SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Some SL65 RennTech Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65 VRP1000 and 20" Monolites
Some SL65 RennTech Questions

First off, I want to say "hello" to the MBWorld..

I have been a lurker for quite a while now, and have finally decided to register.

Last year I bought an 05 E55, and recently sold it, and purchased an SL 65.

My 65 supposedly has the RennTech ECU/TCU mods done, but I was wondering if there is any way to tell for sure. Is there some code in the software, or a special sticker, or something to verify that the RennTech mods were done.

My car does have the RennTech Carbon Fiber intake, and the 20" RennTech monolite wheels, so I'm assuming that the ECU and TCU mods are done, but I was just wondering if there is some way to tell, without me having to test the top speed to see if the speed limiter has been adjusted.

The reason I ask is because, although my car is very fast, I just raced my friend (who bought my E55 from me).

For my car being a 65, RennTech to boot, it was a very tight race.

When starting from a 30mph roll, both cars were neck and neck to about 100mph before my 65 started to pull him. And, even then, it was a slight pull, nothing definitive.

The E55 is bone stock.

Neither one of us did anything fancy with shifting or adjusting the transmissions, we both had them in Sport mode, Drive, and just mashed the gas on the 3rd honk.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
something sounds wrong. I can see the 55 jumping off the line until you spool up and get traction but not being even to 100mph. Even a stock 65 should take that 55 pretty easy. I would take it to a dyno and see what kind of numbers you make. They can check your 155mph limiter at the same time. Other then that I do not know of any ways to check the ecu. With the light weight wheels and the CF air box you should have walked away from a bone stock e55.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM

SL65 AMG
post some pics of your car. I want to see how the renntech wheels look on it.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
take traction control off next time, if the same results happen its probably your intercooler pump, go to the dealership and have them replace it, dont get suckered into renntechs intercooler upgrade, just replace the stock pump.

J
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
+1

A bad pump on the SL65 will make it run like a E55
Old 06-05-2007, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by SLK55R
yep check the pump!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by SLK55R

the easies thing to do would be to max it out (155+), cant take more than 20 seconds or so
Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 PM

e55 & sl65
I Own Both An E55 And Sl65 Both 2005. There Is No Comparison Between The Two Something Is Really Wrong!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Intercooler Pump

Ok, I was thinking that something like that may be the problem..

How exactly do I go about checking the Intercooler pump? Do I just take it into the dealer and say check it or is there something else?

I was also thinking that with the 20" tire/wheel combo, that with the taller tire it may have affected the final drive enough to take a little "pep" out of it..
But then my next thougth was that it's probably a good thing to have a bit taller final drive ratio..

I'll take it into the dealer on Friday, and ask them to check it. You guys are saying that I ought not waste my time on the Renntech IC pump then?

Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep everyone posted.

And, I'll post some pics of the tire/wheel combo once I take some..
Old 06-06-2007, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by New2this
Ok, I was thinking that something like that may be the problem..

How exactly do I go about checking the Intercooler pump? Do I just take it into the dealer and say check it or is there something else?

I was also thinking that with the 20" tire/wheel combo, that with the taller tire it may have affected the final drive enough to take a little "pep" out of it..
But then my next thougth was that it's probably a good thing to have a bit taller final drive ratio..

I'll take it into the dealer on Friday, and ask them to check it. You guys are saying that I ought not waste my time on the Renntech IC pump then?

Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep everyone posted.

And, I'll post some pics of the tire/wheel combo once I take some..
Hey service dude, you know that intercooler pump that craps out on all of the 55/600/65 cars, well mine just crapped out also, please replace promptly while i thrash your c class loaner car, thanks.

Oh yeah that renntech ic pump does not work better than stock, the stock system is more than adequate for modified HP
Old 06-06-2007, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
The 06 SL 65 has a problem with the intercooler system, which AMG has fixed in the 07s. Air pockets are usually found in the intercooler system which will cause the IATs to remain more than 200 degrees. Bring it to the local dealer, and have them bleed the system, sometimes more than twice. If the car has the Renntech mods, call Renntech and have them verify the VIN. They should have it on file.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:27 PM

Now that I'm thinking about it

Last night, I pulled out the air cleaners, and was a little suprised that the gaskets were all melted.

I figured that with the turbos that the underhood temps must just be high.

But, now that you guys are talking, I'm wondering that the IC pump must be toast, because those gaskets shouldn't be melted like that.

I just called the dealer, and the soonest they can get me in, is Tuesday. So, I'm going to get it in then.

Also, I'll call RennTech between now and then and ask them to crossreference via the VIN and figure out everything they did.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Last night, I pulled out the air cleaners, and was a little suprised that the gaskets were all melted.

I figured that with the turbos that the underhood temps must just be high.

But, now that you guys are talking, I'm wondering that the IC pump must be toast, because those gaskets shouldn't be melted like that.

I just called the dealer, and the soonest they can get me in, is Tuesday. So, I'm going to get it in then.

Also, I'll call RennTech between now and then and ask them to crossreference via the VIN and figure out everything they did.

Thanks for all the help, and I'll keep you posted.
My research has been that the airpockets are a problem in all of the biturbo cars and that all should be flushed multiple times. FYI this will NOT cause any melting of gaskets. The gaskets in the biturbo motors have an extra overhang to seal the airbox properly, if this is what you are talking about im sure you are fine. PM me your email and ill send you pics if you need clarification. This happens frequently in the turbo cars, IF your dealer gives you trouble I can show you how to datalog it the intake temps.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Some Pics of my Tire/Wheel Combo

Here are some quick pics that I took this morning of my RennTech Monolite wheels..

