SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Foxwell NT510 Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2020 | 06:00 AM

CL
Well done, you have done great job like this everybody can compare and make up their own opinion
The following 2 users liked this post by pmercury:
BlackML550 (06-01-2020), matk (03-16-2020)
Old 04-27-2020 | 10:46 AM

CL
before you buy smal scanners, be aware that these kind of things happen:
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ical-help.html
these scanners price reflect the functions you'll get. you if you just want basics, or you really want to avoid the dealers. that is the question

take a direct jump to "only the best" (read mbmembers and workshops reviews)
https://benzninja.com

Last edited by pmercury; 11-23-2020 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BlackML550 (06-01-2020)
Old 05-12-2020 | 11:45 AM

Plays With Cars
Interesting to note that I have an Autel MaxiDiag MD806 from several years ago, the display, menu structure, sequence, font, and display are identical to the NT510. I assume they are made by the same company. The Autel has all of the read functionality but none of the activation/adaptation functionality.
Old 11-23-2020 | 10:16 AM

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL600
Good to keep in the car.

I also purchased an MT510 partly based on this thread and can say I am very pleased with what it does for the price. Used it to resolve an engine cooling fan problem and performed a Rodeo when flushing the ABC fluid. Those two things made it worth my money. The Next best thing for me is I can store the unit in its travel case and carry it in the car trunk for roadside surprises! It already cleared a “Car too low” error I encountered when quite a long way from home. I don’t think carrying a laptop and box of cables is quite as practical.
In addition, it works on my Sprinter van so if that thing ever starts to act up I stand a good chance of fixing it without dealer involvement.

Thanks to all who took the time to review this device and offer constructive comments.
I will agree the display is small, hard to read in sunlight when testing on road systems, it’s slow to analyze everything, and the method of naming a file is painful.

But for me, the convenience factor outweighs its limitations.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXDaveSki:
chad500sl (11-24-2020), Dudeman (11-25-2020)
Old 11-23-2020 | 03:49 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Don't forget, you can always sell your 100$ device once you are done with basic devices and get the real thing like many already did !

get the real stuff and limit funding dictatorships

One of the multiple things you will never be able to do with Chinese soft crap here

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-software.html

and you won't get tons of services either and they will sell you a junk computer

Nothing below a i5 processor, 8GB of ram and 250GB SSD should be used to run Xentry (MB specs info)

Think before you try to safe 200$
or go for the basic Foxwell if your needs are limited

Last edited by BenzNinja; 11-25-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Gene Fiorot (11-23-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 06:23 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...a-my-hero.html

read this too:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-software.html

Last edited by BenzNinja; 11-30-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2020 | 07:04 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM

Old 12-01-2020 | 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Bobterry99, you mentioned the 530 elite. Is the suffix ‘elite’ correct, or reserved for the 650 only?
Old 12-03-2020 | 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Benzninja please provide more details what this product is

Originally Posted by BenzNinja
Old 12-04-2020 | 01:21 AM

CL
Originally Posted by tusabes
Benzninja please provide more details what this product is

Sure

Here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...port-mode.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...c-upgrade.html
Old 12-04-2020 | 08:30 AM

2007 sl550
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
Bobterry99, you mentioned the 530 elite. Is the suffix ‘elite’ correct, or reserved for the 650 only?
I purchased a 510 Elite which is a new model. It is the same Hardware (hand held unit) as the 510 but has the expanded software of the 530.
I wanted something simpler and smaller for occasional use and simple fixes.

Had trouble loading the software until I actually replaced the micro SD card with a new card. Also found the included USB chip was defective, hope the unit itself has better quality than the memory chips they provide, time will tell.

Haven't used it much yet and the learning curve may be a little steep but I feel this satisfy my basic needs. I'm sure the Star system will do more and BenzNinja seems to provide great service but if I get in that deep I'll go to a pro.
BenzNinja (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020 | 12:00 PM

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL600
Originally Posted by bobterry99
...as far as I can tell you have to spend $750 on their GT60 Plus in order to have something which is explicitly described as having the capability to perform actuations; e.g., manual control of components, Rodeo routine.

