SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: My Review after 2 months and 1500 miles 2017 Sl550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 10:19 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
My Review after 2 months and 1500 miles 2017 Sl550

Well yall sorry been out of pocket for a couple months- busy at work- I finally have a review of my chariot. SOme good some not so good. But I do love my SL in spite of it all.

In a way, this car reminds me of "older" sports cars- you had to make some sacrifices- but in this case, they need not be there... after all this is an SL.
Kinda long sorry read about that...but I broke it up into bite sized chunks

The Imperfect Perfect car…
(Knowing that no car is but...)

As a few of you know, I have had a 4 month ordeal getting my SL550 -its been a long and winding road, that’s for sure. So after Mercedes bought the first one back from me as a total lemon- I bought this SL550 with 8500 miles on it- CPO for $ 78,000

Has ABC, Magic Sky- doesn't have B&O system. I have driven it 1500 miles and have some thoughts about this rarest of cars...

This review is largely for those who are thinking of buying one, but obviously you owners will relate (or not) .

I will grade each aspect of the car A-F

I have had a number of mid-high end cars in my 40 year driving history. Triumph TR7 back in the day, 327 SB Camaro, VW Scirocco 16V, BMW Z4M Coupe, 3 ea. E46 ZHP BMW, Audi A6 2.7T among many others. Currently I have a 2015 S550 Coupe (That I will do some slight comparisons with my new SL- and trust me the S is worlds above the SL in many ways)

Currently I have a 2019 F-150 and VW Golf R for me and my wife's daily's- and my wife has an M2 2018 LCI bought new with 16k miles on it. The S550 is in the process of being sold- what a great ride it was (is).

WHY I BOUGHT THE SL?

Having the S550 Coupe- I wanted a convertible but while I LIKE the look of high end fabric tops- the practicality of a hard top is just too hard to pass up. I like a smaller car than the S550 and I love that its lower to the ground as well. Having an F150 pickup for a daily driver- I wanted the polar opposite for my “weekend” car- and this is it

Driving the SL is more of an “event” than the S- that is a highway cruiser like no other- but the SL has many attributes more than that – Convertible, Coupe, lower, hit the twisties or cruise the seaside or shopping district…

While the S550 is a better car in almost every respect vs the SL (Should it be?) the SL is just the best of all worlds- an actual (Quiet? More on that later) Coupe and the best top down experience maybe of any car on the road?

And the SL is smaller in almost every way- and I wanted a smaller car. But as w eknow the SL isn’t as small as it seems- its within .5” in width as the mighty S! Also while the S Coupe is a baller- its not as special (to me) as the SL. The SL is a much better back road in the twisties than the S. The S is for slow boulevard cruising or highway blasting but shows its almost 5000 lb. weight in the backroads. And the SL550 is great at both of those.

The S550 Coupe is 4850 lbs. while the SL550 is ~450 lb. less than that- a huge difference. Although the S Coupe hides that weight really well with the Airmatic suspension, the SL, while not light, with ABC really flattens the ride.

I am happy - MOSTLY- with the SL over the mighty S coupe.

1> EXTERNAL DESIGN. B-

Obviously, I like the design of the car, I bought it and searched for 6 months for one- but there is of course room for discussion. And a lot has been said and written- so at this point it is kind of a moot point, but…

This is not a good or bad as it is totally subjective but this car looks much better in person than in pictures, I will say that. But I will also say that it is not all that pretty and nowhere as cool looking as some previous years SLs that’s for sure.

But it’s a very nice car that from some angles looks great and some angles looks …meh

I like the understated-ness completely and do get stares and thumbs up from those who “know” Perfect- I didn’t want an Extroverted car- I thought the Jag F looks better but didn’t want the “race var” look- SL fits the bill perfectly

It does have some hints of the “Pagoda” Design of decades back. And one thing about the cars “Green house” is that with the SUNROOF (So cool) the car is almost all glass and can get a bit hotter in hot climes- the AC is a 8 out 10 could be a bit stronger but no problem. But I think I am going have the top glass with Xpel clear ceramic that will reflect a lot of the heat away and keep it a bit cooler. But again, totally cool to have almost a SECOND convertible of sorts.

