SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Will the 2020 R231 make an early appearance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,110 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Will the 2020 R231 make an early appearance?

OK, you need to read carefully, as this can be confusing:

When MB brought out the new W213 E Class in 2016 as a 2017 model, they started taking orders for the 2016 models in early 2015. Since we are all expecting to see a new SL (R232?) as a 2021 model, hopefully in mid to late 2020, I am wondering if MB will do what they did with the E and start taking 2020 R231 orders in early 2019.

Or, do we think the 2020 model just comes out at the regular time, with a short production run, with the new car coming out shortly thereafter?

If it were me, I’d like to see them make the final year of the R231 something special. After all, it will be the final year of the beloved retractable hardtop, so additional interest may run high. Maybe offer the chrome trim, diamond stitched interior and staggered wheels from the dearly departed SL65 as options. Wouldn’t that be a hoot! Dare I say a few new colors would be icing on the cake!
Old 12-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,301 Likes on 2,047 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
OK, you need to read carefully, as this can be confusing:

When MB brought out the new W213 E Class in 2016 as a 2017 model, they started taking orders for the 2016 models in early 2015. Since we are all expecting to see a new SL (R232?) as a 2021 model, hopefully in mid to late 2020, I am wondering if MB will do what they did with the E and start taking 2020 R231 orders in early 2019.

Or, do we think the 2020 model just comes out at the regular time, with a short production run, with the new car coming out shortly thereafter?

If it were me, I’d like to see them make the final year of the R231 something special. After all, it will be the final year of the beloved retractable hardtop, so additional interest may run high. Maybe offer the chrome trim, diamond stitched interior and staggered wheels from the dearly departed SL65 as options. Wouldn’t that be a hoot! Dare I say a few new colors would be icing on the cake!
A final edition is easily in the cards. This would include many of the suggested features: SL65 chrome flares (already done before) and the 19/20 forged multispokes. This would include special Designo interior. Don’t expect diamond stitching or leather headliner. That will not happen.

As for colors, You now have full reign on exterior/interior choices using Designo Manufaktur
Old 12-25-2018, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Wolfman
As for colors, You now have full reign on exterior/interior choices using Designo Manufaktur

I’ve seen things about Designo Manufaktur, but only in reference to the G series. Might you have any links to more info, especially regarding the SL?
Merry Christmas from California!
Old 12-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
I have a 2017 SL450 Designo Edition that has some of the SL63/65 front chrome and wheels so a special edition is easy to do. It doesn't have the diamond interior but having thought SLs look better with a rear spoiler I added that from the 63/65. I would post a pic but I'm old and I.T. challenged.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

I’ve seen things about Designo Manufaktur, but only in reference to the G series. Might you have any links to more info, especially regarding the SL?
Merry Christmas from California!
Merry Christmas!
Good and bad news. Good news, the interiors can be modified, bad news the exterior colors on the SL's can't at this time. This appears to be plant-based and I am sure will expand over time. Apart from the sticker shock, they can do any exterior color but this can take time as it includes vendor sourcing. Except a few colors which includes the much discussed Mars Red. That color has been blacklisted due to quality issues and is Mercedes is currently involved in a Class-action lawsuit.

Here is the info. My recommendation for the single color SL is to email the Design liaison designo@mbusa.com
Attached Files
Old 12-28-2018, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As is usually the case with MB, they have put so many restrictions in there and are charging so much for what ends up being a watered down program, it becomes very disappointing and virtually useless, at least for the SL, in my humble opinion. For the R231, no special paint, no special dash. It doesn't talk about it, but I would bet anything that if you wanted Saddle Brown carpeting, that would not be allowed either. As pleased as I am to see MB moving in this direction, they have a long way to go before they get anywhere close to what Porsche or Bentley will do and that's a shame.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

As is usually the case with MB, they have put so many restrictions in there and are charging so much for what ends up being a watered down program, it becomes very disappointing and virtually useless, at least for the SL, in my humble opinion. For the R231, no special paint, no special dash. It doesn't talk about it, but I would bet anything that if you wanted Saddle Brown carpeting, that would not be allowed either. As pleased as I am to see MB moving in this direction, they have a long way to go before they get anywhere close to what Porsche or Bentley will do and that's a shame.
Hmm. Just what you asked for and now you are complaining These are baby steps but still. Costs are high for Mercedes mindsets but a bargain in Bentley land.

