SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: MY SL63 BUILD /CONVERSION !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
MY SL63 BUILD /CONVERSION !!

Shout out to my boys Crescent, Phil & Jeremy over at Executive Auto Body for taking on this project and doing an amazing job!

*This is a cosmetic conversion using oem and aftermarket parts. ENJOY!!!

So here we go: I started with an '03 SL500 w/ decent mileage for its age (75,xxx) that was hit in the front but had very minor structural damage (spent a couple hours on the frame machine), I picked it up from Capitol one motors in Cali.

After a 6hr drive to Queens, NY and back to Philly; and $4,500 dollars later the body parts are here!
(Front bumper w/ 2013 style daytime running leds, Rear bumper w/ diffuser, fenders w/ side inserts, side skirts and hood!):

Ok step 1, the teardown:

Next up, Phil and Crescent dry fit the parts to see what we got:

Somethings a little off, frame machine here we come:

2013 style chrome tips are in. Let's do a dry run:

I like I like...

Ok all finished on the frame machine and lights and grill are here, let's fit it back up...

Not bad! (Grill is in place but not attached)

Close up of the Drl's:

New Led taillights and clear 3rd brake light are on:

Time to brake it back down and send parts to paint. New cooling system: air ducts, hoses, cooling fans, condenser, radiator etc. are installed and topped off w/coolant. Also, an upper control arm was replaced, front bumper reinforcement and facelift headlight brackets:

Now while I wait for parts to come back from paint I'll get some miscellaneous items together; mainly rims & tires.

Hankook 265/30/20's & 295/25/20's

Rims have arrived: 20x8.5 /1.5 Lip F - 20x10 /3.5 Lip R

New style Led mirrors are installed.

Parts are painted and undergoing one last quality assurance inspection by Crescent before they are reinstalled.

Last edited by SL4Life; 10-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz SL63, C63S, Jeep SRT8
Nice. Where did you get the exhaust tips?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by fledda
Nice. Where did you get the exhaust tips?
Thanks. There are two vendors that sell the tips on eBay. Type 'amg exhaust tips' in the search bar and scroll till you see them. Goodluck...
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 AM

On my 3rd coupe!
Updated with more pics...
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
loving this, especially that front bumper. First one like that ive seen. Cant wait to see some finished pics with the DRL's on. A question i always wondered about these facelift kits is that that come with new side skirts, is it not possible to just use the original ones?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 AM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by -reg-
loving this, especially that front bumper. First one like that ive seen. Cant wait to see some finished pics with the DRL's on. A question i always wondered about these facelift kits is that that come with new side skirts, is it not possible to just use the original ones?
Thanks for the compliment. The difference in price to upgrade to that bumper was a $1k but for me it was a must have, daytime running Leds are coming on most new cars nowadays so if I'm updating I'm going all the way! Re: the side skirts, if your car is an amg or equipped with the sports package then it will have the amg side skirts so in that case you won't have to change them. The amg side skirts are sought of flared to continue the lines between the front & rear bumper. The non amg side skirts are basically flat so they wouldn't match up. For the price of changing the side skirts I don't think you want to mix & match.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Continued...

Excuse the dust, New SL63 hood, fenders and rocker panels (side skirts) are on. Jeremy shows off how well the parts fit...

Next, Chris 'the painter' shows off his paint skills with the diffuser (painted satin black) and custom front bumper ready to go!

Drilled PowerSport rotors & Posi-quiet brake pads have arrived.

Stay tuned (literally)! ...Lol

Last edited by SL4Life; 10-25-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:40 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by SL4Life
Thanks for the compliment. The difference in price to upgrade to that bumper was a $1k but for me it was a must have, daytime running Leds are coming on most new cars nowadays so if I'm updating I'm going all the way! Re: the side skirts, if your car is an amg or equipped with the sports package then it will have the amg side skirts so in that case you won't have to change them. The amg side skirts are sought of flared to continue the lines between the front & rear bumper. The non amg side skirts are basically flat so they wouldn't match up. For the price of changing the side skirts I don't think you want to mix & match.
thanks for the info, didnt realise there was a difference between amg and non-amg skirts. Updated pics look really good, keep them coming
Old 10-27-2013, 06:16 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
thanks for the info, didnt realise there was a difference between amg and non-amg skirts. Updated pics look really good, keep them coming
Thanks. Are you considering a conversion or amg bodykit? I'm assuming you have a SL, what year is it?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 PM