Of course since this is a convertible, aerodynamics of the green house has to be taken into account and of course Mercedes hits that out of the park. My wife and I can go 75 mph with windows up and the wind diffuser in the back elevated- you can talk, light a lighter and has very little cross wind ingress. Amazing.

To my eye, I believe one problem is that the overhang over the nose is about 2” too long. A little nip and tuck there, keeping the same design, would make it still have a long hood (That we all like) but its just too much hangover the front wheels IMO. And even if you don’t agree, your wrong lol.

I must say that for my car I was not even looking for a blue one- I wanted silver for a variety of reasons and really didn’t have a 2nd choice- But I absolutely love this blue- its deep in the darker days with a hint of bright blue at certain angles and then is BRIGHT, but very rich, blue on sunny days with hints of dark at different sun angles. I will love this color for a long time.

I also think the models without ABC simply ride too high and show too much wheel arch gap- my opinion but…

But I think it will age well however and be unique forever.

INTERIOR/DASHBOARD: A

I LOVE it. The “old school” dashboard and buttons is just an old style touchscreens LOL but the driving position to me is perfect. Everything is in perfect reach- it looks expensive AND there is more storage than you would think. Love the leather everywhere and the high end looking piping on the seats. But my big negative is later on , at least my, interior. I have the wood and leather steering wheel- perfect size perfect shape and I personally love the fell of the wood and leather while driving. Solid A for the place that you actually see while driving.

SEATS: D Pretty important metric and I think they are just not that good.

Oh the Seats. Dam almost a deal breaker for me and maybe for some looking to buy? They LOOK fantastic and have all the goodies, AC/Heated, Airscarf, massage Active side bolsters adjustable headrests- and they look fantastic what more do you want?

Well I would want it SOFTER- this is a GT car- with “Sporting” aspirations- so make the seat more COMFORT oriented rather than sport. This is pretty much a hard seat. Period. And Why is the bottom padding so thin that the side of your hip bones hit the seat frame? Its just so tight- I am very average 6’ 210 lb- by no means big- so its not like I’m some heavy and wide dude. Oh there’s more, Why is the back of the seat so hard?- and the headrest, because of the airscarf, only goes up and down and not forward at all. To actually REST your Head on the HEADREST you have to lean pretty far back. Id sacrifice the airscarf for more adjustment in the headrests.

I have to compare these seats to the S Coupe seats- The S coupe seats is VERY comfortable, if not a bit too soft- but the active side bolsters in those still give you less lean in sporty driving. But the seats kick ***.

Just use the same Seats that BMW uses and stamp an MB logo in them. Even my old BMW 435 Gran Coupe – I gotta say almost every BMW seat is better than the seats in the SL. My Wife’s M2 uses the OLD BMW seats and they are more comfortable than the SL seats.

Big miss to me and potential buyers. I will get used to them, get a butt pad of some kind but shouldn’t have to.

AS A CONVERTIBLE: A

I mean, is there a better CONVERTIBLE on the market?. The only think keeping this from being an A+ is that I wish the rear diffuser was a bit shorter and all glass- would just be the cherry on top of the coolness factor that the SL has. With the windows up and the back diffuser up, you can carry on a normal conversation at 70 MPH! Wundebar! Or drop everything down for a completely “classic” look Really, you cant ask for anything more. Next no cowl shake, very solid.

STORAGE: A – not a heavily weighted metric but it does have better than average storage

Much more than one would think. Love the 8-10” behind the seats and the storage Bins- Wish both were lockable. Even though it’s a danger to your rotator cuff- the sliding cupholders at the back of the center tunnel adds some really good storage space- I store my Oakleys back there. Great job Merc. The trunk is very decent with the top up and really not terrible with it down.

