SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Door handle question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 Mercedes-Benz SL500
Door handle question

How do I remove the top section of the exterior door handle? My driver's side is loose and I'm cautious not to break it. There is a small torx set screw which seems to be stripped since I can't back it out. The top section at the rear of the handle can be lifted up a little but I don't know how it connects to the front.

Thanks for any helps.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
1967 250SE, 2020 GLB250, 2006 SL500, 2023 EQB300
Why do you want to do that. As far as I know that is a one part. I tried to take mine apart when the Keyless-Go let go of the ghost but you cannot replace any internal components. In the side of the door there must be a hole, you insert a torx screwdriver, loosen a screw which will release the lock tumbler piece. Then the handle will come out relatively easy.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Originally Posted by gafitanu
Why do you want to do that. As far as I know that is a one part. I tried to take mine apart when the Keyless-Go let go of the ghost but you cannot replace any internal components. In the side of the door there must be a hole, you insert a torx screwdriver, loosen a screw which will release the lock tumbler piece. Then the handle will come out relatively easy.
No direct experience to share but handle does appear to be one piece per above, see attached EPC parts list and WIS instructions.

Good luck,

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Door Closing system R230.pdf (69.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 07-29-2017, 02:58 PM

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL500
Originally Posted by gafitanu
I thought it was a two piece hand, top and bottom. I'm thinking to just glue the top in place so it will not break off from use.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:00 PM

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL500
Originally Posted by mercy-me
No direct experience to share but handle does appear to be one piece per above, see attached EPC parts list and WIS instructions.

Good luck,

Bob
Thanks I have seem these diagrams before. It could be the top was not designed to be taken apart from the bottom. I think I might glue it in place to prevent breakage from use.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 SL550 R230, 2004 E320 W211
@Silver Light, did you get this resolved, I have the exact same issue on the passenger door of my 2008 SL550.

The top plastic trim portion of my exterior door handle is coming up from the handle (just like in the original post pictures). On mine, I believe the little tab is broken (the one that the small torx screw goes into). When I was shopping for my SL, I saw others where this trim piece was completely broken off and gone so I presume this is somewhat common?

Did you figure out how to replace this or glue it, or secure it some other way?

On mine, the problem is on the passenger door, so there is no "key" hole, only the handle and the "buttons". I'm wondering if I could buy a used handle on e bay (painted to match), and then simply swap out the whole handle (although there is no guarantee that the replacement handle won't have the same problem)...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lee
2008 SL550
Old 08-22-2018, 06:59 PM

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL500
Originally Posted by Leej
@Silver Light, did you get this resolved, I have the exact same issue on the passenger door of my 2008 SL550.

The top plastic trim portion of my exterior door handle is coming up from the handle (just like in the original post pictures). On mine, I believe the little tab is broken (the one that the small torx screw goes into). When I was shopping for my SL, I saw others where this trim piece was completely broken off and gone so I presume this is somewhat common?

Did you figure out how to replace this or glue it, or secure it some other way?

On mine, the problem is on the passenger door, so there is no "key" hole, only the handle and the "buttons". I'm wondering if I could buy a used handle on e bay (painted to match), and then simply swap out the whole handle (although there is no guarantee that the replacement handle won't have the same problem)...

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lee
2008 SL550
Lee,
I did a simple fix using super glue.

Do the following;
1. Pull the top of the handle up and with a damp paper towel clean the edge surfaces top and bottom
2. With top of the handle held up (Better if two people work on it but I used a small wooden shim to hold it) use a toothpick to apply a very small amount (Emphasis on small amount) of super glue on the edges, top and bottom inboard side and outboard side.
3. Reset the handle cover into normal position then temporarily taped around the handle to hold it overnight as the glue cures. I used electrical tape as it adheres well and is easily removed the next day.

Haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps you.
Enjoy your ride.
Bill
The following users liked this post:
Leej (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 SL550 R230, 2004 E320 W211
Bill
THANKS for the tip and the detailed instructions. I used some JB Weld Plastic Weld, because it was what I had . It is a 2 part epoxy that sets in about 5 minutes, cures in an hour (I also had JB Plastic Bond, but it sets in 15 minutes, and I thought the 5 minute stuff would be better).

The JB Plastic Weld was a little thicker than super glue (similar to super glue gel), and I applied a few dabs along the edge (inboard side and outboard side), and taped it up with some blue painters tape. I only used a very small amount; I'll see how I did an a few hours once it is good and cured. I suspect this will take care of it, and if not I will simply apply a little more glue. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Lee