SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Why cant MB use some imagination?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Why cant MB use some imagination?

I'm getting one of these, but convinced if they wouldn't be so farty and old fashioned in their ideas, they would sell far more cars and yet over the years dealing with the Germans in business it was always "Nein" and we are always right mentality.
Rapid Blue for me..................

Old 07-24-2019, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
I would never consider buying the C8 Corvette, (or any other all-out Exotic car for that matter), but if someone was to ask my opinion as to 'which color looks best' on the new C8 Mid-Engine Corvette, I would tell them it's the Sebring ORANGE....

The OP's post on this 231 forum was therefore useful to me only as a means to form an opinion about a C8 Corvette color choice!....

Like many, I fully admit to having a 'lust' for Corvettes as a teenager, and I actually did buy a 69 Vette in my early 20's. Twas 'a youthful itch that I needed to scratch', I suppose, but haven't had any desire for any later model Corvettes, or for any kind of 'all-out Exotic' which the new Mid-Engine C8 will now compete with. Just no interest whatsoever in 'Vettes' since the time of my youth, which was so many years ago...

One's personal taste in automobiles tends to evolve over time, and mine most certainly has! I now lean more toward refinement, sophistication, comfort, and build quality, while still desiring the sportiness and performance of a powerful 2-Seat Roadster!....

I'm pleased to say that my 231 Mercedes-Benz SL 550 delivers all of that and more, and unlike the C8 Corvette, the 231 doesn't have any direct competition. There's really nothing quite like it from any other brand, regardless of price!. The 231 still exists in a league all it's own!..

Last edited by bob55; 07-25-2019 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SLclass (07-25-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe , 2013 SL550sold 2009 sl550 sold 2012 S550 sold
My sentiments exactly Bob! The 2020 vette will be a game-changer and I will try to drive one but while the C7 had some nice options (like the magnetic suspension) , I'm told that the blind spot, auto cruise , and smart braking systems are not an option yet.
That makes my 231 a safer car for me to drive. You're definitely not going to get those packages in the $60K entry price that I'm reading...maybe Chevrolet will offer them in the future at a competitive price. The C8 convertible did catch my eye in a good way though...
Streamliner (07-25-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 319 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Having just traded a 2016 C7 Corvette for a 2015 SL, I can tell you that the build quality, fit and finish of the SL is much better than the C7. I also experienced several drivetrain and fuel delivery issues that resulted in over 60 days in the shop for repairs. All were covered by the OEM warranty but were disappointing to say the least.
SLclass (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
SLclass (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,698 Likes on 2,114 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
As someone who, for decades, was the exclusive U.S. Importer for a prestigious, 100+ year old German manufacturing company, I can tell you how absolutely frustrating it was to deal with these folks. They get it in their heads to do something one way, and THAT’S IT! No arguments, suggestions or facts to the contrary, listened to or appreciated.

A great reference is our lambasted audio systems in the R231’s. They put them in the 2013, found them to be unacceptable by many owners, but left them virtually unchanged through the entire model run.. INSANE! Even with the golden opportunity of the 2017 face lift, all they did was reduce the number of speakers and drop the CD changer, while leaving the inherent problems unresolved. Where is my baseball bat?

Don’t even get me started on colors! They have had pretty much the same, old, worn out, drab, dreary, exterior colors across most of the entire line for years now. And, when they do make a change, they DROP two wonderful colors: Palladium Silver and Mars Red. The R231 has not sold well at all, and I truly believe that one of the big problems is their “50 shades of gray” palette.

Interior colors, in my opinion, are just as bad. Why EVERY interior choice—save one—has to be fully HALF BLACK, is just so disappointing to me. Why not an ALL saddle or an ALL red or an ALL gray interior with a touch of another complimentary, contrasting shade? In the 1980’s, GM started doing this to save money. A red interior had red seats and black everything else. A tan interior had tan seats and black everything else, etc. It is so much cheaper to produce a trim panel only in black, than in several different colors, and to me, that’s what MB ended up with: some cheap looking interiors! Sorry guys, I don’t mean to belittle your interior choice, but that’s how I feel. I would have just LOVED to order my SL450 with a red interior—as in the Porsche shown below—but they don’t offer one, only a red & BLACK. I could do without the red steering wheel, but with Porsche, that would be easy, as the choices are many.

But, don’t complain to the Germans at MB about ANYTHING, because they do not want to hear it. Like overbearing parents, THEY KNOW what we want and and what is best for us. We, their customers, are unimportant, just as long as we keep buying their products.

The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
TennesseeZ4 (07-25-2019), WN1X (07-25-2019), ygmn (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 725 Likes on 541 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Zee Germans know best.....great post streamliner....
Old 07-25-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Talking

Originally Posted by Streamliner
As someone who, for decades, was the exclusive U.S. Importer for a prestigious, 100+ year old German manufacturing company, I can tell you how absolutely frustrating it was to deal with these folks. They get it in their heads to do something one way, and THAT’S IT! No arguments, suggestions or facts to the contrary, listened to or appreciated.

