SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 SL600
Originally Posted by c2jones
Many people, even after going to RennTech or any other aftermarket tuner, adamantly abstain from placing any additional badging on their cars. Call them "sleepers" if you will. Many do truly enjoy the performance edge (or other characteristics of the given car) more than just turning heads. You just probably don't witness enough of them here as this forum is chock full of the other type. But they're out there. Its all matter of personal preference, nothing more, respectfully.
Again, let's not kid ourselves. Even if you aren't putting badges on the car, you're still looking to turn heads. These people just like to be deceptive and wait to turn heads until after they beat a car that didn't know what hit it.

Ego is all driven by a human's natural competitive nature. No one is buying these cars (and modding them!) and then just driving them normally. They are showing off in some manner or another. Whether it's at the track, on the highway, or at the beach, it all boils down to the same cup of soup...
Old 04-25-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Whether it's at the track, on the highway, or at the beach, it all boils down to the same cup of soup...
Okay. Variety is the spice of life. All the best to you.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by metalica_23
I originally did include the Viper (that's actually my favorite looking car of the bunch!). I've just heard person after person tell me that it's a phenomenal weekend car and a horrible daily driver...

I need the car to be slightly functional.

SL65 BS in my future as mentioned elsewhere. I do OK for myself, but not "$200k+ OK".

As for the GT-R. Let's just say Nissan has a bad history of putting out test cars that perform far better than the actual cars sold. There's already a lot of skepticism that one of the test cars is putting 480 to the wheels and that there's no way the real cars will be anywhere near that...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...p-at-the-hubs/
I've never been a big fan of Nissan's although I've owned several older generation 300ZX's - while I'm sure the GTR will be a fun car, it's not my style.

When my husand bought his 2000 Viper ACR which was bone stock at the time, it was a pretty comfortable car considering it was a beast. It really wasn't all the difficult to drive either. Of course now, with all of the mods he's done to it, I can't stand to be in the car for more than a few hours at a time!

Many of our friends own 05's and 06's Vipers and they use them as daily drivers and have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm not familiar with the comfortability or functionality of the new ones, but I think it's once again, like anything else, a matter of personal choice. But I will say I do understand what you're talking, but it is ONE SEXY car, IMO

Maybe the Audi R8 might be an option for you? I've heard great reviews on the car, but I don't personally know anything about the car except that IMO it is one good looking vehicle!!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:46 PM

'06 SL600
Originally Posted by itswindee
Many of our friends own 05's and 06's Vipers and they use them as daily drivers and have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm not familiar with the comfortability or functionality of the new ones, but I think it's once again, like anything else, a matter of personal choice. But I will say I do understand what you're talking, but it is ONE SEXY car, IMO

Maybe the Audi R8 might be an option for you? I've heard great reviews on the car, but I don't personally know anything about the car except that IMO it is one good looking vehicle!!!!
Well, it's nice to hear good things about the Viper. I'm definitely a big fan. I should just take one out for an hour or two and judge for myself...

The R8 is a pretty sharp car too, but right now I'm pretty sure it's hard to touch one for under $150k (anywhere from $20-$50k over sticker...)
Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM

that red one
Actually, I would offer up that anyone spending ~$100k+ on any type of performance car is full of malarkey if they say that they are not looking for attention. It's one thing to say you like the "thrill of the ride". But, to say that the look of the car and making heads turn is not part of why you spent that kind of loot is just lying to one's self.

If I wanted performance and not necessarily to turn heads, I could spend far less and get some type of $30k tuner car...

There's always the luxury end, etc., etc. but a big reason there's a market for these vehicles is stroking one's ego. I'm not afraid to admit it.

