SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: First Problem: Top is stuck during operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
First Problem: Top is stuck during operation

Well, I'm having my first problem with my SL600

Drove it to work this morning with the top down. When I got to work, I went to close it, and it got stuck after the first step. The trunk lid did it's reverse pivot and stopped there. The up/down switch became unresponsive and the MFD just showed "Top in operation". The flaps that cause most of the headaches, were still in their up/flush position. They never tried to flip under the trunk lid. Roadside assistance said they'd come close it manually for $175.00 which I thought was a bit absurd. So I called my friend at the dealer and he said that after 10 minutes of sitting with the car off and key out of the ignition, the hydraulics will release pressure allowing me to manually close the trunk lid. Sure enough, that worked. I was unable to latch it, but also unable to manually pull it open again.

I drove it to the dealer, 4 miles away, and they're taking a look at it. Hopefully the Fidelity aftermarket warranty will cover it. My S.A. thinks that convertible top operation is not covered. We'll see.

Here's where it got stuck:

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 08-31-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
I hope they cover it! If they don't, it's not worth buying the warranty to begin with.

Chrysler is the best after market warranty IMHO. They cover almost everything!

Keep us updated.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
That sux!You get the car , all psyched about driving it to work and bam...this bs happens.Keep us updated and let us know if the warranty covers it.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
take it over to Hef...your warranty may or may not cover it but even if they don't hef oughtta take care of it for you. The Chryster Service Contract is not the end all be all; they have exclusions also...you just gotta read the fine print. either way it shouldn't be a biggie...others have reported this issue before...

is that the HNS parking lot over in Germantown? looks like it lol! I worked there as my first job outta college!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep Hef's already got his grubby mitts on it. Something about a fuse that keeps blowing. Must be a short somewhere.

And yes that is HNS parking lot. Great eye! Been there about 8 years now
Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Yep Hef's already got his grubby mitts on it. Something about a fuse that keeps blowing. Must be a short somewhere.

And yes that is HNS parking lot. Great eye! Been there about 8 years now
haha Clayton that's crazy man, that lot still looks the same...I knew it lol! What do you do there? which group are you in? I know a few folks over there still...I used to be in Direct PC/TV team back in the day...first job outta college I was a lowly product engineer...background is BSEE from VTech! how bout you? Engineering background also (lots of VSAT in that location)?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
Same thing happened to my SL600 while it was under the factory warranty. The cable had stretched out of tolerance causing the flaps to fold under too late in the sequence. The limit switches then shut down the motors. The service advisor showed me how to fold the flaps under by hand and then the top closure sequence completed. They replaced the cable under warranty.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunir
haha Clayton that's crazy man, that lot still looks the same...I knew it lol! What do you do there? which group are you in? I know a few folks over there still...I used to be in Direct PC/TV team back in the day...first job outta college I was a lowly product engineer...background is BSEE from VTech! how bout you? Engineering background also (lots of VSAT in that location)?
Small world. I'm the Senior Engineer in the Network Architecture and Security group. The fact that you mention DirecPC tells me you were there at least 10 years ago. We are literally light years ahead of that technology today. It would blow your mind if you knew what we're doing with VSAT. We now own our satellites etc... Hell, we even deliver DSL now!

I'm sure we know a few of the same people in HNS. Pradman is still the CEO and enjoys his stable of cars, including his Aston Martin DB9 and Benz S550, amongst others....

Originally Posted by Quadrobenz
Same thing happened to my SL600 while it was under the factory warranty. The cable had stretched out of tolerance causing the flaps to fold under too late in the sequence. The limit switches then shut down the motors. The service advisor showed me how to fold the flaps under by hand and then the top closure sequence completed. They replaced the cable under warranty.
What about my chronic blown fuse? Sounds like different symptoms. My tech didn't get to do much on it today, I'll know more tomorrow.

Will update.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good news and bad news:

The bad news is that one of the hydraulic pumps that operates the top has a short in it. More bad news is that the part is like 1500.00 plus 5 hours labor!

The good news is that the warranty company appears to be paying for it. They are, however, sending someone out to verify the work being done.

Will update.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Dang Clayton it is a small world...and your right I was at HNS in '99...looks like the VSAT initiative has come a long way. Good 'ole Pradman still running the show...we're (actually more my bro than me) are friends with Samir and others...yes your right probably know a lot of the same people...

