SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL600 mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 SL600
Well, the dyno is done. I'm pretty happy with the results. RWHP went from 453 to 503. RWTO went from 530 to 680! 680? Are you kidding me? Like I can apply any of that to the pavement initially. But, that certainly explains the get up and go I noticed when I'm hitting it at highway speeds.

The before/after chart is attached. I may even do another run in a few months when it is cooler. Not that I'm unhappy, but the conditions certainly weren't the same today, so it's not totally apples to apples. Last time, it was 80 and the pulls were done quickly. This time, it was 90+ outside. Also, there were some problems the first 10 minutes where the car didn't really seem to be in dyno mode. And finally, they did the first real pull in 3rd instead of 4th. The car was definitely running hot, you could hear the tires sticking to the machine once it was time to roll it off.

Once I don't mind shutting the car down for a couple of weeks (winter), I'm guessing the LSD is next. But, now it's time to plan a September run up to New Hampshire and see how she fares in the 1/4 mile.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sl600_kleemann1.pdf (51.1 KB, 317 views)
Old 09-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL600
Thanks for the results, you are right not bad results, sort of where you figured they might be, heat soak is so severe on these cars, I think you left quite a bit on the table as far as HP numbers, but that is only a guess. Look forward to hearing the results of the 1/4 mile trip.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by metalica_23
Well, the dyno is done. I'm pretty happy with the results. RWHP went from 453 to 503. RWTO went from 530 to 680! 680? Are you kidding me? Like I can apply any of that to the pavement initially. But, that certainly explains the get up and go I noticed when I'm hitting it at highway speeds.

The before/after chart is attached. I may even do another run in a few months when it is cooler. Not that I'm unhappy, but the conditions certainly weren't the same today, so it's not totally apples to apples. Last time, it was 80 and the pulls were done quickly. This time, it was 90+ outside. Also, there were some problems the first 10 minutes where the car didn't really seem to be in dyno mode. And finally, they did the first real pull in 3rd instead of 4th. The car was definitely running hot, you could hear the tires sticking to the machine once it was time to roll it off.

Once I don't mind shutting the car down for a couple of weeks (winter), I'm guessing the LSD is next. But, now it's time to plan a September run up to New Hampshire and see how she fares in the 1/4 mile.
From 530 RWTO You gained 150 RWTO!!

Holy Mother of Gawd!! 680 rwto! on a Dynodynamics no less, aren't Dynojet's readings even higher? I'm getting confused, Vadim said he had to drop the rwto to 590'ish
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Sean: I am limiting TQ down low in order to keep traction. Anything over 600RWHTQ and the rear tires go up in smoke
on their Powerchip ECU....????

Are you having any drivability issues?

Your 680 rwto converts to a C--- hair under 830 Crank torque! it seems the Holy Grail of RWTO actually exists, and these results aren't just Dyno queens..

Were talking about 90 rwto more, (I realize the TCU tune releases another 35-40 rwto) but that still leaves another 50 odd rwto on the table over Powerchip ECU, maybe this can be had from Vadim's ECU while using there 93-94 tune & running higher octane?

What octane rating is your Kleemann tune set @ ?? 91 super or 93-94?

Sorry bout all the Q's but I'm about to pull the trigger on ECU/TCU from VRP, I just wanna know which tune gives the best results, I'm partial to VRP/Vadim due to there success w/E55's locale & overall presence on this forum.

BTW congratz!

Last edited by Thericker; 09-04-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Metalica_23:

Thanks for posting up your dyno sheets. The numbers look pretty good, especially the torque.

Tom
Old 09-04-2008, 10:30 PM

'06 SL600
Originally Posted by Thericker
From 530 RWTO You gained 150 RWTO!!

Holy Mother of Gawd!! 680 rwto! on a Dynodynamics no less, aren't Dynojet's readings even higher? I'm getting confused, Vadim said he had to drop the rwto to 590'ish on their Powerchip ECU....????

Are you having any drivability issues?

Your 680 rwto converts to a C--- hair under 830 Crank torque! it seems the Holy Grail of RWTO actually exists, and these results aren't just Dyno queens..