A great reference is our lambasted audio systems in the R231’s. They put them in the 2013, found them to be unacceptable by many owners, but left them virtually unchanged through the entire model run.. INSANE! Even with the golden opportunity of the 2017 face lift, all they did was reduce the number of speakers and drop the CD changer, while leaving the inherent problems unresolved. Where is my baseball bat?

Don’t even get me started on colors! They have had pretty much the same, old, worn out, drab, dreary, exterior colors across most of the entire line for years now. And, when they do make a change, they DROP two wonderful colors: Palladium Silver and Mars Red. The R231 has not sold well at all, and I truly believe that one of the big problems is their “50 shades of gray” palette.

Interior colors, in my opinion, are just as bad. Why EVERY interior choice—save one—has to be fully HALF BLACK, is just so disappointing to me. Why not an ALL saddle or an ALL red or an ALL gray interior with a touch of another complimentary, contrasting shade? In the 1980’s, GM started doing this to save money. A red interior had red seats and black everything else. A tan interior had tan seats and black everything else, etc. It is so much cheaper to produce a trim panel only in black, than in several different colors, and to me, that’s what MB ended up with: some cheap looking interiors! Sorry guys, I don’t mean to belittle your interior choice, but that’s how I feel. I would have just LOVED to order my SL450 with a red interior—as in the Porsche shown below—but they don’t offer one, only a red & BLACK. I could do without the red steering wheel, but with Porsche, that would be easy, as the choices are many.

But, don’t complain to the Germans at MB about ANYTHING, because they do not want to hear it. Like overbearing parents, THEY KNOW what we want and and what is best for us. We, their customers, are unimportant, just as long as we keep buying their products.

TOTALLY agree with you, thats why I went all black on the interior so it looks like the monolithic color scheme that we both like!
Old 07-26-2019, 12:28 AM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Originally Posted by bob55
I would never consider buying the C8 Corvette, (or any other all-out Exotic car for that matter), but if someone was to ask my opinion as to 'which color looks best' on the new C8 Mid-Engine Corvette, I would tell them it's the Sebring ORANGE....

The OP's post on this 231 forum was therefore useful to me only as a means to form an opinion about a C8 Corvette color choice!....

Like many, I fully admit to having a 'lust' for Corvettes as a teenager, and I actually did buy a 69 Vette in my early 20's. Twas 'a youthful itch that I needed to scratch', I suppose, but haven't had any desire for any later model Corvettes, or for any kind of 'all-out Exotic' which the new Mid-Engine C8 will now compete with. Just no interest whatsoever in 'Vettes' since the time of my youth, which was so many years ago...

One's personal taste in automobiles tends to evolve over time, and mine most certainly has! I now lean more toward refinement, sophistication, comfort, and build quality, while still desiring the sportiness and performance of a powerful 2-Seat Roadster!....

I'm pleased to say that my 231 Mercedes-Benz SL 550 delivers all of that and more, and unlike the C8 Corvette, the 231 doesn't have any direct competition. There's really nothing quite like it from any other brand, regardless of price!. The 231 still exists in a league all it's own!..

Think some here have miss-understood. I never said I was changing models. SL550 still the best in its class for daily driving, but since I have kept my C6 for 15 plus years and totally customized it even down to a hand painted blue tiger for a hoodliner, I just can't do manual anymore and the C8 will be my fun car. I'm really hoping that MB pull their finger out with the looks and the class I'm expecting for 2020/21 but they are bloody well taking their time. My main point which streamliner picked up on was their color selections are freekin awful and they seem to think that they are always right.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:37 AM

Agreed 100%...check out the Vette visualizer which is not the finished guide but gives an idea....I have already put in for Rapid Blue with natural dipped interior which like the red interior above will be a soft camel color and yet I hear from those in the know that so many like me have asked for the matching rapid blue all over interior as well, plus I would want the blue calipers. This is the MB board so it is OT but also to another poster I believe you will be able to order magnetic ride separately at a later stage. Regardless, was just talking about the boring interiors and color selection by MB and just wish they had more competition from elsewhere to at least give me a choice, but until then I will stick with them.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:08 AM

Coming from the BMW world they have the exact same complaints about the interior selection and sometimes lack of paint colors and I have seen the same on Audi forums... especially about the interiors.. maybe its more a German thing with Porsche being the outlier? Porsche will give you anything you want- for usually a steep price...
rorywquin (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No way the 'Decision Makers' at Porsche can be considered 'True Germans'...

Not 'stubborn' enough about their Exterior/Interior color choices!...

However, having said that, I will also say this:

Long Live my Palladium Silver Metallic MB 231 SL550 with Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Nappa and Burlwood Trim, including the Steering Wheel....

