips and had quads put in.

I did this at AAA Mufflers in LA, call and talk to Pepe, he is the **** when it comes to exhaust work

2600 S La Cienega Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90034

(310) 839-2443

3) your tail lights...very very nice...I have an '03 so mine are red, can I get them smoked like yours, if so how?

4) I'm thinking about adjustable lowering links to lower my car...what did you use...

You definately know how to make this car look good..I'm a newbie hoping to learn some stuff, any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks man
My stock tail lights were all red like yours, you can definitely get the same look. I had my car lowered on links. I had it all done at Harbor Motor Sports. Call them and speak to Edison or Jon, they will get your ride looking killer

1021 N Harbor Blvd
Santa Ana, CA 92703

(714) 265-0010

Thanks and good luck, look forward to seeing your SL, post some pics btw.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Murtaza, what kind of quad exhausts did you use? SL55 mufflers? You had to cut the bumper to fit them? Could you post some pics of your exhausts please
Old 05-17-2008, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Murtaza, what kind of quad exhausts did you use? SL55 mufflers? You had to cut the bumper to fit them? Could you post some pics of your exhausts please
Here's a pic, I really need some new ones, have the 07 facelift front bumper, new wheels and more low now

I didn't have to cut the bumper, the tips I bought were some tips he (Pepe)happened to have.

My mufflers look something like this...

Old 05-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Murtaza`s SL500 sounds bad azz.

The SL55 Skirt/Bumper Cover are all one piece.
The cutouts are much larger for the Quad Exhaust on the AMG.
New about $ 1300.00. Difficult to find used.

I am trying to stay stealth with my SL55.
But the Eisenmann is tempting.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by bltserv
Murtaza`s SL500 sounds bad azz.

The SL55 Skirt/Bumper Cover are all one piece.
The cutouts are much larger for the Quad Exhaust on the AMG.
New about $ 1300.00. Difficult to find used.

I am trying to stay stealth with my SL55.
But the Eisenmann is tempting.
Yours sounds bad *** stock Bill

I remember speaking to Vadim at VRP a while back about effective exhaust solutions for the 55s, he voted for xpiping the resonators while removng some of the aluminum baffles from the mufflers. A lot cheaper then Eisenmann to
Old 05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Murtaza
There are no resonators on the SL500, only mufflers, post and pre cats. I took out the mufflers/stock tips and had quads put in.

I did this at AAA Mufflers in LA, call and talk to Pepe, he is the **** when it comes to exhaust work

2600 S La Cienega Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90034

(310) 839-2443

My stock tail lights were all red like yours, you can definitely get the same look. I had my car lowered on links. I had it all done at Harbor Motor Sports. Call them and speak to Edison or Jon, they will get your ride looking killer

1021 N Harbor Blvd
Santa Ana, CA 92703

(714) 265-0010

Thanks for the info Murtaza...only one problem, I live in Maryland which is clear across the country. You think removing the pre-cat mufflers makes a difference (would you pass emmisions/inspection with that out?) the post cat mufflers I'm assuming are the ones with the tips attached to them near the rear wheels? You'd need these to pass emmsion/inspection also, right. I'll call your chops, maybe they can refer me to someone out here or give me some advice...thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Thanks for the info Murtaza...only one problem, I live in Maryland which is clear across the country. You think removing the pre-cat mufflers makes a difference (would you pass emmisions/inspection with that out?) the post cat mufflers I'm assuming are the ones with the tips attached to them near the rear wheels? You'd need these to pass emmsion/inspection also, right. I'll call your chops, maybe they can refer me to someone out here or give me some advice...thanks
Maryland...missed that small detail

Removing the 2ndary catalysts will get you a little bit more sound, that was actually the first thing I did with my exhaust. Here is a video to give you an idea...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JagZ1x-xC94

I don't think you would pass emissions after removing them

If you remove the mufflers (big ones near tips) you will pass emissions as they are only for sound suppression.

Here is how it will sound without mufflers...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K6hF1IgThWg
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 PM

2005 sl500
Smile Exaust

2600 S La Cienega Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90034

(310) 839-2443

1021 N Harbor Blvd
Santa Ana, CA 92703

(714) 265-0010

Hey guys,new to the site. I found a shop to remove my mufflers and do straight pipes, any important details I should know about before I have this done? Is it worth it? will it give it more thunder?
Attached Thumbnails SL 500 exhaust-sl500-005.jpg   SL 500 exhaust-sl500-004.jpg  
Old 05-20-2008, 02:09 AM

Mercedes-Benz SL 500
So the easiest and safest work to do is removing mufflers near tips?
In EU emission test is very strict, so I guess catalyst removing doesn't pass at this moment...

Does any one have pics of exactly what it should be removed and done in the right way, for removing mufflers, because in Lithuania, I'll be probably the first one doing that
Old 05-20-2008, 05:06 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
hey murtaza, whats up!

i want to be clear on this as well. if i just remove the mufflers right before the tail pipes my sl500 will sound like the 2nd video you posted? i plan to do this soon. thanks
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by Artyi
So the easiest and safest work to do is removing mufflers near tips?
In EU emission test is very strict, so I guess catalyst removing doesn't pass at this moment...

Does any one have pics of exactly what it should be removed and done in the right way, for removing mufflers, because in Lithuania, I'll be probably the first one doing that
Any shop will know what the mufflers are.

They are the big boxy things near the tips in this picture, yours wont look like this but you get the idea...

Originally Posted by gqa
hey murtaza, whats up!

i want to be clear on this as well. if i just remove the mufflers right before the tail pipes my sl500 will sound like the 2nd video you posted? i plan to do this soon. thanks
Yep, btw your SL is clean
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
Yep, btw your SL is clean
thanks to you! i got the xenon fogs and wheels from harbor motor sports
Old 05-21-2008, 02:33 AM

Mercedes-Benz SL 500
Thanks, Murtaza!

Your SL is done great... Mine is far away from that..
Old 05-28-2008, 11:57 PM

E500(Sold), SL500(Sold), C350(Sold), ML350, SL65
Hey this what mind look like they're remus...sound good check out the link,

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/222406-wtb-eisenmann-exhaust-sl500-r230.html

Last edited by geeaccord; 05-29-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:31 PM

Exclamation Clarification Please

Murtaza,
Is the second video with the secondary catalyst and mufflers removed or did you reinstalled the secondaries?
I'm interested in removing just the mufflers and installing straight double tips, but leaving the catalysts and was wondering about the sound level with that setup.
Thanks,
John.