MMI: C (So should have been better)

Love the CarPlay- and it keeps this from being a “D” for me. I even don’t have a problem with the small screen (I like that it doesn’t looked like a “tacked on Ipad” like so many other cars. But really this older version of COMAND doesn’t show a gauge for sound volume increase or decrease – Just plain silly. Would LOVE the redundant volume button on the center tunnel like the S- once you get used to that you don’t go back. But the biggest thing is the joke called Mbrace- just include all that stuff from the get go on $ 110-140k cars!! Why do we have to monkey with this and then get slow internet service. 2017 had all this technology and on cars much less expensive. WTF MB. And remote start should just be a given. Even with ABC when the vehicle is rising there is no graphic or wording that tells you - in the S you get this alert and it stays on as long as the car is risen.

SOUND SYSTEM: F Solid F (And not that’s its terrible – it’s the principle)
The REAR SPEAKERS HAVE TO BE WIRED UP? W T F ???

Well it’s the “base” HK system and no it really doesn’t suck- but this is such BS- why am I having to do this “connect that back speakers thing’? SERIOUSLY MB? WTF this should be hooked up the sound system should be PRIMO- pure BS IMO. Does anyone know of a company in Austin San Antonio or Houston that “hooks” these up?

We should all be on the forums praising the sound systems in these cars as the best of the best- yet most HYUNDAI'S will kill it. And DO NOT pay for the B&O _ listened to one for 4 weeks in my previous 2017 that MB bought back from me, and it was TOTALLY not worth it IMO.

ON THE ROAD/ABC: A-

I love the seating position and the ride with the ABC. It is really pretty much perfect. When the roads get a bit crappy OR when your heading out to the backroads. This thing can carry more speed into a corner than you would think- not race car like but handles flawlessly with the ABC with such minimal lean making up for the relatively heavy weight transfer. Perfect cruiser top up or down fast slow whatever- the SL drives exactly like I want. My wifes M2 is so tightly wound suspension wise that while the steering is pretty amazing, its just to much caffeine for me- great to borrow hers once in a while for sure but I get tired of it. Another area I wished the seats were just a bit plusher though…

MBRACE? WTF?- D-

Just put Wi-Fi (And not the slow old radio chip type that are in the SL at this time) but don’t make us install

EXCLUSIVITY A+
If you want a car that looks unlike any other- this is yours. I mean what do they sell now in USA like 400 of them? Less? The look is totally unique, as has been beat to death. Its low its wide its going to look better and better with age IMO. Head turner? Some- and nothing else will ever look like it in the future. I still think the ABC versions should be .5” lower and the Non ABC almost 1” lower to look MUCH better IMO.

Other Observations:
1> 450 vs 550- subjective of course.

But if Buying or leasing new or unlimited funds - A 450 with ABC…

Since I was dead set on ABC- finding a good used one is next to impossible, so I went the S550 as there are more choices. I can see after driving it that the 450 is the one to get. The 150 lb. over the front is substantial and the 450 would be better and slightly more nimble for sure. I love the 550 especially the engine sound in Sport- really perfect and in no way would the 6 cylinder supply the midrange torque this thing has- I punch it just to feel the G forces LOL. So while the 8 cylinder is heavier and does carry more weight into twisty roads at medium to high speeds- the ABC mitigates that and makes it totally livable and enjoyable. Also I like to tell the kids to get off of my damn lawn with the V-8! Long live internal combustion horsepower! LOL There I said it. But I would assume there is more “sport” in the 450 with just as much “GT” where the 550 is for sure more “GT”. But the thing that breaks the tie is the gas mileage. I will get 20 average and 24 highway- np I expected that and while gas is relatively cheap – no problem. But the 20% boost in gas mileage with the 6 cylinder is a fair bonus. I am very happy with the V8 of course and will love its endless power for a long time and have zero regrets at all- but the V6 makes more sense, saves ~20k (a pretty big amount) and gets better gas mileage.