I'll need to see the ZR1 up close and personal. To me, cars like my E55 and the RS6, M5, etc. don't distinguish themselves enough from their lightweight brethren. Of course, this is why there's such a huge aftermarket for rims, body kits, etc. etc. I'll be curious to see how much is put into making the ZR1 standout from "regular" Vettes (and I tread lightly using the word "regular", as even base Vettes are great bang for the buck...)
There's really only one car that I can think of off the top of my head that "turns heads" and is considered a less expensive car (under 30k) but is performance oriented - the Pontiac Solstice GXP (I traded my 07' in for my current MB). That was one of the "cheapest" cars I plunked money down on and probably received the most "head turning" experiences I have ever had in the seven months I owned the car. No matter where I went, someone always complimented me on what a beautiful/cool/stylish looking car it was. And many times, it was - "What kind of car is that???"

While it looked great from the outside, the interior had some "cheapo" qualities to it (see earlier posts in this thread if interested) and it wasn't a very comfortable car to drive at all but it did turn heads!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM

that red one
Well, it's nice to hear good things about the Viper. I'm definitely a big fan. I should just take one out for an hour or two and judge for myself...

The R8 is a pretty sharp car too, but right now I'm pretty sure it's hard to touch one for under $150k (anywhere from $20-$50k over sticker...)
Very true, but when the ZR1 comes out, it will be the same situation - probably won't be able to touch one of those for under $130k. Anyway, have fun test driving and have fun!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 ML550
If one wants to really turn heads or stroke their ego you can go buy a used Ferarri or Lamborghini for the same price as an SL65. The Ferrari is going to get you more girls and respect than a Mercedes. You can buy a new Porsche Turbo Cab for the less than a new SL65 and get more attention with the Porsche. If anything I would say the SL65 is not showing off because for that money you can get alot of other cars that will do that job better. Hell, how many people will even know the SL65 is that much more money than an SL550?
Some people buy cars because they like them and screw what other people think and it is not about seeking attention, etc.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Based on what you value in a performance vehicle you need to drop the Vette and go with the new nissan GTR. looks like it will run circles around the vette for the same bucks.
Yeah I've seen the tests with the GTR and it narrowly beats the competition..too bad it looks awful...theres no flowing lines or anything remotely sexy about it...other than it being very fast and ready to race at a moments notice. The tests have been against the Z06 and not the ZR1 mind you, but the ZR1 will be at least 20k more than the GTR.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 04-25-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 PM

05 E500
Very true, but when the ZR1 comes out, it will be the same situation - probably won't be able to touch one of those for under $130k.
Its even worse than that to take order of one now from dealerships in my area. Lots of gouging. (I can live with fair pricing, even if its more, than I will tolerate excessive price gouging, even if its still less than other vehicles with higher base stickers. Dignity prevails.) I know two people with ZR1's ordered. They were on the short list because they race Corvettes professionally and have ties to some corporate people. Getting into a ZR1 is close to double of the intro pricing, as I hear from others attempting the list this week. This will be true of many of the newly introduced premium autos. SL65 Black Series (better compared to ZR1 via this thread than the base SL65) will be through the roof. Perhaps getting a deal on a "base" SLR is the ticket.

Minor intrigue, that Viper might be an idea, given its future is somewhat uncertain, one might be able to get a reasonable deal now. Just a mere passing thought. I love that new maroon paint on the current 600 BHP model. Saw a Commemorative Edition tonight. (Of course, I saw a Veyron, an SLR, several Astons, Ferrari's [even two 599's] a Z8 and everything else tonight, too, Ocean Drive, SoBe.)

A business partner is doing the new "2008 Ferrari 612 (Carrozzeria/Scaglietti "One to One Program," and he's also got me thinking about it. Tad pricey, but plenty of specialty application here and more than a little intriguing. A four-seat Ferrari could be as versatile and as much a novelty as MB's "four-door coupe," the CLS, the benchmark of the category. Notice the motivation Raptide and Panerama have in the latter mode. But a Ferrari with a back seat that can be personally customized? Nice.