I also don’t see any reason they wouldn’t do a solid single color interior. I have seen custom E63’s and they do S-class models and AMG GT’s.
In reality those will be the models that will be customized. The SL is a lesser candidate.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Still think MB is making a huge mistake....

By deciding to discontinue the folding hardtop 'Vario Roof' for the next generation SL Class...

The current 231 is therefore the last of it's kind....Long Live the 231 SL Class!...
Old 12-30-2018, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman

Hmm. Just what you asked for and now you are complaining These are baby steps but still. Costs are high for Mercedes mindsets but a bargain in Bentley land.

I also don’t see any reason they wouldn’t do a solid single color interior. I have seen custom E63’s and they do S-class models and AMG GT’s.
In reality those will be the models that will be customized. The SL is a lesser candidate.
Just what I asked for? Hardly. What I asked for is to have a new SL painted the color I want. No need for Mars Red, maybe a 1986 Signal Red or 1978 Maple Yellow. But, nope, they won’t do special paint for an SL. I would like an interior where all of the leather covered surfaces are all Saddle Brown, a current SL leather color, but they won’t do that either, as they won’t do the dash. They have not mentioned it, but I would bet that carpet colors are limited to black or beige. In short, if you want a truly personalized SL, unless you are the Sultan of Brunei, you ar S.O.L. As far as these being “baby steps” for MB, that’s just great, but for someone who wants a special R231, before the hardtop goes away, all I can say is NUTS!

Last edited by Streamliner; 12-30-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bob55
By deciding to discontinue the folding hardtop 'Vario Roof' for the next generation SL Class...

The current 231 is therefore the last of it's kind....Long Live the 231 SL Class!...
It really is a shame. All this talk of “weight saving” and more “performance,” WHO needs it? The SL is a niche vehicle. Relatively very few are sold, so they don’t figure much, if at all, into CAFE standards. The SL, at least since the demise of the original 300SL, has been a grand touring car. It is heavy, solid, powerful, comfortable and full of creature comforts, the best of which was the retractable hardtop. For many years now, I have truly thought that there are a few folks in key positions at MB, who have their head up their ***. Whomever green lighted the return to a fabric top for the SL is at the top of the list. The market doesn’t need yet another “performance” car. There are tons of them everywhere. The SL was unique, different and special and now they are screwing it up. What a shame!
Old 12-31-2018, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Just what I asked for? Hardly. What I asked for is to have a new SL painted the color I want. No need for Mars Red, maybe a 1986 Signal Red or 1978 Maple Yellow. But, nope, they won’t do special paint for an SL. I would like an interior where all of the leather covered surfaces are all Saddle Brown, a current SL leather color, but they won’t do that either, as they won’t do the dash. They have not mentioned it, but I would bet that carpet colors are limited to black or beige. In short, if you want a truly personalized SL, unless you are the Sultan of Brunei, you ar S.O.L. As far as these being “baby steps” for MB, that’s just great, but for someone who wants a special R231, before the hardtop goes away, all I can say is NUTS!

I guess you overlooked my wink

You asked for customizations and they started doing do, hence the baby step but I am not sure if you are making assumptions on the dash. Have you actually confirmed that they are not doing a single color dash or the carpet?

That said, I can see that programs are offered by factory. The Bremen factory is a bread and butter model plant but also handles the convertibles (C,E,SLC,SL). Also GLC,sand the new EQC. So the SL accounts for 1% of manufacturing volume.
The only car in the plant for that program would be the SL and that one is moving towards the sunset. So while it’s not great to have a minimal program, it’s barely worth the hassle for them.
Hopefully they will expand this over time.

Happy NewYear!