SL/R231: Eco Vs Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 08:52 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
Eco Vs Sport

Hello all,

I almost 100% drive in sport mode. The snappy/peppiness of the car is such a joy when in sport. I did switch to eco when we drove to Myrtlee Beach a few years ago to get better gas mileage. I wonder if it really makes a noticeable difference driving in one over the other? Not the way the car responds in either mode, but a noticeable difference as in better mileage per tankful?

I also hardly never drive in manual mode either. Unless it's a stick shift manual the paddles never really have done it for me on any car.

Which mode do you guys ride around in?

Old Today, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,281 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
I got the @BenzNinja tranny mod that adds the Agility (Sport+) mode and remembers your last setting when starting. (The throttle response is also tweaked for all modes.) If in E, you start in E. If in S, A, or M mode, the car starts in S mode. So, I am in S mode most of the time. The A mode significantly changes the responsiveness of the car. It shifts more quickly and holds the lower gears longer, ideal for twisty back roads.

I really don't know if the mode matters on highway, steady-state driving. My best mileage is when using Distronic+ (cruise control) because it keeps the speed steady.
Old Today, 09:05 AM

SL 400
On long rides I use cruise too, but since I recently have cut my highway driving in 1/2 from what I use to do I am only on the highway a few minutes.

Originally Posted by JettaRed
I got the @BenzNinja tranny mod that adds the Agility (Sport+) mode and remembers your last setting when starting. (The throttle response is also tweaked for all modes.) If in E, you start in E. If in S, A, or M mode, the car starts in S mode. So, I am in S mode most of the time. The A mode significantly changes the responsiveness of the car. It shifts more quickly and holds the lower gears longer, ideal for twisty back roads.

I really don't know if the mode matters on highway, steady-state driving. My best mileage is when using Distronic+ (cruise control) because it keeps the speed steady.
Old Today, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,281 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
The Agility mode is like getting a tune. Remember how it felt when you first got your tune.
Old Today, 09:11 AM

SL 400
Yeah... Eventually I will get the tool from Benz...

Originally Posted by JettaRed
The Agility mode is like getting a tune. Remember how it felt when you first got your tune.