"Ferrari intends to allow every client to fully personalize this flagship model, courtesy of a wide array of new content as well as the options available through the Carrozzeria Scaglietti Program. In fact, a special dedicated “atelier” area has been set up at the factory in which clients can put together their own bespoke 612 Scaglietti accessory by accessory, detail by detail. In exactly the same way as they would at a haute couture fashion house, owners can choose details and materials they want for their car in consultation with the Ferrari experts who will actually build it to their exact specifications and tastes. Clients will be assisted in making their selections by dedicated Program consultants who can help them at every stage of defining their car’s specification."

http://www.tuningnews.net/article/08...ti-one-to-one/

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/20...ne-Program.htm

Last edited by c2jones; 04-26-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Links
Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 PM

05 E500
The Ferrari is going to get you more girls and respect than a Mercedes.
The only thing that will GET you the girls, is you.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
The only thing that will GET you the girls, is you.
True dat...you will get more gold digging skanks with a Ferrari...!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 AM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Question ...

How do you guys think the ZR-1 will fair against a GT-R V-Spec (which will probably dyno close to 600 HP) that has been chipped with exhaust, etc..?

This will mean that it will probably have over 700 HP and have a 0 to 60 of 3 seconds flat, since the stock GT-R can get it down to 3.3, right?

Either way, that would be a very exciting and interesting race, both in a straight line and around a race track and stoplight to stoplight, down the local highways, etc...

Also, don't forget Nissan will later have the V-Spec "Evo" edition, which will supposedly be a V-Spec on steroids.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 AM

Holden
More info

Curb weight (full gas tank and all fluids) 3324 lbs
Dry weight 3155 lbs

Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 AM

05 E500
Thank You

monaroCountry,

Thank You for this new advanced information and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM

05 E500
How do you guys think the ZR-1 will fair against a GT-R V-Spec
If one wants to continually add to the base car, whether it be factory or aftermarket, costs go up (value then has to be remeasured), these cars end up being more or less racecars in street trim, and there often is no end. This thread was about a comparison of two cars (which really do not compare, at least until Black Series came into the discussion) for which quality, reliability and novelty all took center stage.

Some here have repeatedly levied the GTR into a comparison with ZR1 which goes apart the Mercedes comparison originally intended here. We don't want to take this too far. But if one wants to get into a quest for the fastest car per the price, and one is willing to get into latter special editions of these cars, this could be a open-ended book for quite some time.

I've seen 1,200 HP Z06's with weight reduction of 200 LBS. And Corvette has their own cooperative partners (Callaway, etc.) that will transform the car to all new levels. And as you saw with RennTech and the SLR 722, these tuners will do factory sanctioned editions as well. But to what degree these editions retain the marketplace originally targeted, becomes obscure.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by SL65amg
How do you guys think the ZR-1 will fair against a GT-R V-Spec (which will probably dyno close to 600 HP) that has been chipped with exhaust, etc..?

It won't other then straight line drag strip.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by SL65amg

This will mean that it will probably have over 700 HP and have a 0 to 60 of 3 seconds flat, since the stock GT-R can get it down to 3.3, right?

Either way, that would be a very exciting and interesting race, both in a straight line and around a race track and stoplight to stoplight, down the local highways, etc...

Also, don't forget Nissan will later have the V-Spec "Evo" edition, which will supposedly be a V-Spec on steroids.
I like the look of the GTR but don't get me wrong its not an eye turner imo compared to the ZO6s,AMGs,Bmers...etc...if I had a GTR any spec and a ZR1...etc was riding next to me I would be staring at it. Yes the GTR has great performance but it still lacks in the Eye catching side compared to the others it beats or is as good as...for some reason I feel the old style Skyline is way more attractive...Though performance matters alot its the shock and aw of the design that catches the eyes and I feel the GTR missed that point greatly compared to its competition. I feel its like a Supped up Honda vs a Lambo were the Honda is built to beat the Lambo in performance but no matter what you do you can't modify its exterior to be better looking then a Lambo....plus modded or not a Lambo will always be a dream car while the modded one isn't. Others may have different opinions but this is how I feel...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM

05 E500
It won't other then straight line drag strip.
Another woefully inaccurate chirp from the infamous. Both of these cars are roadcourse cars. The old-school, dated (and getting repugnant) perceptions of a "I have a MB and I know cars" mentality surfaces again. This notion of Corvette being strictly a straightline car dates back over 25 years. You are the least informed to speak. The ZR1 is the better roadcourse car amongst most in the world, including MB (probably even SLR at four times the cost).

