SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Oil Change DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 E63 AMG,'05 SL55 AMG, '05 CLK500 Cab (sold) '02 E55 AMG (Sold)
SL55 Oil Change DIY

Anyone have a link to an SL55 oil change DIY?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by alans1
Anyone have a link to an SL55 oil change DIY?
I haven't seen that info online. If you can find the procedure for another 55K engine it'll be essentially the same except the SL55 oil pan is split and you'll need to drain oil from both the front and rear drain plugs.

If you plan to service your own car it's worthwhile picking up the Mercedes service DVD. Cost is approximately $60 and it contains a ton of useful info: http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9124
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
It is very easy to change your own oil in the 55.

Lift the car

Remove the belly pan

There are 2 drain plugs. Remove and drain oil.

Put back together in reverse order. Lower car.

On the top of the engine there is a cylindrical, gray cap that house the oil filter. Remove and replace the oil filter.

Fill with Mobil 1, 0-40. Check manual for capacity.

You may be able to vacuum the oil out through the auxillary dip stick area, but I haven't tried yet.

Good luck....... grasshopper!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the all the help. I plan to vacuum the oil out and then remove the drain plugs to see if this method works on the split oil pan motor. I will also get new crush washers. I will let you know how things turn out.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
alans1
Keep me posted once you change the oil in the SL55.
I also have a vacuum system but haven't tried on the SL55.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
I just did mine using the vacuum method today and took pictures, with plans for a DIY post. Worked great.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 55 AMG
sucky sucky !!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Over the Edge: Some have stated on the 55 motors ('03 and up) with the split oil pans you could not vacuum out all the oil. That is why I was going to verify that this method worked by removing the drain plugs as well. Did you measure the amount of oil that you removed? Looking forward to your DIY.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
i have vacuumed successfully _all_ oil from a 2004 cl55 car.

the only catch is to vacuum soon (10 min. or so) after a hot engine has been shut off so you can get all the sediment.. if you wait a few hours the sediment goes at the bottom of the oilpan and you might not be able to get it all out.

alex
few cars
Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM

2006 Dodge Viper, 2006 SL55
I just changed the oil in my '06 SL55 this past Saturday. The things you will need are:
1) A set of Rhino ramps to elevate the front of the car. Got it at Pep Boys on sale for $29.99.
2) Oil filter wrench "Type B" from Autozone. Paid $4.99.
3) 9 Quarts of synthetic oil. I purchased Penzoil Synthetic 5W-30 for $6.99/quart at Autozone.
4) Oil filter and two copper drain plug rings from the Mercedes dealer. Paid $24.
5) An 8mm socket and a 13mm socket.
6) Big-a$$ oil pan to catch all 9 quarts of used oil.

I drove the car around to get it up to operating temperature and then parked it on top of the Rhino ramps. I let it cool down for about 30 minutes.

I started with the oil filter first. Unscrew the oil filter cap assembly using the Type B wrench. The oil filter is pressure fitted inside the cap. Carefully remove the cap assembly from the engine. Remove the oil filter and replace with the new filter. There are hash marks on the side of the oil filter. Make sure the bottom edge of the filter cap lines up with the hash mark. Replace three O-rings on the cap assembly (these are supplied with the new oil filter). Insert cap assembly back into engine and initially hand tighten, then torque down using Type B wrench.

There are two plastic uncercarriage trays that need to be removed to access both drain plugs. The front tray is held by four 8mm bolts and the back tray is held by six 8mm bolts. There is a front cross-member that "splits" the oil pan in half. The front drain plug faces the driver's side front tire. Remove it using the 13mm socket. My guestimate is that about 4 quarts were drained from this one. Install a new copper ring on the drain plug and reinstall it to the oil pan. On the backside of the crossmember, the 2nd drain plug faces rearward towards the transmission. Remove this one using the 13mm socket and drain the rest of the oil. Install a new copper ring to this drain plug and reinstall it to the oil pan.

Fill the motor with new motor oil. I filled up eight quarts and then started the motor to check for leaks. After I confirmed that, I added the last quart and reinstalled the undercarriage trays. The rearmost tray is installed first followed by the frontmost tray.

I was tempted to take pictures but my hands were very oily but the oil change is fairly straight forward.

The Mercedes dealership told me that most of the oil could be drained from one drain plug but that was BS. They also tried to discourage me from changing the oil because it would "mess up" the engine computer and it would cost $1200 just for the computer. I checked my invoice from last year's oil change at the dealership and it showed they replaced one copper ring so they only drained about half of the oil, yet they charged me for 9 quarts. Hope this helps!

Robert
Old 01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by chiurw
3) 9 Quarts of synthetic oil. I purchased Penzoil Synthetic 5W-30 for $6.99/quart at Autozone.
Good write-up, Robert.

FWIW, Penzoil Synthetic 5W-30 is not recommended for use with AMG engines. Mercedes recommends 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil that conforms to MB spec 229.3 or 229.5 depending on the year of the car. List of some approved motor oils is here: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:08 PM

2005 SL55
This is a great thread. The mods should sticky this or maybe create a DIY section? Thanks to everyone for the info!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM

2006 Dodge Viper, 2006 SL55
Originally Posted by jmf003
Good write-up, Robert.

FWIW, Penzoil Synthetic 5W-30 is not recommended for use with AMG engines. Mercedes recommends 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil that conforms to MB spec 229.3 or 229.5 depending on the year of the car. List of some approved motor oils is here: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html.
Thanks for the kudos. I went through some of the documentation that came with the car and was easily overwhelmed by the numerous types of approved oils so I picked the Penzoil since it was on sale. I'll probably get crap for saying that. I change the oil in my cars every 6 months so it will be summer time when this car is due and that is when I will pay closer attention to the approved motor oils.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
0w30 is too thin. the hot weight should be 40.