So how's good ole HNS doing nowadays?

good to see you're on the way to having the top repaired...the last few days have bben PERFECT convertible weather!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dang Clayton it is a small world...and your right I was at HNS in '99...looks like the VSAT initiative has come a long way. Good 'ole Pradman still running the show...we're (actually more my bro than me) are friends with Samir and others...yes your right probably know a lot of the same people...

So how's good ole HNS doing nowadays?

good to see you're on the way to having the top repaired...the last few days have bben PERFECT convertible weather!!!!
Yeah man, Hughes is doing well. We're the World's leader in satellite broadband by a considerable margin. Anyway, I'll talk to you about HNS offline. BTW, are you going to attend this:

http://www.absolutelydriven.com/foru...522#post112522

The last one was great fun and the route is very scenic. People were coming out of their houses and sitting on their front stoops to see the 40 or so Porsches, Ferraris, Benz, BMWs etc, rolling through. It's not something they were used to seeing.

Of course this week has been the BEST week so far for 'verts. Good thing mine is sitting in the garage at the dealer.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Yeah man, Hughes is doing well. We're the World's leader in satellite broadband by a considerable margin. Anyway, I'll talk to you about HNS offline. BTW, are you going to attend this:

http://www.absolutelydriven.com/foru...522#post112522

The last one was great fun and the route is very scenic. People were coming out of their houses and sitting on their front stoops to see the 40 or so Porsches, Ferraris, Benz, BMWs etc, rolling through. It's not something they were used to seeing.

Of course this week has been the BEST week so far for 'verts. Good thing mine is sitting in the garage at the dealer.
dunno if im going to atend...see if I'm upto it that day...

u should attend the At Speed MotorSports show and open house on Sept 19th...that's gonna be a great event!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
god I wish i was there to see this as it happened I know Hef's got your back but let me know if you run into issues in that arena.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JAYCL600
god I wish i was there to see this as it happened I know Hef's got your back but let me know if you run into issues in that arena.
Thanks, Jay

The warranty company sent out a dude to inspect the car today. According the dealer, they wouldn't do that if they weren't expecting to cover the job. My tech is telling me that they're trying to jip him on the hours to do the job though. Should be about 4.7hrs total, they only want to pay for 2.3

I guess there's a lot of behind the scenes dealings when it comes to aftermarket warranty work that the general population doesn't know. I have an inside man, so I hear all these goings on.

**Fingers crossed that they agree to cover it.**

Will update.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Thanks, Jay

The warranty company sent out a dude to inspect the car today. According the dealer, they wouldn't do that if they weren't expecting to cover the job. My tech is telling me that they're trying to jip him on the hours to do the job though. Should be about 4.7hrs total, they only want to pay for 2.3

I guess there's a lot of behind the scenes dealings when it comes to aftermarket warranty work that the general population doesn't know. I have an inside man, so I hear all these goings on.

**Fingers crossed that they agree to cover it.**

Will update.
Clayton all waranty companies have hang ups bro...you're getting a good deal...and you have a high end car...that's the price we pay man...just bite the bullet and get it done...each day that car's in there is another day of convertible goodness in this FAB weather you miss!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Clayton all waranty companies have hang ups bro...you're getting a good deal...and you have a high end car...that's the price we pay man...just bite the bullet and get it done...each day that car's in there is another day of convertible goodness in this FAB weather you miss!!!

Well, there's really no biting the bullet for me. I'll pay my $100.00 deductible regardless of whatever price the warranty company works out with the dealer. I was just saying that the warranty company is trying to say that they think the job should pay for X hours when really it's going to take Y hours. They're just trying to short change the dealer but apparently that's the S.O.P. for aftermarket warranty companies when it comes time to pay out.

Anyway, hopefully it all gets taken care of and I'm back to shredding tires by the end of the week.

The lesson here kids is DO NOT own one of these outside of warranty. My car is as close to new as you'll find in a used car and it only took one month of ownership before I would've shelled out 2 grand for a repair.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 09-02-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Warranty company paid, and it's done. Just got the text from my MB tech. Nice to get real time updates from the mechanic himself and not have to wait on the S.A.

Picking her up in a while. Taking my SA a bottle wine and my tech out to lunch tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Total cost - $2195.00 for the warranty company and $100.00 for me.

WHEW!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
Congrads on the savings......