Last edited by bob55; 07-26-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
At first glance, I did not think I liked the new C8 Corvette, but it is growing on me. I hope that GM will realize—unlike Ferrari & others—that many—especially older—would be C8 buyers would VERY much appreciate the availability of a full array of electronic safety measures, such as the MB Driver’s Assistance Pkg. offers. All of the components are sitting in various GM parts bins, they just need to make them available. They should also make the Magnetic Ride Control available separate from the bone crushing Z51 package. I, too, would go for the Rapid Blue with the “Natural” interior, but I would have to sit in those seats and see how comfortable/uncomfortable they may be. In the C8 videos, I feel there was way too much talk about owners “tracking” their cars, something that is probably done by a very tiny percentage of Corvette buyers. All that said, if the safety options were there and I found it reasonably comfortable, I’d buy one just for fun.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Long Live my Palladium Silver Metallic MB 231 SL550 with Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Nappa and Burlwood Trim, including the Steering Wheel
Obviously a rare color combination, congratulations! How about some photos?
Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Obviously a rare color combination, congratulations! How about some photos?
I've tried to, but each time I attempt to post a pic or even view one of yours here, I get the following message:

"The Client and Server does not support a common SSL protocol or cipher suite"

From the error detail: "This is likely because the server needs RC4 which is no longer considered secure"

Note: (Using Chrome Browser on a Windows Laptop - No such issues on any other forums, just this one!) Apparently my Google Browser doesn't find this stie's (cimg1.ibsrv.net) pic server to be 'secure'....

FWIW, I also noticed this site is full of ads and 'tracking cookies'....

(Using Ghostery and an Ad Blocker helps)...

Last edited by bob55; 07-28-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by branmin
I'm getting one of these, but convinced if they wouldn't be so farty and old fashioned in their ideas, they would sell far more cars and yet over the years dealing with the Germans in business it was always "Nein" and we are always right mentality.
Rapid Blue for me..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1-tbJtpN90
Horses for courses.......
Old 07-26-2019, 04:59 PM

1961 SL190 SO bad ***

Streamliner (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 05:51 PM

At first glance, I did not think I liked the new C8 Corvette, but it is growing on me. I hope that GM will realize—unlike Ferrari & others—that many—especially older—would be C8 buyers would VERY much appreciate the availability of a full array of electronic safety measures, such as the MB Driver’s Assistance Pkg. offers. All of the components are sitting in various GM parts bins, they just need to make them available. They should also make the Magnetic Ride Control available separate from the bone crushing Z51 package. I, too, would go for the Rapid Blue with the “Natural” interior, but I would have to sit in those seats and see how comfortable/uncomfortable they may be. In the C8 videos, I feel there was way too much talk about owners “tracking” their cars, something that is probably done by a very tiny percentage of Corvette buyers. All that said, if the safety options were there and I found it reasonably comfortable, I’d buy one just for fun.

Interior looks great but really dont like the dividing of the passenger from the driver like that- no sale- one reason I didnt even look at the Jaguar F series...
Old 07-26-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 SL400
Originally Posted by Dino333
Interior looks great but really dont like the dividing of the passenger from the driver like that- no sale- one reason I didnt even look at the Jaguar F series...
Agree on that divider - but it's way more pronounced than the F-Type. I had an F-Type for a few years and me and the Mrs. didn't mind that divider too much.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by .LMS.
Agree on that divider - but it's way more pronounced than the F-Type. I had an F-Type for a few years and me and the Mrs. didn't mind that divider too much.
True Story the F Series is a "true" "grab it whilst on the track handle" still didnt like it but its nothing like this new Corvette- I mean can you even see your passenger over all that sh*t? I do like the buttons on it though.
They gave some engineer too much leeway lol
Old 07-26-2019, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tried to, but anytime I try to view or post a pic here, I get the following message:

"The Client and Server does not support a common SSL protocol or cipher suite"

From the error detail: "This is likely because the server needs RC4 which is no longer considered secure"

Note: (Using Google's Chrome Browser on a Windows Laptop - No such issues on any othe forums, just this one!)
Try contacting someone on the Site & Support forum. They were helpful to me. It’s funny, but I use a Mac and iPad, with no problems posting photos on this site, but find it impossible to post photos on some other sites. Go figure.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 SL400
Originally Posted by Dino333
True Story the F Series is a "true" "grab it whilst on the track handle"
I never tracked mine (it was a convertible), but I will admit to using it for that regularly on my favorite twisty road.
Dino333 (07-26-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
That interior looks like a heap of baby poo.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by rorywquin
That interior looks like a heap of baby poo.
Complaining again? Boo Hoo. It's a stunner.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by branmin
Complaining again? Boo Hoo. It's a stunner.
Seems you do not understand the difference between a comment and a complaint............however, it still is the coloUr of baby poo.

Last edited by rorywquin; 07-27-2019 at 03:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Why cant MB use some imagination?