2> SERIOUSLY MISSING:

The real overhead 360 degree surround camera system that almost every other Mercedes includes or it is an option. This car is long and I find it hard to judge all the things around. Nearly as much as my pickup because I care if I rash my expensive AMG wheels on my SL. It does have the sensors and the little graphics- and the LEDs fore and aft- but all of that is not a substitute after using the full camera surround system on my S550 and last BMW 4 series I had. That is technology that so should have been on the SL IMO.

This car is large enough to need it- again no brainer on a 130k car IMO.

3> UNDER THE RADAR COOL THING
The back windows. Perfect vent for smokers (of any kind of ANY "tobacco" lol) and can be lowered by themselves with out the buffeting that you get from larger 4 door car windows. Also makes the greenhouse look sleeker by adding a 2nd window- a big fan and a very nice higher end touch.

4> COULD BE A DEAL BREAKER- I am sure this is just mine and not any of y’alls.
BUT MY CAR IS A RATTLY SQUEAKY MESS- especially when cold.

Ok its not THAT bad but really, this car rattles and squeaks more than any premium car I have owed. And I don’t know about your cars- but this is only a 2017 that I bought with 8500 miles on it- pretty low. But inside this thing is a rattle trap. It LOOKS perfect, but with the top up there are 4 distinct “areas” of rattle over less than perfect pavement. I went to Mercedes of Alexandria to drive and buy the car- 5 minutes in a car, you know how that goes. But heard no squeaks it was a pretty hot day. Then it went straight to Xpel to get the film treatment and when I picked it up it was still pretty hot in Texas – but since it has gotten cold- this thing is a rattle and squeak school bus. I mean the interior is immaculate

Not a single mark anywhere. It was not in a wreck (that they reported lol) but it tracks perfectly at 100 mph no cowl shake- this has not been damaged from what I can tell – its pretty much “Pristine”

I mean my wifes aforementioned M2 SHOULD be a rattle trap but only over the worst Texas “B” road “pebble pavement” do you get a FEW rattles but MUCH less than mine. Her is a 2018 with 16,000 miles! I mean I might even take it to a Mercedes dealer and pay them to drive it for 40-50 miles isolate them and “fix” them. One I swear is inside the dash board and probably CANT be fixed. My S550 30k miles 2015 model ZERO rattles OVER ANY PAVEMENT. If this car didn’t rattle I could EASILY overlook it quite a few flaws listed above and LOVE the car for the amazing machine it is. So the jurys out, I will do what I can do- I really wanted that Mercedes “Vault like” experience from the best? Hard top convertible “sports car” in the world (Under 150k)

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Part of the issue that I have with the SL is that I thought it was the build and vault quality of my S. It’s not. I am of the opinion that Mercedes truly has treated the SL in a “lame duck” state- I agree it shouldn’t get all the newest of the new- no problem – but it should have some features as STANDARD that many lesser cars have. It clearly is not the vault like quality of the S and I think it should be. I also think they should have put “S” class features in the “SL” even though I understand they are not the same “family” But Mercedes OBVIOUSLY thinks they are close enough to share feature sets and quality as they are merging the S Coupe and the SL in the 2021 iteration- strange that.

But all of the above said, good and bad, I really do love this car, it’s uniqueness, style, cool factor, drivability, Its Power, the ultimate Versatility Hard top coupe/convertible. It drives like a dream- the 8 cylinder grunt is fantastic the sound in Sport is great without being teenage loud. The drive top up or down is sublime, still think that had MB addressed the stereo thing and the less than adequate seats. And with these two things being "SL worthy" could have made this a classic for decades (Like the real OG the Lexus SC430)

I would recommend any potential buy to do a Turo or rent if you can the 450 vs the 550 and see if the differences sway you one way or the other. And know that you wont be a getting a top notch audio experience.
But the SL is still the boss- maybe getting a bit old and rickety in spots- but still just a great, exclusive, powerful ride.