And, to conclude that the GTR V-Spec would better the ZR1 whatsoever is pure speculation. You ramble off these utterances totally without a hint of knowledge. I should expect as much.

Last edited by c2jones; 04-29-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:45 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Another woefully inaccurate chirp from the infamous. Both of these cars are roadcourse cars. The old-school, dated (and getting repugnant) perceptions of a "I have a MB and I know cars" mentality surfaces again. This notion of Corvette being strictly a straightline car dates back over 25 years. You are the least informed to speak. The ZR1 is the better roadcourse car amongst most in the world, including MB (probably even SLR at four times the cost).

And, to conclude that the GTR V-Spec would better the ZR1 whatsoever is pure speculation. You ramble off these utterances totally without a hint of knowledge. I should expect as much.
Hey sweet heart your wrong again. Your wording is very prissy. Are you ??? Read the current article in road and track comparing the GT-R track speeds in all corners and straights with the ZO6. The GT-R beats it bad.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM

05 E500
Hey sweet heart your (you're) wrong again. Your wording is very prissy. Are you ???
Not wrong and more man than you'll ever be. And your definitions are limited to your atrociously weak intellectual wherewithal. If I'm "prissy," its only due to the translational level of a juvenile Neanderthal trying to decipher it.

Read the current article in road and track comparing the GT-R track speeds in all corners and straights with the ZO6. The GT-R beats it bad.
This GTR discussion is getting too but I guess its no different from many forums right now. Yet on this MB forum, if one cannot find a performance leverage for SL65, then the GTR will suffice. After all, its a MB, right?

But that initial test is far from the deciding factor. This has been the topic of fierce debate since with many factors causing controversy. The Corvette had a wetter track and had tires not suited for the conditions, while the GTR had better conditions. There is also different results gathered from different testers. Some say there even was a standing start versus rolling start differential and suspicious braking factors, etc. This matter is a long way from over. And that's regarding Z06, not ZR1.

Now, go back and actually read the question (I know its hard for you, but you can take your time and digest it better - no one is rushing you). The question was regarding GTR against ZR1, not Z06. That Buttonwillow test was against Z06, not ZR1. ZR1 has much more power and is lighter. In the end, all things being equal, the jury is still out, but I'd personally expect ZR1 to prevail handily. BTW, SAE certified BHP for ZR1 officially at 638 last Thursday.

You are your own worst enemy. Far more wayward spewing than composed insights from you. Give it up. (At this point, I'm just trying to help you, help yourself.)
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???-readingcomprehension.jpg  

Last edited by c2jones; 04-29-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Added Thumbnail
Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Not wrong and more man than you'll ever be. And your definitions are limited to your atrociously weak intellectual wherewithal. If I'm "prissy," its only due to the translational level of a juvenile Neanderthal trying to decipher it.

This GTR discussion is getting too but I guess its no different from many forums right now. Yet on this MB forum, if one cannot find a performance leverage for SL65, then the GTR will suffice. After all, its a MB, right?

But that initial test is far from the deciding factor. This has been the topic of fierce debate since with many factors causing controversy. The Corvette had a wetter track and had tires not suited for the conditions, while the GTR had better conditions. There is also different results gathered from different testers. Some say there even was a standing start versus rolling start differential and suspicious braking factors, etc. This matter is a long way from over. And that's regarding Z06, not ZR1.

Now, go back and actually read the question (I know its hard for you, but you can take your time and digest it better - no one is rushing you). The question was regarding GTR against ZR1, not Z06. That Buttonwillow test was against Z06, not ZR1. ZR1 has much more power and is lighter. In the end, all things being equal, the jury is still out, but I'd personally expect ZR1 to prevail handily. BTW, SAE certified BHP for ZR1 officially at 638 last Thursday.