I used the 510 to run a Rodeo when changing the ABC juice and it also actuated the radiator cooling fan at different speeds to help me diagnose a cooling problem. It probably does a lot more, I just haven’t the spare time to experiment with it. The documentation doesn’t explain everything in detail so you don’t know for sure what it does until you try it.
Old 12-17-2020 | 01:01 PM

SL500-R230
I'm sure I read somewhere ages ago Mercedes no longer recommend Rodeo (Can't find anyhthing to back that up)- wether that's because it loads the system or they just cant be bothered.

My opinion on cheap diag tools is if they do what you are trying to achieve go for it. If you press rodeo and the car goes up and down it does the job

But there are subtleties - ive seen cheap that say they adapt 722.9 transmission, and theres hardly any (no) change - then you plug it in Xentry and 2 of you spend an hour driving round adapting changes and the car just drives amazing after (when you thought you needed a new gearbox) - sometimes you just need the right tool, but not often tbf.

*Out of curiosity - Did rodeo improve ride in any way??*
Old 01-05-2021 | 07:15 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM

Last edited by BenzNinja; 01-05-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2021 | 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Question for Foxwell users: Anyone try loading multiple vehicle manufacturers on their units?

My automotive hobby has expanded to purchasing, refurbishing and selling vehicles so I am interested in one...mainly because I am getting tired of lugging around full diagnostic setups (for MBs, BMWs, Audis, etc.) and need something powerful that can be stored in a glove box.

Originally Posted by m60kaf
I'm sure I read somewhere ages ago Mercedes no longer recommend Rodeo (Can't find anyhthing to back that up)- wether that's because it loads the system or they just cant be bothered.
I've read something similar before. A common misconception is that Rodeo is needed to warm the fluid up, which isn't necessarily the case since the system can be warmed up just from the car being driven.

Rodeo after the fluid change, however, ensures that the new fluid is circulated as thoroughly as possible.

Another (partial) misconception is that you need to actuate the system to cycle the fluid out when servicing. From what I've observed, ABC 1 systems will cycle the fluid out freely with only the engine running. ABC 2 systems, on the other hand, require the system to be actuated for the fluid to be cycled out.

Old 01-22-2021 | 05:14 AM

R230 350SL
Yes. When you purchase the original unit you get one manufacturer free of charge (I bought Mercedes). My daily is a Volvo V50 so I have subsequently paid Foxwell extra and now bought Volvo, which is now also on my unit. So my unit can do both Mercedes and Volvo.

Old 01-22-2021 | 06:10 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
For those who would like to get something similar like low price code reading and limited functions
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ml#post8254011

Last edited by BenzNinja; 01-23-2021 at 05:56 AM.
Jim Muller (01-22-2021)
Old 01-23-2021 | 03:08 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
That is why I said LIMITED FONCTIONS as the foxwell device, also, in NO WAY has all the mercedes Xenty function

You didn't learn I see
let's add who you are to sticky
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ar-system.html

Old 01-23-2021 | 03:48 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by bobterry99
Fonctions?

You wrote that it was a "similar" alternative, but it isn't. It's like comparing a handheld calculator to a laptop PC. Foxwell can do practically everything a typical DIYer uses DAS/XENTRY for.
That does not change the fact that it is far from doing what Xentry DAS can do
Old 01-23-2021 | 04:33 AM

R230 350SL
I’m actually getting very fed up with the way this thread is going and as the original poster and the person who made the effort to demonstrate the Foxwell I feel entitled to make a few points.

Firstly the reason this thread is a sticky was a direct suggestion from a Mod to myself, asking me, as the thread initiator, if I was agreeable, to which I said yes.

