SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 AMG buying advise needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
SL55 AMG buying advise needed

I am looking at 2003 SL55 AMG with renntech upgrade with the CF airbox (otherwise I don't know which package), with 45000 miles. Upgrades includes parking sensors and distronic for cruise control.
What I don't like about it is Nav has been changed to an eclipse with big Amps in trunk, where the spare goes and a small crack in front bumper, which has been painted.
What I am worried about, there was some minimal fluid leak, possibly, not 100% sure since only the cover was wet, under the driver site fron corner, I don't know what it could be, Keyless go was not working, passenger window up and down button on the driver sitew was brocken. I drove it it drives nice. The guy got it from auction doesn't know much about it. He is willing to sell it for 34000. is this a good deal, or I should stay away from it.
BTW, I was looking at a regular SL500, but unfortunately i did test drive this one and there is no going back to regular SL500, day and night differnce.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Hamid
Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 SL450
I started out with an '03 SL55. Some 03's had major problems, some have been bulletproof. Owners on this forum can attest to that. With the problems you are already seeing from this 55 - AND not knowing anything about its history other than it being an auction purchase for the current owner - AND with no warranty to back you up, I would stay far away from this car. It may be simple issues to fix, and it may not. Either way, it will be expensive. How much of a gambler are you?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:09 AM

SL55 AMG
SL55 AMG problems

Thanks Bob for your reply.
I have to work with a small budget, there are not a lot of SL55 here in michigan that I can chooe from. Surprisingly this is also the cheapest one that I have seen. I don't want to buy one online without test driving it and the mercedes dealer is selling regular SL500 for way more than this SL55 AMG.
A little more to the history of the car, The dealer that is selling it, bought it around 9 months ago and he has been driving it himself, it was a bank repo. He did have it up for sale for quite some time but claims that there were no problems withh it what so ever, he put around 4000miles on it.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 AM

2003 SL55
Hamid,

I'd keep looking if I were you. I just bought my 2003 sl55 last month. I paid $39,000. It is near flawless outside and in, had less than 20,000 miles on it, and everything works properly. It has keyless go, pano roof, distronic, parktronic and installed radar detector. It was a two owner car, bought serviced and sold at the same dealer both times. The last owner purchased an extended 4 yr warranty that has three years left on it. I looked at many, many SL55s to find this one. All the aftermarket stuff and other issues would scare me away from the one you are looking at. Just my opinion. Good luck and it's definately worth the wait for such an awesome car when you find the right one!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
The history and condition of this car are reflected in the price. I would look elsewhere.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a cheap AMG, and you are better off with a well cared for car for more money than an auction special. I have had a number of clients who got 'deals' and ended up sinking $10-$15K+ in these cars that were sketchy, just to get them straight.

Having said that I am thinking of selling mine. Contact me if interested.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM

i just bought an 04 with 40k on it, absolutely 100% perfectly mint but one tiny chip and 2 years left of warranty for 38k, ide keep looking. there is a nice one on ebay located in boca raton florida i considered you can get for your price range, car looks to be in very good condition
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by hhalimi
I am looking at 2003 SL55 AMG with renntech upgrade with the CF airbox (otherwise I don't know which package), with 45000 miles. Upgrades includes parking sensors and distronic for cruise control.
What I don't like about it is Nav has been changed to an eclipse with big Amps in trunk, where the spare goes and a small crack in front bumper, which has been painted.
What I am worried about, there was some minimal fluid leak, possibly, not 100% sure since only the cover was wet, under the driver site fron corner, I don't know what it could be, Keyless go was not working, passenger window up and down button on the driver sitew was brocken. I drove it it drives nice. The guy got it from auction doesn't know much about it. He is willing to sell it for 34000. is this a good deal, or I should stay away from it.
BTW, I was looking at a regular SL500, but unfortunately i did test drive this one and there is no going back to regular SL500, day and night differnce.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Hamid
Run, don't walk away!

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM

sl 55 amg
Honestly , RUN from that car. It sounds like it has issues that may or may not snowball later on. I have an 04 and bought it from a wholesaler here in Florida. I took it to three independent mechanics before signing the last paperwork. It still had a portion of the factory warranty and I bought an extended.
Its buyer beware especially in these tough times , the repair and upkeep on these cars is not cheap.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Piling on here but SL's are so expensive to to repair, you don't want to buy one that immediately needs repairs. You'd be far better off paying a bit more to buy one in good condition. Undiagnosed fluid leaks are particularly worrisome.

As far as buying online, I personally wouldn't send cash for a car I've never seen but I did buy my car long distance from Mercedes of Greenwich CT, subject to me making a final inspection. The car looked and drove great and is still running strong four years later. I'd have no qualms doing that kind of transaction again.

Benz-O-Rama recently made a similar long distance purchase, which he describes in this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/309003-deals-been-made-new-v12tt-owner.html.

Good luck with the search!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by jmf003
Piling on here but SL's are so expensive to to repair, you don't want to buy one that immediately needs repairs. You'd be far better off paying a bit more to buy one in good condition. Undiagnosed fluid leaks are particularly worrisome.

As far as buying online, I personally wouldn't send cash for a car I've never seen but I did buy my car long distance from Mercedes of Greenwich CT, subject to me making a final inspection. The car looked and drove great and is still running strong four years later. I'd have no qualms doing that kind of transaction again.

Benz-O-Rama recently made a similar long distance purchase, which he describes in this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/309003-deals-been-made-new-v12tt-owner.html.

Good luck with the search!

Fixed the link for ya

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...2tt-owner.html
Old 08-01-2009, 10:22 PM

SL55 AMG
Thank you for all your replies

I am glad I asked the question here, he went down on the price to 30k, but when I asked, if I could take it for an inspection to MB dealer, he said he will call me back and never did. I will keep looking, summer in MI is not very long, but id I find one, I am planing on driving it year long if it doesn't snow or rain.

Thanks, Hamid
Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by hhalimi
I am glad I asked the question here, he went down on the price to 30k, but when I asked, if I could take it for an inspection to MB dealer, he said he will call me back and never did. I will keep looking, summer in MI is not very long, but id I find one, I am planing on driving it year long if it doesn't snow or rain.

Thanks, Hamid
Due diligence and a pre-purchase inspection is your best defense against a potentially costly mistake. You did the right thing. FWIW that car probably had a few (maybe even a lot) of issues the dealer didn't want you to know about. When its time the "right" car will find you.