They're a little dirty, but not too bad.
Attached Thumbnails Some SL65 RennTech Questions-dsc00114.jpg   Some SL65 RennTech Questions-dsc00115.jpg   Some SL65 RennTech Questions-dsc00116.jpg  
Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 AM

OO7 CLS63///G55TANK ///S80-T6///R1///R6
Originally Posted by E55JAY
take traction control off next time, if the same results happen its probably your intercooler pump, go to the dealership and have them replace it, dont get suckered into renntechs intercooler upgrade, just replace the stock pump.

J
My 65 was the first one with the intercooler default, or I guess I was the first one to notice it. It took two weeks to figure it out after they flew in technicians from germany.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:47 AM

Just an Update

I took my car into the dealer this morning, and this afternoon, they finally called me.

When I dropped the car off, the tech asked what was wrong. I told him that I didn't have the power that I thougth that I should have, and I suggested that it was the IC pump. He said OK, I'll have my master tech look at it.

This afternoon he called me and said that they checked the codes, and most of the errors that they saw were from the RennTech ECU flash. But he did say that the Air Inlet Temps should have put off the check engine light, and that they were apparently high.

I said, that sounds like the Intercooler pump. I told him that I did some internet work and said that it must be fairly common to have air pockets in the IC system and that the IC system should be flushed and possibly replaced.

He said, well, I'll have my master tech keep digging into the high AITs and let me know more tomorrow.

He also asked if I knew which RennTech shop did the mods. I told him that I knew it was the main hq in Florida. So, Bob if youre out there, you may be getting a call concerning my car.

I have a sneaky suspicion that they are going to try and weasel their way out of fixing the IC pump.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
EuroElites has one SL 65 having the same problem. It doesn't matter if the ECU is stock or non stock. If there is an existence of air pockets in the system, the SL will be in "limp mode". And you are right, the dealer is trying to avoid performing the bleeding of the intercooler system without getting paid. (since it's a day job)

Cheers

Adam
Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Todays News

Today the master tech called me.

He said that according to all of their tests, the stock IC pump is fine. It doesn't need to be bled, or re-charged or anything.

He said that the RennTech flash has caused the engine to put more demands on the Stock IC pump, and the stock pump just cant keep up.

Therefore, they recommend that they contact RennTech and have RT send them one of their upgraded IC pumps, and they will install it for me.

So, I gave the tech Bob's name, and I guess now I'll wait for RT to get the upgraded pump to my dealer.

Like I mentioned.. I had a sneaky suspicion this might happen..
Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Today the master tech called me.

He said that according to all of their tests, the stock IC pump is fine. It doesn't need to be bled, or re-charged or anything.

He said that the RennTech flash has caused the engine to put more demands on the Stock IC pump, and the stock pump just cant keep up.

Therefore, they recommend that they contact RennTech and have RT send them one of their upgraded IC pumps, and they will install it for me.

So, I gave the tech Bob's name, and I guess now I'll wait for RT to get the upgraded pump to my dealer.

Like I mentioned.. I had a sneaky suspicion this might happen..
Good luck; this situation is going to get stickier.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:02 PM

Now the waiting game

So, the Service mgr called me this morning.

He has contacted RT in Florida, and is having them build one of their IC pumps, and once it's built RT is to send it to my dealer and they will install it.

This whole process is going to take about a week or so.

Luckily I'm going out of town for a week, so HOPEFULLY the job will be done when I get back.

Fingers crossed.. AGAIN..
Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
Good luck... car looks very nice in pics
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 PM

The lastest 72 hour story

The tech called while I was away on vacation..

"We thought the RT IC upgrade was going to be a simple swap, but it isn't. It's a whole new assembly. This wasn't in my original bid, so we're going to have to re-estimate for you, since there will be some modifications to the front bumper assembly...blah blah blah"

I said, " just do it, and have it done by Monday (today)."

Well, I called there today, and SUPRISINGLY... It's not done.

I can hardly wait for this saga to be over, and start driving that bad boy.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I don't know why you agreed to any of it... you were told above that the car can handle the Renntech ECU flash just fine on the stock Intercooler...

That was a bull**** excuse from the tech and you fell for it... its to late now, but thought you should be aware that they are making you pay for a warranty-covered issue.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by Fantasm
I don't know why you agreed to any of it... you were told above that the car can handle the Renntech ECU flash just fine on the stock Intercooler...

That was a bull**** excuse from the tech and you fell for it... its to late now, but thought you should be aware that they are making you pay for a warranty-covered issue.
ya i kinda agree they should of just replaced the stock pump no problem! but on the other hand if you got the renntech heat exchanger with the new pump it is a good thing to have. your car will run cooler for longer! i have it and im glad i got it!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM

The Final Drive

I must say that I'm very glad the saga is over.

I got the car back from the shop about a week and a half ago, and it does run quite a bit better than before.

I raced my friend in the E55 a couple of days ago from a dead stop, and we were even up to about 60, and then by 90 I had him by about 5 lengths, and still pulling harder. I figure that I was having traction issues up to 60.

I also raced an M3 this morning.. It wasn't even close. We were on the interstate, and he waved me down, and then then we started swerving between the lanes to get a good open spot. Once one opened up, I was behind him, and he hit it, and at about 100, when I noticed that he was giving it all he had, I pulled along side, waved, and blew by him, and at about 130 I had him by about 3-4 lengths.

So, I feel much better now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Some SL65 RennTech Questions