Last edited by Dino333; 12-17-2019 at 09:47 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Dino333:
Glowering (03-28-2021), MBNUT1 (12-17-2019), rfb3 (06-26-2023), SLclass (12-16-2019), TennesseeZ4 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Enjoyed the read this morning with my coffee! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, observations, and photos!
The following users liked this post:
Dino333 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
1986 560SL, 2017 E300, 2018 Sl550, 2020 E350
Hi Dino,

Well done write up !

My comments:

Rattles: I have none on my 2018 SL550 w/ABC/ magic sky ect bought new with 14K miles so maybe as yours is under warranty dealer should be able to fix

Seats: I'm 5'8 and 158# and for me seats are great...we take 200 mile trips and no issues on mine so don't understand ...daily driver is 2020 E and feels about same to me, wifes car is a 1986 560SL with 30K miles and her seats stiffer than the 550, also I'm used to Shelby Cobra and GT40 seats that are hard as rocks so the 550's feel great in comparison

Audio: Couldn't agree more and that is why I did the rear speaker fix.....now as it SHOULD have been all along.

550 vs 450: As a guy that has had big HP all my life I think the 550 is the way to go and I do feel a difference 550 to 450 so worth it to me....also I like to show the V8 BiTurbo badges on the sides.

ABC: As I plan to keep the car like you only thing I'm worried about is maintaining the ABC system but, to me having it is worth the concerns.

Again a great write up and I mostly agree with all your musings.

Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by steve sl550:
Dino333 (12-16-2019), SLclass (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Solid read and happy you ended up with a nice SL! Blue suits the car's design IMO.
Agree with several points but can't quite follow your opinions on the seats as I find them excellent for a roadster and had none of the issue with padding that you are experiencing. Neither would I want the plush living room seating from the S-Class in a two seater. That said, I love BMW's upper back seat adjustments! Wish MB would copy that design...
We have the performance seats in our AMG's which are more or less bucket seats with half the padding and zero headrest adjustment and give you a snug fit with near zero room to move. Very different experience.
On the facelifted SL it definitely feels like they increased the overhang a bit to reshape the front-end without a major re-design. Still a sharp looking car.

I would take note of all the rattles and make a service appointment for getting it fixed. Our SL's were extremely solid with no rattles. Sometimes the roof can make noises which are typically small adjustments to the mechanism and/or lubing the rubber seals. Think they use some silicone lubricant.

In regards to tech, we have had the 2015 S550 sedan and the 2017 SL550 at the time but apart from the eye candy in the S, the car was technically a notch below the SL. Distronic Plus is better, better auto-steering, Apple CarPlay is light years ahead on music and navigation (Apple, Google, Waze). The SL Internet should also be much faster than the S due to LTE but nobody in their right mind should get the in-car Internet. Too much for too little.

As for Mbrace, this is the curse of low volume production cars to get features last, no matter the price. Our AMG GTC is probably on par with a 2015 SL with Mbrace and only got CarPlay added in the 2020 models. Worst than the SL's...

Last edited by Wolfman; 12-16-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Solid read and happy you ended up with a nice SL! Blue suits the car's design IMO.
Agree with several points but can't quite follow your opinions on the seats as I find them excellent for a roadster and had none of the issue with padding that you are experiencing. Neither would I want the plush living room seating from the S-Class in a two seater. That said, I love BMW's upper back seat adjustments! Wish MB would copy that design...
We have the performance seats in our AMG's which are more or less bucket seats with half the padding and zero headrest adjustment and give you a snug fit with near zero room to move. Very different experience.
On the facelifted SL it definitely feels like they increased the overhang a bit to reshape the front-end without a major re-design. Still a sharp looking car.

I would take note of all the rattles and make a service appointment for getting it fixed. Our SL's were extremely solid with no rattles. Sometimes the roof can make noises which are typically small adjustments to the mechanism and/or lubing the rubber seals. Think they use some silicone lubricant.

