SL/R230: 03 SL55 Radio Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
03 SL55 Radio Install

I have combed through a bunch of the existing threads on the topic and I think I have a solid understanding on installing an Aftermarket radio in the R230 chassis.

03 and prior use MB specific fiber adapter which has no aftermarket support - EVERYTHING must be rewired

04 and after use industry standard adapter, and aftermarket radio can be integrated but you lose control of F/R sound stage.

My question, if I install an aftermarket radio and I bypass the factory amp, can I integrate an aftermarket amp, and wire it up to the Bose speakers? I know sometimes that Bose runs individual amps in the crossovers but unclear of what the early SL set ups are like? Is the sub reusable? or do I need to install my own?

Anyone DIY something like this before?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:33 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
I have combed through a bunch of the existing threads on the topic and I think I have a solid understanding on installing an Aftermarket radio in the R230 chassis.

03 and prior use MB specific fiber adapter which has no aftermarket support - EVERYTHING must be rewired

04 and after use industry standard adapter, and aftermarket radio can be integrated but you lose control of F/R sound stage.

My question, if I install an aftermarket radio and I bypass the factory amp, can I integrate an aftermarket amp, and wire it up to the Bose speakers? I know sometimes that Bose runs individual amps in the crossovers but unclear of what the early SL set ups are like? Is the sub reusable? or do I need to install my own?

yes
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...et-stereo.html
mostly same for your car
wires to speakers are easy to find as bounded by pair and color
only difference the number of speakers I guess

Last edited by pmercury; 11-17-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by pmercury
yes
mostly same for your car
wires to speakers are easy to find as bounded by pair and color
only difference the number of speakers I guess
many thanks, reading it now!
Old 11-18-2020, 11:29 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
many thanks, reading it now!
my pleasure
for all readers follow the rest on the link to my thread
Old 11-19-2020, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 229 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32

If you listen to AM radio (most folks don't anymore, I suppose), you will find that with your new head unit you will have near zero AM reception with the top closed (and normal reception with the top in the trunk). This is because the factory head unit (2003 and 2004 r230) and the audio gateway (2005 and later R230) provide a control signal (that is based on a CAN signal the HU or audio gateway gets from the top controller,N52) to the rear AM antenna switch/amp (A2/67) which in turn, sources the am antenna from the rear deck or rear window depending on top position - but now with your new head unit, your antenna switch will ALWAYS think the top is in the trunk (and use the rear deck antenna ONLY).
Worth mentioning ....
The wiring diagram on Mercedes ETM shows that a "top closed" switch (S69/1) provides the needed top-status signal DIRECTLY to A2/67 ... but this is not the case. Contrary to the Mercedes wiring diagram (but consistent with Mercedes' block diagram disambiguation), the top status comes from N52 (unrelated to the actual status of switch S69/1)as a CAN signal to the factory head unit on 2003-2004 R230s (and to the N93/1 "audio gateway" on 2005+ models) where it is translated into voltage coding.

There is a work around I created if AM radio is important to you.

On my 2003 R230, I used a nice Alpine AMP to power the (4) door speakers and sub .. I used all of the factory speakers (EXCEPT the sub which I replaced). Then, running off of the "speaker outputs" of the new (kenwood DMX906s) I wired the front center speaker as "center channel" and rewired the rear fill speakers as left and right (later I went back and added a resistor in series with each of these "speaker outputs" to aid in some gross signal level balancing of the speaker outputs of the head unit vs the alpine amp (I can get the specific values I settled on if anyone is interested).

hope that helps,
Cheers and stay safe,
Chris
The following users liked this post:
chad500sl (11-19-2020)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL500 R230
Originally Posted by latemodel21
If you listen to AM radio (most folks don't anymore, I suppose), you will find that with your new head unit you will have near zero AM reception with the top closed (and normal reception with the top in the trunk). This is because the factory head unit (2003 and 2004 r230) and the audio gateway (2005 and later R230) provide a control signal (that is based on a CAN signal the HU or audio gateway gets from the top controller,N52) to the rear AM antenna switch/amp (A2/67) which in turn, sources the am antenna from the rear deck or rear window depending on top position - but now with your new head unit, your antenna switch will ALWAYS think the top is in the trunk (and use the rear deck antenna ONLY).
Worth mentioning ....
The wiring diagram on Mercedes ETM shows that a "top closed" switch (S69/1) provides the needed top-status signal DIRECTLY to A2/67 ... but this is not the case. Contrary to the Mercedes wiring diagram (but consistent with Mercedes' block diagram disambiguation), the top status comes from N52 (unrelated to the actual status of switch S69/1)as a CAN signal to the factory head unit on 2003-2004 R230s (and to the N93/1 "audio gateway" on 2005+ models) where it is translated into voltage coding.

There is a work around I created if AM radio is important to you.

On my 2003 R230, I used a nice Alpine AMP to power the (4) door speakers and sub .. I used all of the factory speakers (EXCEPT the sub which I replaced). Then, running off of the "speaker outputs" of the new (kenwood DMX906s) I wired the front center speaker as "center channel" and rewired the rear fill speakers as left and right (later I went back and added a resistor in series with each of these "speaker outputs" to aid in some gross signal level balancing of the speaker outputs of the head unit vs the alpine amp (I can get the specific values I settled on if anyone is interested).

hope that helps,
Cheers and stay safe,
Chris
@Jim Muller check this post.