Were talking about 90 rwto more, (I realize the TCU tune releases another 35-40 rwto) but that still leaves another 50 odd rwto on the table over Powerchip ECU, maybe this can be had from Vadim's ECU while using there 93-94 tune & running higher octane?

What octane rating is your Kleemann tune set @ ?? 91 super or 93-94?

Sorry bout all the Q's but I'm about to pull the trigger on ECU/TCU from VRP, I just wanna know which tune gives the best results, I'm partial to VRP/Vadim due to there success w/E55's locale & overall presence on this forum.

BTW congratz!
Let me try to go through these.

1.) Yeah, when the tech said "holy ****" after the pull, I knew it was something good. Of course, they mostly work on subaru's and light weight race cars, so they're not seeing a lot of torque typically. Having said that, they had a stock '07 SL65 a few weeks ago that pulled 481/650. So, I was pretty happy with my results beating the 65.

2.) I run 93, that's what's "super" around here (we have 87, 89, 93...and occasionally 94). Kleemann didn't mention octane levels, so I just keep pumpin' what I have been pumpin'.

3.) No drivability issues whatsoever. If I floor it, yeah, it sits and spins. but, heck, it did that before I got the tune! I just have to feather the throttle a little bit more at takeoff now. At 60, I can still just punch it with no concern.

4.) I believe dynojet does typically give higher readings.

BTW, I've wondered this a while now. Does anyone know where the 18% loss value is confirmed? I see this one around all the time, but it could be 14%, or it could be 22%. Has anyone done an actual engine dyno (outside of MB of course) to show what the actual loss % is?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Let me try to go through these.

1.) Yeah, when the tech said "holy ****" after the pull, I knew it was something good. Of course, they mostly work on subaru's and light weight race cars, so they're not seeing a lot of torque typically. Having said that, they had a stock '07 SL65 a few weeks ago that pulled 481/650. So, I was pretty happy with my results beating the 65.

2.) I run 93, that's what's "super" around here (we have 87, 89, 93...and occasionally 94). Kleemann didn't mention octane levels, so I just keep pumpin' what I have been pumpin'.

3.) No drivability issues whatsoever. If I floor it, yeah, it sits and spins. but, heck, it did that before I got the tune! I just have to feather the throttle a little bit more at takeoff now. At 60, I can still just punch it with no concern.

4.) I believe dynojet does typically give higher readings.

BTW, I've wondered this a while now. Does anyone know where the 18% loss value is confirmed? I see this one around all the time, but it could be 14%, or it could be 22%. Has anyone done an actual engine dyno (outside of MB of course) to show what the actual loss % is?
Wow! Thank you so much for all the answers, I can tell you what I know on Drivetrain loss, typical Manual tranny is 13-15% Automatic rwd is 17-18% I've modded a lot of cars in my day & these are very consistent reference points..

Some tuners like to fluff #'s they'll quote Drivetrain loss as high as 21-22% you'll only see that kinda loss on AWD applications, the only 100% true test is to do like you suggest an actual Engine Dyno

ps..Southern, CA. we get the Tree Hugger puuss 91 Super here, though there are a few select stations in LA serving 100 + Octane (None local to me though) I just started buying Torco, seems like great stuff..

Last edited by Thericker; 09-04-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM

'06 SL600
Originally Posted by Thericker
ps..Southern, CA. we get the Tree Hugger puuss 91 Super here, though there are a few select stations in LA serving 100 + Octane (None local to me though) I just started buying Torco, seems like great stuff..
Hey, you could be in Montana. A guy at the dyno shop was driving there and if you pull off into one of the highway gas stations, you get 85.5 and that's it! (some of the local stations have 91) He had his laptop with him and actually had to reprogram his car on the fly just so he didn't blow a piston.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Hey, you could be in Montana. A guy at the dyno shop was driving there and if you pull off into one of the highway gas stations, you get 85.5 and that's it! (some of the local stations have 91) He had his laptop with him and actually had to reprogram his car on the fly just so he didn't blow a piston.
Sheet! I'd have to just get a flatbed Tow Truck if I got caught w/that option.

If I lived out there, I'd be keeping a case of Torco in my trunk