In regards to tech, we have had the 2015 S550 sedan and the 2017 SL550 at the time but apart from the eye candy in the S, the car was technically a notch below the SL. Distronic Plus is better, better auto-steering, Apple CarPlay is light years ahead on music and navigation (Apple, Google, Waze). The SL Internet should also be much faster than the S due to LTE but nobody in their right mind should get the in-car Internet. Too much for too little.

As for Mbrace, this is the curse of low volume production cars to get features last, no matter the price. Our AMG GTC is probably on par with a 2015 SL with Mbrace and only got CarPlay added in the 2020 models. Worst than the SL's...
Thanks for reading that long thing- I didnt know it was getting that long lol
As far as the seats go- I do agree I wouldnt want the ultimate plush of the S- but I have sat in 3 SLs- including the gray one I returned- and all of them had seat bottoms that stuck me in the lower side of my hips- and more than one reviewer said that same thing on You Tube. I am 6'0 215 so very medium. And MB isnt the only one that does this- I like the Jaguar F- think it looks better but its seats were even worse than the SL. And I really wish the headrests went for and aft or alt least mechanically. Yes I think I got spoiled a bit as I get older (60) that I like a bit more comfort than sport and BMW spoiled me- with the seats at least. Butt there's a 1000 but pads and I have already found a good one that is almost made for the seat.

I am not sure that the rattles can be found- and I have noticed that the warmer it is, the less I hear it almost gone- but as things get cold (35-45) things "brittle up" and I hear them more. 3 primary places and ones like along the steering column, where it meets the dash I THINK LOL tracing them down is tricky as we all know- but I have tried to no avail to "find" them. Hope they aren't internal. But if I can at least take half away, Ill be OK.
And I will get the rear speakers hooked up - which is just silly to have to deal with .

None of them are deal breakers as the rattles dont happen on the interstates usually more on rougher pea gravel roads that we in Texas have more than our share sadly. And I know that 2 of the 3 will get fixed somehow.
Its just a fantastic drive and car- I think unlike any other. Just could have been less frustrating had MB at least made the speakers right- one less thing to have to F with.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
A most enjoyable and informative review - thanks for taking the time to write it. I quite agree that the SL has a great sense of occasion whenever you take it out. My 550 is non ABC but the ride is fine by me - was not expecting an S-Class level ride. It also seems to soften up after 5-10 minutes as things warm up.

Regarding the audio system, I did that tweek in the settings that activated the fader option into the main screen and the sound is much better because of it. Not as far forward.

Like Wolfman I also find the seats very comfortable for long journeys, but then I am 142 pounds and 5'7".

Your 6'0" and 215 sounds "medium" for Texas :-)

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 12-17-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Dino333 (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
A most enjoyable and informative review - thanks for taking the time to write it. I quite agree that the SL has a great sense of occasion whenever you take it out. My 550 is non ABC but the ride is fine by me - was not expecting an S-Class level ride. It also seems to soften up after 5-10 minutes as things warm up.

Regarding the audio system, I did that tweek in the settings that activated the fader option into the main screen and the sound is much better because of it. Not as far forward.

Like Wolfman I also find the seats very comfortable for long journeys, but then I am 142 pounds and 5'7".

Your 6'0" and 215 sounds "medium" for Texas :-)

Chris
I am not familiar with this:
I did that tweek in the settings that activated the fader option into the main screen and the sound is much better because of it. Not as far forward.
?

And yes lots of BBQ here in Austin-San Antonio as well as awesome Mexican Food soooo 215 is on the LOW end in these parts LOL

Trending Topics

Old 12-17-2019, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 318 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I have noted that as the temperatures fall my SL has a few noises that I never heard when it was warmer. One in particular is a vibrational buzzing when the engine is idling with the transmission in Drive. If I put it in Park the vibration and noise goes away. I also hear a few roof creaks but they seem to go away after a few miles of driving.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by rmorin49
I have noted that as the temperatures fall my SL has a few noises that I never heard when it was warmer. One in particular is a vibrational buzzing when the engine is idling with the transmission in Drive. If I put it in Park the vibration and noise goes away. I also hear a few roof creaks but they seem to go away after a few miles of driving.
Engine mounts?
Old 12-17-2019, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Deleted

Last edited by bob55; 12-17-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Engine mounts?
Could be, but be sure to check the transmission mounts as well!