You are your own worst enemy. Far more wayward spewing than composed insights from you. Give it up. (At this point, I'm just trying to help you, help yourself.)
Guess i wasted that harvard education, but I did retire in my 40's. vettes are for rednecks that have small dicks. good luck with that
Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 PM

05 E500
Just as I thought...

Guess i wasted that harvard education
If you could have ever made it through the doors, yeah, the time spent was certainly wasted. Real shame.

but I did retire in my 40's.
Like a few of us. Now with all your extra $$ and free time, why not take in a local basic skills course? Who knows, you might gain confidence enough about yourself deep inside to where you are less reliant upon your ego-mobile and more open, diversified and appreciative of more in your life.

vettes are for rednecks that have small dicks.
The old standby chatter of the uninformed, narcissistic, cocksure dwelling.

Some of the brightest automotive (and overall) minds I witness are Corvette owners and interactive forum members thereof. In comparison, I'm afraid you would leave much to be desired, even with your new SL. As I told you before, it goes to show you, the car does not make the person. The ones wishing it would (make them) are always the ones most obvious to others.

And you, of all people, to which your needy, ego-driven persona is always present, would not be referring to deficiencies of the anatomies of others, right? Just making sure.

good luck with that
I'm past the point of seeking luck. But you could sure use some. Every little bit helps.

Last edited by c2jones; 04-29-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added Smilies
Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 PM

CLS63, GLK350
If you could have ever made it through the doors, yeah, the time spent was certainly wasted. Real shame.

Like a few of us. Now with all your extra $$ and free time, why not take in a local basic skills course? Who knows, you might gain confidence enough about yourself deep inside to where you are less reliant upon your ego-mobile and more open, diversified and appreciative of more in your life.

The old standby chatter of the uninformed, narcissistic, cocksure dwelling.

Some of the brightest automotive (and overall) minds I witness are Corvette owners and interactive forum members thereof. In comparison, I'm afraid you would leave much to be desired, even with your new SL. As I told you before, it goes to show you, the car does not make the person. The ones wishing it would (make them) are always the ones most obvious to others.

And you, of all people, to which your needy, ego-driven persona is always present, would not be referring to deficiencies of the anatomies of others, right? Just making sure.

I'm past the point of seeking luck. But you could sure use some. Every little bit helps.
Your great keep up the battle. Life is short and cars are a fun distraction. ive always enjoyed pokin sticks and your good at the responses. enjoy
Old 04-30-2008, 01:03 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Guess i wasted that harvard education, but I did retire in my 40's. vettes are for rednecks that have small dicks. good luck with that
Wow, I hope you're not thinking of running for political office in the future- you have offended, women who drive vettes (I'm a retired 2x vette owner), prominent white collar corvette owners, rednecks in general, and men with small dicks all with the click of a button.

I'm sorry your sexual experience with rednecks who have small dicks that drive vettes has not been a pleasurable experience for you. My momma always said: "it's really not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean." Good luck in finding a more well-endowed MB owner to fulfill your personal needs.

Have fun with your pi&%ing contest...I'm done with this ridiculous thread.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:51 PM

05 E500
In contrast, the greater perception across the masses was that MB owners were the ones doing the compensating for their anatomy with their cars. Prestige mobiles predominantly meant to impress others as much as themselves. (This has been shown in this thread rather clearly.) Additionally, as MB's are seen as disconnecting the driver to the road (automatic transmissions are a fixture) with gismo electronic traction-control and braking elements that aid drivers in being the drivers they otherwise are not, one wonders why such comments would come from the MB camps.

Corvettes (like Vipers, etc.) are considered "big c- -k" cars, because when asked they require the bulk of the man inside to exercise the added degree of courage and stamina necessary to tame such genuine street machines. (Of course, we have some strong women here, too. Go "itswindee." )

Note: I did not invent these perceptions nor do I involve myself with such trivialities. Just stricken by the irony. I have owned many MB's while also greatly appreciating Corvettes and other cars, while never giving such lowly things a second thought.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???