computer can be reset manually. search the net for how-to

the "full" mark on the 55 blown engine is 9.5 quarts of oil. not 9 quarts.

putting the car on ramps will tilt the engine so not all of the oil could be drained. if you want to do a thorough job you need to lift the car flat (jackstands) or go to an oil-change place and ask them to do it for you for $20. well worth the money.

alex
few cars
Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM

SL55AMG
SL55 Oil Replacement

There's no dipstick right?....is the only way of ensuring correct oil levels are in it by measured replacement?.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by 123gf
There's no dipstick right?....is the only way of ensuring correct oil levels are in it by measured replacement?.
You can check the level via the steering wheel, or you can purchase a dip stick from the dealer and use the auxiliary dip stick orifice.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
You can check the level via the steering wheel, or you can purchase a dip stick from the dealer and use the auxiliary dip stick orifice.
Nice one Dino thanks, that goes some way to explain the dazed look when I pulled out a wee nub instead of a dipstick.

Graham
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM

04 SL55 AMG
So, checking oil level is one thing... but without a dipstick, how does one check the condition of the oil, which can usually only be done via looking at it and feeling for viscosity with your fingers.

Can't believe there is no dipstick... I for one am ordering one from my dealer.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM

SL55AMG
SL55 Oil Change

Right enough, I would usually have a check that way myself, a combination of texture and colour usually a good indicator. I had a CLK once that perodically adjusted the indicated "miles to go" until the next service depending on how I drove it, so when I was bimbling around over a period it would increase.

I notice now each time I get the SL serviced it's set at 10k mile intervals....would be interesting to know if this is an optional setting for the Mercedes guys when they service it?...if so I'd be happy to stretch that out a bit if it's not being driven hard, Porsche seem to now have longer service intervals and I'd suspect that with quality oils like Mobil 1 etc that it should be ok on the engine.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did anyone ever figure out if it is possible to vacuum all of the oil out?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 PM

mercedes sl55amg
I just changed the oil in my '06 SL55 this past Saturday. The things you will need are:
1) A set of Rhino ramps to elevate the front of the car. Got it at Pep Boys on sale for $29.99.
4) Oil filter and two copper drain plug rings from the Mercedes dealer. Paid $24.

I drove the car around to get it up to operating temperature and then parked it on top of the Rhino ramps. I let it cool down for about 30 minutes.

I started with the oil filter first. Unscrew the oil filter cap assembly using the Type B wrench. The oil filter is pressure fitted inside the cap. Carefully remove the cap assembly from the engine. Remove the oil filter and replace with the new filter. There are hash marks on the side of the oil filter. Make sure the bottom edge of the filter cap lines up with the hash mark. Replace three O-rings on the cap assembly (these are supplied with the new oil filter). Insert cap assembly back into engine and initially hand tighten, then torque down using Type B wrench.

There are two plastic uncercarriage trays that need to be removed to access both drain plugs. The front tray is held by four 8mm bolts and the back tray is held by six 8mm bolts. There is a front cross-member that "splits" the oil pan in half. The front drain plug faces the driver's side front tire. Remove it using the 13mm socket. My guestimate is that about 4 quarts were drained from this one. Install a new copper ring on the drain plug and reinstall it to the oil pan. On the backside of the crossmember, the 2nd drain plug faces rearward towards the transmission. Remove this one using the 13mm socket and drain the rest of the oil. Install a new copper ring to this drain plug and reinstall it to the oil pan.

Fill the motor with new motor oil. I filled up eight quarts and then started the motor to check for leaks. After I confirmed that, I added the last quart and reinstalled the undercarriage trays. The rearmost tray is installed first followed by the frontmost tray.

I was tempted to take pictures but my hands were very oily but the oil change is fairly straight forward.

The Mercedes dealership told me that most of the oil could be drained from one drain plug but that was BS. They also tried to discourage me from changing the oil because it would "mess up" the engine computer and it would cost $1200 just for the computer. I checked my invoice from last year's oil change at the dealership and it showed they replaced one copper ring so they only drained about half of the oil, yet they charged me for 9 quarts. Hope this helps!

Robert
where can I buy the 006 997 75 48 seal ring to go with the oil drain plug?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:32 PM

mercedes sl55amg
006 997 75 48 seal ring

Robert
where can I buy 006 997 75 48 seal ring, to go with the drain plug?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
$1.18

at autohausaz.com

get your fleece filter air filters and over 50bucks order shipping is free.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by alx
i have vacuumed successfully _all_ oil from a 2004 cl55 car.

the only catch is to vacuum soon (10 min. or so) after a hot engine has been shut off so you can get all the sediment.. if you wait a few hours the sediment goes at the bottom of the oilpan and you might not be able to get it all out.

alex
few cars

Which suction device did you use (MityVac, Griots garage, etc? and was the plastic tube long enough? Was there any oil remaining in the oil pan, since it is split with 2 drain plugs?

You can get the oil dipstick online for $32 plus shipping from this site:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OU:US:1123
Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by solomed
Which suction device did you use (MityVac, Griots garage, etc? and was the plastic tube long enough? Was there any oil remaining in the oil pan, since it is split with 2 drain plugs?

You can get the oil dipstick online for $32 plus shipping from this site:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OU:US:1123

Mityvac 7201

I've used it on my SL600, E500, C240, R500 and Range Rover S/C without problem.

I helpful tip is to drive the car for a few miles first, to heat up the oil a bit. Make sure to open the oil filter housing to allow a vent, while you're siphoning. Fill with Mobil 1 0/40 Euro Formula, using the very large void created by removing the oil filter assembly. Much faster and cleaner.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 12-01-2011 at 01:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Oil Change DIY