Old 12-17-2019, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Engine and/or transmission mounts are my thoughts as well. I will have dealer check them when it is in for service in the spring. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:54 PM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by Dino333
I am not familiar with this:
I did that tweek in the settings that activated the fader option into the main screen and the sound is much better because of it. Not as far forward.
?
The tweak is buried in the long thread here.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...em-solved.html

Jump to post #83 and after #134

Essentially there is a fader option buried in the engineering menu that you can turn on. Its a COMMAND system option intended for 4-seater cars but can be activated in the SL. Makes a massive difference. Turn the Bass and Treble to maximum and push the Fader back by about 5 or 6 and the sound moves notably towards you and is much more resonant with the rear speakers actually audible. I am reasonably happy with the sound now. All it seems because of a stupid decision to make the full surround capabilities of the audio obsolete DVD Audio only, but the Fader option is in there!

Chris

Dino333 (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Does this "tweak" work on pre-facelift cars? Mine is a 2015. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:55 PM

Does this "tweak" work on pre-facelift cars? Mine is a 2015. Thanks.
Yes it certainly does. Mine is a 2013. Not 100% sure on post facelift cars as MB may have restricted access.

Chris
Old 12-18-2019, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I was able to access the menu and found a selection that I changed from "Balance" to "Balance and Fader". However when I exited and tried to use the Fader control I could not find any way to do this in the Audio settings. Do I need to do an update or reset? I did not see any selection that said enabling "Surround and Fade". Perhaps my '15 does not support this?

Last edited by rmorin49; 12-18-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:36 AM

I was able to access the menu and found a selection that I changed from "Balance" to "Balance and Fader". However when I exited and tried to use the Fader control I could not find any way to do this in the Audio settings. Do I need to do an update or reset? I did not see any selection that said enabling "Surround and Fade". Perhaps my '15 does not support this?
You have done good. All you need to do is turn off and reboot the COMMAND system. I found just turning off the car and leaving it for 30 minutes worked. When I came back all of a sudden the fader slider was visible.

Chris
Old 12-18-2019, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
You are spot on! Just went back out to my car and guess what, the fader slider is now present. I moved it back to about a -4. I can actually hear the rear speakers now. Thanks very much for this information. This forum is great!

Happy Holidays to everyone!
TennesseeZ4 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I doubt that making changes to the Engineering Menu will change very many opinions about the 231's HK sound system. I'm sure there's a reason why MB set up the system the way they did and then left it that same way throughout the 231's 2013-2020 model run. Seems MB intended the 231's rear speakers to be mainly 'surround speakers', so not that surprising the rear speakers are mostly 'inactive' when playing 2-channel stereo music. .

For those who simply must have better sound from the rear area of the car, it's probably best to follow Steve SL550's advice for adding a 2nd Amplifier for the rear area of your 231!

That said, for some of us, the 231's HK system is more than adequate just the way it comes from the factory, (or at least once the bass and treble output levels have been adjusted to +8 from Command's 'sound' menu as previously recommended).

I am not an 'Audiophile' by any stretch of the imagination, but FWIW, I find the HK system in the 231 'on par' with the Bose System in my 2006 CL55 AMG, and very similar sounding to the 230 SL series I formerly owned. (No better mind you, but certainly no worse either)....And frankly, that's 'good enough' for me when listening to Sirius XM Satellite Stereo music in the 231 Coupe/Roadster, (particularly for 'top down' driving).

Note/Disclaimer: Sirius XM is the music source I listen to 99% of the time that I'm in my 231. However, YMMV may apply when listening to a 'different' music source.