SL55
Thanks. Are you considering a conversion or amg bodykit? I'm assuming you have a SL, what year is it?
Yes im really looking into the facelift conversion. i have a 2004 SL55 amg which i have already done the rear sl63 bumper upgrade but want the front done aswell to go with the rear. I think i will most likey go with the prior design (non wide body) kit. Are you allowed to say which kit yours is? The only thing im not sure about is the headlight wiring
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Yes im really looking into the facelift conversion. i have a 2004 SL55 amg which i have already done the rear sl63 bumper upgrade but want the front done aswell to go with the rear. I think i will most likey go with the prior design (non wide body) kit. Are you allowed to say which kit yours is? The only thing im not sure about is the headlight wiring
I'm not sure so I'll pm the info to you. I bought the connectors for the newer lights from the dealer and the electrical tech will reroute the pin configuration. I will ask if he can document the process. What material are prior designs products?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Project looks great, can't wait to see the finished product! I thought everything was OEM until I realized that R230 sl63 don't come with LED running lights.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 AM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
Project looks great, can't wait to see the finished product! I thought everything was OEM until I realized that R230 sl63 don't come with LED running lights.
Thanks. The LED drl's is the only reason I didn't go oem!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM

SL55
I'm not sure so I'll pm the info to you. I bought the connectors for the newer lights from the dealer and the electrical tech will reroute the pin configuration. I will ask if he can document the process. What material are prior designs products?
Thanks that would be very helpful, the prior design ones are made from dura-flex FRP. Is that the same for yours?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:10 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Thanks that would be very helpful, the prior design ones are made from dura-flex FRP. Is that the same for yours?
Yea im pretty sure that fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) is just a fancy name for fiberglass. I used to look down on fiberglass until I found out that my 24' Bayliner and most racing boats are made from fiberglass. So I guess like any other material, there are different grades and quality.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
My only question is 'why'? After all the work it is still a 500 no matter how many hoods and fenders you change. Also, personally - and I am sure other feel the same way - i would NEVER buy a car that has been modified with body kits, which essentially this is.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:57 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by sgaar
My only question is 'why'? After all the work it is still a 500 no matter how many hoods and fenders you change. Also, personally - and I am sure other feel the same way - i would NEVER buy a car that has been modified with body kits, which essentially this is.
Restoring cars is a hobby of mine. I intentionally bought a car that was hit in the front so I can fix it the way I want which in this case is the sl63 style. Some people are into bodykits and some aren't. You obviously are not, and I am. I modify cars because that's what I like. Resale value means nothing to me, I have an 18yr old son so when I'm tired of playing with it I'll give it to him. Re: it being a 500, 300 horses is plenty for me! I'm 39 and don't intend on racing it. If I need to go faster, my "modified" 335i is pushing close to 460whp. So to answer your question why? Because I can! Thanks for weighing in. :-)
Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
I can respect that. I wish you luck!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:04 PM

2004 SL600
Restoring cars is a hobby of mine. I intentionally bought a car that was hit in the front so I can fix it the way I want which in this case is the sl63 style. Some people are into bodykits and some aren't. You obviously are not, and I am. I modify cars because that's what I like. Resale value means nothing to me, I have an 18yr old son so when I'm tired of playing with it I'll give it to him. Re: it being a 500, 300 horses is plenty for me! I'm 39 and don't intend on racing it. If I need to go faster, my "modified" 335i is pushing close to 460whp. So to answer your question why? Because I can! Thanks for weighing in. :-)
Ah, a fellow 335'er. I will say even with the crazy HP that my tuned 600 puts out, it's hard to beat my tuned 335xi putting power to all 4 wheels. But the cars are a near perfect compliment together.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:17 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by heylifeisshort
Ah, a fellow 335'er. I will say even with the crazy HP that my tuned 600 puts out, it's hard to beat my tuned 335xi putting power to all 4 wheels. But the cars are a near perfect compliment together.
Yes yes yes I agree! I call it the best of both worlds!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:37 PM

SL55
we need updates lol
Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
we need updates lol
Well -Reg- My friend. The shop has been waiting on a super-tech (that even Mercedes dealerships use) to come in and wire the lights and also to see why the car all of a sudden isn't starting (engine turns but is not getting fuel) so hopefully it's nothing major. Since my last post: the taillights, clear brake light, mirror covers w/ courtesy lights are all wired up and the inside of the trunk is all back together. The painted back bumper & diffuser are installed and the old oval muffler tips are cut off to make room for the new Quad tips.

A fellow forum member 'Raffi' that also did the conversion pointed me in the right direction where I was able to get photos of a new pin configuration using oem connectors for the new lights, so the shop has the new connectors and will attempt to reconfigure the pins this week. Hopefully these pics should also help other members in the future when doing a conversion.

Old & New pin configuration:

*P.S. Don't be alarmed that there are two Brown wires and two white wires w/ black stripes. I am told that the size of the pins will let you know where they go.

Painted back bumper & diffuser installed:

Last edited by SL4Life; 11-10-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 PM

SL55
Thanks so much that picture is exactly something i was looking for.

When you say:
*P.S. Don't be alarmed that there are two Brown and white wires. I am told that the size of the pins will let you know where they go.
did you mean BLACK and White?

thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 PM

On my 3rd coupe!
Your welcome. There are two Brown wires and there are two white wires with black stripes.

When you say:

thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 PM

On my 3rd coupe!

When you say:

thanks
I did edit the caption for clarification. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: MY SL63 BUILD /CONVERSION !!