Secondly we all know the Foxwell is not a fully dancing Xentry system. This thread was not intended by me to say that. Can I please ask everyone to stop debating it’s merits to a Xentry......... on THIS thread. By all means debate elsewhere, but this thread was posted by me as a Foxwell exploration of ability, not a debate as to whether it’s an Xentry substitute. It’s not!!!!

Finally, if there’s an alternative product of use (and I like the sound of the Carly) then go start its own thread!!!! If it has user value it’ll stand on its own two feet.

I feel I’ve wasted my time. What I began as an attempt to explain a diagnostic tool as a help to the community, has been undermined by diversion into a thread knocking the Foxwell against other stuff. I think that’s a very valid conversation and debate, but not in THIS thread!

If anyone is minded to make a useful comparison of all the various diagnostic tools available in a separate thread, then that would be an incredibly useful thing. Trying to do it here and introducing new processes in THIS thread is not!!
nath_h (01-16-2022)
Old 01-23-2021 | 05:52 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by matk
I’m actually getting very fed up with the way this thread is going and as the original poster and the person who made the effort to demonstrate the Foxwell I feel entitled to make a few points.

Firstly the reason this thread is a sticky was a direct suggestion from a Mod to myself, asking me, as the thread initiator, if I was agreeable, to which I said yes.

Secondly we all know the Foxwell is not a fully dancing Xentry system. This thread was not intended by me to say that. Can I please ask everyone to stop debating it’s merits to a Xentry......... on THIS thread. By all means debate elsewhere, but this thread was posted by me as a Foxwell exploration of ability, not a debate as to whether it’s an Xentry substitute. It’s not!!!!

Finally, if there’s an alternative product of use (and I like the sound of the Carly) then go start its own thread!!!! If it has user value it’ll stand on its own two feet.

I feel I’ve wasted my time. What I began as an attempt to explain a diagnostic tool as a help to the community, has been undermined by diversion into a thread knocking the Foxwell against other stuff. I think that’s a very valid conversation and debate, but not in THIS thread!

If anyone is minded to make a useful comparison of all the various diagnostic tools available in a separate thread, then that would be an incredibly useful thing. Trying to do it here and introducing new processes in THIS thread is not!!
I agree
If you want me to remove the Carly thing no problem
Old 01-23-2021 | 05:56 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
removed
Old 01-23-2021 | 06:12 AM

R230 350SL
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
I agree
If you want me to remove the Carly thing no problem
Hi Peter, I appreciate you taking that view and my own personal view is, I’d wish you to move the Carly to it’s own thread.

It looks like a good thing to have and deserves its own space?

Before we get others jumping to assumptions I’ll say for the record this is not an anti “Benzninja” post lol. I just think the community is best served by keeping this thread to its original purpose?
Old 01-23-2021 | 06:53 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Hi Peter, I appreciate you taking that view and my own personal view is, I’d wish you to move the Carly to it’s own thread.

It looks like a good thing to have and deserves its own space?

Before we get others jumping to assumptions I’ll say for the record this is not an anti “Benzninja” post lol. I just think the community is best served by keeping this thread to its original purpose?
I know that Matk
nobody is against me and fighting with me, only 1 same person
I totally understand this and I only forgot to think about this before by stress

Don't worry, I'll always help you
admitting mistakes is the base

Last edited by BenzNinja; 01-23-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2021 | 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Let's steer this topic back on track now.

Yes. When you purchase the original unit you get one manufacturer free of charge (I bought Mercedes). My daily is a Volvo V50 so I have subsequently paid Foxwell extra and now bought Volvo, which is now also on my unit. So my unit can do both Mercedes and Volvo.
Thank you. Any performance issues after adding the Volvo-specific functionality vs. just the default Mercedes you started with?

My use case will be for Mercedes, Audi, BMW and maybe Ford. While it is nice having dedicated STAR, INPA/PA Soft/NCS-Expert (BMW), VAG-COM (Audi) and FORScan (Ford) setups in my garage, I relish the idea of a powerful, activations-capable, all-in-one to take with me on the road.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Foxwell NT510 Review