Last edited by bob55; 12-19-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I agree. My 70 year old ears can't appreciate HIFI after 20+ years in the Army.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by bob55
I doubt that making changes to the Engineering Menu will change very many opinions about the 231's HK sound system. I'm sure there's a reason why MB set up the system the way they did and then left it that same way throughout the 231's 2013-2020 model run. Seems MB intended the 231's rear speakers to be mainly 'surround speakers', so not so surprising those surround speakers are 'inactive' when playing 2-channel stereo music. .

For those who simply must have better sound from the rear area of the car, it's probably best to follow Steve SL550's advice for adding a 2nd Amplifier for the rear area of your 231!

That said, for some of us, the 231's HK system is more than adequate just the way it comes from the factory, (or at least once the bass and treble output levels have been adjusted to +8 from Command's 'sound' menu as previously recommended).

I am not an 'Audiophile' by any stretch of the imagination, but FWIW, I find the HK system in the 231 'on par' with the Bose System in my 2006 CL55 AMG, (no better, but certainly no worse either)....And for me, that's plenty 'good enough' for listening to Sirius XM Satellite Stereo music in a Coupe/Roadster, (particularly 'top down' driving).

Note/Disclaimer: Sirius XM is the music source I listen to 99% of the time that I'm in my 231. However, YMMV may apply when listening to a 'different' music source.

Yes a rear amplifier would be what an audiophile would go for. However I find that the factory system is just a bit too far forward and the tweak moves it back just a bit and for me is "good enough". (Mainly for music from a USB stick) I immediately noticed the absence of a Fader when buying my car and remember asking the service personnel who of course had no idea!
Old 07-28-2020, 08:28 AM

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
I know this thread is a bit old, but the complaint about the seat brought back a memory of when we were test driving SLs for our first purchase. The dealer had two 2013 models and initially we couldn't decide between them until we test drove both. In one car I found the seat noticeably less comfortable than the other car. Didn't make sense to me at the time. We bought the other SL, mainly because it had 18" wheels and a better ride, but also because of the seat. The other car had 19" wheels (neither had ABC).

After some time with the car I noticed that there's an adjustment for the seat cushion bolsters that allows you to tighten or loosen them. On our car the bolster was in the widest setting and I noticed if I moved the adjustment even just one notch tighter it felt like the other car felt -- too tight for me. The other car probably had the seat cushion bolsters narrowed. So if you haven't figured it out by now I suggest checking that seat setting and verify your seat cushion (not back) bolsters are all the way open. It made a big difference for me.

On the fader -- I've found that moving the fader towards the rear a small amount helps the sound. But if you move the fader too far to the rear you start to get some really strange sounds out of the rear speakers when music is playing. I usually listen to Sirius XM stations. So if you really want solid sound from the rear you'll want that amp mod. My biggest complaint is that most of the sound comes out of that one center dash speaker.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 148 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Dino333

3> UNDER THE RADAR COOL THING
The back windows. Perfect vent for smokers (of any kind of ANY "tobacco" lol) and can be lowered by themselves with out the buffeting that you get from larger 4 door car windows. Also makes the greenhouse look sleeker by adding a 2nd window- a big fan and a very nice higher end touch.
How do you lower just the rears? Put all 4 down and then fronts up??
Old 07-30-2020, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I think you are right. I haven't found a way to lower only the rear windows. I also didn't realize the first time I raised the windows that you have to hold the button up after the front windows are closed in order to fully raise the rear windows.

Last edited by rmorin49; 07-31-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 148 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
I think you are right. I haven't found a way to lower only the rear windows. I also didn't realize the first time I raised the windows that you have to hold the button up after the front windows are closed in order to fully raise the rear windows.
it strikes me that, unlike all my other MBs, the door-mounted window switches are express down, but not express up. I'll check that later, as well as the console "all-windows" switch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: My Review after 2 months and 1500 miles 2017 Sl550