SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Panorama Roof, parktronic, distronic on the SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panorama Roof, parktronic, distronic on the SL

I was wondering if people could comment on how they like the pano roof (ones who actually have it)... I checked it out today at my dealer.. its nice.. but I didnt care for the pull sun shade for it. it was a bit clunky and ugly looking ... im now between a rock and a hard place on this option.. We get nice warm sunny summers in oregon, but then there are days when it can rain..so a pano roof would be nice,,,, i was hoping that the SL would have the sunshade similar to the sunroofs..

Also want to hear comments on the parktronic system and distronic systems.. do they work well.. my wife has a distronic in her Lexus 430.. rarely used.. but parktronic is a great feature.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Almost a Member!

I heard a Lexus has a camera in the back of the car for parking showing display in the dash or something. Mabye I'm gullable.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:55 PM

I have the Pano roof and ParkTronic and some other options, but not distronic. Here's my feedback....

I DO like the Pano roof and the sunshade. It actually works better than I thought. I have a few issues with it though: not sure it was worth the 1,800 bucks, I would guess that I get more road/wind noise with it instead of a solid roof. I'm also curious if the glass roof makes the car heavier.

I think the distronic is important because I saw someone accidentally run over a 19 month old that walked behind his car. He had just walked around the car to make sure he was clear. Fortunately the kid turned out to be okay, but parktronic or similar system would have avoided a very bad evening for a lot of people. I had it (aka Park Distance Control) on my M5 and it worked much better. That said, I'm glad I bought it and would do it again. I can't believe it isn't standard equip on all SUVs and Minivans.

As far as distronic goes, I didn't order it. When I was writing up the order, my dealer suggested against getting it.

I got the SL3 Comfort Seat package and I think it was a total waste of money.

My favorite feature remains to be Keyless-Go...I've never used the key in 7 months.

Good luck with your choices.

JB
Old 08-09-2003, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,238 Likes on 2,017 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Just doing a search on these features will yield great previous input from owners

Just one note on the screen of the pano roof. It's a roll-up screen due to limited space. It will always be flimsier that the solid board used in a sedan/coupe.

I for one have never used the screen once and never saw a reason to. I also would not want to buy another SL without a pano roof anymore...

Wolfman
Old 08-09-2003, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
We just bought a 1999 SL 500 in Dec/02. Our first MB and not like the one your concidering. But here is my impression.

It rains a lot in Vancouver as you know. The panorama roof gave an excellent feeling in the winter months ... although very quick to gey hot on sunney days.

The delema for us with the R129 is, when to remove the glass top and go soft top.

With the retractable Panorama roof I would imagine you have the best of both worlds.

On a nice day, why would anyone want the top up? On a gloomy day, who wouldn't want the light comming in over head? With the R230 you don't even have to decide before you head out.

I have only peaked into R230s at the dealership and I think they have achived a great design feet with the glass retractable roof.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:36 AM

SL500
I have the pano roof on my current SL, and I now regret removing it from the spec of my next SL (already built so too late to add). Dealer who is buying it also specifically noted it as a good selling feature.

I like the roof, and there are no downsides (my car is black, so doesn't affect looks at all). Its been so hot here that I have had the roof up quite a bit in the blazing sun, and it is nice. Hence, whether to have the pano roof only comes down to whether you can afford it and if you like the exterior look with your colour choice.

Parctronic is an absolute MUST. On the SL mercedes have finally taken the best of both the BMW/Benz systems - the rear sensor is visual (as usual) AND audible (i.e. beeps get closer like in a BMW not just one beep when the "reds" are on which is too late to rely on without looking at the lights!). Think this because with the draft stop in place you can't see the rear PTS lights.

Distronic - wouldn't bother. My friend has it, and while it is pretty cool at first, as far as we can work out you no longer have standard cruise control - its always radar scheduled. This can be a pain.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Rear Sensor is Visual on Parktronic

Is there a camera in the back of the car to see what you are backing into?

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-2003, 04:00 AM

SL500
No, when I say visual it has yellow and red lights which illuminate in sequence depending on how near you are to the obstacle. This is better than the BMW in some respects as it differentiates between left/right hazards. The addition of variable audio is good as its not always ideal to focus on the lights alone - i.e. still can't beat looking around / outside the car when reversing! "Old" parctronic did give a tone on the red lights, but as this is given when 15cm from an object, you can't rely on hearing that tone to ensure you won't hit anything! I did unfortunately prove this in an old 2000 model CLK Cabrio fitted with PTS, but thats another story......
Old 08-10-2003, 11:56 AM

2008 SL550
I've got these on my SL . . . here's my $0.02:

Parktronic is invaluable if you live in an urban area IMHO. The R230 has a fairly long nose and this feature really speeds up parallel parking.

The Pano roof is a nice-to-have if you live in a climate where you won't be running open-top most of the time. Appearance and color are a personal thing, but I prefer the look of the Pano roof on a black or dark color as opposed to a lighter color where the roof is more noticeable. However I know many others like the distinctive look of the dark glass on a lighter color so to each his/her own.

I think Distronic's great but would say that it's geared for a very specialized use of the car, i.e. long distance driving on freeways with light to moderate traffic. In these circumstances I think it actually reduces fatigue. However, Distronic is useless in urban traffic so if you plan on using the car mostly in the city or for sporty pleasure driving it would be a waste. The other point to make about Distronic is that it does alter the front appearance of the car, in essence using the signature three-pointed star as a radar transceiver and replacing the traditional "hollow" star with a plastic-covered "flat" version. This doesn't bother me but I know some others really dislike it. If you're interested in Distronic I would try to find an SL with this option to see what it looks like.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Here are some shots with Distronic.
Attached Thumbnails Panorama Roof, parktronic, distronic on the SL-dsc01785.jpg